GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Big_Tuna93, m2w), 217 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,051
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mafia etiquette- kissing th a lower rank that kiss #1041022
09/30/22 09:23 AM
09/30/22 09:23 AM
Great Britain
British Offline OP
Underboss
British  Offline OP
Underboss
Great Britain
Serious question folks..

Seen footage at times of made guys greeting each other and there is a kiss on the cheek.

Does the guy who holds the higher rank kiss the guy, or is it the guy with the lower rank who kisses out of respect?

I know it may not happen so much now due to times changing, but I always wondered about that.

I know it may seem a silly question

British is best....
Re: Mafia etiquette- kissing th a lower rank that kiss [Re: British] #1041024
09/30/22 10:38 AM
09/30/22 10:38 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by British
Serious question folks..

Seen footage at times of made guys greeting each other and there is a kiss on the cheek.

Does the guy who holds the higher rank kiss the guy, or is it the guy with the lower rank who kisses out of respect?

I know it may not happen so much now due to times changing, but I always wondered about that.

It it not a "mafia" thing per se, nor did the Italian underworld develop it. Men "Kissing" one another on the cheek when initially greeting one another or saying goodbye is a very European thing, and an age-old Italian custom that was naturally carried over to many American-born Italians regardless of their vocation, or station, in life. The French and Greeks are also known for this, and several other cultures as well I'd imagine.

Re: Mafia etiquette- kissing th a lower rank that kiss [Re: NYMafia] #1041026
09/30/22 10:47 AM
09/30/22 10:47 AM
Great Britain
British Offline OP
Underboss
British  Offline OP
Underboss
Great Britain
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Serious question folks..

It it not a "mafia" thing per se, nor did the Italian underworld develop it. Men "Kissing" one another on the cheek when initially greeting one another or saying goodbye is a very European thing, and an age-old Italian custom that was naturally carried over to many American-born Italians regardless of their vocation, or station, in life. The French and Greeks are also known for this, and several other cultures as well I'd imagine.

Thanks, being British it's just not something we do.
But I did wonder if it was a hierarchy type thing

British is best....
Re: Mafia etiquette- kissing th a lower rank that kiss [Re: British] #1041029
09/30/22 02:02 PM
09/30/22 02:02 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by NYMafia
Serious question folks..

Thanks, being British it's just not something we do.
But I did wonder if it was a hierarchy type thing

You're welcome British.

Re: Mafia etiquette- kissing th a lower rank that kiss [Re: British] #1041036
09/30/22 03:59 PM
09/30/22 03:59 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

A kiss on the cheek is popular in many densely Catholic countries. While the practice is also commonplace in parts of the Middle East and Asia, Latin America and continental Europe.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Mafia etiquette- kissing th a lower rank that kiss [Re: British] #1041039
09/30/22 04:43 PM
09/30/22 04:43 PM
Paris
M
Malavita Offline
Capo
Malavita  Offline
M
Capo
Paris
Serious question folks..

In his podcast, John Pennisi told a story about when he was at a dinner party with a bunch of other Lucchese made guys and their families.

He was at a table with a couple of Lucchese soldiers and a Lucchese capo named Jospeh "Joe Cafe" Desena came over to say hello. Pennisi and another soldier immediately got up and went to kiss Joe Cafe as a sign of respect but the other lucchese soldier was busy talking to someone so instead of getting up, he just sat still and raised his hand to greet him.

Joe Cafe didn't say anything on the spot but he later complained to the guy's capo that it was disrepectful and that the guy should have said hello the right way. According to LCN protocol, the lower ranked guy is supposed to kiss the higher ranked guy.

Re: Mafia etiquette- kissing th a lower rank that kiss [Re: Malavita] #1041048
09/30/22 06:36 PM
09/30/22 06:36 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by Malavita
Serious question folks..

In his podcast, John Pennisi told a story about when he was at a dinner party with a bunch of other Lucchese made guys and their families.

He was at a table with a couple of Lucchese soldiers and a Lucchese capo named Jospeh "Joe Cafe" Desena came over to say hello. Pennisi and another soldier immediately got up and went to kiss Joe Cafe as a sign of respect but the other lucchese soldier was busy talking to someone so instead of getting up, he just sat still and raised his hand to greet him.

Joe Cafe didn't say anything on the spot but he later complained to the guy's capo that it was disrepectful and that the guy should have said hello the right way. According to LCN protocol, the lower ranked guy is supposed to kiss the higher ranked guy.

THAT is correct also. Lower ranking members are "obligated" to approach and say hello to higher ranking members. NOT the other way around. Its called showing the proper "respect" for the position. (Not so much to the guy himself, but for the position he holds within the family). VERY, very commonplace (and expected).

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull