GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 261 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,336
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072161
10/15/23 07:17 AM
10/15/23 07:17 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss

Originally Posted by NYMafia
Brings back a lot of warm memories for me. As a kid, I always enjoyed this Lou Monte song, "Dominick the Donkey."

It played all over the radio at Xmas-time.

A cute song, it reminds me of another one by Lou Monte, a rather funny one smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57hP7Ipjw4

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: Dwalin2011] #1072173
10/15/23 10:09 AM
10/15/23 10:09 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Dwalin2011

Brings back a lot of warm memories for me. As a kid, I always enjoyed this Lou Monte song, "Dominick the Donkey."

It played all over the radio at Xmas-time.

A cute song, it reminds me of another one by Lou Monte, a rather funny one smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57hP7Ipjw4

Yes Dwalin, I agree. This is another Lou Monte classic I remember very well as a kid.

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072188
10/15/23 04:56 PM
10/15/23 04:56 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Valentino, Versace, Prada, Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Marni, Iceberg, Missoni, Trussardi, Moschino, Dirk Bikkembergs, Etro, and Zegna.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072189
10/15/23 05:00 PM
10/15/23 05:00 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Stone Island, Australian, Diadora, FILA, Kappa, Lotto, Ellesse, Tacchini etc..

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072254
10/16/23 05:27 AM
10/16/23 05:27 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

The Little Falls Township Council has officially proclaimed the month of October as Italian-American Heritage and Culture Month in the Township. Italian-American Heritage and Culture Month, recognized since 1989, is an opportunity to pay tribute to the enduring legacy of Italian Americans in the United States.

From the early explorers to the 5.5 million working-class immigrants who arrived in the United States around the beginning of the 20th century, Italian Americans have played a vital role in shaping and developing the nation.

Italian-Americans have made substantial contributions in various fields, including government, science and technology, arts and entertainment, literature, product design, and cuisine.

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072256
10/16/23 05:35 AM
10/16/23 05:35 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Franco Micalizzi.....Italian composer and conductor, best known for his scores in Poliziotteschi films.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072259
10/16/23 06:21 AM
10/16/23 06:21 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

From WAI - We Are Italians

Jimmy Durante was a famous Italian American jazz singer, comedian and actor, who became one of the most admired entertainers of the Twentieth Century.

Frank Sinatra definitely paved the way for Italians to finally be accepted in the U.S. and to be able to fully assimilate into American culture, though Durante was the first famous paisan to get the ball rolling for our people in this country.

He was born in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan in 1893, to Bartolomeo Durante and Rosa Lentino, both immigrants from the Italian city of Salerno. He began his music career playing piano at some restaurants in Manhattan in 1911. He eventually started playing piano with a band on Coney Island once a week.

In the late 1920s, Durante got roles in plays and became a local star all over NYC. In the early 1930s, he started to get small roles in movies, then his own radio show in 1933. He was also given the opportunity to sign a recording contract in 1934. Later that year, he recorded "Inka Dinka Doo." The song became his signature tune. He often joked about his nose as a comedian, referring to it as the schnozzola, which he got from the Jewish slang word schnoz, meaning a big nose.

Other famous songs by Durante include "September Song," "The Glory of Love," "Make Someone Happy" and the famous Christmas song "Frosty the Snowman." Unfortunately, only "September Song" and "The Glory of Love" were hits. Despite only having a few hit songs, the other songs remained favorites for his fans and "The Glory of Love" is quite popular on Pandora.

Although he passed away in 1980, he will never be forgotten.

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/16/23 06:22 AM.
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072279
10/16/23 03:51 PM
10/16/23 03:51 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

The National Italian-American Foundation (NIAF)

DID YOU KNOW? — ITALY IS THE LARGEST EXPORTER OF WINE IN THE WORLD!

Raise you glass to Italy: the world's top wine exporter!
With centuries of winemaking tradition, Italy's vineyards produce some of the most delicious and diverse wines globally, showcasing the country's rich land and dedication to craftsmanship. From the rolling hills of Tuscany to the sun-soaked vineyards of Sicily, Italy's winemakers have truly mastered the art of winemaking.

What is your favorite Italian wine?

Read more about the world leaders in wine exportation in this Forbes article: https://bit.ly/3thbDKk

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072280
10/16/23 03:54 PM
10/16/23 03:54 PM
R
RushStreet Offline
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline
R
Underboss

With centuries of winemaking tradition, Italy's vineyards produce some of the most delicious and diverse wines globally, showcasing the country's rich land and dedication to craftsmanship. From the rolling hills of Tuscany to the sun-soaked vineyards of Sicily, Italy's winemakers have truly mastered the art of winemaking.

Read more about the world leaders in wine exportation in this Forbes article: https://bit.ly/3thbDKk

The red wine that they produce in the Abruzzo region of Italy.

Last edited by RushStreet; 10/16/23 03:55 PM.
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: RushStreet] #1072281
10/16/23 03:55 PM
10/16/23 03:55 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by RushStreet

The wine that they produce in the Abruzzo region of Italy.

What did you want to say about it? Abruzzi wine?

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/16/23 03:55 PM.
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072282
10/16/23 03:56 PM
10/16/23 03:56 PM
R
RushStreet Offline
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline
R
Underboss

I am fond of the Montepulciano grapes.

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: RushStreet] #1072285
10/16/23 04:03 PM
10/16/23 04:03 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I am fond of the Montepulciano grapes.

Well RS, I definitely would agree with you on that. You obviously have good taste in wines. Lol.

Several decades ago Montepulciano grapes started to show up in NYC restaurants and liquor stores, and they became an instant hit. They happen to be similar to the Sangiovese grape variety which I also love. In fact, these are both among my favorites.

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072313
10/17/23 02:29 AM
10/17/23 02:29 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

We The Italians
Based in Italy

Synonymous with the Italian tenor, Luciano Pavarotti, ‘Nessun dorma’ is one of the world’s most famous operatic hits. While ‘Nessun dorma’ began its life in the opera house, the aria has since found its place in popular culture after Pavarotti performed it as the anthem for the 1990 World Cup in Italy.

Today you’ll hear the soaring solo on talent shows, in films, and even sung by pop stars such as Jennifer Hudson, Aretha Franklin, and Queen frontman, Adam Lambert. But which opera was the aria originally written for, and what do the lyrics mean?

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072345
10/17/23 02:53 PM
10/17/23 02:53 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Furio, I have a question for you. If you don’t mind me asking, I know you reside in Italy, but are you of Italian heritage?

The reason I ask is because you come from Italy, yet, you haven’t made one single comment or contribution to our “Italian Heritage Month” thread. I was surprised at that. Truthfully, I found it a bit odd that an acknowledged Italian would not feel compelled out of sheer ethnic pride to contribute some positive content to our thread. At least once?

Especially that so many forum members, Italian or not, have been so thoughtful and engaged on our Italian thread and have contributed such great stuff…Yet, from you, only crickets. Why is that Furio? Lol.

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072381
10/17/23 05:58 PM
10/17/23 05:58 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. A year later the legendary explorer wrote an astounding letter announcing his discovery of America. Now a rare Latin translation of that letter will be offered for auction by Christies, 530 years later, in a sale expected to fetch up to $1.5 million.
In the original letter, written after his return to Europe, Columbus told Spanish royal treasurer Luis de Santángel: “I know you will be rejoiced at the glorious success that our Lord has given me in my voyage.” He added: “I write this to tell you how in thirty-three days I sailed to the Indies with the fleet that the illustrious King and Queen, our Sovereigns, gave me, where I discovered a great many islands, inhabited by numberless people."
-

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072412
10/17/23 08:17 PM
10/17/23 08:17 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Gianni Versace

Giovanni (Gianni) Maria Versace ( Reggio Calabria , December 2, 1946 – Miami , July 15 , 1997 ) was an Italian fashion designer .

Gianni Versace, his older brother Santo and younger sister Donatella , grew up with his father and mother Francesca, who were tailors . An older sister, Tina, died at the age of twelve from a tetanus infection . [1]

Career in fashion
As a child, Gianni helped his mother select gemstones and gold braid for embroidery and at one point his mother also sold Gianni's designs in her couture house.

In 1972, Versace was given the opportunity to design a knitwear collection at Fiori Fiorentini in Lucca , attracting the attention of Donatella Girombelli , who decided to hire him as in-house designer of the fashion house Genny and Callaghan . As a freelancer , Gianni then worked for various labels: De Parisi , Genny , Callaghan , Alma and Complice where he created leather and suede collections in 1974.

In 1978, Versace created his first collection and opened a boutique with his brother Santo on Via della Spiga in Milan , where other fashion labels were also sold. This marked the establishment of the fashion house Versace .

In 1979, his first loose but elegant men's fashion line attracted some well-known customers, such as Woody Allen , Bruce Springsteen and Andy Warhol , but his women's line with jungle prints also received great attention that same year. Notable pieces from his 1982 collection were the leather trousers and the riding breeches that combined leather and silk. In 1984 he processed knitted metal and octagonal steel rings into mermaid dresses .

From 1982 onwards, in addition to the regular collections, Versace also produced ballet , theater and other performances. After a famous costuming of the ballet "Josephlegende" by Richard Strauss for the Scala of Milan , he designed for, among others, Maurice Béjart , William Forsythe , Elton John , the New York City Ballet and the San Francisco Opera . In 1985, Versace took over Instante , with the aim of appealing to a younger and less wealthy audience. Gianni launched the Versus subsidiary line in 1989, which was produced by his sister Donatella.

In 1994, the group had about forty stores worldwide, but the conquest of North America through Versus would only be achieved after the label started to profile itself at various New York designer shows and the group spent 8% of direct sales on promotion . This share would be drastically reduced again from 1997 onwards.

Recognition
In 1986, Versace was decorated as Commander of the Order of Merit by Italian President Francesco Cossiga . He received the Grande Médaille de Vermeil de la ville de Paris from the mayor of Paris , Jacques Chirac .

Death
On July 15, 1997, Versace was murdered outside his home Casa Casuarina in Florida . He left behind his partner Antonio D'Amico , with whom he had been in a relationship since 1982. Versace was the fifth fatal victim of serial killer Andrew Cunanan , who subsequently committed suicide .

Many famous people and pop stars appeared at the funeral, including Princess Diana and Elton John , who dedicated his album The Big Picture (1997) to the murdered couturier. [2] Gianni Versace is buried at his estate on Lake Como .

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072413
10/17/23 08:30 PM
10/17/23 08:30 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Dolce & Gabbana also known by initials D&G, is an Italian luxury fashion house founded in 1985 in Legnano by Italian designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana. The house specializes in ready-to-wear, handbags, accessories, and cosmetics and licenses its name and branding to Luxottica for eyewear.

Products Clothing, footwear, handbags, sunglasses, watches, jewellery, perfumes and cosmetics.

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072431
10/18/23 12:41 AM
10/18/23 12:41 AM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
One of, if not the most amazing Columbus themed locations in the U.S. is located in Boalsburg,PA,a small town about 3 hrs east of Pittsburgh.

Boalsburg is home to the Boal mansion and the Columbus Chapel.
The Boals have owned the house for about the last 200 years.

The Mansion tour is fascinating,and showcases numerous historical artifacts,and personal items from historical figures from all over the world.

The showcase of the tour is the Columbus Chapel, which once stood on the family grounds in Genoa.
In the early 1900's the Chapel was disassembled by a member of the Colon family,and sent to Thomas Boal,her husband,and re-assembled on the grounds of the estate. (Christopher Columbus was born Cristobal Colon in Genoa).
Among other artifacts,the Chapel includes Columbus's Admiral desk,15th century priestly vestments,Renaissance era paintings,and 2 pieces of the True Cross along with a letter from the Bishop of Leon attesting to their veracity.

Trivia: Boalsburg bills itself as the birthplace of Memorial Day,so that's the time you want to visit.

While at Boalsburg,you can check out the PA Military Museum which is right across the highway, and also visit Penn's Cave,about 15-20 miles east,which is an underground boat tour of a cavern.

Do yourself a favor and Google the Mansion,Chapel,Military Museum,and the Cavern tour. There is so much more info available than I could fit here.

I live in Pittsburgh,and every Memorial day for about 6 years,my girlfriend and I made a "pilgrimage"to this beautiful town.

We would eat fried chicken made by the local Fire Department at their fundraiser,go to a small carnival,(where you could actually win at the games),and watch the judging for both homemade pies,and garden grown roses.

The feature of the holiday is a very low-key,respectful procession,to the graves of the people who gave their lives during their Military Service.

Some re-enactors set up a mini bivouac with period tents,and wear replica Civil War uniforms,but nothing tacky or commercial.

If you're in the area,definitely stop by.

Last edited by Lou_Para; 10/18/23 12:49 AM.
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072434
10/18/23 04:41 AM
10/18/23 04:41 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
A thread about all things Italian would be incomplete without mentioning the Serie A and the legendary European soccer teams it spawned such as SSC Napoli, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus FC, AS Roma or SS Lazio.

Last edited by TheKillingJoke; 10/18/23 04:44 AM.
Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072435
10/18/23 04:44 AM
10/18/23 04:44 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy

The best song after Volare.

Let me sing
With the guitar in hand
Let me sing
I am Italian

Good morning Italy with the spaghetti
And a partisan as president
With the car radio button always in your right hand
A canary above the window

Good morning Italy with your artists
With too much America on the posters
With songs with heart
With more women and fewer nuns

Good morning Italy, good morning Mary
With eyes full of melancholy
Good morning God
You know that I am here too

Let me sing
With the guitar in hand
Let me slowly sing a song

Let me sing
Because I'm proud of it
I am Italian
A real Italian

Good morning Italy that is not afraid
With mint shaving cream
With a blue pinstripe suit
And slow motion on Sundays on TV

Good morning Italy with an espresso
The new socks in the first drawer
With the flag at the dry cleaners
And a broken car down the house

Good morning Italy, good morning Mary
With eyes full of melancholy
Good morning God
You know that I am here too

Let me sing
With the guitar in hand

Let me sing
Because I'm proud of it
I am Italian
A real Italian

Let me sing
With the guitar in hand

Let me sing
Because I'm proud of
I am Italian
A real Italian

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: Toodoped] #1072436
10/18/23 04:50 AM
10/18/23 04:50 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Phil Anselmo, leading vocal for the world famous metal band Pantera, is a half Sicilian born in the US...

Italian Americans have made numerous contributions to the heavy metal genre. For instance one of the most iconic heavy metal/hard rock voices of all time;

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1072437
10/18/23 05:01 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Phil Anselmo, leading vocal for the world famous metal band Pantera, is a half Sicilian born in the US...

Italian Americans have made numerous contributions to the heavy metal genre. For instance one of the most iconic heavy metal/hard rock voices of all time;

+1 and thanks for the remind since I totally forgot about Dio.

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072438
CleanBandit Offline
Capo
CleanBandit  Offline
Capo
There are parts of Croatia where Italian is taught in school as well due to a huge Italian influence in those regions (Istria mainly).

I found Croatians and Italians to be very similar in a lot of "everyday things" and similar mentality. For example, Croatians and Italians love spending time in cafes, and 2-3 hour long coffee chats with friends are not unusual. Whereas in Slovenia, they don't understand how we can just sit around and drink coffee for such a long time smile

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: CleanBandit] #1072440
10/18/23 05:03 AM
10/18/23 05:03 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by CleanBandit
There are parts of Croatia where Italian is taught in school as well due to a huge Italian influence in those regions (Istria mainly).

I found Croatians and Italians to be very similar in a lot of "everyday things" and similar mentality. For example, Croatians and Italians love spending time in cafes, and 2-3 hour long coffee chats with friends are not unusual. Whereas in Slovenia, they don't understand how we can just sit around and drink coffee for such a long time smile

Pa dze si ti brate Hrvat?! wink

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072441
10/18/23 05:06 AM
10/18/23 05:06 AM
CleanBandit Offline
Capo
CleanBandit  Offline
Capo
Pozdrav! Nisam znao da si i ti iz našeg podru?ja, uvijek sam mislio (po tvojim komentarima) da si Talijan iz Chicaga!

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: CleanBandit] #1072442
10/18/23 05:09 AM
10/18/23 05:09 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by CleanBandit
Pozdrav! Nisam znao da si i ti iz našeg podru?ja, uvijek sam mislio (po tvojim komentarima) da si Talijan iz Chicaga!

Nema problem brate. Pozdrav iz Makedonije smile

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072444
10/18/23 06:03 AM
10/18/23 06:03 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

To everyone who has posted here so far.

I wanna thank all of you who have contributed to our “Italian Heritage” thread for all your wonderful contributions…Toodoped, Hollander, Dwalin2011, JCrusher, Jimmy_Two_Times, Rushstreet, Lou_Para, Andragathia, BlackMobs, TheKillingJoke, CleanBandit, British, MafiaStudent, and furio_from_naples, (and to anyone else I might have missed.)

I’ve read and listened to every one of your posts and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one!

Keep it up team! We've still got more days left in October...So let's bang it out!

And I encourage everybody else to join in...what the heck, let's make it a GBB team effort. ;-)

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072454
10/18/23 10:00 AM
10/18/23 10:00 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
I grew up with this Lol...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Linea_(TV_series)

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072509
10/19/23 03:46 AM
10/19/23 03:46 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Glen Danzig aka Allen Anzalone is another worldwide known American-Italian rock singer. Previously Danzig was a leading vocal for the infamous band "The Misfits"...

Speaking about The Misfits, their famous guitar player is also another Italian-American who goes by the name Paul Caiafa aka Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein...

Re: New Series: October is “Italian Heritage Month” [Re: NYMafia] #1072518
10/19/23 07:44 AM
10/19/23 07:44 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

"Letter Written by Christopher Columbus Announcing Discovery of New World Heading for Auction Block"

The letter is expected to sell for as much as $1.5 million

"In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue."

A year later the legendary explorer wrote an astounding letter announcing his discovery of America. Now a rare Latin translation of that letter will be offered for auction by Christies, 530 years later, in a sale expected to fetch up to $1.5 million.

Portrait of great explorer Christopher Columbus, Italian explorer and navigatorGetty Images
In the original letter, written after his return to Europe, Columbus told Spanish royal treasurer Luis de Santángel: “I know you will be rejoiced at the glorious success that our Lord has given me in my voyage.”
He added: “I write this to tell you how in thirty-three days I sailed to the Indies with the fleet that the illustrious King and Queen, our Sovereigns, gave me, where I discovered a great many islands, inhabited by numberless people."
And "of all I have taken possession for their Highnesses by proclamation and display of the Royal Standard without opposition."

Old engraved illustration of Reception of Christopher Columbus by King Ferdinand and Isabella I of Castile - April 1493Getty Images
The 1493 Latin translation of the letter was reportedly produced on an early printing press to share news of the explorer's discovery with elite Europeans. The document has been sitting in a private Swiss collection for almost a century, and is described by Christie’s as “the earliest obtainable edition of Columbus’s letter.”

Christopher Columbus is depicted in an artwork in 1492 standing with his crew on the Santa Maria with the distant view of an island on the horizon. Columbus called this North American island (what is now the Bahamas) San Salvador. The natives called it Guanahani.Getty Images
Originally written in Spanish, the Latin translation is the text which spread the news of Columbus’s transatlantic voyage across Europe, containing the first descriptions by a modern European of the Americas,” Christie’s says of the letter.

The letter’s international publication led to one of the world’s first “media frenzies” for the printed word, according to the auction house.
Professor Geoffrey Symcox of the University of California, Los Angeles, told the Guardian that the Spanish crown sent copies of the letter to other European courtsto stake their claim to the discovery.
“The significance of the letter is its wide diffusion, thanks to the printing press,” Symcox told the newspaper. “The news circulated rapidly — not just through diplomatic channels but mercantile channels as well.”
Columbus famously believed that the land he discovered was part of the far east, instead of the significant discovery of a whole new set of continents.
His 1493 letter highlights this, as Columbus repeatedly refers to natives he encountered as “Indians.”

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull