GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (dixiemafia, Malavita, Irishman12, 1 invisible), 248 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,669
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,191
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,519
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,059,943
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Look what they did to my boy" #8764
05/22/04 08:56 AM
05/22/04 08:56 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Isn't that what Vito said when he asked the mortician to use all his skill and powers to make Sonny's corpse look good for the funeral? I thought that it was a little ironic that a master of violence was seemingly shocked at the shape his Sonny was in, as a result of mob violence. Although he had no problem lifting the blanket and looking at the hole-filled corpse again.

Was that scene designed to be ironic?

"...for old times' sake?"
Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8765
05/22/04 09:06 AM
05/22/04 09:06 AM
Netherlands
Don Schulini Offline
Made Member
Don Schulini  Offline
Made Member
Netherlands
Actually, Vito said "Look how they mascared my boy".

Offcourse Vito was shocked at how Sonny looked, it's his own son. I think he wanted to give Sonny an open funeral (although we never see the funeral) and an honorouble goodbye, but then Bonasera had to do his job first.

"You never wanted my friendship, you don't ask with respect.."
Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8766
05/22/04 09:11 AM
05/22/04 09:11 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Thanks for the correction. I'm not referring to the shock of his Son dying, which is natural, but his reaction to the way he was killed (massacred). Definite irony.

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8767
05/22/04 09:42 AM
05/22/04 09:42 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Even tho Vito was a crime boss, and killed and had people killed, the story also showed he was a family man ("a man who doesn't spend time with his family, isn't really a man."; "are you happy with your family?"). He did love his family.

Seeing someone you love full of holes is quite different than ordering a "hit" on someone you want dead. I think the "second look", as you say, was probably out of shock/disbelief.

Actually, I think GFII confirms this. Young Vito, made us more in tune to his nature and gives us proof of his good side, more than GF. We found Vito likeable. wink I wonder if most would feel Vito "as" likeable, hadn't there been a GFII. Maybe that's part of the reason why I like the chronological version of GF. ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8768
05/22/04 09:58 AM
05/22/04 09:58 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
I agree, Vito is likeable in GFII, likeable but ruthless. He had to be to emerge as a crime boss. His killing of his father and mother's murderer was completely justified, but the way he poked him in the belly and then ripped the blade up to his neck was gruesome.

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8769
05/22/04 10:09 AM
05/22/04 10:09 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I doubt it was intended to be ironic, though you're absolutely entitled to draw that inference. I think FFC wanted to reinforce Vito's humanity by showing that, in the world of violence that he inhabited, he could still feel horror for his own loss.
Then again, neither GF or II showed how Vito unleashed Luca Brasi to massacre Al Capone's gunmen in a way far more horrible than the way Sonny was massacred. That's confined to the novel.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8770
05/22/04 10:13 AM
05/22/04 10:13 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Yea, it sure was gruesome. eek It's funny, because knowing Vito's personality, soft spokeness, and calm manner, even during that scene, it seems he calmly slices the enemy up. lol We see Michael raging mad, and even tho Vito might have been raging mad, he doesn't show it. I'm sure this is why, or at least part of why, Vito was a more likeable character than the one Michael had become. People who knew Vito may have feared him, but most respected him, whereas Michael was only feared.

TIS

PS, Which, by the way, that would be a good TB question if not already discussed. Who was the most likeable real life Don, if any. Wasn't the Teflon Don known as charming and likeable????

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8771
05/22/04 12:31 PM
05/22/04 12:31 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Who was the most likeable real life Don, if any. Wasn't the Teflon Don known as charming and likeable????
Gotti was the most popular of the modern Dons, but his manner with his own people was coarse and snarling. Frank Costello was known to be suave. Carlo Gambino was always soft-spoken, and his wife was gracious, charming and welcoming.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8772
05/22/04 01:16 PM
05/22/04 01:16 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline
Made Member
Rhode Island
Vito was a loveable, nice, family guy who happened to kill people. It doesn't matter what he did or how he did it. It is all different when your first son dies, and dies so violently. I don't care who you are, when you see your son in that manner, you turn humble and vulnerable no matter what you do. Especially when you consider how close Vito was to Sonny.

True, Vito could be a ruthless man, but when he needed to be. His son died, and he reacted in the very way Vito would react, calm and still respectable but even a little wimper when he saw how they "massacred his boy".

The dapper don (Gotti) was probably the most likeable.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel
Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8773
05/22/04 07:58 PM
05/22/04 07:58 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I'm really not quite sure how someone could draw irony out of that scene. I mean, c'mon, his son just had a whole buncha gangsters go all "Bonnie & Clyde" on him. Like someone above said, I don't care how ruthless you are, if you see your first son (or second or third or fourth for that matter), in the state Santino was in (dead, full of holes, no less), you're gonna be in shock, and really upset. But in my opinion, Vito did a fantastic job keeping his true feelings in check, and maintaining his composure. Although in the book, it says that at one point, Vito grabbed hold of Bonasera's shoulder to keep himself from falling, which is a sure sign that he was distraught.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8774
05/23/04 08:23 AM
05/23/04 08:23 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
It's interesting how people on this board are not just interested in the GF, but are really in love with the characters. You guys have taken a defensive tone about this, as if I have insulted you by suggesting that this was an ironic scene.

The fact that Sonny died at the hands of gangsters is not ironic. The fact that the Don, an architect of mob violence, was so affected by the nature of the killing, was.

For Sonny, it was a heroic death, kind of like a Viking dying in battle.

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8775
05/23/04 11:38 AM
05/23/04 11:38 AM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
I understand what your saying, as Don Corleone would order hits sometimes as if he was just ordering a meal in a resturant. For once we see Don Corleone's usual calm expression break down.

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8776
05/23/04 11:43 AM
05/23/04 11:43 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Carlo Gambino....his wife was gracious, charming and welcoming.
Did they have you over? tongue wink

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8777
05/23/04 12:04 PM
05/23/04 12:04 PM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline OP
Button
sonof70s  Offline OP
Button
washington dc
Originally posted by Don Lights:
I understand what your saying, as Don Corleone would order hits sometimes as if he was just ordering a meal in a resturant. For once we see Don Corleone's usual calm expression break down.
That's it! Thanks for putting it in simpler terms.

Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8778
05/25/04 08:39 AM
05/25/04 08:39 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
At face value you could see the irony in Vito's statement about massacring his boy. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. More expected than ironic. But Vito exposes his fatherly love before the scene in Bonesara's funeral home. After Tom tells him Sonny is dead Vito says, this war stops now. Kind of ironic that it takes the death of his own son to stop the war.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: "Look what they did to my boy" #8779
05/25/04 05:18 PM
05/25/04 05:18 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
PS, Which, by the way, that would be a good TB question if not already discussed. Who was the most likeable real life Don, if any. Wasn't the Teflon Don known as charming and likeable????
What I would add beyond TB's comments re: Gotti. He was derrogatorily referred to as "John Paul Gotti" by some members of the Gambino family. Gotti felt that his whims must be catered to at all times. Gotti was a man who could fly into a rage one minute and then be a complete gentleman the next. I would guess that a lot of his arrogance stemmed from the fact that he walked away from three trials, even though he cheated each time!

I think Gotti was simply more accessible to the press than the usual, tight-lipped mafia chiefs before him. He followed his own press and was as concerned about his public image as any politician.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull