GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, Havana), 50 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,432
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Could Carmine Galante have become boss #1036507
06/30/22 01:09 PM
06/30/22 01:09 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
I hate talking theoretically sometimes; but I was wondering; is there a viable or reasonable scenario that could have taken place for Galante to have become Official boss of the Bonanno Crime Family “when Phil Rastelli was locked up”

Could he have been boss if he had the a better relationship with the commission?! I do know he was close with Carmine Persico so that is a vote that could have fallen in his favor.

Should he have hired more Sicilians?? Or been closer to them??

Should he have ruled more with respect then “fear”??

Would love some answers!! What do people think? We are talking theoretically..

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036511
06/30/22 01:51 PM
06/30/22 01:51 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
If Galante wasn't so greed on the heroin money for sure would convince the Commission (its all about money),he was already the de facto boss and with a little diplomacy should easly be appointed as official boss.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036515
06/30/22 02:25 PM
06/30/22 02:25 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss

What people fail to realize is that the Commission respects power.the Boss position is technically an "elected" position. Whether it's by consensus or by force, the Boss has to have the support. The Bonannos were kicked of the Commission because it was fracture and the other bosses didn't have to respect The Bonanno Boss because he didn't have full support within his Family.

The other Commission members play politics to best suit them. Galante wouldn't have been the Boss without eliminating Rusty, Sonny Black and Massino...... it suited the other Families to support Rastelli. He ran a weak operation( in comparison) and they could take advantage

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1036518
06/30/22 03:21 PM
06/30/22 03:21 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino

What people fail to realize is that the Commission respects power.the Boss position is technically an "elected" position. Whether it's by consensus or by force, the Boss has to have the support. The Bonannos were kicked of the Commission because it was fracture and the other bosses didn't have to respect The Bonanno Boss because he didn't have full support within his Family.

The other Commission members play politics to best suit them. Galante wouldn't have been the Boss without eliminating Rusty, Sonny Black and Massino...... it suited the other Families to support Rastelli. He ran a weak operation( in comparison) and they could take advantage

Thats an intelligent viewpoint Don Pep. And I concur. Rusty was no Lilo, and they knew that.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036521
06/30/22 04:13 PM
06/30/22 04:13 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
I still think that if Galante would split the money and dont angered his damily made men using only the siggies maybe he could be the boss. Its true that ordered to kill 6 gambinos?

Last edited by furio_from_naples; 06/30/22 04:13 PM.
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: furio_from_naples] #1036523
06/30/22 04:18 PM
06/30/22 04:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
If Galante wasn't so greed on the heroin money for sure would convince the Commission (its all about money),he was already the de facto boss and with a little diplomacy should easly be appointed as official boss.

Right! You can never go wrong by following the money. If Galante had shared the heroin money, he'd have gotten more support. He also could have kept his big mouth shut--bragging that "I'll make Gambino s**t in the street" isn't exactly a good way to endear yourself to the Commission's Number One member.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036524
06/30/22 04:42 PM
06/30/22 04:42 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
@ Furio

I think the 6 Gambino murders is a fabrication. I don’t know where that came from in mob lore.

If Galante was killing made guys in other families;

Wouldn’t this have prevented him from making guys in the 1976-1977 period? Other families wouldn’t have tolerated this.

Also I’m surprised Galante didn’t have more support; Wouldn’t you think guys would have loved to have supported Galante and got some of that Heroin money.

Galante had more pedigree then everyone in that family and he still got whacked…

He was prolly only 2nd in pedigree to Joe Bonanno.

Anyone else agree?

Last edited by Zavattoni; 06/30/22 04:45 PM.

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036525
06/30/22 04:52 PM
06/30/22 04:52 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
@ Furio

I think the 6 Gambino murders is a fabrication. I don’t know where that came from in mob lore.

If Galante was killing made guys in other families;

Wouldn’t this have prevented him from making guys in the 1976-1977 period? Other families wouldn’t have tolerated this.

Also I’m surprised Galante didn’t have more support; Wouldn’t you think guys would have loved to have supported Galante and got some of that Heroin money.

Galante had more pedigree then everyone in that family and he still got whacked…

He was prolly only 2nd in pedigree to Joe Bonanno.

Anyone else agree?

I agree with you Zavattoni. 99% of the murders Galante was accused of ordering after his release from jail was total bullshit. The NYPD (and other police agencies) are famous for that sort of rhetoric. It makes it seem as though they know what's going on when in reality they haven't a clue.

I think Galante was just a very heavy handed guy. Many fellas (even bosses were afraid of his mentality and capabilities), and even many of his Bonanno Family opposed his style or were with other crews competing with him. When push came to shove, and it was coming to that, they plotted against him. There's NO WAY IN HELL, Neil Dellacroce and the Gambino's are gonna take out a boss from another Family that way unless there's a consensus among the Commission (or in this particular case) an agreement with elements of his own family who go along with it. Otherwise that's called a "gangland war" to rival the Castellammarese War of 1929-31.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036527
06/30/22 06:15 PM
06/30/22 06:15 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss

Galante was too reminiscent of Joe Bonanno. But on steroids. I think this was a contributing factor. He had too many of the same characteristics but being more deadly. And whether people believe it or, Joe could've easily played a "Michael Corleone" role from Tuscon with Galante being a "Frank Pentangeli" type. That was a no-no.

I do believe that was Bonannos original plan in the late 50s but Galante got pinched

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 06/30/22 06:20 PM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036528
06/30/22 06:43 PM
06/30/22 06:43 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
wasn't part that he not only wanted the top spot in the Bonano's but his next step was to position himself as capo de tutti capi or at least challenge Gambino?

Galante was supposed to be a miserable fuck that everyone feared and nobody liked (except maybe Persico as legend has it he voted to not hurt him)

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036532
06/30/22 10:08 PM
06/30/22 10:08 PM
Cleveland
A
Augustus Offline
Wiseguy
Augustus  Offline
A
Wiseguy
Cleveland
Is it possible to surmise that Galante and Bonnano wanted to run the Bonnanos more like
How it was done in Sicily, or at least go in that direction ?

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: azguy] #1036533
06/30/22 10:11 PM
06/30/22 10:11 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by azguy
wasn't part that he not only wanted the top spot in the Bonano's but his next step was to position himself as capo de tutti capi or at least challenge Gambino?

Galante was supposed to be a miserable fuck that everyone feared and nobody liked (except maybe Persico as legend has it he voted to not hurt him)

Persico definitely did vote not to have Galante murdered but that was only 1 vote…. The other bosses couldn’t stand the old fart… I wonder what Paul Castellano; Tony Ducks and Fat Tony said about him behind closed doors.

It’s also been said that Carmine Galante’s daughter was being set up to marry Carmine Persico”s son (Ally Boy)

Think Persico and Galante served time together in jail or prison
and we’re close.

Last edited by Zavattoni; 06/30/22 10:12 PM.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036549
07/01/22 11:05 AM
07/01/22 11:05 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
It had to involve the Gambino family since their club is where one of the shooters went to report right after the killing. I don't think it was over sharing drugs, but over his power grab he was making in his own family.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036656
07/03/22 09:57 AM
07/03/22 09:57 AM
D
DetroitPartnership Offline
Made Member
DetroitPartnership  Offline
D
Made Member
While not boss officially, I believe we can say he was running the Family and killing whomever he chose and with no repercussions. I've viewed many bios of Galante but really never first-hand accounts of what he was like day-to-day. If I had to choose one LCN figure to write an open bio, it would be Galante.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: DetroitPartnership] #1036658
07/03/22 11:46 AM
07/03/22 11:46 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by DetroitPartnership
While not boss officially, I believe we can say he was running the Family and killing whomever he chose and with no repercussions. I've viewed many bios of Galante but really never first-hand accounts of what he was like day-to-day. If I had to choose one LCN figure to write an open bio, it would be Galante.

Galante and Bonanno are daunting task to write about. Specifically if you're talking about "first-hand accounts" and accuracy. First, we mainly have "second-hand accounts" from guys who learned from older made guys to despise them. Particularly, guys from Brooklyn speak the lowest of them (Colombos, Gambinos, and there own Bonanno guys). It's almost as if someone put out a Commission order to not even like the guys personally lol. So there is always a bias against them but Galante was more heavy handed and he didn't quite have the level of Prestige as Bonanno. Joe gave him that "halo" (of course his own street smarts and toughness got him to that point).
Secondly, it's hard to be as accurate as possible when it comes to them, particularly when it comes to the heroin business and there exact place in that history. There is alot more than meet the eye in terms of business/murder in both of their stories.

What is public knowledge is often misunderstood, underresearched information and there is alot of information that's unavailable or lost to history. Galante was like a Vito Genovese. He had to be eliminated.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1036660
07/03/22 12:48 PM
07/03/22 12:48 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Does anybody know about the relationship between Bonanno, Galante, and John Morales. I heard morales was basically higher ranking, but unofficially.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: BarrettM] #1036820
07/07/22 05:07 PM
07/07/22 05:07 PM
UK
D
dsd Offline
Capo
dsd  Offline
D
Capo
UK
Originally Posted by BarrettM
Does anybody know about the relationship between Bonanno, Galante, and John Morales. I heard morales was basically higher ranking, but unofficially.

Apparently, when the commission said Joe and Bill Bonanno was not to be recognised they also included Morales. Must of been a staunch Joe Bonanno guy.
Think this was said on a wiretap.

Think Galante was inside for all the banana stuff. I also think that the other bosses who wanted him dead were scared of him. He would of wanted their commission seat back and that meant getting cut into schemes like the concrete club. And we know how greedy the mob bosses can be.

Last edited by dsd; 07/07/22 05:18 PM.
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: BarrettM] #1036830
07/07/22 06:39 PM
07/07/22 06:39 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by BarrettM

All very close. Johnny Burns served as "acting boss" for Joe Bonanno for awhile during the early stages of the conflict.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: furio_from_naples] #1036832
07/07/22 06:47 PM
07/07/22 06:47 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Galante wasn't the only one though all those Bonanno's were huge in heroin business.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Hollander] #1036833
07/07/22 06:53 PM
07/07/22 06:53 PM
Giacalone Offline
Underboss
Giacalone  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Hollander

Galante wasn't the only one though all those Bonanno's were huge in heroin business.

Exactly!

Yet, Michael Franzese says the mob wasn't big into drug dealing lol

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1037279
07/16/22 11:54 AM
07/16/22 11:54 AM
G
Goldy Offline
Made Member
Goldy  Offline
G
Made Member
So I'm assuming that Galante made millions of dollars in the drug trade, what happened to all his $$$? He was allegedly trying to get his own daughter involved in his dealings too, correct? I think I remember one of those A&E biography shows claiming that she was not only his driver, but he had suggested she be formally inducted into the Mob, which is ridiculous. Wasn't she romantically involved with Persico's kid too? Like a potential arranged marriage type thing?

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Zavattoni] #1037283
07/16/22 12:46 PM
07/16/22 12:46 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
@Goldy;

I’ve seen and heard that Carmine Galante’s daughter and Little Allie Boy Persico were arranged to be married at some point…

I wish we had more inside knowledge of Carmine Persico and Carmine Galante’s friendship and business dealings….

Persico did vote “NO” for Galante to not be whacked..

So there is history between them two.

Last edited by Zavattoni; 07/16/22 12:46 PM.

Re: Could Carmine Galante have become boss [Re: Giacalone] #1037297
07/16/22 06:46 PM
07/16/22 06:46 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by Giacalone
Originally Posted by Hollander

Exactly!

Yet, Michael Franzese says the mob wasn't big into drug dealing lol

Bonannos, Luccheses, Gambinos in the 70s were big drug dealers don't know about the Colombos.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull