GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 246 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,774
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The original Pizza from Italy #82779
12/06/04 09:19 AM
12/06/04 09:19 AM
Debra Offline OP
Capo
Debra  Offline OP
Capo
So anyone here from Italy?
I've always wandered about the 'original Italian Pizza'....
If you've been to italy tell me...how is it when you compare it to Pizza Hut or Dominos'?
and which Italian Pizza you ate there?
and if you know a little history-how this amazing piece of food was invented,and which italian company is making the 'original pizza'?

Well,Im gonna visit there soon,and the only thing I dream about right now is Pizza
so tell me where should I go to eat the best Pizza?

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82780
12/06/04 09:48 AM
12/06/04 09:48 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Debra, I hope some of our Italian members give us a natives insight. I read recently that some organization (gov't) wants to trademark pizza to maintain its integrity as an Italian invention. Good Luck.

First, Dominoes and Pizza Hut are not even close to being called pizza by Italian standards. I went to Italy two years ago and sampled several pizzas in Rome. Roman pizza is leagues ahead of any pizza I have had in America. The quality of the sauce is unmatched. The pizza I had was thin crust, lots of sauce and very tasty cheese. And the olive oil used in Italy is also far superior. Oh God, I'm hungry.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82781
12/06/04 10:27 AM
12/06/04 10:27 AM
istanbul
cant do it Sally Offline
Wiseguy
cant do it Sally  Offline
Wiseguy
istanbul
i once got the chance to see italy 2 years ago while working on a ship sailing between turkiye and italy. i landed on a small town called brindisi near bari and tasted "the pizza" that was kinda different than what i had known as pizza in istanbul all along.

nos perituri mortem salutamus
Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82782
12/06/04 11:03 AM
12/06/04 11:03 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Debra:
here I am!!!! 100% Italian and 200% pizzaholic!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra:so tell me where should I go to eat the best Pizza?
well, I think if you you want to eat a very tasty pizza you have to come to Rome. The secret is the calciferous water, the luxury quality of tomatos and mozzarella. Avoid Pizza Huts and stuff like that. Go to small pizzerias and make sure they have a wooden oven. I'd suggest a Margherita, to begin with.

For pizza history, take a look here:
http://id.essortment.com/historyofpizza_rmgf.htm

It is true that here in Italy the traditional pizza is being defined by strict standards.

"According to the Italian Ministry of Agriculture, only pizzas made in the method defined below are real Neapolitan pizza. There are three types according to the Neapolitan pizza law and they are:

Marinara, with garlic and oregano.
Margherita, with basil and mozzarella cheese that must be from the southern Apennines.
Extra-Margherita, with fresh tomatoes, basil and buffalo mozzarella from the region of Campania.
The pizza must be round, not more than 13.75 inches in diameter, and made with hand-kneaded dough. The maximum crust thickness should be .75 inches and the center must be less than a tenth of an inch. If such criteria are met, the pizza will get labeled “S.T.G.” guaranteeing it is a traditional specialty"

(http://www.pmq.com/mag/2004september_october/chefbruno.php)

BUON APPETITO!!!!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82783
12/06/04 11:09 AM
12/06/04 11:09 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Sounds delish!!!!

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82784
12/06/04 11:14 AM
12/06/04 11:14 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Sounds delish!!!!
Yes, pizza is just like GF saga. You never get enough!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82785
12/06/04 12:37 PM
12/06/04 12:37 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Ya I tried some of the native dish of Pizza when I stopped by Venice.......yup, its f*cking better than the pizza we make in America.

Italy...home of great movies/filmmakers and pizza.......and of course the mafia.

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82786
12/06/04 12:43 PM
12/06/04 12:43 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Pizza Hut and Domino's are essential the "IHOP" of pizza...nothing compared to a real pizzaria.

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82787
12/06/04 03:45 PM
12/06/04 03:45 PM
Debra Offline OP
Capo
Debra  Offline OP
Capo
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:

here I am!!!! 100% Italian and 200% pizzaholic!!!!

First of all,THANK YOU SO MUCH for the info Lavinia!

200% Pizzaholic??consider yourself my best friend from now on!

One more question :

How about home made pizzas?Is it a common thing there?
do people say there "my mom's pizza is better than the one downtown"-or would that be a fantasy?

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82788
12/06/04 04:26 PM
12/06/04 04:26 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Come out come out wherever you are, Mister Vercetti! :p

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82789
12/06/04 04:52 PM
12/06/04 04:52 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Hi Debra and welcome!!

I have never had pizza in Italy, sorry to say. However, being Sicilian, my mother always made her own pizza. I don't think I ever had take out pizza until I was a teenager.

IMHO it does not compare to mom's. :p Her crust is much thicker (which was my very first observation the first time I had take out pizza), homemade sauce also, and in my family anchovies were big on pizza as well.

Of course now, I have take out pizza more than I ever did and I do like it, but still crave mom's from time to time.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82790
12/06/04 05:43 PM
12/06/04 05:43 PM
Debra Offline OP
Capo
Debra  Offline OP
Capo
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Hi Debra and welcome!!

TIS
Hi TIS!Thanx for the warm welcome!

Your mom's pizza sounds like heaven!-what about the cheese,shes using Mozzarella?

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82791
12/06/04 05:49 PM
12/06/04 05:49 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
First, Dominoes and Pizza Hut are not even close to being called pizza by Italian standards. I went to Italy two years ago and sampled several pizzas in Rome. Roman pizza is leagues ahead of any pizza I have had in America.
Dominoes and Pizza Hut are not even close to being called pizza by Italian standards even when compared to American Pizza!

Although I have never been to Italy and tasted thier Pizza, I have been told that it is just fantastic! I plan on going to Italy within the next couple of years.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82792
12/06/04 06:11 PM
12/06/04 06:11 PM
California

California
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
[b] Hi Debra and welcome!!

TIS
Hi TIS!Thanx for the warm welcome!

Your mom's pizza sounds like heaven!-what about the cheese,shes using Mozzarella? [/b][/quote]I believe she usually used Romano cheese, however we always had provolone on hand as well. She would by it from the Italian market and grate it. BTW, she would also make 8 loaves of fresh Italian bread every week. Every Saturday I'd wake up (around noon :p ) to that wonderful smell.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82793
12/06/04 09:10 PM
12/06/04 09:10 PM
NY
Chancre Offline
Capo
Chancre  Offline
Capo
NY
I spent a whole 12 hour flight next to a guy on his way back home to Sicily. That is all he talked about the whole time -- listing the ingredients and describing every variation. It wasn't long before we were both drooling and biting our own hands in hunger. Once we landed, we both ran to the nearest oven -- almost forgetting our luggage on the way!!

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82794
12/06/04 09:14 PM
12/06/04 09:14 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chancre:
I spent a whole 12 hour flight next to a guy on his way back home to Sicily. That is all he talked about the whole time -- listing the ingredients and describing every variation. It wasn't long before we were both drooling and biting our own hands in hunger. Once we landed, we both ran to the nearest oven -- almost forgetting our luggage on the way!!

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82795
12/07/04 05:46 AM
12/07/04 05:46 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
200% Pizzaholic??consider yourself my best friend from now on!
gimme five!

One more question :

Quote:
How about home made pizzas?Is it a common thing there?
do people say there "my mom's pizza is better than the one downtown"-or would that be a fantasy?
no fantasy at all!!! It is quite common here to have home made pizzas, provided you got the required skills! If you are a real cooking disaster (like me) you can always count on pre-prep or freezed pizzas (but never admit it! Your reputation as a cook would be highly compromised!)

Re: The original Pizza from Italy #82796
12/07/04 12:15 PM
12/07/04 12:15 PM
Debra Offline OP
Capo
Debra  Offline OP
Capo
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:

If you are a real cooking disaster (like me) ...
Wait a sec,I'm sure youre great when it comes to Spaghetti,right?

TIS - Fresh Italian Bread..you remember how she made it?

Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: Debra] #430222
08/30/07 11:59 PM
08/30/07 11:59 PM
Caldwell, North Jersey
JRCX Offline
SicilianCulture.com
JRCX  Offline
SicilianCulture.com
Capo
Caldwell, North Jersey
When i was in sicily i would even see an egg in the middle of the pizza, there are tons of variations..

"There are 2 types of people in the world, Italian, and those who wish they were Italian."

# # # JRCX
Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: Don Cardi] #430426
08/31/07 08:02 PM
08/31/07 08:02 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
First, Dominoes and Pizza Hut are not even close to being called pizza by Italian standards. I went to Italy two years ago and sampled several pizzas in Rome. Roman pizza is leagues ahead of any pizza I have had in America.
Dominoes and Pizza Hut are not even close to being called pizza by Italian standards even when compared to American Pizza!

Although I have never been to Italy and tasted their Pizza, I have been told that it is just fantastic! I plan on going to Italy within the next couple of years.

Don Cardi

Thanks for resurrecting this topic! I didn't even realize that I posted in it way back when.

Well as many of you already know, I finally made that trip to Italy over this past summer.

The Pizza in Italy? NOTHING like it in the world. Absolutely delicious! Every ingredient used to make the pizzas in Italy is fresh. Just outstanding!

Places like Pizza Hut, Domino's, and every other commercial chain pizza place should be closed down for attempting to impersonate an authentic Italian pizzeria!

Originally Posted By: JRCX
When i was in sicily i would even see an egg in the middle of the pizza, there are tons of variations.

Here is a LINK TO A REALLY GREAT WEBSITE that lists all the different kinds of Pizzas. ;\)

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: Lavinia from Italy] #430437
08/31/07 10:12 PM
08/31/07 10:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Lavinia from Italy
 Quote:
here I am!!!! 100% Italian and 200% pizzaholic!!!! \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra:so tell me where should I go to eat the best Pizza?
well, I think if you you want to eat a very tasty pizza you have to come to Rome. The secret is the calciferous water, the luxury quality of tomatos and mozzarella. Avoid Pizza Huts and stuff like that. Go to small pizzerias and make sure they have a wooden oven. I'd suggest a Margherita, to begin with.

For pizza history, take a look here:
http://id.essortment.com/historyofpizza_rmgf.htm

It is true that here in Italy the traditional pizza is being defined by strict standards.

"According to the Italian Ministry of Agriculture, only pizzas made in the method defined below are real Neapolitan pizza. There are three types according to the Neapolitan pizza law and they are:

Marinara, with garlic and oregano.
Margherita, with basil and mozzarella cheese that must be from the southern Apennines.
Extra-Margherita, with fresh tomatoes, basil and buffalo mozzarella from the region of Campania.
The pizza must be round, not more than 13.75 inches in diameter, and made with hand-kneaded dough. The maximum crust thickness should be .75 inches and the center must be less than a tenth of an inch. If such criteria are met, the pizza will get labeled “S.T.G.” guaranteeing it is a traditional specialty"

(http://www.pmq.com/mag/2004september_october/chefbruno.php)

BUON APPETITO!!!! \:\)

My mother came close to making it that way. She made her own dough. She used rectangular pans though. She crushed fresh tomato and olive oil, but the mozzarella was store bought. I'm not sure what brand or type it was. She seasoned with fresh garlic and oregano. Oregano is the only seasoning one should use on pizza. She never added any toppings. It was out of this world and I judge everything I eat by her pizza. It's a shame that most Americans never get to taste real pizza

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: Don Cardi] #430439
08/31/07 10:40 PM
08/31/07 10:40 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
The Pizza in Italy? NOTHING like it in the world. Absolutely delicious! Every ingredient used to make the pizzas in Italy is fresh. Just outstanding

The Col. told me one time he was in Italy with the Navy him and a couple buddies ordered a pizza and when he took a bit out of it what he thought was cheese, it turned out to be squid.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: Mignon] #430453
09/01/07 12:17 AM
09/01/07 12:17 AM
Caldwell, North Jersey
JRCX Offline
SicilianCulture.com
JRCX  Offline
SicilianCulture.com
Capo
Caldwell, North Jersey
The history of pizza can be traced pretty far back, to the greeks actually, foccocia was the original pizza, and had extra virgin olive oil and rosemary and herbs... naturally it evolved into what we know today... some say pizza is american, but its not, its italian, the tomatoes were brought back by columbus to italy from the "new world" (the americas) and then italians fell in love with them, but the tomato pie (as my older relatives call pizza) definitely came from italy... American pizza seems to be overwhelmed with too much, thick thick cheese, not much sauce and/or inudnated with many things that don't need to be there, (like cheese stuffed crust, meatballs, etc)... in italy its a simple balance of all ingredients and nothing overpowers the other ingredients, equal parts of sauce, cheese, basil, and not globs and globs of EVERYTHING... I can't remember the last time i had a decent slice of pizza in this area, I shot a documentary in brooklyn last fall, i think that was the last time i had a "real" slice of pizza...

"There are 2 types of people in the world, Italian, and those who wish they were Italian."

# # # JRCX
Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: JRCX] #430471
09/01/07 02:59 AM
09/01/07 02:59 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I loved pizza in Italy -- it was awesome! But obviously a bit different that what we're used to and talking about...

I've had "tomato pies" -- from the Seaside (NJ) boardwalk even -- and I'm just not into the sauce above everything else. \:\/

But I still love "everything" pizza... especially if it has black olives on it... \:D

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: J Geoff] #430499
09/01/07 10:54 AM
09/01/07 10:54 AM
California

California
Geoff,

Are you talking the black Greek Olives? They are real salty??? I absolutely love them too. \:\) Many times I'll go to the Italian Deli and buy fresh Italian bread (or make it myself if I'm in the mood), Greek Olives, Provolone cheese and pepporoni, and simply have that for a meal!! Ha ha!! I love it!!! \:\)

TIS

Re: The original Pizza from Italy [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #430512
09/01/07 01:10 PM
09/01/07 01:10 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I like all olives, but on my pizza I like the standard black olives not the Greek ones...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull