GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 257 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,062
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,364
Posts1,059,430
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rumsfeld #83053
12/08/04 11:27 AM
12/08/04 11:27 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Found this article:

"CAMP BUEHRING, Kuwait (Dec. 8) - After delivering a pep talk designed to energize troops preparing to head for Iraq, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld got a little "talking to" himself from disgruntled soldiers.

In his prepared remarks, Rumsfeld urged the troops - mostly National Guard and Reserve soldiers - to discount critics of the war in Iraq and to help "win the test of wills" with the insurgents.

Some of soldiers, however, had criticisms of their own - not of the war itself but of how it is being fought.

Army Spc. Thomas Wilson, for example, of the 278th Regimental Combat Team that is comprised mainly of citizen soldiers of the Tennessee Army National Guard, asked Rumsfeld in a question-and-answer session why vehicle armor is still in short supply, nearly three years after the war in Iraq.

"Why do we soldiers have to dig through local landfills for pieces of scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass to uparmor our vehicles?" Wilson asked. A big cheer arose from the approximately 2,300 soldiers in the cavernous hangar who assembled to see and hear the secretary of defense.

Rumsfeld hesitated and asked Wilson to repeat his question.

"We do not have proper armored vehicles to carry with us north," Wilson said after asking again.

Rumsfeld replied that, "You go to war with the Army you have," not the one you might want, and that any rate the Army was pushing manufacturers of vehicle armor to produce it as fast as humanly possible.

And, the defense chief added, armor is not always a savior in the kind of combat U.S. troops face in Iraq, where the insurgents' weapon of choice is the roadside bomb, or improvised explosive device that has killed and maimed hundreds, if not thousands, of American troops since the summer of 2003.

"You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up," Rumsfeld said.

Asked later about Wilson's complaint, the deputy commanding general of U.S. forces in Kuwait, Maj. Gen. Gary Speer, said in an interview that as far as he knows, every vehicle that is deploying to Iraq from Camp Buehring in Kuwait has at least "Level 3" armor. That means it at least has locally fabricated armor for its side panels, but not necessarily bulletproof windows or protection against explosions that penetrate the floorboard.

Speer said he was not aware that soldiers were searching landfills for scrap metal and used bulletproof glass.

During the question-and-answer session, another soldier complained that active-duty Army units sometimes get priority over the National Guard and Reserve units for the best equipment in Iraq.

"There's no way I can prove it, but I am told the Army is breaking its neck to see that there is not" discrimination against the National Guard and Reserve in terms of providing equipment, Rumsfeld said.

Yet another soldier asked, without putting it to Rumsfeld as a direct criticism, how much longer the Army will continue using its "stop loss" power to prevent soldiers from leaving the service who are otherwise eligible to retire or quit.

Rumsfeld said that this condition was simply a fact of life for soldiers at time of war.

"It's basically a sound principle, it's nothing new, it's been well understood" by soldiers, he said. "My guess is it will continue to be used as little as possible, but that it will continue to be used."

In his opening remarks, Rumsfeld stressed that soldiers who are heading to Iraq should not believe those who say the insurgents cannot be defeated or who otherwise doubt the will of the military to win.

"They say we can't prevail. I see that violence and say we must win," Rumsfeld said.

Re: Rumsfeld #83054
12/08/04 02:16 PM
12/08/04 02:16 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Interesting article! Would you mind telling me where you found it or perhaps provide me with a link? I would appreciate it!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Rumsfeld #83055
12/08/04 02:37 PM
12/08/04 02:37 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
...asked Rumsfeld in a question-and-answer session why vehicle armor is still in short supply, nearly three years after the war in Iraq.

Are these Earth years?

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Rumsfeld #83056
12/08/04 02:48 PM
12/08/04 02:48 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I saw this on MSNBC this morning. Rumsfeld looked utterly shocked that he got a negative question thrown at him. He's used to nothing but praise from his troops. I guess a little slap of reality was more then he could take. He must have thought it was just another photo op.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Rumsfeld #83057
12/08/04 03:02 PM
12/08/04 03:02 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
This is from CNN. Also FYI, did anyone see 60 minutes sunday about all these reserves getting called back after completing there service and retiring??? No back door draft????? Right! :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/12/08/rumsfeld.troops.ap/index.html

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Rumsfeld #83058
12/08/04 03:21 PM
12/08/04 03:21 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Finally! Now these are some smart troops. What's his address? I would like to send him a case of lip balm.

Nice work boys! Bringing it back to "man".

Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Rumsfeld #83059
12/08/04 03:29 PM
12/08/04 03:29 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Interesting article! Would you mind telling me where you found it or perhaps provide me with a link? I would appreciate it!

Don Cardi
I got it from AOL

Re: Rumsfeld #83060
12/08/04 04:07 PM
12/08/04 04:07 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Yes, I found it after I posted. Thanks Irishman!

Very, Very interesting stuff. Good for those soldiers! I commend them! They have every right to ask those questions of Rumsfeld! After all, they are the ones out there!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Rumsfeld #83061
12/08/04 04:10 PM
12/08/04 04:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:
Finally! Now these are some smart troops. What's his address? I would like to send him a case of lip balm.

Doc
They ARE some smart troops Doc! As I posted above they have every right to ask those questions. Oh, Doc, as for the case of lip balm, don't send it to Rumsfeld, send it to the soldiers, they asked for it and need it more than he does!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: Rumsfeld #83062
12/08/04 06:21 PM
12/08/04 06:21 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
In his opening remarks, Rumsfeld stressed that soldiers who are heading to Iraq should not believe those who say the insurgents cannot be defeated or who otherwise doubt the will of the military to win.

"They say we can't prevail. I see that violence and say we must win," Rumsfeld said.
I LOVE this part of the article. "I see that violence and say we must win!" Then get from behind your desk & grab a gun!

Re: Rumsfeld #83063
12/08/04 06:28 PM
12/08/04 06:28 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[b] Finally! Now these are some smart troops. What's his address? I would like to send him a case of lip balm.

Doc
They ARE some smart troops Doc! As I posted above they have every right to ask those questions. Oh, Doc, as for the case of lip balm, don't send it to Rumsfeld, send it to the soldiers, they asked for it and need it more than he does!

Don Cardi [/b][/quote]I meant the troops Cardi. By "his" address I was implying the first soldier who started asking Rumsfeld these questions.

Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Rumsfeld #83064
12/09/04 05:41 AM
12/09/04 05:41 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
This was covered on the BBC last night. Fair play to that soldier for having the cojones to stand up and question the people who make the decisions. All politicians (esp those we agree with) deserve a slap of reality now and again.

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Rumsfeld #83065
12/09/04 10:31 AM
12/09/04 10:31 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
These two remarks in particular strike me as kind of cold and uncaring. More or less saying "quit your whining".

"You go to war with the Army you have," not the one you might want.." (easy for him to say)

"You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up," Rumsfeld said." (So what? Let's just be lax on on equipment our troops need?)

That's a huge comfort. :rolleyes:

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Rumsfeld #83066
12/09/04 11:59 AM
12/09/04 11:59 AM
istanbul
cant do it Sally Offline
Wiseguy
cant do it Sally  Offline
Wiseguy
istanbul
how about his statement about bin ladin?

"he's either dead, or he's alive and injured, or he's alive."

that reminded me of schrödinger's cat that is dead and alive at the same time ;-)

nos perituri mortem salutamus
Re: Rumsfeld #83067
12/09/04 05:20 PM
12/09/04 05:20 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

These guys deserve to speak, after all, they're the ones laying their lives on the line to fight for Rumsfeld. As one soldier said in the NY Times today, they had a big cavalcade of armored humvees for Rumsfeld, but that's more than he's ever seen for actual in-combat movements.

Re: Rumsfeld #83068
12/10/04 09:55 PM
12/10/04 09:55 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline
Underboss
New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
These guys deserve to speak, after all, they're the ones laying their lives on the line to fight for Rumsfeld. As one soldier said in the NY Times today, they had a big cavalcade of armored humvees for Rumsfeld, but that's more than he's ever seen for actual in-combat movements.
Is this a case of the troops themselves not supporting the troops? I haven't heard many conservative voices on this one. Finally DJ!

It seems that when I hear: "Support our Troops", it often comes from someone that wants to keep them out there in harms way, while those against the war are "not supporting the troops."

Maybe this twisted logic will finally get untwisted?

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: Rumsfeld #83069
12/10/04 10:13 PM
12/10/04 10:13 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

As I've explained before, I want our troops out. I don't think Rumsfeld has done a good job, and clearly army brass has the wool pulled over his eyes with regards to these big cavalcades that somehow "represent" the real equipment being used by our troops.

Re: Rumsfeld #83071
12/11/04 04:03 AM
12/11/04 04:03 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I think that's great. If the reporter would have probably lost his job then those damn questions better be asked by someone, somehow. If it took this, then great, it's rediculous that this had to be done just to publically ask Rumsfelt these questions. Thats one hell of a good reporter. Good job guys!

The Doc

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull