GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 78 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,183
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,898
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8718
05/20/04 07:22 PM
05/20/04 07:22 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline OP
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline OP
Made Member
Rhode Island
I remember, far before I saw the godfather, I just knew as many people in my position did. I knew two catch phrases from the Godfather:"Ill make him an offer he can't refuse" and "I could have been a contender." Wait, I could have been a contender? Ive watched the movies many times and after becoming much more of a fanatic of Godfather, I soon realized that "I coulda been a contenda" was not in any of the three movies. Did I miss that? Was I given wrong information about the catch phrase? It sounds really stupid, I know but I don't remember this in the film but I do remember knowing that it was (before I have even saw the film). Am I just crazy???

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel
Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8719
05/20/04 08:25 PM
05/20/04 08:25 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
No "I coulda been a contender" was in On The Waterfront.Terry malloy, Marlon Brando's character says it to his brother. Maybe you were thinking of Brando catchphrases.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8720
05/20/04 10:49 PM
05/20/04 10:49 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
DSC hit it.

The "Contender" speech, one of the most memorable in film history, was given by Brando in the back seat of a car as he was riding with his brother (Rod Steiger).

[Linked Image]

Steiger was trying to get Brando to keep quiet about crime activities on the docks (and not cooperate with a task force investigating those activities). Steiger was a big shot in the Mob, and he got Brando some small time job, but Brando really wanted to a prizefighter. He had been one, but he had taken a dive so the Mob could benefit from the betting line. Recounting that night of the dive here is that dialogue between the brothers after Steiger blamed the manager for bringing Brando along too fast:

Brando: "It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden and you came down to my dressing room and you said `Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson.' You remember that? This ain't your night! My night! I could have taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets a title shot outdoors in a ballpark and I get a one-way ticket to palookaville! You was my brother, Charley, you should've looked out for me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money."

Steiger: "We had some bets down for you, you saw some money."

Brando: "You don't understand! I could have had class. I could've been a contender! I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am! It was you Charley."

A great scene, from a great movie!

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8721
05/21/04 07:46 AM
05/21/04 07:46 AM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
It was also recited by Jake LaMotta (De Niro) in Raging Bull.

"I got my shot and that's a fact. Some guys weren't that lucky... like the one Marlon Brando played in "On the Waterfront" -- an up and comer who's now a down and outer. You remember... there was this scene in the back of the car with his brother Charlie, a small-time racket guy, and it went somethin' like this -- "It wasn't him, Charlie. It was you...."

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8722
05/21/04 08:04 AM
05/21/04 08:04 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Hey Family; Maybe you confused it with Vito's talk with Michael in the garden. "I never wanted this for you Michael, ..... Senator Corleone, Governor Corleone, you could've been a contender." wink

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8723
05/21/04 09:08 AM
05/21/04 09:08 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
They just played "Waterfront" on one of the classic movie stations here. It had been so many years since I had seen it. It was great to see it again and hear that famous Brando line!! smile He sure had/has a style of his own that's for sure. wink A real naturalness, much like James Dean IMHO.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8724
05/21/04 09:54 AM
05/21/04 09:54 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Funny thing I always have in the back of my mind whenever I'm watching the 'contender' scene:

Rod Steiger on a Larry King Live interview mentioned that when filming his close-up shots, Brando did not have the courtesy to feed him his lines off screen, as Steiger had done for Brando and is pretty much common practice in filmmaking. To preserve the realism of the scene, in most cases the off-screen actor acts out the scene with the one being filmed.

That apparently hit a sore spot with Steiger who apparently never forgave Brando...though of course he was able to deliver anyway, professional that he was. But all those years later, talking about it still seemed to piss him off.

So whenever I'm watching Steiger's close-ups in that car, a part of me is wondering who the heck is feeding him his lines because it sure isn't little brother Terry!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8725
05/21/04 10:11 AM
05/21/04 10:11 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Interesting story Apple. I had never heard that before, although it is much rumored that Brando is/was "moody" and hard to get along with.

I remember years ago in an interview, I believe with Dick Cavett, Brando was his guest and was very sarcastic and rude in my opinion. I wondered why he even bothered being on the show. confused I wish I could remember specific comments, but he didn't answer most of the questions asked or would ask Dick Cavett the same question sarcastically. He didn't come off as very likeable in that interview. confused

In later years he was on Larry King and seemed a little more cordial.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8726
05/21/04 10:16 AM
05/21/04 10:16 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Well...let's face it his legendary talent aside, Brando was never reputed to be a very 'likeable' guy.

In fact all of us here know that his reputation as a troublemakeer both professionally and personally nearly cost Brando the role of Vito Corleone; were it not for FFC's persistence and the screen test Marlon HAD to do, and the clauses he HAD to sign in the contract for The Godfather...we might be discussing Laurence Olivier's performance today!

Luckily though, by all accounts Brando was professional and courteous at least during THAT production grin !!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8727
05/21/04 11:50 AM
05/21/04 11:50 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Apple, Steiger repeated that story on an American Movie Channel interview that was rerun not long ago. He said he was in awe of Brando because of his work on "Streetcar." But Brando returned no courtesies. What I found interesting was that, in that all-time memorable taxi scene, they filmed each guy separately. As you said, Steiger hung around to feed Brando his lines, but when it was time for Steiger's lines, Brando had already taken off.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8728
05/21/04 11:58 AM
05/21/04 11:58 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Apple, Steiger repeated that story on an American Movie Channel interview that was rerun not long ago...
I'm not surprised to hear that he told it elsewhere, probably in more places than LKL and AMC. In fact when Larry King brought it up, it came across as though this was a fairly well-known story that Steiger was simply asked to elaborate upon.

Wonder if Rod Steiger ever did an interview with Robert Osborne of TCM...I am sure this very interesting behind the scenes story would've come up there, too!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8729
05/21/04 12:08 PM
05/21/04 12:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Actually, I think it was on TCM, rather than on AMC. Damn good interview, too. The previous night, they interviewed Tony Curtis, who also gave a good interview with many colorful stories.

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8730
05/21/04 12:21 PM
05/21/04 12:21 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I bet you're right, Turnbull!

TCM recently had their 10th Anniversary (in April) and to celebrate showed every interview Osborne had taped with various stars over the past 10 years (many now deceased). I am sure Steiger was in there among them.

I really wished I could've sat and watched these, but sadly it was a weekday and I had to be at work. I saw only part of the Esther Williams interview, which was being shown when I got up at 6:00 a.m.

By the way, Tony Curtis is one of the BEST guests ever, on any show. He's got alot under his belt and alot of stories to tell...and he does it with a flair and energy that is not equaled.

Best,
Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8731
05/21/04 12:49 PM
05/21/04 12:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Esther Williams wrote an autobio a couple of years ago that was just terrific, with many ribald stories. Well worth reading.

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8732
05/21/04 01:38 PM
05/21/04 01:38 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Actually, I think it was on TCM, rather than on AMC. Damn good interview, too. The previous night, they interviewed Tony Curtis, who also gave a good interview with many colorful stories.
Yep, I saw that interview - and a good one at that. He did tell that Brando story and it really didn't surprise me.

But ever since that interview, I've been trying to find The Pawnbroker, one of his top roles I've heard.

And I believe Pacino got inspiration with that famous silent scream in GFIII from The Pawnbroker.

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8733
05/21/04 01:54 PM
05/21/04 01:54 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by joltinjoe05:
[QUOTE]... ever since that interview, I've been trying to find The Pawnbroker, one of his top roles I've heard...
Another great Steiger tidbit was when he was nominated for Best Actor in this film. This WAS a TCM interview and Steiger was so sure he'd win that while the envelope was being opened he's sitting there wondering how he should go up to accept the award (should I 'saunter', etc....); and then when 'Lee Marvin' was announced as the winner, he said he was 'stunned'.

A refereshing admission, when you're used to hearing the usual...'It was an honor JUST to be nominated!'

joltinjoe05 - I have RARELY seen/heard of The Pawnbroker being on tv. It's one of those rare films that you can hardly find anywhere. Try searching it on the TCM website as that is the one network more likely to play it than any other.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: I Coulda' Been a Contenda' #8734
05/21/04 02:16 PM
05/21/04 02:16 PM
Rhode Island
AllAboutTheFamily Offline OP
Made Member
AllAboutTheFamily  Offline OP
Made Member
Rhode Island
Thanks a lot guys-I must have gotten confuded since I learned the catchphrases at such a you age from media. I still syupid though...lol

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."-Billy Joel

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull