GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 318 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When did Naples FL become so Midwest? #1051862
02/22/23 09:21 PM
02/22/23 09:21 PM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
So growing up, we always traveled to the Palm Beach area. My grandmother had property just south in Lake Worth. Anyway we were raised in the Chicago area and always loved the East coast of Florida. I’m just confused as to why there is so much love for the west coast by people from the Midwest? Is this something that has happened recently over the last 20 years? Because from what I remember no one went there that I knew of. It was always the East coast down by Palm Beach, Boca Raton and Miami.

Last edited by RushStreet; 02/22/23 09:24 PM.
Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: RushStreet] #1051866
02/22/23 10:04 PM
02/22/23 10:04 PM
L
Lenox Offline
Underboss
Lenox  Offline
L
Underboss
It has always been that way. Its a matter of logistics. Years ago a lot of people would drive to Fla and it was much easier/ faster for a new yorker to go to the east coast. Miami was also a mob haven on the east coast and there was always more action for east coast people.
There are a lot of NY/Nj in naples though.

Last edited by Lenox; 02/22/23 10:05 PM.
Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: Lenox] #1051867
02/22/23 10:42 PM
02/22/23 10:42 PM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lenox
It has always been that way. Its a matter of logistics. Years ago a lot of people would drive to Fla and it was much easier/ faster for a new yorker to go to the east coast. Miami was also a mob haven on the east coast and there was always more action for east coast people.
There are a lot of NY/Nj in naples though.

Let me clarify my question a little bit. Why did the midwesterners start relocating to Naples and SW Florida? It’s the same distance to SE Florida as SW where Naples is located. The East coast is better in my honest opinion. Much more to offer!

Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: RushStreet] #1051869
02/22/23 11:51 PM
02/22/23 11:51 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
It is a lot more quieter and easier to raise families, not perfect but quieter. Look at the guys moving in those areas, they dont want the attention and can earn, but not like on the eastern part, however they dont rub into alot of shoulders compared to the eastern part.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: RushStreet] #1051870
02/23/23 04:11 AM
02/23/23 04:11 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by RushStreet
So growing up, we always traveled to the Palm Beach area. My grandmother had property just south in Lake Worth. Anyway we were raised in the Chicago area and always loved the East coast of Florida. I’m just confused as to why there is so much love for the west coast by people from the Midwest? Is this something that has happened recently over the last 20 years? Because from what I remember no one went there that I knew of. It was always the East coast down by Palm Beach, Boca Raton and Miami.

The main reason why Chicago and other midwestern cities relocated to the west coast of FL, as opposed to the east coast of FL like New Yorkers did and other eastern cities did was a matter of simple logistics, as Lenox had pointed out.

Decades ago, when Florida was starting to draw people from other states (in the years right after WWII), most of those people drove they're cars there. Air travel was still a rarity for most Americans. They used the newly developed U.S. Interstate Highway system then being build right after WWII. It was part of a national program by Washington to develop a network of roadways across America (it also put all those returning G.I.s from the war to work).

I-95/295 is the major highway that run from the Northeast straight down to Florida's east coast (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc). I-75/475 (I think) is situated in the Midwestern part of the U.S., by Chicago and those other cities. That midwest highway (as you probably know) runs from the Midwest straight down to the west coast of Florida (Naples, Fort Myers, etc).

It was a simple matter of logistics, and where they landed in Florida, is where they landed...and eventually settled those areas. With few exceptions, Midwest cities heavily populated the west coast, while Eastern cities populated the east coast.

Last edited by NYMafia; 02/23/23 04:15 AM.
Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: NYMafia] #1051880
02/23/23 08:40 AM
02/23/23 08:40 AM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by NYMafia

The main reason why Chicago and other midwestern cities relocated to the west coast of FL, as opposed to the east coast of FL like New Yorkers did and other eastern cities did was a matter of simple logistics, as Lenox had pointed out.

Decades ago, when Florida was starting to draw people from other states (in the years right after WWII), most of those people drove they're cars there. Air travel was still a rarity for most Americans. They used the newly developed U.S. Interstate Highway system then being build right after WWII. It was part of a national program by Washington to develop a network of roadways across America (it also put all those returning G.I.s from the war to work).

I-95/295 is the major highway that run from the Northeast straight down to Florida's east coast (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc). I-75/475 (I think) is situated in the Midwestern part of the U.S., by Chicago and those other cities. That midwest highway (as you probably know) runs from the Midwest straight down to the west coast of Florida (Naples, Fort Myers, etc).

It was a simple matter of logistics, and where they landed in Florida, is where they landed...and eventually settled those areas. With few exceptions, Midwest cities heavily populated the west coast, while Eastern cities populated the east coast.

Yes but now times are different. I see so many people from Chicago moving to Naples over places such as Jupiter, Palm Beach, Boca. Not really sure why considering I’ve been to all of them and lived in Florida on the East coast in Jupiter for part of my life. When I went to Naples it was nice but much more slower paced, older crowd overall. I believe it’s still that way.

Not nearly as much going on and you didn’t have the nightlife you do on the East coast. The food and restaurants are way better on the East coast as well.

Last edited by RushStreet; 02/23/23 08:44 AM.
Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: RushStreet] #1051883
02/23/23 09:22 AM
02/23/23 09:22 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Yes but now times are different. I see so many people from Chicago moving to Naples over places such as Jupiter, Palm Beach, Boca. Not really sure why considering I’ve been to all of them and lived in Florida on the East coast in Jupiter for part of my life. When I went to Naples it was nice but much more slower paced, older crowd overall. I believe it’s still that way.

Not nearly as much going on and you didn’t have the nightlife you do on the East coast. The food and restaurants are way better on the East coast as well.

Thats true. But the fact remains that the dye has been cast. Generations of midwest families have relocated there and are now indoctrinated to migrate to that area. I personally like the east coast of South Florida much better myself. But it is what it is!

Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: RushStreet] #1051890
02/23/23 10:19 AM
02/23/23 10:19 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
I'm on the west coast of Florida it's loaded with New Yorkers and has been since I was a little kid. My parents had a summer house here when I was 2. My mom and I would leave Long Island and stay down here. That was 1986. Then both sets of grandparents sold their houses and bought modest homes in the water for retirement. That picture of Santo Trafficante meeting with Sonny Black was taken at the Tahitian resort in holiday Florida, which is 30 minutes north of Clearwater. My dad said we stayed there when they were looking for houses. The kings court Donny Brasco bar was right down the road on US 19 right before you enter Pinellas County. Probably 1/4 of the kids I went to school with were from Michigan, NY, or NJ. people retired and bought modest homes. In the area I live in now, Spring Hill, in the late 90's 2000s it was rumored to be a spot for dumping witness relocation. I don't know how true that is.

Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: NYMafia] #1051893
02/23/23 10:36 AM
02/23/23 10:36 AM
B
Big_Tuna93 Offline
Capo
Big_Tuna93  Offline
B
Capo

Thats true. But the fact remains that the dye has been cast. Generations of midwest families have relocated there and are now indoctrinated to migrate to that area. I personally like the east coast of South Florida much better myself. But it is what it is!

I split my time between Miami and IL. Will never understand the allure to Naples and the Western coast of South Fla. Everytime I visit friends there, I practically am counting the minutes until I can head back to Miami.

Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: RushStreet] #1051897
02/23/23 11:27 AM
02/23/23 11:27 AM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Agreed 100%!! Better restaurants, nightlife and people. More beautiful women also.

SW Florida just can’t hold a candle to the SE part of the state which also has a more tropical feel to it. Which I love!

Don't get me started on the Florida Keys, another personal favorite!

Last edited by RushStreet; 02/23/23 12:41 PM.
Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: RushStreet] #1051974
02/24/23 10:30 AM
02/24/23 10:30 AM
New Joisy and Naples
Gumad Offline
Button
Gumad  Offline
Button
New Joisy and Naples
Naples got better when I moved here.

Touch my stuff.....I kill ya
Re: When did Naples FL become so Midwest? [Re: Gumad] #1051991
02/24/23 03:56 PM
02/24/23 03:56 PM
R
RushStreet Offline OP
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Gumad
Naples got better when I moved here.

Its been about 20 years since I last stepped foot in Naples. I don't even waste my time with SW Florida to be honest with you as the only place I will go on that side of the coast is Tampa and Clearwater.

SW Florida , not enough action. Too low key. When I go to Florida I want to have access to nightlife and clubs that stay open 24 hours which Miami has. Then if I want a low key atmosphere I can head up to Boca or Palm Beach which has better restaurants and lounges/bars.

Never understood the appeal of SW Florida and why its so fucking trendy among people from the Midwest. Anyone can tell you the East Coast is better and has even more $$$ than over in Naples. I'm pretty biased towards the SE coast for reason and that is because its better, not even a fucking contest. I'm from Chicago but I'd much rather be around guys from New York than the midwest. They know how to cater to people and their customers the right way and I get along with them better also.

Last edited by RushStreet; 02/24/23 04:01 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull