GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 249 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,323
Posts1,058,596
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Johnny Roselli murder? #1053731
03/12/23 07:45 PM
03/12/23 07:45 PM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

On August 7, 1976, ten days after his disappearance, Roselli's decomposing body was found by a fisherman in a 55-gallon steel fuel drum floating in Dumfoundling Bay near Miami, Florida.[14] [15] He died of asphyxiation.

The FBI investigation summarized, that Roselli was killed by Frank "The German" Schweihs, Vincent Incerro and 2 other suspects. The contract was sanctioned by Chicago Outfits "consigliere" Anthony Accardo, because "Roselli was coming a public source of embarrassment to La Cosa Nostra".

Anyone more info?

Last edited by Hollander; 03/12/23 07:50 PM.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055254
04/01/23 09:11 AM
04/01/23 09:11 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Yes, his own family wanted him dead and executed his murder, but I dont think that a "consigliere" was able to order the murder of influential Chicago soldier such as Roselli.

By the late 60's Roselli was in trouble with the law and also with his own family, probably because of the the LA group (right now I dont remember the whole story), and I think that by the early 70's Roselli lost his respect within the Outfit.

Accardo was the top boss of the Outfit at the time, who during the years of 1976/77 probably made all new inductions (according to North Side capo Joey DiVarco), although later or during the early 80's we have Aiuppa presiding over a ceremony. So my point is that either Accardo or Aiuppa ordered his murder, or both of them. Even Fratianno said something like he was allegedly questioned by Aiuppa regarding his thoughts on the Roselli murder.

We still dont have any clue if the old Chicago Outfit had a official consiglieri position but we have information regarding some non-Italian representatives who were often named as "treasurer", "advisor" or even "consiglieri" for the Italian top level hierarchy.

Also, if the rumor regarding Trafficante also asking for Roselli's life is true, then he had to be in agreement with the Chicago Mob. Trafficante was also close previously with Phil Alderisio and Dave Yaras.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055265
04/01/23 03:32 PM
04/01/23 03:32 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Meyer Lansky absolutely hated this guy. He would sometimes come into the Forge in Miami, always flashy, always trying to impress somebody. It was a long time coming, I believe

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055271
04/01/23 04:06 PM
04/01/23 04:06 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Yes and also according to the reports which were created with the help of informants who talked to Roselli, it seems that the rumor regarding he being very talkative Mafioso was true. Roselli was also one of the few guys who mentioned or confirmed that Ricca allegedly had the last word in the Outfit (i think he told this to Fratianno). This was a big secret in the Chi family at the time.

Roselli also created complications within the Outfits inner workings, like the story that Fratianno allegedly became a member of the Chicago faction or switched families while the top bosses like Ricca and Accardo knew nothing about it and were badly surprised when they learned about it. And thats why i think Fratianno never really or officially switched families.

Im not 100% sure but I think that Roselli also tried to become the new boss for the LA fam and eventhough he was out of the country at the time, still I personally think that this was Giancana's influence over Roselli by sometimes ignoring the top bosses. It is also possible that Giancana was still considered official boss, while Battaglia and Cerone were all acting and maybe Roselli believed this and made a mistake obviously because Giancana wasnt around.

The thing was that Roselli was originally Riccas guy and later became quite close with Giancana and maybe thats why he wasnt killed much earlier, meaning they probably protected him. Ricca died in 72 and Giancana was killed in 75, and so that was the end for Roselli.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055279
04/01/23 04:42 PM
04/01/23 04:42 PM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

In Hollywood insiders saw the triple murders of Giancana, Roselli and Hoffa as a watershed time for Sidney Korshak.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055282
04/01/23 04:47 PM
04/01/23 04:47 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Connection guys like Korshak and Larner were probably just one part of the whole story.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055287
04/01/23 04:56 PM
04/01/23 04:56 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
.....and we also must not forget Giancana's and Roselli's close CIA connection. This was very sensitive and dangerous situation in the world of organized crime at the time. We have wiretapped convos between the two in which they talk about listening gadgets, CIA stuff, Kennedy and Sinatra. Larner was also one of the Outfit guys with alleged CIA ties, same as Richard Cain.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Toodoped] #1055303
04/01/23 05:59 PM
04/01/23 05:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Roselli was killed not long after he testified before a Senate committee on the Kennedy assassination, and before he was scheduled to testify again. This story adds the CIA and Cuba to the list of possible Roselli assassins:

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/25/...lli-because-of-his-senate-testimony.html

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055308
04/01/23 06:29 PM
04/01/23 06:29 PM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Good article. Interesting that Frank Bompensiero was also shot to death outside his home in San Diego.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055312
04/01/23 06:42 PM
04/01/23 06:42 PM
Dixie,ofcourse
M
MemphisMafia Offline
Made Member
MemphisMafia  Offline
M
Made Member
Dixie,ofcourse
Fratianno flipped because he though his closeness to Roselli would put him next.He says of Auippa"this prick,i mean he got jealous of Johnny.Roselli was retired to Florida and Auippa got jealous of him"he said Joey Doves and Santo Trafficante set him up.Roselli was supposed to play golf with Santo that day.Auippa called Fratianno to Chicago after and says to Fratianno"so they just found this Johnnys body,what do you think of that""he is your friend Right".The Weasal repsonds "it aint my business" then soon flips fearing for his life.Anyway he claims it was Auippa and Trafficante who ordered the murder

Last edited by MemphisMafia; 04/01/23 06:45 PM.
Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055314
04/01/23 06:49 PM
04/01/23 06:49 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Roselli was super close to Harry Cohn, the president of Columbia. Cohn was a crazy bastard. Longy Zwillman and Frank Costello were close to him too. LA was all mobbed up back then

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055356
04/01/23 09:03 PM
04/01/23 09:03 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
Joey Aiuppa had plenty of money himself, no need to be jealous. I'm not buying that story.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055381
04/01/23 10:07 PM
04/01/23 10:07 PM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

The CIA loved the gangsters to do their dirty work. Trafficante was huge in heroin trafficking with them.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055395
04/01/23 10:23 PM
04/01/23 10:23 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Hollander
The CIA loved the gangsters to do their dirty work.

Back in the '50s and '60s, the two organizations were like brothers. People hate hearing that, but it's the truth

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055400
04/01/23 10:32 PM
04/01/23 10:32 PM
Dixie,ofcourse
M
MemphisMafia Offline
Made Member
MemphisMafia  Offline
M
Made Member
Dixie,ofcourse
Yeah,I dont really believe alot of what Fratianno says.But i suppose his friendship with Roselli went way back and he may know about that hit like he claims.I also wonder that Aiuppa would call Fratianno to meet.Aiuppa was no dummy

Last edited by MemphisMafia; 04/01/23 10:34 PM.
Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055409
04/02/23 05:05 AM
04/02/23 05:05 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
@Giacalone....Chuck Giancana (Sam's younger brother) said that Sam once stated that the Mob and the CIA were two sides of the same coin. Back in the days I was looking at the Double Cross book as half-fiction project but as time passed by, I managed to find information which confirmed some of those stories and completely changed my opinion.

@Hollander...during those days the Chicago Outfit already had better and closer political connections and also lucrative operations all around the world, than the CIA and so the agency needed or used those same connections with the help of the Mob. For example the ones in Brazil, Panama or the Middle East.

@MemphisMafia...i think we can all agree that the bottom line is Roselli's murder was sanctioned and executed by the Chicago guys since he belonged to their own organization. I dont remember which family represented Tampa on the commission at the time but im positive that Trafficante wasnt able to even touch Roselli without the Outfits "ok", and thats why I previously said that Trafficante had to follow protocol and was able to be in agreement with the Chicago boys and possibly also gave his vote regarding the elimination of Roselli. I lean more towards the information that it was a Chicago internal situation, rather then a case for the commission.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055410
04/02/23 05:58 AM
04/02/23 05:58 AM
Dixie,ofcourse
M
MemphisMafia Offline
Made Member
MemphisMafia  Offline
M
Made Member
Dixie,ofcourse
Yeah,Toodoped everyone on this forum knows you are the authority on Chicago.I hope I didnt sound as though i questioned a single word you posted above.I do believe it was Auippa and Accardo who in the end gave the nod.Although once Roselli testifies i feel it could have been more of a commission matter.He should of took off he had to know it was over after he testified

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: MemphisMafia] #1055411
04/02/23 06:03 AM
04/02/23 06:03 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by MemphisMafia
Yeah,Toodoped everyone on this forum knows you are the authority on Chicago.I hope I didnt sound as though i questioned a single word you posted above.I do believe it was Auippa and Accardo who in the end gave the nod.Although once Roselli testifies i feel it could have been more of a commission matter.He should of took off he had to know it was over after he testified

Naw bro, you have all of the rights to question everything that I post since im not 100% perfect in these stuff and I might be wrong on many things. I like when my research is challenged since thats the point of it. The Outfit was quite unique and thats why we still have a lot to learn so we can reach the bottom of it. Thanks again bro for your opinion which also holds water. Sorry if I sounded tough.

As for Roselli I agree since I previously or already said that it mightve been a commission order since Roselli knew and was connected to many families, or maybe it was simply a Chicago thing, which I personally believe was the case.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Toodoped] #1055414
04/02/23 06:53 AM
04/02/23 06:53 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Originally Posted by Toodoped

@Hollander...during those days the Chicago Outfit already had better and closer political connections and also lucrative operations all around the world, than the CIA and so the agency needed or used those same connections with the help of the Mob. For example the ones in Brazil, Panama or the Middle East.

As early as 1937 , the Agency worked with the underworld.

French Connection
Illegal heroin labs were first discovered near Marseille, France, in 1937. These labs were run by Corsican gang leader Paul Carbone. For years, the Corsican underworld had been involved in the manufacturing and trafficking of heroin, primarily to the United States. It was this heroin network that eventually became known as "the French Connection". The Corsican Gang was protected by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the SDECE after World War II in exchange for working to prevent French Communists from bringing the Old Port of Marseille under their control.[1]

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055421
04/02/23 08:09 AM
04/02/23 08:09 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted by Toodoped

As early as 1937 , the Agency worked with the underworld.

French Connection
Illegal heroin labs were first discovered near Marseille, France, in 1937. These labs were run by Corsican gang leader Paul Carbone. For years, the Corsican underworld had been involved in the manufacturing and trafficking of heroin, primarily to the United States. It was this heroin network that eventually became known as "the French Connection". The Corsican Gang was protected by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the SDECE after World War II in exchange for working to prevent French Communists from bringing the Old Port of Marseille under their control.[1]

I agree again since you are one of the experts on these stuff, although I think that during the 30's and 40s the Chicago Outfit was involved in some small degree, meaning the whole operation was more of a East Coast thing and also some Midwest families like the one in Detroit. Chicago's deep involvment in narcotics allegedly began sometime around the late 1940's or early 50's with Jim Ammirato aka Emery the boss of the Chicago Heights faction. Theres also a photo of Chicago Heights bosses Dom Roberto (deported to Italy), Jim Emery and Luciano (also deported).

[Linked Image]

While Chicago's so-called world wide connections began during the Giancana era. This guy was everywhere and it wasnt only about narcotics, but instead they spread all types of rackets for the whole US Mob.

Thats just one of the reasons on which sometimes some informers wrongfully labelled Giancana as the boss of bosses for the whole US Mafia, since we all know that position allegedly vanished after the murder of Sal Maranzano.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055425
04/02/23 08:36 AM
04/02/23 08:36 AM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Sinatra also had links to the CIA.

How Frank Sinatra tried to save himself when he felt threatened by the mob

https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/new-book-tackles-frank-sinatras-ties-to-cia-mafia/

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055429
04/02/23 09:00 AM
04/02/23 09:00 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Sinatra also had links to the CIA.

How Frank Sinatra tried to save himself when he felt threatened by the mob

https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/new-book-tackles-frank-sinatras-ties-to-cia-mafia/

Thanks. As I already said, we have wiretapped convos between Roselli and Giancana in which they trash talked Sinatra (maybe I previously forgot to mention the trash talk) and they talked about CIA gadgets being different from the ones which the feds had.

At first Chicago owned Sinatra and later "they" hated him. According to one commission meeting in Florida between Chicago, Gambino, Lucchese and the Genoveses from the early 1960's, it seems that at the time the Chicago Mob owned Sinatra and they threatened the opposing faction that if they dont back off, Chicago will pull out Sinatra from their hotels. But later it seems Giancana wasnt satisfied with Sinatra's job to manipulate Kennedy and some sources say that Sinatra was allegedly in danger.

Sinatra was allegedly used many times as a bagman for the US Mob, especially by the Genoveses and the Chicago boys (the two "cousin" families) but he wasnt the only one. They had hookers and other types of women too who transferred the cash or messages, but the Chicago guys also had priests for the job. One was known as "Father Cash" and back in the days during one of my projects I think I managed to find his real name, who in turn allegedly had connections to the Vatican.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1055509
04/03/23 04:07 AM
04/03/23 04:07 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
I think I managed to find some of the alleged wiretaps in my old posts between Giancana and Roselli...

The first convo is about Sinatra and Kennedy:

Roselli: ... He [Frank Sinatra] was real nice to me... He says: "Johnny, I took Sam's name, and wrote it down, and told Bobby Kennedy, 'This is my buddy, this is what I want you to know Bob'. "Between you and I, Frank saw Joe Kennedy three different times-Joe Kennedy, the father. He called him three times... He [Frank] says he's got an idea that you're mad at him. I says: "That, I wouldn't know".

Giancana: He must have a guilty conscience. I never said nothing... Well, I don't know who the fuck he's [Frank's] talking to, but if I'm gonna talk to... after all, if I'm taking somebody's money, I'm gonna make sure that this money is gonna do something, like, do you want it or don't you want it. If the money is accepted, maybe one of these days the guy will do you a favour.

Roselli: That's right, He [Frank] says he wrote your name down...

Giancana: Well, one minute he [Frank] tells me this and then he tells me that and then the last time I talked to him was at the hotel in Florida a month before he left, and he said, "Don't worry about it. If I can't talk to the old man [Joseph Kennedy], I'm gonna talk to the man [President Kennedy." One minute he says he's talked to Robert, and the next minute he says he hasn't talked to him. So, he never did talk to him. It's a lot of shit. Why lie to me? I haven't got that coming.

Roselli: I can imagine... Tsk, tsk, ...... if he can't deliver, I want him to tell me: "John, the load's too heavy.

Giancana: That's all right. At least then you know how to work. You won't let your guard down then, know what I mean... Ask him [Frank] if I'm going to be invited to his New Year's party.

-----------------------------

In the second convo the two Mafiosi criticized the CIA devices and indicated that the FBI versions were more compact....

Giancana: You can't take a big mike like that and put it in a flat.

Roselli: Sure, if you can take it apart.

Giancana: If you take it apart, you might not get the volume as clear as...

Roselli: Well, you play with it, you get an electronics guy... One thing, let me tell you what it is. The CIA has it...

Giancana: Like a cigarette.

Roselli: The FBI out there... has got a portable, it takes conversations way out... I told them, for Christ's sakes report on that thing.. ...... .1 got another kind you.. A guy in LA who's got an electronic cap kind of thing, and he showed me that... so I got to find out what the smallest thing is. If you put it in there, you got a receiver? And receive it when you are set up?

Giancana: Maybe a block, two blocks, three blocks...

Roselli: How big was your receiver?

Giancana: Like a... the box was only this big, maybe three inches by three inches. We were talking "blah, blah, blah." It picked it up. Think about it.

Roselli: Yeah. I'll work on it. Bobby is in Washington .

---------------------------------------

In addition, i think theres also some strong info that Roselli was allegedly involved in anti-Castro operations in South Florida, which confirms the previous convo regarding the CIA and also their ties to the agency.

Giancanas guy and Outfit member Richard Cain was allegedly connected with Central American CIA training camps and also worked as electronic surveillance expert who specialized in telephone tappings and knew how to speak Spanish, and many other things. Cain allegedly tapped the telephones of government leaders on behalf of the Outfit and the CIA. You see, the Outfit used to send Christmas gifts in the form of American cars and other expensive products to Manuel Noriega, Ferdinand Marcos, General Omar Torrijos, the Shah of Iran etc.

Robert Kennedy even asked Outfit member Hyman Larner if his house in Florida was used for shipping out arms for the Cuban revolution, on which Larner obviously used the 5th. We also have a wiretapped convo in which Larner ordered seven Corvettes to be shipped to Panama as Christmas gifts for the officials over there.

-----------------------------------

Giancana even used CIA equipment for his own purposes. For example he was crazy in love with Phyllis McGuire and bugged her room in Las Vegas because Giancana suspected that she was seeing other men.

The main suspect was comedian Dan Rowan and so Giancana arranged for a CIA specialist to tap the phone in Rowan's room to see whether his relationship with McGuire was romantic or not.

I dont remember the whole story but I think the agent got arrested at the hotel and lots of complications occurred for the CIA at the time.

-----------------------------------

This means that Giancana, Roselli and Trafficante were involved in one quite dangerous situation in which nobody was above the state or the US government.

Re: Johnny Roselli murder? [Re: Hollander] #1058802
05/08/23 05:43 PM
05/08/23 05:43 PM
H
Hollander Offline OP
Hollander  Offline OP
H

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull