GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, Havana), 50 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,432
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia #1054751
03/25/23 09:40 PM
03/25/23 09:40 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
How close were Albert Anastasia and Frank Scalise???

Many have contradictory reasons why Frank (Scalise) was murdered…..

Some say Scalise was selling membership to becoming “made”

….. others say that Scalise was too old school for Anastasia….

Some say Scalise was used to keep Tommy Lucchese at bay….

There was also a dispute with Joe Profaci and Scalise at some point….

anyways; What’s everyone opinion…. We also got to remember Scalise was powerful as underboss and had at least 40+ men under him…

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064361
07/19/23 03:55 PM
07/19/23 03:55 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
Bump;

No one responded.

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064414
07/20/23 06:25 AM
07/20/23 06:25 AM
Underground
Toodoped Online off
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Online Off
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
I also have another question, meaning how many times did Scalise changed positions? I think I remember he was once upped and then stepped down, or was it the other way around?

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064415
07/20/23 07:13 AM
07/20/23 07:13 AM
212-n-305
CNote Offline
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
Anastasia had Scalice whacked so how close could they have been, just sayin...
Scalice was made a boss 1930-31 by Maranzano after Castellammarese then went to underboss then consligliere until Jimmy Squillante whacked him at the fruit stand in the Bronx. Anastasia came up from Masseria and Scalise from D'Aquila. Scalise was also related to Dominick Montiglio and Nino Gaggi who avenged Scalice by murdering Squillante and dumping his body in a tenement furnace.

Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064422
07/20/23 11:36 AM
07/20/23 11:36 AM
S
Sullycantwell Offline
Made Member
Sullycantwell  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted by Zavattoni
How close were Albert Anastasia and Frank Scalise???

Many have contradictory reasons why Frank (Scalise) was murdered…..

Some say Scalise was selling membership to becoming “made”

….. others say that Scalise was too old school for Anastasia….

Some say Scalise was used to keep Tommy Lucchese at bay….

There was also a dispute with Joe Profaci and Scalise at some point….

anyways; What’s everyone opinion…. We also got to remember Scalise was powerful as underboss and had at least 40+ men under him…

Here's what Valachi said regarding Scalice's murder

Attached Files Screenshot 2023-07-20 11.35.27 AM.png
Last edited by Sullycantwell; 07/20/23 11:36 AM.
Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064426
07/20/23 12:27 PM
07/20/23 12:27 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
I read a while back that once Frank Scalice got murdered; Albert Anastasia was vulnerable…. And only had Frank Costello as a ally…

Once Scalice got whacked; Anastasia lost a lot of support in the family… That paved the way for Carlo Gambino…

Gambino/Genovese and Lucchese wanted Anastasia gone….

Joe Profaci and Joe Bonnano stayed neutral …

Last edited by Zavattoni; 07/20/23 12:35 PM.

Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064427
07/20/23 12:52 PM
07/20/23 12:52 PM
B
Brovelli Offline
Made Member
Brovelli  Offline
B
Made Member
There's probably some info out there somewhere about their personal relationship but it brings up an interesting dynamic in the Gambino family I would like to better understand. You have the Calabrian / Mainland faction that was based out of Red Hook area in Brooklyn who took power in the family after murdering the Mangano brothers who were Sicilians from Palermo. Scalise also being a Sicilian from Palermo was likely, though not definitely to my knowledge, more aligned with that faction of the family. I'm not sure if Gambino was more motivated by Scalise or Mangano (I would think Mangano murder) but ultimately the Sicilians made their move and took power back. Anastasia was pretty ruthless and I read Valachi say a massive gambler so he was probably pushing to get money in to himself too. Similarly Castellano also a Sicilian murdered by non-Sicilian members of the family (Gravano is Sicilian descent but not a long term family-lineage member). The Sicilians have since re-gained control of the family albeit there was no real revenge for the Castellano murder on their part I don't believe..

It's an interesting dynamic in that family that continues to today

Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064430
07/20/23 01:09 PM
07/20/23 01:09 PM
212-n-305
CNote Offline
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
This is the best theory I've come across, OC Shortz is usually on point with his research.

Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Brovelli] #1064432
07/20/23 01:22 PM
07/20/23 01:22 PM
S
Sullycantwell Offline
Made Member
Sullycantwell  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted by Brovelli
There's probably some info out there somewhere about their personal relationship but it brings up an interesting dynamic in the Gambino family I would like to better understand. You have the Calabrian / Mainland faction that was based out of Red Hook area in Brooklyn who took power in the family after murdering the Mangano brothers who were Sicilians from Palermo. Scalise also being a Sicilian from Palermo was likely, though not definitely to my knowledge, more aligned with that faction of the family. I'm not sure if Gambino was more motivated by Scalise or Mangano (I would think Mangano murder) but ultimately the Sicilians made their move and took power back. Anastasia was pretty ruthless and I read Valachi say a massive gambler so he was probably pushing to get money in to himself too. Similarly Castellano also a Sicilian murdered by non-Sicilian members of the family (Gravano is Sicilian descent but not a long term family-lineage member). The Sicilians have since re-gained control of the family albeit there was no real revenge for the Castellano murder on their part I don't believe..

Gambino was likely not the one who had Anastasia murdered. Alfredo santantonio, a made member in Charles Dongarra's crew furnished a likely story for the murder it goes as follows:

Anastasia plotted to kill Joe Biondo, Joe Riccobono, and Charles Dongarra. Family captain Joseph Franco was made aware of the plot somehow and then told the three men who then plotted against Anastasia. They sent member Stephen Grammauta and associate Joe Cahill to murder Anastasia and they did. The murder was brought up at Apalachin, but they were
"acquitted" citing self defense as their reasoning. Jerry Capeci reported the shooter being Grammauta and Arnold Wittenburg. Grammauta is also confirmed to have been a shooter by Gambino captain Michael "Mikey Scars" DiLeonardo. Stefano Magaddino also sheds some light on the matter saying that Gambino was appointed by the commission because he was consigliere, not because he just made some powerplay and killed a boss.

Attached Files Screenshot 2023-07-20 1.15.16 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-20 1.19.51 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-20 1.21.42 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-20 1.21.57 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-20 1.21.09 PM.png
Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064433
07/20/23 01:23 PM
07/20/23 01:23 PM
S
Sullycantwell Offline
Made Member
Sullycantwell  Offline
S
Made Member
either way though, Biondo, Riccobono, and Dongarra were Sicilian

Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Sullycantwell] #1064434
07/20/23 01:39 PM
07/20/23 01:39 PM
B
Brovelli Offline
Made Member
Brovelli  Offline
B
Made Member
Originally Posted by Sullycantwell
Originally Posted by Brovelli

Gambino was likely not the one who had Anastasia murdered. Alfredo santantonio, a made member in Charles Dongarra's crew furnished a likely story for the murder it goes as follows:

Anastasia plotted to kill Joe Biondo, Joe Riccobono, and Charles Dongarra. Family captain Joseph Franco was made aware of the plot somehow and then told the three men who then plotted against Anastasia. They sent member Stephen Grammauta and associate Joe Cahill to murder Anastasia and they did. The murder was brought up at Apalachin, but they were
"acquitted" citing self defense as their reasoning. Jerry Capeci reported the shooter being Grammauta and Arnold Wittenburg. Grammauta is also confirmed to have been a shooter by Gambino captain Michael "Mikey Scars" DiLeonardo. Stefano Magaddino also sheds some light on the matter saying that Gambino was appointed by the commission because he was consigliere, not because he just made some powerplay and killed a boss.

Interesting. Yea, easy for me to say Gambino orchestrated it based on him becoming boss on the back of this but that Sicilian / Palermo section of the family I find interesting how it all breaks down. Obviously nothing is ever black and white e.g. DiLeonardo being a Sicilian and becoming very close with the Gotti's as he regularly speaks about. It sounds like ultimately there were many reasons for Anastasia to be killed and he had many enemies inside and outside the family.

Would Gambino have played a role in Tommy Rava's murder too? If so you would think that would make Gambino complicit in some part in the whole dispute and in his taking over of the family. He was a shrewd fucker so if not directly I imagine he was pulling strings one way or another

Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Zavattoni] #1064470
07/20/23 10:38 PM
07/20/23 10:38 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
It was a necessity. During Mangano reign, both would beef on the other every once in awhile. Anastasia put Scalise in that spot cause he needed the extra layer of protection from Genovese and Lucchese. The Sicilian faction of the family did not raise too much of a stink, cause Anastasia said he would harm a member if they came back to NYC, but went back on the deal and had him killed anyway. Scalise was boss then capo, then Anastasia put him in Underboss in the 1950s.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: How close were Frank Scalice and A. Anastasia [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1064475
07/21/23 03:23 AM
07/21/23 03:23 AM
Underground
Toodoped Online off
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Online Off
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Scalise was boss then capo, then Anastasia put him in Underboss in the 1950s.

Thanks for this. Cheers

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull