GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 357 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,369
Posts1,059,519
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
It's a Wonderful Life #83719
12/11/04 10:19 PM
12/11/04 10:19 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
As requested by SC; I'm a man of my word.

It's a Wonderful Life **
(1946/Capra/US)

Overrated. The ultimate feel-good film? Perhaps for somebody who has ever considered jumping off a bridge on a snowy wintry night after being punched in the face by a teacher's husband. Not for me.

James Stewart is George Bailey, a family man who rises to wealth and fame, loses it all, and is saved from suicide by an angel who's been sent to Earth to show him what the world would've been like without him.

This is my first taste of Capra, and I immediately want to see more, but for the wrong reasons. Instead of wanting to see it because this film took me by storm, I want to see more because of Capra's reputation, and see why this film is considered his best over the likes of other apparent masterpieces such as Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

Stewart pushes the film along admiringly, as always, making the most out of a dislikeable character with whom I never connected with--and for a film of its kind, that would be essential. Bailey is a loud man, often angry, frustrated. I can't count how many times he kicked something in the film. I don't even know why the angel bothered to be honest.

Production values are fine and dandy, the directing decent without standing out, and there isn't anything entirely negative to be said about the tecnhicalities. But the film hardly grabs you. The opening twenty minutes are promising, with Stewart's annoying innocence offering a few laughs, particularly as he dances with his back to the swimming pool. But after that, the script gives way to an uninterersting narrative which takes far too long to gain momentum and takes too long to tie itself up.

It's funny how George was going to commit suicide off the bridge, but when he does dive in (top marks for the splash), he doesn't die. Anyway, nitpicking aside, this is a good film that has undoubtedly acquired a status of a popular classic; to me, though, it isn't quite the classic to which it aspires.

Its apparent "universal" theme is conveyed only halfheartedly. At the end of the film, Bailey apparently realises that money doesn't matter one bit; why then, did the writers have him become the richest man in the town? It destroyed the ultimate moral of the story, in effect saying that money did matter after all. But this is Capitalism; of course it matters.

Two stars depicts a great film in my rating system. It would seem to be a generous rating for a film which simply failed to hold my interest, but it deserves such acclaim for Stewart's performance and the solid production alone.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83720
12/12/04 06:19 AM
12/12/04 06:19 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
At the end of the film, Bailey apparently realises that money doesn't matter one bit; why then, did the writers have him become the richest man in the town? It destroyed the ultimate moral of the story, in effect saying that money did matter after all.
You're missing one major point - when Harry Bailey (George's brother) states that his brother was the richest man in town, he wasn't referring to money. He was referring to the fact that George Bailey had friends, and that he was truly loved and respected. Thats worth a whole lot more than money.

I'm somewhat disappointed in your "take" of this film, Mick. Yes, its sappy as shit, but its true on so many levels that it works just fine.

Strange how two people can watch the same movie and come away from it so differently.

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83722
12/12/04 12:20 PM
12/12/04 12:20 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
This reminds me of the first time I went back and read the original reviews written on the Godfather film.

Reminded me to skip the critics view and see the films for myself.

Perhaps you should watch this film with some older people and then ask them about the film. This is a classic in my book and I would dare to say many others of my age group.

After all, this is the story of a man's life. One who gave up his wants and dreams time and time again to help others. At one of the lowest times of his life, he gets the chance to see what effect his life had on the world and on the people around him.

If this film doesn't make feel good about life and maybe put a gleam in your eye, then I think you should check with your doctor and see what is wrong.

After all if a simple man like George Bailey can mean so much to a small town, where do I stand in this large busy world of today?

Happy Holidays to all..

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83723
12/12/04 12:29 PM
12/12/04 12:29 PM
Northern NJ
Daigo Mick Friend Offline
Underboss
Daigo Mick Friend  Offline
Underboss
Northern NJ
What a great film. When I was in my early twenties this film became a cult classic with me and my friends during the holidays. We quoted it like we would quote the Godfather.

I am surprised by your review Mick. I know you enjoy film and look more toward the artistic qualities of a films, but sometimes films are made for pure entertainment. And "Its a Wonderful Life is pure entertainmant.If your looking to smile, cry, and feel good inside then look no further. The general premise of what the world would be like without me has been done in many variations in many films & tv shows. But it is done with special care by Capra. George Baily is such a likeable person only to be reviled by the likes of Aticus Finch.

And remember "Everytime a bell rings an Angel gets its wings"

"Francis can I have a momment"
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83724
12/12/04 12:40 PM
12/12/04 12:40 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Thats why I dig ya Capo....you always makes valid points(of course that ending when Stewart does get the money was apparently criticized in some communist governments at the time as an example of materialism equating to what the capitalist vision of what happiness is.)

Neverless, I like the movie. I usually try to catch it doing the holidays once(then again, since the movie is public domain thats why studios replay the damn movie over and over without having to pay for it) and hell, the film's payoff still works(though who's seen the SNL parody of the movie in their so-called "Alternate Ending" where the town rioted and promptly throw the evil Mr. Potter out the window, with I think Dana Carvey as "Jimmah" Stewart. Ha!) You know, back when SNL was worth watching...

BTW Capo.....as a Briton, I can't wait for your take on the American comedies of John Landis

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83725
12/12/04 12:41 PM
12/12/04 12:41 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
i remember i was 16 years old when i saw it for the first time in my life. i was going through some really tough times. and i sat down to watch this movie that i had heard about so often. and it held me there, for the whole movie. and when it was done, somehow it made me feel better. i definatly did give me a positive outcome on life.

so im sorry if you see it as a waste mic, but sc is right. it's too beautiful of a movie to ever miss.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83726
12/12/04 12:44 PM
12/12/04 12:44 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I agree with mr. soprano totally...too bad he doesn't know the movie!

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83728
12/12/04 01:13 PM
12/12/04 01:13 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
I respect your views on films Capo but here I must disagree with you. First of all,, I think that Capra's direction was perfect because in this film one didn't need stand out direction. What moved this film was the charecters, whom one could always identifyl. George Baley, the fustrated everyman is just like the average American joe and his journey is our journey.

This isn't Capra's best though. That goes to "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington".

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83729
12/12/04 01:19 PM
12/12/04 01:19 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
Yes, no one know that more then those who work in this field.

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83730
12/12/04 02:39 PM
12/12/04 02:39 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
I agree with mr. soprano totally...too bad he doesn't know the movie!
to bad who doesn't know the movie? mick did watch it. and if your refering to me, i've watched it as well.

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83731
12/12/04 06:24 PM
12/12/04 06:24 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
I'm somewhat disappointed in your "take" of this film, Mick.Strange how two people can watch the same movie and come away from it so differently.
That's the beauty of film, man.

Quote:
It's A wonderful Life is one of my "must-sees" each holiday season!
Perhaps. I'm glad I watched it without a doubt. Who wouldn't be glad that they've at least watched an apparent classic?

Quote:
Perhaps you should watch this film with some older people and then ask them about the film.
What on Earth has age got to do with it?

This film obviously has a lot to say about life and how great it is to live in such a materialist world. But as I say, it's message was only conveyed half-heartedly, and perhaps it would have worked on me better had it not focused on a character for whom I did not feel it was worth it.

He's far from likeable, particularly after the opening twenty minutes, after which he turns into some doomed pessemist who, seeing his own bleak selfishness, brings those around him down too. The way his loss of money affected the way he treat his children on Christmas Eve was atrocious.

If I wanted to watch a film that makes me stop and look at life and think about it, I'd watch something such as Bergman's The Seventh Seal or Kurosawa's Ikiru. Two masterpieces which deal with death and the treasured gift that is life. And neither of them seem like a rehash of Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

Thanks for the replies.
Mick

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83732
12/12/04 08:54 PM
12/12/04 08:54 PM
Northern NJ
Daigo Mick Friend Offline
Underboss
Daigo Mick Friend  Offline
Underboss
Northern NJ
Quote:
He's far from likeable, particularly after the opening twenty minutes, after which he turns into some doomed pessemist who, seeing his own bleak selfishness, brings those around him down too. The way his loss of money affected the way he treat his children on Christmas Eve was atrocious.

[/QB]
Wow Mick , I think you need to give this a second viewing. I am not saying that it will be your favorite movie, but hopefully you will understand George Baily a little better. Selfishness has no reason to be used when describing George Baily. A man who sacraficed countless dreams and opportunities for others.
Stayed at home while his younger brother went to college, ran the business he hated when his father became ill, spent his honeymoon money to keep a town alive. When he had the opportunity to work for Potter and right everything that he felt was wrong with his life he refused. He never shows an act of selfishness the whole film

The scene on Christmas Eve at the home is so emotional that you feel you are on the edge along with George Baily. The piano chords, the questions from the children and little Zuzu getting sick. Even when George lost control he apologized before he left and contemplated his next move.

Even then he never thought about himself when he begged Potter for the money that "HE" lost (I hope your paying attention). It was all about spoiling Harry's homecomming.

Selfish.. You are way wrong

Man I got to watch this movie now, I am all charged up.

"Francis can I have a momment"
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83733
12/12/04 11:50 PM
12/12/04 11:50 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
Mick,
I think you would find that older people may look at this film a bit different then some younger viewers. They have lived life longer and are more likely to look at their life with questions, much like George did and wonder what kind of life THEY have led.
The older person may look back and wonder after seeing this film, did their life effect others like George's did and they just didn't realize it.
This film does just that. It makes us older people think about what we have done so far and just who we may have changed during that life.

We can only hope that someday they/we all can look back and be able to say. What a wonderful life it really was!

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83734
12/13/04 04:21 AM
12/13/04 04:21 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by CamillusDon:
I think you would find that older people may look at this film a bit different that some younger viewers.
That argument could be made for ANY film, but its more appropriate for a film (like this) that examines someone's life. We, as an audience, take our life experiences into the theater with us, and we judge the movie (and it's characters) by those experiences. The fact that we've each had different things happen to us makes us see a film in different lights. Mick correctly suggested that that is the beauty of telling a story in film.

The DVD version of this movie has some good extras, including some documentaries with interviews of James Stewart and Frank Capra. They touch on how the character of George Bailey was a truly wonderful man, but note that he had his dark side, too. I think its this dark side that has tainted Mick's view of Bailey (Holy crud, Mick has been seduced by the dark side... we'll have to start calling him Mick Vader).

Stewart was picked, in part, to play this role because he was a talented enough actor capable of showing a goodie-two-shoes being not-so-good at times. When Uncle Billy loses the money and George starts yelling at him you're taken aback that George would act this badly. Part of George's universal appeal (to all of us) is that he's human, warts and all, and this is shown in his frustrating moments. Capra caught those moments magnificently.

Imagine having all kinds of dreams and getting so close to them that you can taste them. Then imagine those dreams being pulled away from right in front of you at the last minute. THAT'S frustration!! That's George Bailey!

Younger people mostly have not had that frustration, while older folk have had that disappointing taste cross their life path once or twice. With that in mind I agree with Cami's quote that started my post.

To Mick - no good film historian or critic always had his audience agree with his critiques. You're a great student of film, but I disagree with you on this one. As a wise young man once told me, thats the beauty of film, too.

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83735
12/13/04 05:42 AM
12/13/04 05:42 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
What on Earth has age got to do with it?
Would an example make a difference for you? Just five years ago I'd have said this:
Quote:
Perhaps for somebody who has ever considered jumping off a bridge on a snowy wintry night after being punched in the face by a teacher's husband. Not for me.
Now I whole heartedly agree with this:
Quote:
Imagine having all kinds of dreams and getting so close to them that you can taste them. Then imagine those dreams being pulled away from right in front of you at the last minute. THAT'S frustration!! That's George Bailey!

Younger people mostly have not had that frustration, while older folk have had that disappointing taste cross their life path once or twice.
That is how age makes a difference. I hope your dreams never being taken away from you but in case it happened to you too, you just might be able to identify with this movie.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83736
12/13/04 10:56 AM
12/13/04 10:56 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
The 'critic' who initiated this thread apparently misses the entire point of the film (and it's title).

Throughout the movie we witness George Bailey's life, which on the surface seems an uneventful, inconsequential one...at least when compared to his aspirations of setting the world on fire upon leaving school. Only when he's faced with the monumental decision of ending his own life in order to (in his opinion) help those around him (remember, he believes he's facing prison & scandal due to the loss of that bank money)...is he given the opportunity to see what his life really meant to those around him.

Please pay heed to one of the most important lines in the story, uttered by angel Clarence:

"You've been given a great gift, George...a chance to see what the world would be like without you."

By the time George re-enters his rickety house, he's quite ready and willing to face jail or whatever as long as he can once again see his wife and children. Yes, he's given the money he needs at the end...but only because of the life he's led, what he's meant to his fellow Bedford Falls residents, and their little town. He was there when they needed him...and they are there when he needs them. Including Violet Bicks, Mr. Gower and little brother Harry...all of whose lives would've turned out drastically different without the existence of George Bailey. Another classic line, though somewhat lost in the excitement is when Uncle Billy proclaims that once word got round that George was in trouble, everyone rallied to help, no questions asked!!

Meanwhile, Mr. Potter sits alone in his office with the envelope full of cash that he knows belongs to someone else. Here he thought, was finally his chance to bury this 'boil on his neck'...but it wasn't meant to be.

What a sad holiday season for Mr. Potter...and anyone, critic and viewer alike...who doesn't understand the message behind this classic!!

Atta boy, Clarence... !!

AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83737
12/14/04 03:03 PM
12/14/04 03:03 PM
Bath - England
Paulie Offline
Associate
Paulie  Offline
Associate
Bath - England
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleonYa

The 'critic' who initiated this thread apparently misses the entire point of the film (and it's title).
Quote:
Meow! :rolleyes:

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83738
12/14/04 03:44 PM
12/14/04 03:44 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Right back atchya..!!!
Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83739
12/14/04 04:52 PM
12/14/04 04:52 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I watched this again last night with a positively open mind. Much better. I appreciate it as it is and can fully understand why it has become so popular. My personal film database entry goes like this:

It's a Wonderful Life **
(1946/Capra/US)
A man rises, falls, and tries to commit suicide, but an angel saves him.
Popular fantasy rehash of A Christmas Carol which isn't quite the classic to which it aspires; there are many delights to be found, though cutting would have helped.

Mick

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83740
12/14/04 05:22 PM
12/14/04 05:22 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
My personal film database entry goes like this:
Is this a site or something of the sort we can register to?

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83741
12/14/04 07:12 PM
12/14/04 07:12 PM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
This is by far my favorite Christmas movie. Ebert put it best in his review when he said "It gets better as it ages".

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83742
12/15/04 05:05 PM
12/15/04 05:05 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Busta:
This is by far my favorite Christmas movie. Ebert put it best in his review when he said "It gets better as it ages".
It would probably have been an even better statement had he said "It gets better as the viewer ages."

Mick

Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83743
12/15/04 06:33 PM
12/15/04 06:33 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Busta:
[b] This is by far my favorite Christmas movie. Ebert put it best in his review when he said "It gets better as it ages".
It would probably have been an even better statement had he said "It gets better as the viewer ages."

Mick [/b][/quote]I don't think one needs to be an older viewer to aprichiate this film. I'm only 15 for christ sake's an I recognize this film as one of the greatest films ever made.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: It's a Wonderful Life #83744
12/16/04 11:41 AM
12/16/04 11:41 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Busta:
Bravo! Besides, one needs sappy stuff sometime!!!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull