GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 387 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,102
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death #1039622
09/01/22 01:26 PM
09/01/22 01:26 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
I haven’t posted in a while; but I was thinking; How couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death??

He was having the Cherry Hill Gambino’s deal drugs in his turf but he kept his own guys from doing it (Agitating Caponigro/The Consigliere and guy who ordered his murder)

Did (Bruno) have a feeling he was going to be to be whacked or have any feeling that his guys were plotting against him.

How could Bruno be so out the loop with guys plotting against him??? (Seems like the same situation with Castellano)

I believe the (Cherry Hill Gambino) situation sealed his fate….

Also how was the relationship between Caponigro and Bruno?? Cordial or Strained??

I would love some opinions and input!

Last edited by Zavattoni; 09/01/22 01:33 PM.

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039623
09/01/22 01:36 PM
09/01/22 01:36 PM
eastsideofvan Offline
Capo
eastsideofvan  Offline
Capo
I can offer only an outsider's opinion but I would hazard a guess that he must have realized that he was more vulnerable once Carlo Gambino passed away - but didn't fully appreciate just how vulnerable he was.

He'd been king in Philly for so long that he probably got lulled into a false sense of security. It's easy for anyone to get comfortable in their situation - not see the layoff coming, not see new technology and trends threaten their business, etc.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039624
09/01/22 02:09 PM
09/01/22 02:09 PM
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NYC
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
My guess is he figured that if the Cherry hill guys kicked up money every month
his hands were “CLEAN”

Even if they got pinched they have no “DIRT” on him so not much to worry about there.

That’s how they did it back then with drugs, they took the money and didn’t ask questions.
So they can honestly say I don’t know anything about drugs,

I remember reading somewhere that Bruno, sent for Scarfo, at the meeting Bruno was asking Scarfo for his support.

After the meeting Scarfo was saying I can’t believe what just happened
The guy banished me to A.C. now look how the tables have turned he needs me….

This was shortly before Bruno got clipped, so he did see it coming and tried to re-align himself with Scarfo, because Scarfo was capable that way.

I am pretty sure I read this in Lionetti’s book.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039625
09/01/22 02:36 PM
09/01/22 02:36 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Bruno maybe thinked,where are in 1980,who would dare to kill a boss?

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039645
09/01/22 08:47 PM
09/01/22 08:47 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
I don't know, all I know is what I read. But I don't think a guy like Caponigro was going to telegraph his moves so Bruno probably wouldn't see it coming. Besides wiseguys live with the threat of a hit hanging over them, it's part of the business. I guess they learn to not give a shit about it. As for the Cherry Hill Gambinos, I believe they were with Carlo, no? So I don't get how them being in the Philly area was Bruno's fault? They were related to a boss from a NYC family, was Bruno going to tell them to get lost?

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039649
09/01/22 09:41 PM
09/01/22 09:41 PM
I
irishkaos Offline
Made Member
irishkaos  Offline
I
Made Member
1. I think he was still in a comfort zone of sorts, despite Carlo passing away - probably didn't even believe it was a threat. It would've never happened if Carlo was still alive obviously.

2. I think the drugs thing is overstated - the Cherry Hill Gambinos were not the only ones pushing drugs with Bruno getting kickbacks. Long John for example, who wasn't even made was also selling drugs and giving kickbacks. Though, it could be one of the reasons that he remained an associate under Bruno, to sorta sidestep the 'rules.' But Harry the Hunchback and his crew also dealt in junk, and kicked up. Like I said, the drugs thing as far as Bruno guys being "jealous" about not being permitted to do it is very overstated. It was like most families, do it but don't get caught.

3. I actually believe the biggest factor was a Commission ruling that took place which favored Caponigro over Funzi Tieri for control of a very large North Jersey book. The Genovese were basically waiting it out, saw an angle and exploited the angle.

Last edited by irishkaos; 09/01/22 10:06 PM.
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039651
09/01/22 11:26 PM
09/01/22 11:26 PM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
All about THE BENJAMIN'S BABY!!!!!

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039655
09/02/22 12:29 AM
09/02/22 12:29 AM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
@Eastsideofvan
I AGREE; 100%; He didn’t see it coming; He had his cousin John Simone even plotting against him; They we’re close too….

@Furio;
Yea buddy; It was 1980 and Bruno probably didn’t think he would get whacked…. There’s way to many guys who wanted that man gone..:::: Some are still living today….

@IrishKaos;

I disagree; The Cherry Hill Gambino situation had a lot to do with Angelo Bruno being murdered; Caponigro was a drug dealing (Consigliere) and you think he was going to put up with them operating In Philly turf?? When he couldn’t??

You’re also @IrishKaos; Mitigating the effect that the Cherry Hills’s had;

John Stanfa after the Angelo Bruno hit; Was protected by the Gambino’s… Tony Ducks and Castellano gave him a “pass” …

Cherry Hills protected (Stanfa)

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: BensonHURST] #1039662
09/02/22 04:55 AM
09/02/22 04:55 AM
Paris
M
Malavita Offline
Capo
Malavita  Offline
M
Capo
Paris
Originally Posted by BensonHURST
My guess is he figured that if the Cherry hill guys kicked up money every month
his hands were “CLEAN”

Even if they got pinched they have no “DIRT” on him so not much to worry about there.

That’s how they did it back then with drugs, they took the money and didn’t ask questions.
So they can honestly say I don’t know anything about drugs,

I remember reading somewhere that Bruno, sent for Scarfo, at the meeting Bruno was asking Scarfo for his support.

After the meeting Scarfo was saying I can’t believe what just happened
The guy banished me to A.C. now look how the tables have turned he needs me….

This was shortly before Bruno got clipped, so he did see it coming and tried to re-align himself with Scarfo, because Scarfo was capable that way.

I am pretty sure I read this in Lionetti’s book.

It is mentioned in Leonetti's book but it mostly refers to his rivalry with Phil Testa.

Bruno could sense that something wrong was going on within the family but i don't think he expected it to come from the Jersey faction.

In his book, George Fresolone said that Patty Specs told him Caponigro was making a move so it was outthere at some point but Bruno either didn't get the signals or didn't think much of it.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Malavita] #1039665
09/02/22 09:43 AM
09/02/22 09:43 AM
Millspgh Offline
Capo
Millspgh  Offline
Capo

It is mentioned in Leonetti's book but it mostly refers to his rivalry with Phil Testa.

Bruno could sense that something wrong was going on within the family but i don't think he expected it to come from the Jersey faction.

In his book, George Fresolone said that Patty Specs told him Caponigro was making a move so it was outthere at some point but Bruno either didn't get the signals or didn't think much of it.

[/quote]

Off-topic a bit here, but Malavita - How is Leonetti's book? Is it worth the read?

Last edited by Millspgh; 09/02/22 09:44 AM.
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039667
09/02/22 12:04 PM
09/02/22 12:04 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
Because he was dead and I don't believe in ghosts.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Millspgh] #1039668
09/02/22 01:54 PM
09/02/22 01:54 PM
Paris
M
Malavita Offline
Capo
Malavita  Offline
M
Capo
Paris
Originally Posted by Millspgh

Off-topic a bit here, but Malavita - How is Leonetti's book? Is it worth the read?

For sure. It's one of the best mafia books. I would put it up there with Gravano and Al d'Arco's books as the most informative books you can find on a made guy's "career" in a family.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039672
09/02/22 05:41 PM
09/02/22 05:41 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Killing a sitting boss with the commission still intact was not a everyday occasion …

Not saying it never happened … but he was a pretty protected guy in his mind .

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Malavita] #1039692
09/03/22 11:51 AM
09/03/22 11:51 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Malavita
Originally Posted by Millspgh

For sure. It's one of the best mafia books. I would put it up there with Gravano and Al d'Arco's books as the most informative books you can find on a made guy's "career" in a family.

Gravano and D'arco portrayed themselves to to be victims or heroes in every story they told.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039696
09/03/22 01:33 PM
09/03/22 01:33 PM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
Leonetti's book was a great one. He mentions the Bruno coming to Scarfo. My favorite part is how he talks shit about the life and you never hear from him again. By means of never getting in trouble. He learned his lesson and made a living in the legitimate world. As mentioned, Bruno was on top of his empire, who was going to kill him. Maybe some people get all paranoid like Scarfo and others understand that youre gonna get it one day and there's nothing you can do about it.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: blueracing347] #1039713
09/04/22 02:18 AM
09/04/22 02:18 AM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Originally Posted by blueracing347
Leonetti's book was a great one. He mentions the Bruno coming to Scarfo. My favorite part is how he talks shit about the life and you never hear from him again. By means of never getting in trouble. He learned his lesson and made a living in the legitimate world. As mentioned, Bruno was on top of his empire, who was going to kill him. Maybe some people get all paranoid like Scarfo and others understand that youre gonna get it one day and there's nothing you can do about it.

Did Bruno acquire wealth as the head of the P.A. LCN family?
I personally never heard about anyone one from that family "GETTING OFF" from any rackets..

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: blueracing347] #1039722
09/04/22 12:05 PM
09/04/22 12:05 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

He didn't learn a lesson, he was afraid to go to prison. I think he stays low key because he is embarrassed. Plus he ratted out an
uncle, which means his family must be divided on him. He also blamed everything on his uncle, what a coward and punk.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: blueracing347] #1039724
09/04/22 12:42 PM
09/04/22 12:42 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss

. Very True. Mafia Prince is certainly one of the best mob books out there. If nothing else Leonetti has at least stayed straight since getting out of that life and realizes that life was no good. Doesn’t mean I like him and I certainly feel he doesn’t take enough responsibility for his bad deeds but at least he has stayed out of trouble

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039768
09/05/22 03:06 AM
09/05/22 03:06 AM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
I read the book a long time ago.
The only part that really sticks out about it was that Leonetti blames everything in Scarfo,

It wasn’t much different than Alit blaming everything on Jr.

He was Crazy Phil to the core until he got pinched
And then his uncle made him do it all.

If anyone wants a real good laugh
Watch Phil’s interview I forget who the reporter is but he hasn’t done to many of them.

He is SOOOO BURNT this Phil, that the interviewer when he figures out that Phil, married a girl of somehow he killed.

When the interview figures it out he is a little taken back so he asks Phil, don’t you think its a little strange that ( I forget what word he used)
that you married this woman after you killed her husband that was your friend.

Phil, looks him in the face dead serious says “WHATS WRONG WITH THAT”?

Like it was perfectly Norman situation.

You have to watch it to see what I mean.

Last edited by BensonHURST; 09/05/22 11:48 AM.
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: BensonHURST] #1039774
09/05/22 07:05 AM
09/05/22 07:05 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I read the book a long time ago.
The only part that really sticks out about it was that Leonetti blames everything in Scarfo,

It wasn’t much different than Alit blaming everything on Jr.

He was Crazy Phil to the core until he got pinched
And then his uncle made him do it all.

If anyone wants a real good laugh
Watch Phil’s interview I forget who the reporter is but he hasn’t done to many of them.

He is SOOOO BURNT this Phil, that the interviewer when he figures out that Phil, married a girl of somehow he killed.

When the interview figures it out he is a little taken back so he asks Phil, don’t think its a little strange that I forget what word he used that you married this woman after you killed her husband that was your friend.

Phil, looks him in the face dead serious says “WHATS WRONG WITH THAT”?

Like it was perfectly Norman situation.

You have to watch it to see what I mean.

. Yup it was the 1996 prime time interview he did. He was asked if killing people bothered him and he said “No because they were just bad people”. I agree he doesn’t take responsibility. There is no doubt Scarfo was a psycho but at the same time Leonetti willingly participated so him just blaming Scarfo for his own choices is bogus. However at least he has stayed out of trouble as far as we know since 1989. Also he has stayed pretty quiet outside of a few interviews and the book

Last edited by JCrusher; 09/05/22 07:07 AM.
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1039803
09/05/22 09:20 PM
09/05/22 09:20 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Leonetti was a self serving liar, and as for saying he stayed straight, how can you know? If he has been arrested under his new identity and it was kept quiet, we would not know.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: jace] #1039824
09/06/22 11:32 AM
09/06/22 11:32 AM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
I thought the book was a good book.

As I said he is funny as shit as burnt as he is.
I am pretty sure he has children now with that girl he married.

I could Imagine him explaining to his children how mommy and daddy met…
And trying to play it off as no big deal.

Those kids are prob so damaged from that.

Be careful what we ask for next we will see the Phill Leonetti pod cast.
The Phill Leonetti cooking show etc…

Mikey Scars stayed out of it for a while he is in now.
Fat Andy’s son has one now.

And the list goes on and on and on and on.

Last edited by BensonHURST; 09/06/22 11:34 AM.
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: BensonHURST] #1040004
09/10/22 08:11 AM
09/10/22 08:11 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I thought the book was a good book.

As I said he is funny as shit as burnt as he is.
I am pretty sure he has children now with that girl he married.

I could Imagine him explaining to his children how mommy and daddy met…
And trying to play it off as no big deal.

Those kids are prob so damaged from that.

Be careful what we ask for next we will see the Phill Leonetti pod cast.
The Phill Leonetti cooking show etc…

Mikey Scars stayed out of it for a while he is in now.
Fat Andy’s son has one now.

And the list goes on and on and on and on.

. The book was certainly one of the better mob books. Yes I think you’re right about him having children with that Maria. I think in the value entertainment interview he briefly mentioned naming one of his sons after Salvie. You’re right about a lot of podcasts popping up but it looks like Leonetti would rather stay quiet besides maybe doing an interview every ten years or so but who knows

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: JCrusher] #1040042
09/11/22 12:46 AM
09/11/22 12:46 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
As I & Serp have suggested ln the past on this topic , now that Scarfo is gone , he may as we speak be writing another book with a more revealing detailed inside look & more name dropping dirty shit than before..Mafia Prince left out alot of good stuff as well as a more personalized inside look at their relationship.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1040043
09/11/22 01:15 AM
09/11/22 01:15 AM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Why would he have to wait until Scarfo was dead to do that?

He was in jail for life.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: hoodlum] #1040062
09/11/22 11:57 AM
09/11/22 11:57 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by hoodlum
As I & Serp have suggested ln the past on this topic , now that Scarfo is gone , he may as we speak be writing another book with a more revealing detailed inside look & more name dropping dirty shit than before..Mafia Prince left out alot of good stuff as well as a more personalized inside look at their relationship

. Maybe. He did say in one of the interviews that he did promoting Mafia Prince that he has a lot more stories that he couldn’t put in the book because it would be too long. But honestly we haven’t heard much from him since he got out in 1992. His most recent interview was in 2020 but before that into gunk it was either the inside the American mob series or promoting Mafia Prince. I think they came out around the same time.

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: BensonHURST] #1040065
09/11/22 02:23 PM
09/11/22 02:23 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
@ Bensonhurst...I believe Scarfo's mom was still alive when he was writing Mafia Prince..that's 1 factor as well as other ppls. family that he was holding back due 2 respect as well as other situations...

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1040072
09/11/22 03:17 PM
09/11/22 03:17 PM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
I C
Makes sense

Hope he has some good stories

Re: Why couldn’t Angelo Bruno see his death [Re: Zavattoni] #1040119
09/12/22 05:50 AM
09/12/22 05:50 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
First if you have been in the life and killed you already have decided that you believe in what you are doing .

Phil when asked about killing Vince and being with his girl after …. You have to understand Vince and Maria ( the name that Phil calls her in book ) they dated for a short time and Vince had a wife and kids so it was just hanging out .

In that life and on that street dating Vince and then datingPhil was like Maria getting a promotion to CEO of a top ten company .

I don’t think Vince and her were even steady because i never seen them together in a relationship manner.

I get it sounds weird that she would date Phil but it’s just the it was on the street .

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull