GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 361 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,423
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? #1067780
08/27/23 07:15 AM
08/27/23 07:15 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline OP
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline OP
Underboss
I apologize in advance if I'm asking a question that has already been asked a few thousand times before, but after all this time reading up on the activities of Whitey Bulger I struggle to understand why so many supposedly big time drug traffickers just tolerated getting fucked by Whitey Bulger during all those years.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand he was a stone cold killer and as an FBI informant he did have some leverage over others, but at the end of the day it wasn't like he was part of an absolutely huge organization. First of all, his crew was pretty small. Who do we know about? Flemmi, Martorano, Weeks and that's generally it. He did have connections with people that associated with the IRA, but those in general seemed to be distrustful of him.

It's established that the majority of the money he made was from the drug business, but it was rather because of him shaking down big shot dealers in Southie. He never seemed to have the extensive network to bring in shipments himself. And some of those dealers got their drugs from the Mob, some of them were former marines, known boxers, etc... Whitey was none of that. He wasn't renowned for having above average boxing skills...he was an average guy with a receding hairline and the things he had going for him were that he was ready to kill and he was cunning. Surely he wouldn't have been the only guy around that area with that specific set of skills?

I find it weird nobody at that time seemed to have thought about just taking out him or anyone else of his crew for that matter. Were the drug dealing crews around at that time that small and weak? If he were around at the height of his activity in this day and age, can you imagine him trying to tax the Dominicans in West Roxbury or the Cape Verdeans in Dorchester? They'd have blown his ass full of holes the second he came knocking at their door.

Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067794
08/27/23 12:43 PM
08/27/23 12:43 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Unlike many Irish he didn't have childeren so he dedicated his whole life to the underworld. He did have a secret kid with a woman but he died very young.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067800
08/27/23 05:03 PM
08/27/23 05:03 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
I apologize in advance if I'm asking a question that has already been asked a few thousand times before, but after all this time reading up on the activities of Whitey Bulger I struggle to understand why so many supposedly big time drug traffickers just tolerated getting fucked by Whitey Bulger during all those years.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand he was a stone cold killer and as an FBI informant he did have some leverage over others, but at the end of the day it wasn't like he was part of an absolutely huge organization. First of all, his crew was pretty small. Who do we know about? Flemmi, Martorano, Weeks and that's generally it. He did have connections with people that associated with the IRA, but those in general seemed to be distrustful of him.

It's established that the majority of the money he made was from the drug business, but it was rather because of him shaking down big shot dealers in Southie. He never seemed to have the extensive network to bring in shipments himself. And some of those dealers got their drugs from the Mob, some of them were former marines, known boxers, etc... Whitey was none of that. He wasn't renowned for having above average boxing skills...he was an average guy with a receding hairline and the things he had going for him were that he was ready to kill and he was cunning. Surely he wouldn't have been the only guy around that area with that specific set of skills?

I find it weird nobody at that time seemed to have thought about just taking out him or anyone else of his crew for that matter. Were the drug dealing crews around at that time that small and weak? If he were around at the height of his activity in this day and age, can you imagine him trying to tax the Dominicans in West Roxbury or the Cape Verdeans in Dorchester? They'd have blown his ass full of holes the second he came knocking at their door.

Bulger had a gang not only Flemmi,Martorano and Weeks and using his informant status for weak the mob and control the drug trafficking in Southie,he received drugs in exchange of weapons for the IRA.
Plus the 1960s to 1980s period was different respect now. The Mob was powerful and the winter hill gang doesnt fear the mob so he was feared because was a stone cold killer,have dozen of killers and had an alliance with the mob,I think this are the reasons.

Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067818
08/28/23 11:33 AM
08/28/23 11:33 AM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke

I am just speculating here, but I guess it was more profitable to kick up as a cost of doing business than go to war with him. Just pass the cost along to the customers. And maybe they wanted to be around him because of his reputation? It couldn't hurt to be known for being with someone powerful.

Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: Fleming_Ave] #1067819
08/28/23 12:33 PM
08/28/23 12:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
"Fear" goes hand-in-hand with "legend." Bulger'slegend was multiplied by his brazen ruthlessness, deffiance of the Mob, corruption of the FBI, and his being on the lam from The Law for so many years.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067820
08/28/23 12:47 PM
08/28/23 12:47 PM
R
RushStreet Offline
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline
R
Underboss
You gotta remember that his life of crime was exagerrated for two reasons.

He was Irish and from Boston. I didn't even know who the fuck he was when I saw him when he was on the top 10 FBI Most wanted list.

Then you had the movie which played a big role in portraying him a certain way.

Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067821
08/28/23 02:20 PM
08/28/23 02:20 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
The men on the streets doesnt know that was an informant but an irish gangster that dorsnt fear the mob that kill 19 people.
In the early 1990s Garcetti a journalist wrote an article about Bulger that come and say "I will kill you if you will wrote another thing on me",Garcetti asked protection to the mob that can't help him and under police protection a cop said to him "Im happy my last name is not Garcetti".

Last edited by furio_from_naples; 08/28/23 02:20 PM.
Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067823
08/28/23 03:11 PM
08/28/23 03:11 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline OP
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline OP
Underboss
Actually it's contested that Bulger was involved in drugs-for-weapons exchanges. Quite a few have pointed out that Bulger didn't bring in any shipments himself. The money he made of the drug trade was because he taxed dealers that were doing business in South Boston.

As for the IRA connections; an IRA source claimed that most of the heavy lifting in the arms trade was done by guys like Pat Nee, who were actually off-the-boat Irish. And contrary to popular belief, Pat Nee was not part of Bulger's crew. Later on he did have dealings with Bulger, but as up-and-comers both made quite a few attempts on each other's lives and there was always a major sense of distrust between Bulger and the guys that were born in Ireland and were involved in the IRA weapons trade.

When it comes to the gang he ran...I can really only find info on Flemmi, Martorano and Weeks as being part of his crew... The so-called Winter Hill Gang seemed to be notoriously loose-knit.

The logical explanation I can find is that he indeed had lots of people in South Boston fawning over him and his reputation of being a legendary underworld figure and a killer. And he most definitely was an ice cold killer. So most probably just agreed to pay up just to avoid any hassle.
I just can't help but find it noteworthy there seemingly weren't any players around that were thinking that maybe Bulger wasn't as influential and untouchable as the legend around his persona made him out to be and decided to go against him in a major way.

Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067838
08/29/23 11:45 AM
08/29/23 11:45 AM
M
mike68 Offline
Underboss
mike68  Offline
M
Underboss
Brazen, stone cold killer who got away with it again and again and again. Friends in law enforcement and the State House.

Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: mike68] #1067840
08/29/23 12:36 PM
08/29/23 12:36 PM
R
RushStreet Offline
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by mike68
Brazen, stone cold killer who got away with it again and again and again. Friends in law enforcement and the State House.

Cops would bring victims to Bulger Personally. When you know the cops are not even on your side that creates fear in itself.

Perfect example of this happening today is in Mexico.

Last edited by RushStreet; 08/29/23 12:37 PM.
Re: Whitey Bulger - why was he so feared? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1067933
08/30/23 05:43 PM
08/30/23 05:43 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Just my curiosity: what was the relation with the mob? They ever tried to whack Bulger? And after come out that bulger was a rat there,was tension with the winter hill gang?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull