GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Ciment, RushStreet, Toodoped, 2 invisible), 161 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,315
Posts1,058,463
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: JCrusher] #1077090
12/15/23 02:36 AM
12/15/23 02:36 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted by JCrusher
[What did he actually gain by murdering Fredo? People being more terrified of him?

Michael is a thoroughly reprehensible character. In his mind, if he showed any mercy or forgiveness to anyone who "injured " him--even his own brother-- (as he put it to Cardinal Lamberto in III), it would be viewed as a sign of "weakness" by enemies and friends alike--and would endanger his life. "This was the business he chose." mad

Again there really is zero evidence that shows Fredo wanted to kill him

Yes, If Ola had flat-out asked Fredo to help in the murder of his brother, Fredo would have said no. So, Ola played him--Michael was being tough on negotiations, they needed information, bla-bla-bla. But, Fredo just closed his eyes,,ears and mind to what was going to happen when Ola told him to open the drapes--especially since he was promised "there'd be something in it for me."
:

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1077117
12/15/23 08:26 AM
12/15/23 08:26 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Turnbull
[What did he actually gain by murdering Fredo? People being more terrified of him?

Michael is a thoroughly reprehensible character. In his mind, if he showed any mercy or forgiveness to anyone who "injured " him--even his own brother-- (as he put it to Cardinal Lamberto in III), it would be viewed as a sign of "weakness" by enemies and friends alike--and would endanger his life. "This was the business he chose." mad

Yes, If Ola had flat-out asked Fredo to help in the murder of his brother, Fredo would have said no. So, Ola played him--Michael was being tough on negotiations, they needed information, bla-bla-bla. But, Fredo just closed his eyes,,ears and mind to what was going to happen when Ola told him to open the drapes--especially since he was promised "there'd be something in it for me."

:
. I think Fredo was just simply stupid. I don’t think he is capable of malice. Hell look at how he fumbled the gun in GF1. There really is no defense of what Mike did. Then we see how much it meant to Fredo that mike hugged him and “forgave”him and how he bonded with Anthony. I doubt you would see that if Fredo was wanting Mike dead

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1077122
12/15/23 11:50 AM
12/15/23 11:50 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
In his mind, if he showed any mercy or forgiveness to anyone who "injured " him--even his own brother-- (as he put it to Cardinal Lamberto in III), it would be viewed as a sign of "weakness" by enemies and friends alike--and would endanger his life. "

This all runs back into the earliest conception of the movies, and into the novel. Michael is a rationalist - the mathematics professor - and the inheritor of what Coppola called Vito's "intelligence, cunning and coldness." He just does calculations in his head, and dishes out what's deserved, no matter who's on the other end of it.

In the novel, Kay reflects that she loves that Michael is "always fair." Fairness can have a dark side - when crossed, a fair person can proceed completely without conscience in settling the score. That's Michael.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: mustachepete] #1077141
12/15/23 03:25 PM
12/15/23 03:25 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by mustachepete
In his mind, if he showed any mercy or forgiveness to anyone who "injured " him--even his own brother-- (as he put it to Cardinal Lamberto in III), it would be viewed as a sign of "weakness" by enemies and friends alike--and would endanger his life. "

This all runs back into the earliest conception of the movies, and into the novel. Michael is a rationalist - the mathematics professor - and the inheritor of what Coppola called Vito's "intelligence, cunning and coldness." He just does calculations in his head, and dishes out what's deserved, no matter who's on the other end of it.

In the novel, Kay reflects that she loves that Michael is "always fair." Fairness can have a dark side - when crossed, a fair person can proceed completely without conscience in settling the score. That's Michael.

. I mean I definitely wouldn’t call Mike fair lol. Maybe in his own mind but he did also kill women too. Whether they were in the wrong place at the wrong time doesn’t matter. Tom bluntly asked him “Do you want to wipe everyone out”? Mike tried to rationalize it as it being his enemies but it’s obvious he had gone way too far and murder had become a first resort. But again what did Mike gain by killing Fredo at that point? Besides guilty that would haunt him the rest of his life.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Capri] #1077166
12/16/23 01:04 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Capri
Fredo traitor in the family betrayed his kid brother, Michael for personal gain arguably the Donship itself Fredo so coveted
Take sides against the family second time even after warning

helping get rid of Mike is not so far-fetched. thinking Mike was going to jail.
No bigger shot and respect than Don Fredo Corleone

There is no redeeming feature

You are not wrong! even after....
But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever!

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1077167
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
What did he actually gain by murdering Fredo? People being more terrified of him?

Everyone - Barzini, Roth and others in “The business they've chosen” is a “reprehensible character.”
Vito and Michael were thrust into it and sure became “reprehensible characters” too. They had to, for survival -- Kill or be Killed

Michael showed understanding "mercy and forgiveness" to Fredo until Fredo's boathouse outburst

Fredo unlike Michael no remorse no regret
Just more anger, jealousy, resentment that Michael survived the Tahoe bedroom shooting and Michael was too smart to let anyone beat him – Roth, Senate committee and Fredo himself

Nobody could “get rid of Mike” and the Donship, Fredo so coveted, Don Fredo Corleone, didn't eventuate Slipped away

Fredo, to the bitter end "I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over!" and still “It ain't the way I wanted it!” even after Fredo was complicit in
1. Michael and Kay's bedroom machine gun sprayed, nearly resulting in Michael and Kay being killed
2. Michael's Senate hearing - indictment for perjury, at the very least

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1077168
12/16/23 01:05 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia

Yes, If Ola had flat-out asked Fredo to help in the murder of his brother, Fredo would have said no. So, Ola played him--Michael was being tough on negotiations, they needed information, bla-bla-bla. But, Fredo just closed his eyes,,ears and mind to what was going to happen when Ola told him to open the drapes--especially since he was promised "there'd be something in it for me.":

Fredo's boathouse outburst cast doubt on Fredo's claim that Fredo didn't know it was gonna be a hit

Originally Posted by Lou_Para
Extract:
Given the years that Fredo brooded over getting stepped over,being relegated to menial duties in the Family,and basically being thought of as a joke,he finally just lost it andthe idea of helping get rid of Mike is not so far-fetched.
I don't think that he would have had any more of a problem getting Mike killed,than Mike had about killing him.
And yes,Fredo was a marshmallow,but helping someone else do the work is a whole nother story.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: mustachepete] #1077169
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Was Michael bloodthirsty?
Originally Posted by Evita
Extract:
Michael, like father like son and like Vito, negotiated first and used murder generally as a last resort, Michael's first choice was not murder. He's no different than his father

Khartoum and Hooker -- both were defenseless, truly innocent victims and I reckon, parallel could be drawn

The collateral damage is unfortunate, in the business they've chosen same as Don Ciccio's guards

The Baptism massacre was devised by Vito's guidance and counsel, to be carried out by Michael after Vito died, leaving a murderous legacy for “never wanted this for you son” Thanks! Pop

Anybody kinda rooting for Roth to beat Mike?
Extract:
On the other hand, Michael, who could have used violence or murder against Roth, didn't--he was negotiating for the Havana properties. Roth, on the other hand, set up the machine gun attack at Tahoe, and didn't care if Kay was killed in the attack. Moral of story: No honor among thieves

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1078341
12/29/23 07:01 AM
12/29/23 07:01 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Michael Oh! What a brother!

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1078529
12/30/23 07:05 PM
12/30/23 07:05 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lana
Was Michael bloodthirsty?[quote=Evita]Extract:
Michael, like father like son and like Vito, negotiated first and used murder generally as a last resort, Michael's first choice was not murder. He's no different than his father

Khartoum and Hooker -- both were defenseless, truly innocent victims and I reckon, parallel could be drawn

The collateral damage is unfortunate, in the business they've chosen same as Don Ciccio's guards

The Baptism massacre was devised by Vito's guidance and counsel, to be carried out by Michael after Vito died, leaving a murderous legacy for “never wanted this for you son” Thanks! Pop

Anybody kinda rooting for Roth to beat Mike?
Extract:
On the other hand, Michael, who could have used violence or murder against Roth, didn't--he was negotiating for the Havana properties. Roth, on the other hand, set up the machine gun attack at Tahoe, and didn't care if Kay was killed in the attack. Moral of story: No honor among thieves[/quote

]
. Vito was much more respected and liked. I seriously doubt Roth would’ve attempted to make a move on him. He felt Vito was more honorable than Mike which is a fact. Mike was certainly bloodthirsty when getting what he wanted. He would kill women if necessary like we saw with the Geary situation and along with Tattaglia. Then of course the biggie is murdering your own brother

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1078533
12/30/23 07:32 PM
12/30/23 07:32 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Vito did business with Hyman Roth,Vito respected Hyman Roth,but Vito never trusted Hyman Roth.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lou_Para] #1078535
12/30/23 07:40 PM
12/30/23 07:40 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
Vito did business with Hyman Roth,Vito respected Hyman Roth,but Vito never trusted Hyman Roth

. True but my point still remains.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lou_Para] #1078555
12/30/23 10:32 PM
12/30/23 10:32 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
True Lou nobody trusted anyone and didn't care about the collateral damage be it were defenseless, truly innocent victims
No honor among thieves

I reckon, comparing Vito and Michael is apples and oranges Vito's criminal world Michael's “legitimate” world
Times have changed. It's not like the Old Days -- when we can do anything we want

I reckon, Vito the evil, ruthless, murderous original villain is seen through rose-colored glasses

As we debated in Criminality and legitimacy thread
“He dispensed [his] “justice” to fellow Sicilians who shared his values and demanded friendship, loyalty and respect in return” always with a caveat

1. Killed Fanucci
2. Bandleader's signature or brains for his Godson's contract release
3. made Bonasera grovel when he insulted Vito by offering him money
4. Killed Khartoum for his Godson's Movie part
5. Killed, a senile, Don Ciccio living out his last days other side of the world no threat to the Corleones
6. Trusted Tessio set his son up to be murdered

We debate Fredo's murder but he did exactly the same and would have been just as horrific and guilty of fratricide if Michael had been killed He was complicit in trying to get his brother killed for personal gain arguably the Donship, Fredo so coveted, Don Fredo Corleone

Michael Oh! What a brother! showed understanding "mercy and forgiveness" to Fredo until Fredo's boathouse outburst, gave him a pass

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Evita] #1078556
12/30/23 10:41 PM
12/30/23 10:41 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Evita
True Lou nobody trusted anyone and didn't care about the collateral damage be it were defenseless, truly innocent victims
No honor among thieves

I reckon, comparing Vito and Michael is apples and oranges Vito's criminal world Michael's “legitimate” world
Times have changed. It's not like the Old Days -- when we can do anything we want

I reckon, Vito the evil, ruthless, murderous original villain is seen through rose-colored glasses

As we debated in Criminality and legitimacy thread
“He dispensed [his] “justice” to fellow Sicilians who shared his values and demanded friendship, loyalty and respect in return” always with a caveat

1. Killed Fanucci
2. Bandleader's signature or brains for his Godson's contract release
3. made Bonasera grovel when he insulted Vito by offering him money
4. Killed Khartoum for his Godson's Movie part
5. Killed, a senile, Don Ciccio living out his last days other side of the world no threat to the Corleones
6. Trusted Tessio set his son up to be murdered

We debate Fredo's murder but he did exactly the same and would have been just as horrific and guilty of fratricide if Michael had been killed He was complicit in trying to get his brother killed for personal gain arguably the Donship, Fredo so coveted, Don Fredo Corleone

Michael Oh! What a brother! showed understanding "mercy and forgiveness" to Fredo until Fredo's boathouse outburst, gave him a pass

. Completely disagree. There really is no comparison between Mike and Vito. There also is no excuse for murdering his brother. Mike himself admitted that Fredo didn’t know they were trying to kill him. Look I understand it’s hard not to root for or excuse the evil acts of a main character I totally get it. However it’s simply the facts

Last edited by JCrusher; 12/30/23 10:44 PM.
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Evita] #1078579
12/31/23 01:02 AM
12/31/23 01:02 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Well put Evita Another Excellent movie-fact based analysis

Sure thing Lou “Tom, you're my brother, the only one I completely trust”!

Michael like father like son same as Vito, the enemies have to be wiped out

Vito was brutal indeed Murder, extortion, cold blooded violence, threat of lethal violence even in such simple business matter as the Bandleader's signature or brains for his Godson's contract release - comply with his “justice” or die
and killing machine Luca, Vito's most valued friend

Also Michael could not provide fellow immigrants with favours and protection like Vito - always with a caveat "Some day and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me" - as Michael was a “legitimate” businessman

Exactly Evita Fredo was complicit in trying to get his brother killed for personal gain arguably the Donship, Fredo so coveted, Don Fredo Corleone and would have been just as horrific and guilty of fratricide if Michael had been killed The intent was there

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1078581
12/31/23 02:29 AM
12/31/23 02:29 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
No one was more honorable, more respected and liked than Roth lol -- set up the machine gun attack at Tahoe, and didn't care if women and children was killed

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Capri] #1078586
12/31/23 06:59 AM
12/31/23 06:59 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
No one was more honorable, more respected and liked than Roth lol -- set up the machine gun attack at Tahoe, and didn't care if women and children was killed

. Who has ever said Roth was honorable. I believe I even stated in my post that Roth was not honorable and could’ve killed Mikes family. However Mike is just as bad as he had multiple women killed in both films. Gotta call a spade a spade

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Capri] #1078649
12/31/23 07:41 PM
12/31/23 07:41 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss

And you're a great man, Mr. Roth

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull