GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 389 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,100
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Liggio] #1076108
12/05/23 12:48 PM
12/05/23 12:48 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by Liggio
How was Loverde involved in the Masseria hit if he was killed in 1930?

I made a mistake on that one since I was thinking about another individual and forgot to edit my previous post. Tnx for the correction. I dont really remember but i think it mightve been Pollaccia instead of Loverde or something like that....ill check it out

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Toodoped] #1076109
12/05/23 12:49 PM
12/05/23 12:49 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times
Love the FBI documents TD, many thanks for sharing them

Interesting to note or in other words, what we can learn from the situation regarding Loverde and Capone is that even though Loverde was considered the official rep for the Chi family in 1930, STILL or by the end of the day Capone was considered the real power. This info comes from Nick Gentile, old time member of the Mafia and also former representative whose life was once saved by Capone himself. So my point is that in some cases even though some member held the official spot, still there was someone more powerful then him and had all of the respect. In one of the previous threads we talked about the boss of bosses position being officially nixed after 1931, BUT in terms of power there was always someone during certain time periods who was more powerful then the rest of the reps on the commission and controlled most of the votes in his own favour. Sometimes there were alliances of two or three bosses who controlled the whole commission etc.

Excellent points here. That info was really telling

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Liggio] #1076111
12/05/23 01:32 PM
12/05/23 01:32 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by Liggio
How was Loverde involved in the Masseria hit if he was killed in 1930?

Sorry, I just checked. Loverde was killed in November 1931. Sometimes I should stop talking off the top of my head. Again, tnx for the correction.

Interesting to note or in other words, what we can learn from the situation regarding Loverde and Capone is that even though Loverde was considered the official rep for the Chi family in 1930, STILL or by the end of the day Capone was considered the real power. This info comes from Nick Gentile, old time member of the Mafia and also former representative whose life was once saved by Capone himself. So my point is that in some cases even though some member held the official spot, still there was someone more powerful then him and had all of the respect. In one of the previous threads we talked about the boss of bosses position being officially nixed after 1931, BUT in terms of power there was always someone during certain time periods who was more powerful then the rest of the reps on the commission and controlled most of the votes in his own favour. Sometimes there were alliances of two or three bosses who controlled the whole commission etc.

Excellent points here. That info was really telling

I agree since sometimes we forget that we are talking about guys who never reached second grade and so it was quite tough for many of those same street individuals to follow all official rules.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076114
12/05/23 02:29 PM
12/05/23 02:29 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Here's some additional info on Loverde aka "Frank LaCort"...

This is from May 1930 regarding one huge raid...

[Linked Image]

This is also from 1930 regarding Loverde being arrested together with Ricca...

[Linked Image]

In November 1931, Loverde was killed...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076162
12/06/23 04:23 AM
12/06/23 04:23 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Heres one Tribune report from 1935 regarding the situation after the murder of Dutch Shultz..."Charles Siegel" is probably Benjamin Siegel and "Louis Buckhouse" mightve been Louis Buchalter. John Torrio is also mentioned as possible accomplice in the Shultz murder, including Luciano who in turn was allegedly mentioned by Shultz as "the boss" during his pre-death unconscious ramblings, since when the cops asked the dying Shultz on who shot him, the victim allegedly replied "the boss himself". This was all speculation made by investigators at the time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076182
12/06/23 12:06 PM
12/06/23 12:06 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Great stuff! You are quite the historian my friend

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Jimmy_Two_Times] #1076218
12/07/23 02:22 AM
12/07/23 02:22 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Great stuff! You are quite the historian my friend

Thanks a lot for the kind words buddy. Means a lot.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076219
12/07/23 02:41 AM
12/07/23 02:41 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
...btw, heres some additional info from March 1930, regarding a raid in Miami...

[Linked Image]

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Toodoped] #1076221
12/07/23 03:37 AM
12/07/23 03:37 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Originally Posted by Hollander
I believe the ties between Genovese family and the Outfit goes even back to the Five Points gang.

Thats probably right.

IMO Johnny Torrio is still underrated in the history of American Organized Crime/

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076223
12/07/23 04:14 AM
12/07/23 04:14 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

I believe the ties between Genovese family and the Outfit goes even back to the Five Points gang.

Thats probably right.

IMO Johnny Torrio is still underrated in the history of American Organized Crime/

I agree @H. After his adventures in Chicago, he probably went with Luciano, Adonis and the Genovese family, including with some of the old non-Ital leaders which in fact was a sign of the "Chicago way". And if you ask me, the best example regarding Torrio's respectability and stature is when he arrived in Chicago as peacemaker regarding the conflict between Ricca and Accardo (1954 i think).

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076226
12/07/23 06:08 AM
12/07/23 06:08 AM
212-n-305
CNote Offline
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
Johnny Torrio, and to a lesser degree Paul Kelly, are the architects of modern organized crime in America. The James St gang, out of Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn, came to prominence utilizing Kelly's connections at Tammany Hall. Ironically, the Democratic political machine that dominated NYC politics from before the American Civil War, provided the political protection for the gangs political violence. Torrio, a boxing promoter met Kelly, a boxer who once fought Monk Eastman to settle ownership of the 5 Points, at local fights between the 2 boroughs after the City of New York formed in 1898 and the Willie B (Williamsburg Bridge) opened connecting the Lower East Side to Brooklyn. It was through this union, that Torrio, Yale, Vanella, Capone, Masseria, Luciano, Lansky, Siegal connected with each other. Evolving to eventually form the foundation from which rose the edifice of modern organized crime and the American Mafia. Torrio, Iole, Vanella, Capone all hung out in my neighborhood and Al was married at St Mary Shining Star of the Sea in Court St., ten blocks from my apartment in Carroll Gardens. Capone lived at 38 Garfield Pl between 4th and 5th Aves. He received the scars on his face very close to this location in the winter of 1918, in an altercation with Frank Gallucio after Capone insulted his older sister..

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Liggio] #1076237
12/07/23 07:55 AM
12/07/23 07:55 AM
S
Sullycantwell Offline
Made Member
Sullycantwell  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted by blueracing347
That's interesting information. I've never heard of 30-40 leaders of the old mafia being killed after Maranzano. Good stuff TD. Thank you.

This didn’t actually happen. Only a couple people were killed that day and maybe 2 were tied with Maranzano.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Sullycantwell] #1076242
12/07/23 08:57 AM
12/07/23 08:57 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by Sullycantwell
That's interesting information. I've never heard of 30-40 leaders of the old mafia being killed after Maranzano. Good stuff TD. Thank you.

This didn’t actually happen. Only a couple people were killed that day and maybe 2 were tied with Maranzano.

We already said that theres no credibility regarding that claim, "Judge Stoner-field". Wow you're so smart by copying our stuff. Damn you simply showed up out of nowhere when someone said to me "You are quite the historian" lol. Im gald that Im still a thorn in your eyes and I hope you go blind because of it lol You and your friends will never discredit me or my peeps from around here! Please enlighten us with one of your boring articles and vids from 2 years ago with only 50 views. And also say "hi" to Shiny face for me.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076246
12/07/23 10:55 AM
12/07/23 10:55 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Heres one convo between one Philly guy and one NY associate regarding what the media and government did to many alleged "innocent" mobsters and so they mentioned both Luciano and Capone as prime examples from the old days...and I think they were right, especially about Capone Lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076249
12/07/23 11:55 AM
12/07/23 11:55 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
That’s a great conversation. I love seeing how these guys think. They weee pretty spot on.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076261
12/07/23 03:21 PM
12/07/23 03:21 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
They were pretty spot on.

I completely agree @Jimmy and as additional info, they previously also talked about the Apalachin meeting and on how Joe Barabara took all the heat..

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Toodoped] #1076282
12/07/23 06:53 PM
12/07/23 06:53 PM
UK
S
streetbossliborio Offline
Underboss
streetbossliborio  Offline
S
Underboss
UK

Again, you're always welcome bud smile

Money and manpower talks and Capone had that

Last edited by streetbossliborio; 12/07/23 06:53 PM.
Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Toodoped] #1076285
12/07/23 06:54 PM
12/07/23 06:54 PM
UK
S
streetbossliborio Offline
Underboss
streetbossliborio  Offline
S
Underboss
UK
Heres one convo between one Philly guy and one NY associate regarding what the media and government did to many alleged "innocent" mobsters and so they mentioned both Luciano and Capone as prime examples from the old days...and I think they were right, especially about Capone Lol

[Linked Image]

Great read thanks. They certainly were right. Capone as iconic as any ex president and will go down in history as much as any. How crazy is that. Who were the 2 people talking?

Last edited by streetbossliborio; 12/07/23 06:58 PM.
Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: streetbossliborio] #1076359
12/08/23 06:25 AM
12/08/23 06:25 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by streetbossliborio

[Linked Image]

Great read thanks. They certainly were right. Capone as iconic as any ex president and will go down in history as much as any. How crazy is that. Who were the 2 people talking?

You're welcome pal.

The two guy talking were Mario Maggio (part owner of the Maggio Cheese Co. in Philly) and Lou Travaglini from NY who was also employed at Maggio's company.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Toodoped] #1076360
12/08/23 06:55 AM
12/08/23 06:55 AM
S
Sullycantwell Offline
Made Member
Sullycantwell  Offline
S
Made Member

We already said that theres no credibility regarding that claim, "Judge Stoner-field". Wow you're so smart by copying our stuff. Damn you simply showed up out of nowhere when someone said to me "You are quite the historian" lol. Im gald that Im still a thorn in your eyes and I hope you go blind because of it lol You and your friends will never discredit me or my peeps from around here! Please enlighten us with one of your boring articles and vids from 2 years ago with only 50 views. And also say "hi" to Shiny face for me.

Just commenting as I was reading the thread. And you’re still mad you got kicked off BHF? Once again I’m not any of the main posters on there but whatever makes you feel better bud. You’re the main reason that this forum will never be as good as BHF. I wasn’t even talking to u yet you still are insulting me, why so insecure? Are u insecure because you made up a hierarchy based on non-member sources and circumstantial evidence?

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Sullycantwell] #1076361
12/08/23 07:01 AM
12/08/23 07:01 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Just commenting as I was reading the thread. And you’re still mad you got kicked off BHF? Once again I’m not any of the main posters on there but whatever makes you feel better bud. You’re the main reason that this forum will never be as good as BHF. I wasn’t even talking to u yet you still are insulting me, why so insecure? Are u insecure because you made up a hierarchy based on non-member sources and circumstantial evidence?

Im very insecure if you had your heroin shot this morning lol

Originally Posted by streetbossliborio

[Linked Image]

You're welcome pal.

The two guy talking were Mario Maggio (part owner of the Maggio Cheese Co. in Philly) and Lou Travaglini from NY who was also employed at Maggio's company.

In addition, they were previously talking about Profaci and also regarding the Apalachin meeting.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076370
12/08/23 07:24 AM
12/08/23 07:24 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
....heres the convo...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076461
12/09/23 04:33 AM
12/09/23 04:33 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Some additional info...

The first one is taken from a senate hearing that occurred in 1961..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the second one is taken from a testimony on Luciano and Gambino...

[Linked Image]

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: CNote] #1076464
12/09/23 05:20 AM
12/09/23 05:20 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Originally Posted by CNote
Johnny Torrio, and to a lesser degree Paul Kelly, are the architects of modern organized crime in America. The James St gang, out of Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn, came to prominence utilizing Kelly's connections at Tammany Hall. Ironically, the Democratic political machine that dominated NYC politics from before the American Civil War, provided the political protection for the gangs political violence. Torrio, a boxing promoter met Kelly, a boxer who once fought Monk Eastman to settle ownership of the 5 Points, at local fights between the 2 boroughs after the City of New York formed in 1898 and the Willie B (Williamsburg Bridge) opened connecting the Lower East Side to Brooklyn. It was through this union, that Torrio, Yale, Vanella, Capone, Masseria, Luciano, Lansky, Siegal connected with each other. Evolving to eventually form the foundation from which rose the edifice of modern organized crime and the American Mafia. Torrio, Iole, Vanella, Capone all hung out in my neighborhood and Al was married at St Mary Shining Star of the Sea in Court St., ten blocks from my apartment in Carroll Gardens. Capone lived at 38 Garfield Pl between 4th and 5th Aves. He received the scars on his face very close to this location in the winter of 1918, in an altercation with Frank Gallucio after Capone insulted his older sister..

Interesting I read Andy Warhol bought the former HQ of Paul Kelly's gang in 1970.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076466
12/09/23 06:21 AM
12/09/23 06:21 AM
212-n-305
CNote Offline
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
Originally Posted by CNote

Interesting I read Andy Warhol bought the former HQ of Paul Kelly's gang in 1970.

It is a fascinating aspect of the American Mafia, its origins, and the transition from a street gang into the foundations of an enterprise that would impact American society profoundly for decades to come. Ironically, it was through interactions with Tammany Hall that the reigns of power to commit crime in the name of politics would be sanctioned by the establishment. Once that happened, the politicians were blackmailed and bribed into ignoring the many acts of crime perpetrated now for power and money.
Attached is an image of Robert Vanella's funeral home at 29 Madison St. in Manhattan, which is open and operating to this very day.
Also attached is a newspaper add placed by Robert (Roxie) Vanella searching for work.
The James St Gang origins trace back to the Patsy Conroys, a gang of pirates that operated off of Corlears Hook on the East River and hijack river traffic between the end of the American Civil War and the turn of the twentieth century a hundred years ago. Attached is an image of the Patsy Conroys under the boardwalks of Corlears Hook. Pirates are the first example of organized crime in history.
I stand corrected on my previous post, James St wasn't in Brooklyn but instead, in the the Fourth Ward and Corlears Hook area.

Attached Files img_0099.jpgvanellaad.jpgshort-tails.jpg
Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076467
12/09/23 06:28 AM
12/09/23 06:28 AM
212-n-305
CNote Offline
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
The unholy trinity of Frankie Ioele (Yale), Johnny Torrio and Robert ( Roxie) Vanella

Attached Files Screenshot_20231209_052615_Chrome.jpg
Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076488
12/09/23 09:01 AM
12/09/23 09:01 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Vanella returned to NY sometime around the early 1920's I think, meaning he obviously wasnt involved much in the conflicts during Prohibition, although he probably killed more than few people previously for Colosimo and Torrio.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Toodoped] #1076489
12/09/23 09:09 AM
12/09/23 09:09 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Vanella returned to NY sometime around the early 1920's I think, meaning he obviously wasnt involved much in the conflicts during Prohibition, although he probably killed more than few people previously for Colosimo and Torrio.

Vanella is somewhat of a unique Italian surname. He may have been related, as a father, uncle, brother, cousin, to Antonio (Tony) Vanella, a notorious and deadly mafioso who hailed from Downtown New York and was active throughout the 1920s-1960s era.

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: NYMafia] #1076490
12/09/23 09:12 AM
12/09/23 09:12 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by NYMafia

Vanella is somewhat of a unique Italian surname. He may have been related, as a father, uncle, brother, cousin, to Antonio (Tony) Vanella, a notorious and deadly mafioso who hailed from Downtown New York and was active throughout the 1920s-1960s era.

Im not sure but I think that you and I already started this convo in the past but never made a final point. Can you dig up something about it?

Re: Lucky Luciano in Naples [Re: Hollander] #1076492
12/09/23 09:15 AM
12/09/23 09:15 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull