GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 346 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,423
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fredo and Tom #1073600
10/31/23 03:00 AM
10/31/23 03:00 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Tom seems to have become the liaison between Michael and Fredo after Fredo made his fatal slip-up at the Superman show in Havana ("Johnny Ola brought me here..."). When Michael returns to Nevada, he asks Tom where Fredo is, and tells him to get word to Fredo that he knows Fredo was misled, etc. Later, after Michael learns that Pentangeli is alive, he revisits Fredo with Tom:

MICHAEL
What about FREDO? What does he know?
TOM
He says he doesn't know anything -- and I believe him. ROTH well he -- he played this one beautifully.
MICHAEL
I want to talk to FREDO.

If Fredo told Tom that he didn't know anything about Pentangeli, then he was obviously lying because he told Michael at their boathouse meeting that he knew that Pentangeli was alive, and that the Senate lawyer, Questadt, "belongs to Roth."

Why would Fredo lie to Tom, who seemed to be on his side, and tell the truth to Michael? Your thoughts?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1073653
10/31/23 10:43 PM
10/31/23 10:43 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I'm not sure if all the avenues of information are clear, if Fredo has new information or is just repeating what he's heard since he got back. One possibility is that he recognizes Questadt (as Michael should), but has just figured out his significance.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: mustachepete] #1073657
11/01/23 03:12 AM
11/01/23 03:12 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Pentangeli's survival may have gone public before Fredo met with Michael in the boathouse. But, Fredo knew that Questadt belonged to Roth--and that wasn't public. Why didn't he tell that to Tom before he met with Michael?

We saw the depth and intensity of Fredo's resentment of Michael in his outburst at the boathouse. It was pure hatred. He could have helped his brother by telling Tom about Questadt (and Pentangeli) before Michael testified. But, he wanted to hurt his brother by waiting to reveal what he knew until after Michael perjured himself.. It was Fredo's vengeance for being passed over and for being treated as stupid and as a go-fer.

I posted years ago that Fredo was far more involved with Roth and Ola than he let on. That's how he knew that Questadt belonged to Roth:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=472494&Searchpage=1&Main=16944&Words=%2Bconspiracy&Search=true#Post472494

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1073751
11/02/23 02:49 PM
11/02/23 02:49 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Fredo had two primary problems: huge insecurity and frustration.

His behavior regarding Michael derives from those two. Yes, he may have resented his brother, but I don't think it extended to hatred or a desire to see him dead. I also don't think that Fredo was a strategic thinker. His vengeance (if any) was temporal; here and now.

It's all rather complicated when you start speculating about motivations. However, I am surprised that someone who had Michael's intelligence and intuition did not pick up on Fredo's feelings.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: olivant] #1073809
11/03/23 03:08 AM
11/03/23 03:08 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted by olivant

It's all rather complicated when you start speculating about motivations. However, I am surprised that someone who had Michael's intelligence and intuition did not pick up on Fredo's feelings.

That's a very good point, Oli. Had Michael been less selfish and self-centered, he might have either tried to keep Fredo satisfied, or at least perceived that he was creating an enemy.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1073934
11/04/23 12:04 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Fredo had everyone fooled!

Nobody "had any inclination" Fredo was not "satisfied" nor they were “creating an enemy” Michael had always taken care of Fredo However “You're my kid brother and you take care of me” was another grating thorny factor in “the depth and intensity of Fredo's resentment of Michael” for being stepped over

Tom and Fredo - Extracts:
Originally Posted by Evita
Michael [and Vito] underestimated Fredo
Nobody not Michael, not even Vito had any inclination how detrimental Fredo would be, arguably even setting Michael up to be murdered, for the Donship
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Very insightful post, Evita. I agree with what you said. Especially how Fredo was underestimated. He was such an ineffectual dunce in GF that his betrayal of Michael in II had strong impact--we probably never would have guessed he had it in him...and what else he might have tried if Michael had given him a pass. Guilt and gratitude are the most fleeting of emotions.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1073935
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
My take, for what it is worth!
Fredo, initially also lied to Michael

Fredo grudgingly "revealing what he knew" was painful to watch like pulling teeth
Fredo: I haven't got a lot to say Mike I was kept pretty much in the dark I didn't know all that much [yeah right]
Michael: What about now Is there anything you can help me out with Anything you can tell me now
Fredo: They've got Pentangeli that's all I can tell you
After Fredo's outburst
Michael: Is there -- you can tell me about this investigation?
Fredo: The Senate Lawyer Questadt -- he belongs to Roth [finally]

As regards Frankie Pentangeli's survival, the chairman was very helpful! telling Michael about their secret star witness
The committee will stand in recess until ten o'clock when this committee will produce a witness who collaborates the charges that were made against you today and at which time Mr. Corleone you may very well be subject to indictment for perjury

Sure thing "Fredo was far more involved with Roth and Ola than he let on"

Fredo betrayed his kid brother, Michael for personal gain "something in it for me if I'd help 'em out" and then continued trying to harm, hurt and injure Michael by still withholding information he knew, to gain that "something"

even if Fredo 'really' didn't know it was gonna be a hit, Fredo "waiting to reveal what he knew until after Michael perjured himself" that too not voluntarily [even though it made no difference to Michael's defense as Vincenzo Pentangeli, Frankie's brother was already on his way to enforce omertà and bail Michael out] was to try and send Michael to Prison because the hit failed and that "something" arguably the Donship, was not yet gained

There is no redeeming feature

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1074102
11/05/23 09:59 PM
11/05/23 09:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
One thing I've always been curious about:

Michael seemed frantic to get Fredo in his car as he was leaving Havana ("It's the only way out of here tonight...You're still my brother!!). And, the first thing he asks Tom after he returns and they're alone is, "Where's my brother?" But then he tells Tom to "Get word to Fredo..." etc. The urgency seemed to be gone immediately until after Michael testified and he told Tom, "I want to speak to Fredo."

What happened? Any ideas?

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1074153
11/07/23 01:07 AM
11/07/23 01:07 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
The urgency Michael was "frantic to get Fredo in his car" for Fredo's safe passage back home because Fredo was still Michael's brother

Michael still looking out for his brother's welfare, to get Fredo safely back home even after having just learned that Fredo had betrayed Michael, nearly resulting in Michael and Kay being killed. Oh! What a brother!

Tom: Uh -- I think he got out -- he must be somewhere in New York
Mission accomplished!

Michael didn't know
1. anything about the Senate hearing then [Desert Inn]
2. nor Fredo's deeper involvement with Roth and Ola until Fredo's boathouse outburst

Hence Michael to Tom [Desert Inn]
Alright -- I want you to get in touch with him -- I know he's scared -- tell him everything's all right. Tell him I know Roth misled him -- and he didn't know they were planing to kill me

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1074381
11/10/23 01:54 AM
11/10/23 01:54 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Lana, I admire your faith in Michael's brotherly concern for Fredo. But I don't share it. I don't think Michael loved anyone or anything except power. He just wanted to get everything from Fredo that he knew about Roth; once he got that in the boathouse meeting, Fredo was "nothing to me now." I think he did love Kay before Vito's shooting put him into the Family business. But when he returned to the US, I think she was basically a WASP ticket-punch for Michael--another ornament in his quest for "respectability." That scene in New Hampshire with him "wooing" Kay (Michael wearing that ridiculous Homburg hat, looking like a pint-sized banker) had all the passion of a real estate negotiation--with Kay as his property.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1074543
11/12/23 01:03 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Lana, I admire your faith in Michael's brotherly concern for Fredo. But I don't share it. I don't think Michael loved anyone or anything except power. He just wanted to get everything from Fredo that he knew about Roth; once he got that in the boathouse meeting, Fredo was "nothing to me now."
I see it differently that there was genuine brotherly concern for Fredo's safe passage out of Havana
Also Fredo was still living at Michael's house

• Fredo's boathouse outburst cast doubt on Fredo's claim that Fredo didn't know it was gonna be a hit

Hence Michael to Fredo
Fredo, you're nothing to me now you're not a brother, you're not a friend, I don't want to know you or what you do --
I don't want to see you at the hotels -- I don't want you near my house -- when you see our mother I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there -- you understand

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1074544
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
I think he did love Kay before Vito's shooting put him into the Family business. But when he returned to the US, I think she was basically a WASP ticket-punch for Michael--another ornament in his quest for "respectability." That scene in New Hampshire with him "wooing" Kay (Michael wearing that ridiculous Homburg hat, looking like a pint-sized banker) had all the passion of a real estate negotiation--with Kay as his property.
I am not sure about the “WASP ticket-punch” It seems the WASP is our doing!
As far as I can recall there was no such mention in the movie?

Besides WASP Kay was already Michael's girlfriend, long before Michael having to become the Don and his quest for "legitimacy" "respectability."

Sure thing there was no time [longer than a year -- tutored by Vito] nor the desire for "wooing" Michael's car following! behind

• Michael was honest though
I came here because I need a woman, to bring my sons into this world. You'll do -- What's Love got to Do with it?!

I came here because I need you -- because I care for you -- because -- I want you to marry me...
Kay -- I need you And I love you

longer than a year -- Mama couldn't find Michael a nice Italian origin bride, suitable Mob Boss wife

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1074548
11/12/23 02:51 AM
11/12/23 02:51 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Originally Posted by Lana
I think he did love Kay before Vito's shooting put him into the Family business. But when he returned to the US, I think she was basically a WASP ticket-punch for Michael--another ornament in his quest for "respectability." That scene in New Hampshire with him "wooing" Kay (Michael wearing that ridiculous Homburg hat, looking like a pint-sized banker) had all the passion of a real estate negotiation--with Kay as his property.
I am not sure about the “WASP ticket-punch” It seems the WASP is our doing!
j
As far as I can recall there was no such mention in the movie?

Not in the movie. But Puzo wrote in the novel:
"Kay Adams Corleone had delighted her in-laws by taking instruction in the Catholic religion and joining their faith...Michael himself had not been too pleased by this development. He would have preferred the children to be Protestant, it was more American."

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1074899
11/17/23 07:39 PM
11/17/23 07:39 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
in the novel: Kay had accepted he was Mob Boss. Carlo's killing, her issue Michael lying to her

Nothing but the Donship would have satisfied Fredo
Vito never nurtured him No Garden chat explaining That's the way Pop wanted it.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1075981
12/03/23 02:49 PM
12/03/23 02:49 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
My take, for what it is worth!
Fredo, initially also lied to Michael

Fredo grudgingly "revealing what he knew" was painful to watch like pulling teeth
Fredo: I haven't got a lot to say Mike I was kept pretty much in the dark I didn't know all that much [yeah right]
Michael: What about now Is there anything you can help me out with Anything you can tell me now
Fredo: They've got Pentangeli that's all I can tell you
After Fredo's outburst
Michael: Is there -- you can tell me about this investigation?
Fredo: The Senate Lawyer Questadt -- he belongs to Roth [finally]

As regards Frankie Pentangeli's survival, the chairman was very helpful! telling Michael about their secret star witness
The committee will stand in recess until ten o'clock when this committee will produce a witness who collaborates the charges that were made against you today and at which time Mr. Corleone you may very well be subject to indictment for perjury

Sure thing "Fredo was far more involved with Roth and Ola than he let on"

Fredo betrayed his kid brother, Michael for personal gain "something in it for me if I'd help 'em out" and then continued trying to harm, hurt and injure Michael by still withholding information he knew, to gain that "something"

even if Fredo 'really' didn't know it was gonna be a hit, Fredo "waiting to reveal what he knew until after Michael perjured himself" that too not voluntarily [even though it made no difference to Michael's defense as Vincenzo Pentangeli, Frankie's brother was already on his way to enforce omertà and bail Michael out] was to try and send Michael to Prison because the hit failed and that "something" arguably the Donship, was not yet gained

. That is false. There has never been any proof that Fredo deliberately tried to have Mime killed. There is a lot more prof that he was simply played. Was he frustrated? Yes. Was he insecure? Yes, BUT that doesn’t mean he intentionally tried to kill Mike. What Mike did to Fredo was just pure evil you can sugarcoat it but that’s the truth. Mike knew that Fredo didn’t intentionally try to kill him

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: JCrusher] #1076030
12/03/23 11:35 PM
12/03/23 11:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
If Ola had said to Fredo: "We need your help in killing your brother," Fredo would have said no. But Ola probably couched it the way Fredo told Michael: Roth needed help in closing the "big deal." Where Fredo dissembled, IMO, was when he told Michael that Ola said, "there'd be something in it for me." Fredo would have wanted to know what was in it for him; and if Ola had told him that he'd get the Donship he deserved, Fredo would have inferred that there was only one way he could get it. And, even if Ola didn't explicitly promise him the Donship, he'd figure out why Ola wanted him to open the drapes.

So, I believe that when Fredo told Michael, "I swear to God I didn't know it was gonna be a hit," the truth was, "Johnny Ola never said it was gonna be a hit." He let his greed for what he thought he deserved close his eyes, ears and mind to what would inevitably happen as a result of his "help."

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076168
12/06/23 09:09 AM
12/06/23 09:09 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Nah they made it pretty clear that although Fredo was dumb and a womanizer he wasn’t ruthless enough to hurt a family member. Like his wife said “you couldn’t belt your momma”. I think people misinterpreted “something in it for me”. He simply wanted to have some respect I don’t think he wanted or cared about being the Don really. I know some will bring up him saying “I was passed over” but I think at the end of the day he just wanted some respect in the family but obviously was stupid snd not cut out for that life. There still is zero justification for Mike murdering his brother

Last edited by JCrusher; 12/06/23 09:09 AM.
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076205
12/06/23 07:51 PM
12/06/23 07:51 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Yep he thought he was going to become a big shot and they knew he would talk too much and could use it to their advantage. No way Fredo works with them if he knew they were going to kill Mikey

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076447
12/08/23 09:07 PM
12/08/23 09:07 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
True Turnbull He let his greed for what he thought he deserved close his eyes, ears and mind to what would inevitably happen as a result of his "help." for something in it for me -- arguably the Donship.

Why seethe with resentment and heatedly point out I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over! It ain't the way I wanted it! if there was no connection

He was not involved in their big deal together So what little help he could give -- inconceivable

How is his little help arguably opening the drapes -- close the deal fast -- it'd be good for the family?
I reckon, Fredo dissembled or otherwise -- It was to identify Michael's bedroom for the hit

No bigger shot and respect than Don Fredo Corleone

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076457
12/09/23 01:41 AM
12/09/23 01:41 AM
L
Lou_Para Online content
Underboss
Lou_Para  Online Content
L
Underboss
I think Fredo was in much deeper than he let on.
Although he says he didn't know it was going to be a hit, then what purpose was opening the drapes going to accomplish?
His excuse is that he was told that Mike was being "tough on the negotiations" and there would be something in it for him,
if he could help make the deal between Mike and Roth.
Given all that,how in the hell does opening the drapes serve that purpose?
Is Fredo that mind-numbingly stupid?
"Hey Fredo,help us speed up the negotiations with Mike. Just leave his bedroom drapes open"
"Sure Johnny,that should work"
Given the years that Fredo brooded over getting stepped over,being relegated to menial duties in the Family,and basically being thought of as a joke,he finally just lost it and
the idea of helping get rid of Mike is not so far-fetched.
I don't think that he would have had any more of a problem getting Mike killed,than Mike had about killing him.
And yes,Fredo was a marshmallow,but helping someone else do the work is a whole nother story.
It's a shame that neither brother could achieve their goals without killing the other one.

Last edited by Lou_Para; 12/09/23 01:44 AM.
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076505
12/09/23 09:37 AM
12/09/23 09:37 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I mean this not a Carlo, Tessio or Paulie situation where they deliberately turned on the Corleones to cause ann assassination. It’s pretty clear Fredo thought he was helping and at the same time he wanted to show he was capable. Was it stupid.? Of course but it was established that he was stupid. However many people also say that Fredo had a good heart including Mike. I think some tend to want to make a conspiracy theory that Fredo maliciously tried to kill Mike but when I look at the evidence I don’t see that. I know some will be up the Senate lawyer as evidence that Fredo was trying to get rid of Mike but at the end of the day he still told Mike about it which he could’ve easily kept quiet about he he wanted Mike to rot in jail. I’m not saying Fredo was an Angel or that he didn’t make a mistake but did he deserve to be killed? I don’t think so

Last edited by JCrusher; 12/09/23 09:37 AM.
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076592
12/09/23 09:49 PM
12/09/23 09:49 PM
L
Lou_Para Online content
Underboss
Lou_Para  Online Content
L
Underboss
I don't think anyone, including Fredo, expected Mike to beat the Senate Committee.
Pentangeli's recanting was out of the blue.
I think Fredo, like pretty much everybody, figured that Five Angels would bury Mike,so he had nothing to lose by telling Mike about it.

The one thing I feel strongly about is the utter evil and cold-blooded decision by Mike to kill Fredo.

I agree that Fredo did not deserve to be killed.
Now,if he took a shot at Mike and missed,OK, then all bets are off.

But he didn't,and Mike showed his true colors by killing him.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lou_Para] #1076606
12/09/23 10:42 PM
12/09/23 10:42 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
I don't think anyone, including Fredo, expected Mike to beat the Senate Committee.
Pentangeli's recanting was out of the blue.
I think Fredo, like pretty much everybody, figured that Five Angels would bury Mike,so he had nothing to lose by telling Mike about it.

The one thing I feel strongly about is the utter evil and cold-blooded decision by Mike to kill Fredo.

I agree that Fredo did not deserve to be killed.
Now,if he took a shot at Mike and missed,OK, then all bets are off.

But he didn't,and Mike showed his true colors by killing him

. I disagree with you about Fredo thinking Mike was going to jail I don’t think he wanted that to happen. Besides that I agree Mike was evil and cold blooded doing what he did

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076613
12/10/23 12:06 AM
12/10/23 12:06 AM
L
Lou_Para Online content
Underboss
Lou_Para  Online Content
L
Underboss
I can go either way on Fredo thinking Mike was going to jail.
I think there's a lot of speculation on both sides.
That's why I love this topic (and of course this Board).

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lou_Para] #1076616
12/10/23 01:10 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Sure thing Lou Nobody [except us!] "including Fredo, expected Mike to beat the Senate Committee" and "Fredo, like pretty much everybody, figured that Five Angels would bury Mike"

Everybody even Tom "thinking Mike was going to jail"
Neri: The FBI has him [Pentangeli] air-tight -- he's on an army base twenty-four hour guards
Tom: No way we can get to him. If we don't it's up to five counts of perjury
Roth well he -- he played this one beautifully

• Fredo had plenty to lose arguably the Donship itself Fredo so coveted
That's why Fredo withheld the information “he knew until after Michael perjured himself" [even though it made no difference whatsoever to Michael's defense]

Michael already knew “Alive -- Pentangeli is alive" before Michael went to talk to Fredo

Fredo also showed his true colors, Fredo did take a shot at Mike

Was Michael bloodthirsty?
Michael made the decision in the heat of the moment immediately after Fredo's Boathouse outburst but no doubt he could have been spared as we debated in various threads that he could have continued to keep him under watch same as until Mama died

Did they have to die?
Still Michael could have easily continued the same arrangements of keeping Fredo under watch or similar until Mama Corleone's natural death. He had the money and the resources Besides if Mama had lived longer....

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Turnbull] #1076617
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Excellent movie-fact based analysis' with articulate new takes as well

If -- it'd be good for the family, Why did Fredo need something in it for me -- on my own, to help out?
Michael: You believed that story? You believed that? [We don't! either]

Besides as Evita posted “He was not involved in their big deal together So what little help he could give -- inconceivable” indeed

Extracts:
I reckon, Fredo dissembled or otherwise -- It [his little help arguably opening the drapes --] was to identify Michael's bedroom for the hit
Although he says he didn't know it was going to be a hit, then what purpose was opening the drapes going to accomplish?

how in the hell does opening the drapes serve that purpose? [Mike was being "tough on the negotiations"]

Sure thing Turnbull whether Fredo dissembled or not -- He let his greed for what he thought he deserved close his eyes, ears and mind to what would inevitably happen as a result of his "help."

• Why didn't Fredo help Michael out instead of telling lie after lie from claiming to not know Roth and Ola
  • Why was Fredo withholding information “he knew until after Michael perjured himself" [even though it made no difference whatsoever to Michael's defense]

Fredo's credibility if any shot to pieces

Sure thing Evita "No bigger shot and respect than Don Fredo Corleone" indeed

Well put Lou, Fredo seething with jealousy, resentment -- the idea of helping get rid of Mike is not so far-fetched.
and you are right Sadly neither brother achieved his goal even with trying to kill / killing the other one

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1076651
12/10/23 11:42 AM
12/10/23 11:42 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Excellent movie-fact based analysis' with articulate new takes as well

If -- it'd be good for the family, Why did Fredo need something in it for me -- on my own, to help out?
Michael: You believed that story? You believed that? [We don't! either]

Besides as Evita posted “He was not involved in their big deal together So what little help he could give -- inconceivable” indeed

Extracts:
I reckon, Fredo dissembled or otherwise -- It [his little help arguably opening the drapes --] was to identify Michael's bedroom for the hit

how in the hell does opening the drapes serve that purpose? [Mike was being "tough on the negotiations"]

Sure thing Turnbull whether Fredo dissembled or not -- He let his greed for what he thought he deserved close his eyes, ears and mind to what would inevitably happen as a result of his "help."

• Why didn't Fredo help Michael out instead of telling lie after lie from claiming to not know Roth and Ola
  • Why was Fredo withholding information “he knew until after Michael perjured himself" [even though it made no difference whatsoever to Michael's defense]

Fredo's credibility if any shot to pieces

Sure thing Evita "No bigger shot and respect than Don Fredo Corleone" indeed

Well put Lou, Fredo seething with jealousy, resentment -- the idea of helping get rid of Mike is not so far-fetched.
and you are right Sadly neither brother achieved his goal even with trying to kill / killing the other one

. Being jealous doesn’t equal wanting to kill your brother. Once again there a mountain of evidence that suggests Fred while stupid wasn’t ruthless like that. Unlike Carlo, Paulie, or Tessio he didn’t consciously tried to kill a Corleone. That’s just fact. I think it’s pretty clear he just wanted to have some respect within the family but he obviously wasn’t cut out for that life he didn’t have the smarts or ruthlessness. Not saying he was a saint but even Mike years later realizes it made zero sense killing him and it followed him and I guess you can argue that karma finally got Mike in the end. Like Tom said “you won you want to wipe everyone out?” which he clear wanted to despite his bullshit excuses of “only his enemies”.

Last edited by JCrusher; 12/10/23 11:44 AM.
Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Lana] #1076724
12/10/23 09:25 PM
12/10/23 09:25 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
Exactly If -- it'd be good for the family, Why did Fredo need something in it for me -- on my own, to help out?
Besides “He was not involved in their big deal together So what little help he could give -- inconceivable” indeed

True "Fredo, like pretty much everybody, figured Mike was going to jail and he would be getting, his something reward arguably the Donship itself Fredo so coveted

Fredo also showed his true colors, Fredo did take a shot at Mike and Fredo's credibility if any shot to pieces with his lie after lie

• Fredo's boathouse outburst cast doubt on Fredo's claim that Fredo didn't know it was gonna be a hit

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Evita] #1076790
12/12/23 03:10 AM
12/12/23 03:10 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Fredo traitor in the family betrayed his kid brother, Michael for personal gain arguably the Donship itself Fredo so coveted
Take sides against the family second time even after warning

helping get rid of Mike is not so far-fetched. thinking Mike was going to jail.

Re: Fredo and Tom [Re: Capri] #1077067
12/14/23 05:29 PM
12/14/23 05:29 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Capri
Fredo traitor in the family betrayed his kid brother, Michael for personal gain arguably the Donship itself Fredo so coveted
Take sides against the family second time even after warning

helping get rid of Mike is not so far-fetched. thinking Mike was going to jail.

. Very doubtful. You can have jealousy without actually acting on it and trying to kill your brother. Look I understand since Mike is main character there is a tendency to defend his action but there really is no defense to this. What did he actually gain by murdering Fredo? People being more terrified of him? It obviously tortured him later in and realized it an unredeemable decision. Again there really is zero evidence that shows Fredo wanted to kill him wheras there is a lot of evidence that he was played and only wanted to show he could do an important job for the family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull