GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 182 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,949
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,347
Posts1,058,989
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY #1075023
11/18/23 08:47 PM
11/18/23 08:47 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Anthony “Tony Whispers” DeStefano – The Cosa Nostra Capo of Syracuse, NY

Tony DeStefano rose through the ranks of Cosa Nostra’s Magaddino Crime Family to become capo of a small crew based in Syracuse, New York where he lived and operated most of his life. His specialty was the gambling rackets and when the FBI came calling, nothing was off-limits when it came to “getting” their man.

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/tony-whispers-destefano-cosa-nostra-capo-of-syracuse-ny/

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075087
11/19/23 05:21 PM
11/19/23 05:21 PM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button
Seems like DeStefano's arrival as a capo rank in Syracuse was because of avoid left in the gambling in Syracuse by the early 1960s as part of the fallout in Utica/Rome/Syracuse because of Appalachia..Maggadino must have seen it as an opportunity to move DeStefano into the area from Fulton after the government had cracked down on the biggest gambling operations in Syracuse were shut down and as some of them had died off.

Maybe DeStefano came with a few of his own crew in Fulton and inherited what maybe the government left in shambles of the early operators of gambling,as well as inheriting younger guys just coming up at that time.Eventually recruiting other bookmakers one by one to join in in some capacity or the other

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Havana] #1075142
11/20/23 01:22 AM
11/20/23 01:22 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Havana
Seems like DeStefano's arrival as a capo rank in Syracuse was because of avoid left in the gambling in Syracuse by the early 1960s as part of the fallout in Utica/Rome/Syracuse because of Appalachia..Maggadino must have seen it as an opportunity to move DeStefano into the area from Fulton after the government had cracked down on the biggest gambling operations in Syracuse were shut down and as some of them had died off.

Maybe DeStefano came with a few of his own crew in Fulton and inherited what maybe the government left in shambles of the early operators of gambling,as well as inheriting younger guys just coming up at that time.Eventually recruiting other bookmakers one by one to join in in some capacity or the other

Havana, after thinking about what you just mentioned, "De Stefano's arrival as a capo rank in Syracuse was because of a void left in the gambling in Syracuse by the early 1960s, as part of the fallout of Appalachin," - that makes sense to me. I think you may be right. His ascension dovetails with those events. De Stefano filled that void.

Good assessment!

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075152
11/20/23 01:37 PM
11/20/23 01:37 PM
Underground
Toodoped Online off
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Online Off
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Great article as always and thanks.

As capo or territorial boss for one large area, did DeStefano had any made members or member/lieutenant under his rule who acted as crew boss or crew bosses for other made guys and associates from that same group?

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075157
11/20/23 03:22 PM
11/20/23 03:22 PM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button
Originally Posted by NYMafia

Havana, after thinking about what you just mentioned, "De Stefano's arrival as a capo rank in Syracuse was because of a void left in the gambling in Syracuse by the early 1960s, as part of the fallout of Appalachin," - that makes sense to me. I think you may be right. His ascension dovetails with those events. De Stefano filled that void.

Good assessment!

Syracuse had a long history of things going on : A hot spot on East Coast for gambling. A history of police and pilitical orruption known about nationwide.Prostitution. Loan sharking .. Huge gambling raids on a regular basis which were dseemingly just for show ,since as fast as the big shots could bail guys out,they'd go from jail right back to their establishments. There was evidently a lot of evidence that they were part of some kind of "mob" or "syndicate" They words mafia and cosa nostra were not used much,if at all.
Supposedly the newspapers there eventually hired some reporters whose mission was to prove that guys there in Syracuse were mob connected. These reporters evidently even did some undercover type work,obsessed with proving a connection.

Although in earlier times there were mafias , during Prohibiotion, those types of early days crimes were replaced by bootlegging,ewhich was also multi ethnic,and so the words like mafia ,camorra,etc were not used and they early "mafia" was thought to be long gone. That is except by certain people,like the reporters who wanted not only to prove the mob connection with things like gambling,but also to show the level of corruption

Then the mobsters,all Italian,were raided in Appalachia,and the nation pretty much accepted that the mafia never disappeaed.But that didn't necessarily mean that Syracuse was part of it. So over the next couple years investigators put together what they could find by examing the guys caught at Appalachia. A couple of men caught were from Utica.If any guys were there from Syracuse they must have been some of those that got away.

It wasn't long until investigators found phone records of Utica guys caught at Appalachia,that showed calls to certain people in Syracuse,who themselves were later shown to have friends,families of known gangsters in places like Buffalo,Penndylvania,etc.
Did that prove that those records meant that there was any connection to those running gambling in Syracuse and the people in Syracuse who were they ones called? Not in my opinion.Whether it was true or not,just because somebody at Appalachia has something to do with people they called in Syracuse does not mean those Syracusans had anything to do with the Syracuans operating gambling

But the reporters figured they'd made their case and as a result the governmen t did crack down on the biggest of the guys involved in gambling and other organized crime in Syracuse.Shut them right down after decades of running gambling like they had a record.Some guys disappeared,others died,and everything was never wide open again.
After awhile DeStefano . must have come to Syracuse.Evidently he was from Fulton and somehow already involved with the "cosa nostra' as a soldier.
His Boss must have then told him to go to Syracuse and reorganize the gambling there. And continue to recruit independent bookmakers,etc into the fold

. I'd imagine that before the crackdown and the arrival of DeStefano,that the reporter was probably right. That some of the biggest operators were connected to different mafia families,although probably Maggadino was the head of a big chunk of it,if not all of it,even before DeStefano. But there may bhave been some of the previous Syracuse gambling kingpins who had or at least once had old connections to other families ,possibly in NYC, or Chicago or elsewhere

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Toodoped] #1075159
11/20/23 03:30 PM
11/20/23 03:30 PM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button
Originally Posted by Toodoped

As capo or territorial boss for one large area, did DeStefano had any made members or member/lieutenant under his rule who acted as crew boss or crew bosses for other made guys and associates from that same group?

He probably had a few made guys ,i.e, Soldiers with him,maybe others proposed,and still others nobody knew about. Finally or his other made guys and associates, might well have had connections with other Syracusans who might have associated with the larger DeStefano group but whose own family might have been they were made or associates in other cities,whether it was NYC families or elsewhere. Or some who could also have old memberships in the Sicilian mafia,the Camorra,or the Calabrian groups.

Do I know any of this to be true? Not one word.But its possible and one could make it make sense

To this day most people in the area around Syracuse and beyond,will likely believe none of this LOL

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Havana] #1075164
11/20/23 05:13 PM
11/20/23 05:13 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

He probably had a few made guys ,i.e, Soldiers with him,maybe others proposed,and still others nobody knew about. Finally or his other made guys and associates, might well have had connections with other Syracusans who might have associated with the larger DeStefano group but whose own family might have been they were made or associates in other cities,whether it was NYC families or elsewhere. Or some who could also have old memberships in the Sicilian mafia,the Camorra,or the Calabrian groups.

Do I know any of this to be true? Not one word.But its possible and one could make it make sense

To this day most people in the area around Syracuse and beyond,will likely believe none of this LOL

Havana, I see that you're interested in Syracuse, so go onto our website, www.thenewyorkmafia.com and click the link for "Charts." Then scroll down until you see "The Anthony DeStefano Regime of Syracuse." You'll really enjoy it. I list hundreds of the city's hoodlums who were affiliated with De Stefano, and by extension, Buffalo's Magaddino Family, but I also list many of his top men and closest aides (some of whom were indeed "goodfellas" themselves.) The "made" men are marked as such by a special hieroglyphic I inserted next to their names.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075167
11/20/23 05:35 PM
11/20/23 05:35 PM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button

Havana, I see that you're interested in Syracuse, so go onto our website, www.thenewyorkmafia.com and click the link for "Charts." Then scroll down until you see "The Anthony DeStefano Regime of Syracuse." You'll really enjoy it. I list hundreds of the city's hoodlums who were affiliated with De Stefano, and by extension, Buffalo's Magaddino Family, but I also list many of his top men and closest aides (some of whom were indeed "goodfellas" themselves.) The "made" men are marked as such by a special hieroglyphic I inserted next to their names.

I lived just outside for a period of time. I'll check it out. I once read a free article a couple years ago about Upstate and I have to say that it was amazing the things you uncovered.Not only Upstate but everywhere.Not the usual names.But guys everybody knew. You seemed to have a lot of knowledge of all the places. Where do you find such detail for so many places everywhere in the country

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Havana] #1075179
11/20/23 06:54 PM
11/20/23 06:54 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I lived just outside for a period of time. I'll check it out. I once read a free article a couple years ago about Upstate and I have to say that it was amazing the things you uncovered.Not only Upstate but everywhere.Not the usual names.But guys everybody knew. You seemed to have a lot of knowledge of all the places. Where do you find such detail for so many places everywhere in the country

LOL. Yes Havana, thank you for that nice compliment. I believe you're referring to the expose' I wrote, titled, "The Underworld Landscape of Upstate New York." I spent many months researching, vetting, and then composing that piece.

I chose that particular area for further research because I was absolutely amazed at the tremendous amount of underworld and racket activity there. Yet, nobody but nobody, had ever delved into the subject matter. The best you ever heard about, was the 1957 "Apalachin Meeting" or the Buffalo Family under Magaddino. But the entire Upstate New York area was an untapped, treasure trove of mob doings and history....So I just felt that I had to tackle that project..."It was calling out my name." Lol

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075183
11/20/23 07:03 PM
11/20/23 07:03 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

And, I believe, as you and I have discussed previously, Syracuse (in particular) had a huge contingent of Calabrian racketeers, "uomini di rispetto" or "men of honor," who controlled their own autonomous rackets and network for upwards of a century. I view it as a very unique city in that regard.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075209
11/20/23 10:50 PM
11/20/23 10:50 PM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button
And, I believe, as you and I have discussed previously, Syracuse (in particular) had a huge contingent of Calabrian racketeers, "uomini di rispetto" or "men of honor," who controlled their own autonomous rackets and network for upwards of a century. I view it as a very unique city in that regard.

Yes but where do you find this information.What kind of sources do you use?

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Havana] #1075212
11/20/23 11:01 PM
11/20/23 11:01 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Yes but where do you find this information.What kind of sources do you use?

LOL, well, it takes a helluva lot of digging...and time, I'll tell you that much. Lol.

Depending upon the particular bio or historical piece we're doing, we'll use a ton of varied sources, some of which are FOIA, newspaper archives, federal and local law enforcement files, friends and family members, personal interviews, news reels, magazines, etc., etc.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075250
11/21/23 06:02 PM
11/21/23 06:02 PM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button
[
LOL. Yes Havana, thank you for that nice compliment. I believe you're referring to the expose' I wrote, titled, "The Underworld Landscape of Upstate New York." I spent many months researching, vetting, and then composing that piece.

I chose that particular area for further research because I was absolutely amazed at the tremendous amount of underworld and racket activity there. Yet, nobody but nobody, had ever delved into the subject matter. The best you ever heard about, was the 1957 "Apalachin Meeting" or the Buffalo Family under Magaddino. But the entire Upstate New York area was an untapped, treasure trove of mob doings and history....So I just felt that I had to tackle that project..."It was calling out my name." Lol
[/quote]

Can you please answer these 3 questions?

Do you think that some Syracusans or Uticans or other Upstate guys, possibly known as Associates of either Maggadino,Falcone or DeStefano could have been active or one time active guys from other Families in NYC or elsewhere?
Or could guys known as Associates of DeStefano,etc still be members of the Calabrian or Camorra Familes?
Finally, Do you think the Luciano/Grenovese or Anastasia Families ever had guys in Syracuse,Utica.and Upstate?

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Havana] #1075284
11/22/23 02:57 AM
11/22/23 02:57 AM
Underground
Toodoped Online off
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Online Off
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground

Thanks for your answer.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Toodoped] #1075297
11/22/23 09:16 AM
11/22/23 09:16 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Thanks for your answer.

I believe he primarily had a large group of associates, rather than "made guys" per se. Remember too, that many of the men who lived and/or operated in Syracuse, Sam Farrar, Frank Pelli, Netro, etc., were also allied (and maybe technically "with") the Falcone's out of Utica. De Stefano himself was somewhat subservient and took direction from Joe Falcone.

To answer the other part of your question, about some of his associates, in fact, "having old memberships in the Camorra and Calabrian groups," I think that's a near fact. And I'm certain that some Syracusans also had "old ties" to certain mafiosi down in NYC.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Havana] #1075302
11/22/23 11:02 AM
11/22/23 11:02 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
[

Do you think that some Syracusans or Uticans or other Upstate guys, possibly known as Associates of either Maggadino,Falcone or DeStefano could have been active or one time active guys from other Families in NYC or elsewhere?
Or could guys known as Associates of DeStefano,etc still be members of the Calabrian or Camorra Familes?
Finally, Do you think the Luciano/Grenovese or Anastasia Families ever had guys in Syracuse,Utica.and Upstate?

[/quote]

Yes. Syracuse had members who were with NHdrangheta, and Camorra. Utica had members who belonged to Agrigento and Trapani mostly Agrigento province.
The area from Auburn to Utica I can give some info. In Auburn, Tommy Gagliano had a soldier there up till from early 1930s to mid 1950s. Syracuse had people from Gambino and Genovese from 1930s until Frank Costello and Albert Anastasia were no longer bosses. Utica still has guys who are associated with the Bonanno, Colombo, and Gambino families to this day in the area. Other Italian groups that operate in those surrounding areas are Auburn, Vibo Valentia (Calabrians up until early or mid 1980), Trabia (Sicilians, up till the Pizza Connection) Syracuse, Calabrians (Cosenza up to the 1970s, Cetraro up to the 1960s, Cutro up to the 1970s, Villa San Giovanni up to the 1990s, two others from Reggio Calabria up to the 1980s.) Camorra (Salerno, up till 1970s, Mondragone up to the 1990s.) Sicilian (Cinisi till 1960s, Riesi till Pizza Connection) Utica, Calabrians(Guringa up to the 1970s), Sicilians (Villabate up till mid 1950s, Alcamo till 1970s, Castellammare Del Golfo till Pizza Connection, Canicatti till 1990s). Today Syracuse has guys from Tegano, Reggio Calabria who operates in the area information is almost 10 years old. Utica has guys from Sciacca, Agrigento who operates in the area, information is almost 5 years old.
Hope that helps.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1075348
11/23/23 09:54 AM
11/23/23 09:54 AM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
[

Yes. Syracuse had members who were with NHdrangheta, and Camorra. Utica had members who belonged to Agrigento and Trapani mostly Agrigento province.
The area from Auburn to Utica I can give some info. In Auburn, Tommy Gagliano had a soldier there up till from early 1930s to mid 1950s. Syracuse had people from Gambino and Genovese from 1930s until Frank Costello and Albert Anastasia were no longer bosses. Utica still has guys who are associated with the Bonanno, Colombo, and Gambino families to this day in the area. Other Italian groups that operate in those surrounding areas are Auburn, Vibo Valentia (Calabrians up until early or mid 1980), Trabia (Sicilians, up till the Pizza Connection) Syracuse, Calabrians (Cosenza up to the 1970s, Cetraro up to the 1960s, Cutro up to the 1970s, Villa San Giovanni up to the 1990s, two others from Reggio Calabria up to the 1980s.) Camorra (Salerno, up till 1970s, Mondragone up to the 1990s.) Sicilian (Cinisi till 1960s, Riesi till Pizza Connection) Utica, Calabrians(Guringa up to the 1970s), Sicilians (Villabate up till mid 1950s, Alcamo till 1970s, Castellammare Del Golfo till Pizza Connection, Canicatti till 1990s). Today Syracuse has guys from Tegano, Reggio Calabria who operates in the area information is almost 10 years old. Utica has guys from Sciacca, Agrigento who operates in the area, information is almost 5 years old.
Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Appreciate your answer.as well as NYM answers.
From what you know about from Auburn to Utica, what was going on in Rome from early 1900s to 1960s or 1970s? And what figures from operated in that broader area from Cosenza ?
And what was the relationship of Auburn to the other towns in between Auburn and Utica? Were there big crap games occasionally in Auburn and if so who ran them?
Finally even though its outside the area ,you may know if was there was ever a guy in Rochester named Romano? Or who were the top guys in Rochester from 1900s to 1950s before the Valenti crew?

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075370
11/23/23 02:28 PM
11/23/23 02:28 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Did Joe DiCarlo have any made men in his Youngstown crew?

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: BarrettM] #1075466
11/25/23 05:10 AM
11/25/23 05:10 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by BarrettM
Did Joe DiCarlo have any made men in his Youngstown crew?

Barrett, thats an interesting question. But truthfully, I cannot answer that. We do know that Di Carlo relocated for a time to Youngstown and actually became a power in the area. And aside from whatever he inherited or took over, it does make sense that he would have had a few "in house" guys to help him accomplish these goals. But I've never delved into it so I can't speak to that.

But, tell ya what. When I get the time I'll try and dig into it a little and see if we can't get a few answers, ok.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075467
11/25/23 05:12 AM
11/25/23 05:12 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
On Rome NY. There was bootlegging done by the Sonsini brothers and Jack Di Bella. Jack Di Bella was big in upstate New York, his operations were in Rome, Utica, Amsterdam, Albany, Troy and Schenectady areas. Answered to NYC, suspected to have been killed by NYC after a still exploded in the Schenectady area, and a failure of shipment from Troy to NYC, since there is no trace of him after the explosion and hospital visit. The Sonsini brother went legit after the end of prohibition. Gambling, bookmaking were big along with unions. Rocco Gualtieri gets brought up, but he was only an associate on record so no one would mess with him, it was for his protection as many mafiosi were grateful for all he had done for the community and helping it grow. Gualtieri was not involved in crime. Members of importance were Paul Raulli who ran Rome, Vincenzio Pinti, Luigi DeLutis, Frank Russo Sr, and Frank Russo Jr. Rome answered to Utica. Rosario Mancuso visited Rome once a year to do a score, but messed up by robbing a good friend of Paul Raulli which caused a major sitdown, and thus Mancuso stopped doing jobs and became a fence. From mid 1950s till the 1980s, the Russos ran Rome. When Joe Todaro Sr, became boss, Jr cut ties, Sr already had cut ties when the Cat came to Utica and was changing things up which Frank did not like. By mid 1970s Rome lost much influence in the unions, when Joe Todaro Sr became boss, they lost almost all of it.

Cosimo Ianniceeli from Cosenza operated from late 1960s till the first Nhdrangheta war in the mid 1970s in Syracuse. Involved in Narcotics mainly, but some gambling which he kicked up to Anthony Destefano and Salvatore Falcone, sending the rest back to Cosenza which was drug profits. He answered to both Cosenza and Salvatore Falcone, which leads me to believe that the Falcones had a lot more say in Syracuse also a few other major things, such as unions, and transferring of associates.

Auburn was part of the Bufalino family, yes people say that Buffalo controlled Auburn, but evidence says differently. For the most part Bufalino and Falcones got along great till the 1970s, when Pittston was trying to move into areas with gambling, and drugs. Then there was the big union fiasco, when both Bufalino and the Falcones were trying to push their guys into key positions, neither side budging, which was good for them cause they couldn't put people in key places and the auditors did not find any major corruption, just low level employees stealing, property damage and running a crap game in one of the bathrooms which I laugh at, but overall the auditors cleared the four unions which upset the feds. During that time there were a few beat downs, but no killings when Pittston and Falcones were in disagreements. The top guys in Auburn were the Monachino brothers, Pat Sciortino, Salvatore Trivalino, and Agostino Santini who was mad in the Lucchese family. The two guys that ran gambling, bookmaking, drugs, and unions were Sciortino, and Trivalino up till the 1980s.

The Top guys in Rochester before Valentis took over were Patsy Amico, Vito Piccaretto, Al Boscarino, Jake Russo, Erasmo Mutolo also known as Doc Romano, the Ida brothers, Vincenzo Colletti before he moved to Colorado eventually becoming boss of that family, and Salvatore Pietropaolo.

BerrettM, only his brother. One associate would return to Buffalo and be made into the NF crew.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075468
11/25/23 05:28 AM
11/25/23 05:28 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Interesting data, Giacomo.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075469
11/25/23 05:37 AM
11/25/23 05:37 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Alfio Boscarino was a name I've heard. He was one of many early racketeers operating up around the Rochester area.

We also know that Rome, itself, was generally under the control and auspices of Falcone's Utica crew since the 1920s. And that Frank Russo Sr., alleged to be one of their members, was said to have been an early player up that way also, and in Syracuse. And, of course, we know that the Monachino brothers and Pasquale Sciortino were active around Auburn, (all three of them got caught at Apalachin in 57' and were suspected to have been answerable to Joe Barbara.)

But as far as Youngstown goes and DiCarlo's crew and subordinates there, thats still a murky affair that has to be looked into to.

Last edited by NYMafia; 11/25/23 05:38 AM.
Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075470
11/25/23 06:04 AM
11/25/23 06:04 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

BarrettM, here's what I've been able to dig up, so far, regarding Di Carlo's crew members and subordinates while he ruled the Youngstown area.

Each of the following hoodlums was said to be directly part of Di Carlo's Youngstown crew (with many more unknowns in the lurch); Jasper (Fats) Aiello was said to have been DiCarlo's top ally and closest aide and number two man.

But here are some others we know who were "with" Di Carlo's Gang;
Joseph Augello
Joseph (Shorty) Bardinello
Nicholas Barone
Nicholas Constantino
Samuel (Toto) Di Carlo
Raymond (Ray) Lanese
Vincenzo (Jimmy) Lupo
Joseph Pieri
Joseph Romano

Note: Its also believed that several Buffalo-based soldiers like Salvatore (Sam) Brocato relocated for a time down to Youngstown to assist Di Carlo in his efforts to dominate the city, with Brocato and the others relocating back to Buffalo after Di Carlo left his position and headed to Miami, Florida. Additionally, while Di Carlo was in power he encouraged other mafiosi and racketeers from other various parts of the country to join up with him in his "takeover" of Youngstown's rackets.

This is why the exact answer of who controlled Youngstown, and who was "with" DiCarlo is a bit murky. Because over the years many varied guys and Mafia factions participated in the takeover and later grabbed pieces of the city for their own.

I'll dig up a few more for you also, ok? I hope this partially answers your question.

Last edited by NYMafia; 11/25/23 06:48 AM.
Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075486
11/25/23 08:16 AM
11/25/23 08:16 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Correction on Rome. Angelo Coia ran Rome. His righthand man was Vincenzio "The Enforcer" Pinti. Paul and Agostino Raulli were associates. Jimmy Sonsini son Frank became an associate. There is another 25 associates up to the 1980s, that are known, minus the associates that answered to Utica.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1075497
11/25/23 12:18 PM
11/25/23 12:18 PM
H
Havana Offline
Button
Havana  Offline
H
Button
On Rome NY. There was bootlegging done by the Sonsini brothers and Jack Di Bella. Jack Di Bella was big in upstate New York, his operations were in Rome, Utica, Amsterdam, Albany, Troy and Schenectady areas. Answered to NYC, suspected to have been killed by NYC after a still exploded in the Schenectady area, and a failure of shipment from Troy to NYC, since there is no trace of him after the explosion and hospital visit. The Sonsini brother went legit after the end of prohibition. Gambling, bookmaking were big along with unions. Rocco Gualtieri gets brought up, but he was only an associate on record so no one would mess with him, it was for his protection as many mafiosi were grateful for all he had done for the community and helping it grow. Gualtieri was not involved in crime. Members of importance were Paul Raulli who ran Rome, Vincenzio Pinti, Luigi DeLutis, Frank Russo Sr, and Frank Russo Jr. Rome answered to Utica. Rosario Mancuso visited Rome once a year to do a score, but messed up by robbing a good friend of Paul Raulli which caused a major sitdown, and thus Mancuso stopped doing jobs and became a fence. From mid 1950s till the 1980s, the Russos ran Rome. When Joe Todaro Sr, became boss, Jr cut ties, Sr already had cut ties when the Cat came to Utica and was changing things up which Frank did not like. By mid 1970s Rome lost much influence in the unions, when Joe Todaro Sr became boss, they lost almost all of it.

Cosimo Ianniceeli from Cosenza operated from late 1960s till the first Nhdrangheta war in the mid 1970s in Syracuse. Involved in Narcotics mainly, but some gambling which he kicked up to Anthony Destefano and Salvatore Falcone, sending the rest back to Cosenza which was drug profits. He answered to both Cosenza and Salvatore Falcone, which leads me to believe that the Falcones had a lot more say in Syracuse also a few other major things, such as unions, and transferring of associates.

Auburn was part of the Bufalino family, yes people say that Buffalo controlled Auburn, but evidence says differently. For the most part Bufalino and Falcones got along great till the 1970s, when Pittston was trying to move into areas with gambling, and drugs. Then there was the big union fiasco, when both Bufalino and the Falcones were trying to push their guys into key positions, neither side budging, which was good for them cause they couldn't put people in key places and the auditors did not find any major corruption, just low level employees stealing, property damage and running a crap game in one of the bathrooms which I laugh at, but overall the auditors cleared the four unions which upset the feds. During that time there were a few beat downs, but no killings when Pittston and Falcones were in disagreements. The top guys in Auburn were the Monachino brothers, Pat Sciortino, Salvatore Trivalino, and Agostino Santini who was mad in the Lucchese family. The two guys that ran gambling, bookmaking, drugs, and unions were Sciortino, and Trivalino up till the 1980s.

The Top guys in Rochester before Valentis took over were Patsy Amico, Vito Piccaretto, Al Boscarino, Jake Russo, Erasmo Mutolo also known as Doc Romano, the Ida brothers, Vincenzo Colletti before he moved to Colorado eventually becoming boss of that family, and Salvatore Pietropaolo.

BerrettM, only his brother. One associate would return to Buffalo and be made into the NF crew.

Have you heard of the name Domenico in Rome around the time of start of Prohibition? Produce guys.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075499
11/25/23 01:05 PM
11/25/23 01:05 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

BarrettM, here's what I've been able to dig up, so far, regarding Di Carlo's crew members and subordinates while he ruled the Youngstown area.

Each of the following hoodlums was said to be directly part of Di Carlo's Youngstown crew (with many more unknowns in the lurch); Jasper (Fats) Aiello was said to have been DiCarlo's top ally and closest aide and number two man.

But here are some others we know who were "with" Di Carlo's Gang;
Joseph Augello
Joseph (Shorty) Bardinello
Nicholas Barone
Nicholas Constantino
Samuel (Toto) Di Carlo
Raymond (Ray) Lanese
Vincenzo (Jimmy) Lupo
Joseph Pieri
Joseph Romano

Note: Its also believed that several Buffalo-based soldiers like Salvatore (Sam) Brocato relocated for a time down to Youngstown to assist Di Carlo in his efforts to dominate the city, with Brocato and the others relocating back to Buffalo after Di Carlo left his position and headed to Miami, Florida. Additionally, while Di Carlo was in power he encouraged other mafiosi and racketeers from other various parts of the country to join up with him in his "takeover" of Youngstown's rackets.

This is why the exact answer of who controlled Youngstown, and who was "with" DiCarlo is a bit murky. Because over the years many varied guys and Mafia factions participated in the takeover and later grabbed pieces of the city for their own.

I'll dig up a few more for you also, ok? I hope this partially answers your question.

At one time, Giuseppe "Joe the Wolf" Di Carlo was a very powerful mafioso, as clearly evidenced by his ability to transcend cities and yet still remain as a boss.

I'll also try and pull a few more names of fellas active under him in Youngstown.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: Havana] #1075502
11/25/23 03:20 PM
11/25/23 03:20 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar

Have you heard of the name Domenico in Rome around the time of start of Prohibition? Produce guys.

The only Domenico who visited Rome at least once a week is Domenico Aiello. He worked with his brother in law Pietro Lima. Both were Utica guys and worked with Jack Di Bella, and worked for Salvatore Falcone. Dont know if he was active at the start of prohibition in the area but by mid 1920s they were in the presence of Jack Di Bella, Carmen Tusoto, Angelo Coia, Vincenzio Pinti, Jim Sonsini in Rome along with Rosario Gambino, his son Peter Gambino, and Joseph Lima of Utica. Domenico owned a grocery store, he had one before that had burned in 1920. 1934, both Domenico Aiello and Pietro Lima were found in a bullet ridden car shot to death in Utica. That is the only Domenico I have for the area of Rome like I said he was a Utica guy. Domenico daughter married Salvatore Falcone son.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075504
11/25/23 03:25 PM
11/25/23 03:25 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Thats right Giacomo. The Limas were prominent there until they got whacked out. At some point, I believe that suspicion for their murders traced back to the Falcone brothers. In later years, the Falcones reportedly looked out for the Lima family for this very reason. And I think Aiello, Lima and Falcone may have had some sort of a blood/in-law relationship there also.

We are talking about a time period dating back to the turn of the century, into the early 1920s, before the amalgamation of Napolitani, Calabrese and Sicilians and the forming of "Cosa Nostra."

Last edited by NYMafia; 11/25/23 03:35 PM.
Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075521
11/25/23 05:22 PM
11/25/23 05:22 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Some corrections. Paul Russo is made, Frank Jr is an associate in house. Aiello and Lima were shot by someone in the backseat, not bullet ridden.

Pietro Lima sons remained associates. Joseph moved back to Brooklyn after his sentence was up around 1940. He became an associate of Frankie Shots crew in the Profaci family, close to Larry Gallo. 1959 was in Frank Profaci crew as an associate. Died in the late 1960s. Salvatore (Charlie) Lima remained in Utica as an associate, involved in steal mills, burglar, and robbery. Killed in 1972 with his son in law Nick Comito when they were summoned to a meeting. Nick had caused a lot of problems and Charlie went to hopefully smooth things over with Dom Bretti and Tony Falange. Their bodies were found burned in a cabin.

The Aiello, Falcone, Gambino, and Lima families are all related, through the Lima family. Rosario Gambino wife was Pietro Lima's niece, Domenico Aiello and Pietro Lima were brother in laws, and Domenico Aiello daughter married Salvatore Falcone son.

Re: "Tony Whispers" DeStefano - Capo of Syracuse, NY [Re: NYMafia] #1075522
11/25/23 06:00 PM
11/25/23 06:00 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Yes, I knew there was a familial connection there, Aiello and Lima are related, and the Aiello and Falcone families intermarried. Thats sounds about right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull