GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,307
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Turnbull] #1032773
04/12/22 08:18 PM
04/12/22 08:18 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Originally Posted by Turnbull
I believe Michael really loved Kay at the beginning--before Vito was shot. You see him actually being playful with Kay in their hotel room in a deleted scene. But, after he killed Sol and Mac, and Sicily, and Apollonia was killed, Michael was a changed man. There's no romance in the scene where he woos Kay in New Hampshire--it was a business negotiation, Kay was another step in his obsessive quest for "legitimacy"--a WASP wife to bear his children and bolster his "legitimate" front. Whatever remaining feelings he had for Kay were subordinate to his selfish personal plans.

I reckon he was surprisingly honest The real shock was Kay marrying him

Surely the family could have found Michael a nice Italian origin bride, suitable Mob Boss wife! to bear his children

WASP wife didn't bolster his "legitimate" front. Geary didn't hold back with his insulting and disparaging slurs of him and his family

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Evita] #1033078
04/19/22 10:48 AM
04/19/22 10:48 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
He was honest She knew the exact situation

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Capri] #1033082
04/19/22 11:36 AM
04/19/22 11:36 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted by Capri
He was honest She knew the exact situation

Was this honest?

Kay, my father's way of doing things is over -- it's finished. Even he knows that. I mean in

five years, the Corleone Family is going to be completely legitimate.

Maybe Kay deluded herself, but it's not like Michael was exactly forthright with her.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: The Last Woltz] #1033210
04/20/22 09:30 PM
04/20/22 09:30 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
I reckon he truly believed in what he was saying that he could settle all Family business by murdering just his enemies then live a “legitimate” life as if his criminal past never existed

Maybe Michael deluded himself too What did Kay think happens during those five years?

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Evita] #1033214
04/20/22 11:35 PM
04/20/22 11:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael told Kay he'd been back from Sicily for a year. That would have given him plenty of time to discuss his, and the Family's, future with his father. I doubt that Vito would have planned to wipe out the heads of the other Families at that point, though Michael may have seen it as inevitable. So, I think he was, at best, deluding himself (as you said) when he told Kay that the Family would be completely legitimate in five years. More likely, he was lying to her to get her to marry him.

There's a big anomaly in that scene:

It's set in 1947: the wood paneled car in the background is a '47 Ford wagon, and the limo that follows them is a '47 Cadillac. Also, Michael says, "My father is sick, very sick," an exaggeration but an indication that he was still recovering from the December '45 shooting. BUT the day when he "settles all family business" is set in 1955--again by the cars shown. That's eight years later--too many years for the Corleones to be pretending that they were "weak" and ready to be knocked over. In reality, the pact that Vito made with the other Dons at the Commission meeting only covered his agreement to protect drug trafficking in the East, and the other Dons' agreement not to interfere with Michael's return to the US. It didn't cover their encroaching on Corleone territories, as Tession bitterly complained in the fish tank scene, No way would Michael and Vito have been around eight years later (in 1955), BTW: The novel gives no date for the day when Michael settled all family business.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Turnbull] #1033218
04/21/22 12:40 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
My take, for what it is worth!
Both Michael and Kay deluded themselves

“when he told Kay that the Family would be completely legitimate in five years” as Evita posted “he truly believed” that would be so

Why would Michael need to lie to Kay to get her to marry him?
Michael had no qualms marrying Apollonia and surely could have married a nice Italian origin bride, suitable Mob Boss wife! instead of seeking Kay out

Coppola and Puzo messing with us! these anomaly things....

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Evita] #1033219
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Evita
I reckon he truly believed in what he was saying that he could settle all Family business by murdering just his enemies then live a “legitimate” life as if his criminal past never existed

Maybe Michael deluded himself too What did Kay think happens during those five years?
Kay was going to live her rich and privileged life funded by tainted money from other people's murder, misery and blood during those five years whilst her husband was laundering his unholy and evil, blood money clean

Michael's get out of jail free card! “Trust me That's all I can tell you about my business”

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Turnbull] #1033220
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
I believe Michael really loved Kay at the beginning--before Vito was shot. You see him actually being playful with Kay in their hotel room in a deleted scene. But, after he killed Sol and Mac, and Sicily, and Apollonia was killed, Michael was a changed man. There's no romance in the scene where he woos Kay in New Hampshire--it was a business negotiation, Kay was another step in his obsessive quest for "legitimacy"--a WASP wife to bear his children and bolster his "legitimate" front. Whatever remaining feelings he had for Kay were subordinate to his selfish personal plans.
Sure thing Turnbull we could see the changes occurring in Michael among others, from the moment Michael reading about Vito's murder attempt in the Newspaper, his dinner with Kay in the hotel just before Michael visited Vito at the hospital and the subsequent sequence of events

Michael seemed to sense he cannot continue to distance himself “That's my family, It's not me” and needed to step up

It seems the WASP is our doing! As far as I can recall there was no such mention in the movie?
Besides WASP Kay was already Michael's girlfriend, long before Michael having to become the Don and the quest for "legitimacy"

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Evita] #1033233
04/21/22 10:58 AM
04/21/22 10:58 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
BTW: The novel gives no date for the day when Michael settled all family business.

Maybe I'm missing some meaning: it was "nearly ten years" from Connie's wedding party to Vito's wake, and the assassinations just a few days later.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Turnbull] #1033266
04/21/22 08:51 PM
04/21/22 08:51 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Michael told Kay he'd been back from Sicily for a year. That would have given him plenty of time to discuss his, and the Family's, future with his father. I doubt that Vito would have planned to wipe out the heads of the other Families at that point, though Michael may have seen it as inevitable. So, I think he was, at best, deluding himself (as you said) when he told Kay that the Family would be completely legitimate in five years. More likely, he was lying to her to get her to marry him.

There's a big anomaly in that scene:

It's set in 1947: the wood paneled car in the background is a '47 Ford wagon, and the limo that follows them is a '47 Cadillac. Also, Michael says, "My father is sick, very sick," an exaggeration but an indication that he was still recovering from the December '45 shooting. BUT the day when he "settles all family business" is set in 1955--again by the cars shown. That's eight years later--too many years for the Corleones to be pretending that they were "weak" and ready to be knocked over. In reality, the pact that Vito made with the other Dons at the Commission meeting only covered his agreement to protect drug trafficking in the East, and the other Dons' agreement not to interfere with Michael's return to the US. It didn't cover their encroaching on Corleone territories, as Tession bitterly complained in the fish tank scene, No way would Michael and Vito have been around eight years later (in 1955), BTW: The novel gives no date for the day when Michael settled all family business.

Let's tackle the timeline once more, For Ol' Times' sake!

1. Connie's wedding and Vito's shooting in '45
2. Michael flees to Sicily in '46

If we timeline Michael wooing Kay in New Hampshire as '47 it leaves no time for Sicily during which there were Gangland war, Apollonia, Sonny is killed, getting Michael back and more

If he "settles all family business" in 1955 working back and rounding off to 'six' years, Michael's return to the US is perhaps '49 still --too many years for the Corleones to be pretending that they were "weak" and ready to be knocked over. let alone eight

1. Michael's been back longer than a year
2. New Hampshire 1951?
3. Anthony born 1952?
4. He was 3 years old in the Garden scene presumably 1955 Vito's death and the assassinations

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Lana] #1033267
04/21/22 08:55 PM
04/21/22 08:55 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
(as you said)

I too reckon WASP is our doing!
Besides WASP Kay was already Michael's girlfriend, long before Michael having to become the Don and the quest for "legitimacy"

Maybe both deluded themselves but he didn't lie to Kay to get her to marry him There was no need
As Michael had no qualms marrying Apollonia, there was nothing stopping him from marrying a nice Italian origin bride, suitable Mob Boss wife! instead of seeking Kay out

Kay too had no qualms and was going to live her rich and privileged life as Mob Boss' wife for those five years

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Lana] #1033336
04/23/22 03:00 AM
04/23/22 03:00 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Originally Posted by Lana
Michael's get out of jail free card! “Trust me That's all I can tell you about my business”

He started I'm working for my father now and finish my business”

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Evita] #1033337
04/23/22 03:03 AM
04/23/22 03:03 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo

If we timeline Michael wooing Kay in New Hampshire as '47 it leaves no time for Sicily during which there were Gangland war, Apollonia, Sonny is killed, getting Michael back and more

If he "settles all family business" in 1955 working back and rounding off to 'six' years, Michael's return to the US is perhaps '49 still --too many years for the Corleones to be pretending that they were "weak" and ready to be knocked over. let alone eight

2. New Hampshire 1951?
3. Anthony born 1952?
4. He was 3 years old in the Garden scene presumably 1955 Vito's death and the assassinations

'six' years plus three previous '46 '47 '48 Nine altogether
encroaching on Corleone territories but no attempts after Sonny is killed, to knock them over

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Capri] #1033386
04/23/22 04:23 PM
04/23/22 04:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
[/i]
Originally Posted by Capri

2. New Hampshire 1951?
3. Anthony born 1952?

'six' years plus three previous '46 '47 '48 Nine altogether
encroaching on Corleone territories but no attempts after Sonny is killed, to knock them over

Here is a timeline I put together for Michael's sojourn in Sicily [i]based on the novel.
Trying to put together a coherent timeline for anything in the movies is impossible.
http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=580389&Searchpage=1&Main=20650&Words=%2BMichael+%2Bin+%2BSicily&Search=true#Post580389

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Turnbull] #1033431
04/23/22 09:40 PM
04/23/22 09:40 PM
E
Evita Offline OP
Underboss
Evita  Offline OP
E
Underboss
Going by Michael's own words “I've been back a year. Longer than that, I think.” pregnancy and Anthony being three years old, point to, around six odd years wait for the assassinations

There was no price on his head until Michael's own There are people who'd pay a lot of money for who he was, information
Thunderbolt clouded his reason and affected his judgment!

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Turnbull] #1033516
04/25/22 12:38 AM
04/25/22 12:38 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Here is a timeline I put together for Michael's sojourn in Sicily based on the novel. Trying to put together a coherent timeline for anything in the movies is impossible No kidding!
Michael in Sicily: how long?
Such an extensive, well researched, informative thread indeed Turnbull you'd outdone yourself!

It seems the only dates clear and consistent as could be, are -
  • the Killing of Sollozzo and McCluskey and Michael fleeing to Sicily was in January 1946
  • Anthony was born in 1952
  • Baptism murders were in 1955
  • Anthony's communion party was in 1958 which makes Michael wooing Kay in New Hampshire 1951 due to Kay telling Michael:
It made me think of what you once told me - "in five years the Corleone Family will be completely legitimate"
That was seven years ago

So Michael's Sicilian exile was around three years? and Michael returned to America in 1949?
Going by Michael's own words “I've been back a year. Longer than that, I think.” Then again, what is longer than a year....?!

It seems with Sonny's killing, things loosened up and the Corleones were successful “pretending that they were "weak" and ready to be knocked over” - by doing nothing when Barzini's people tested the Corleones by chiselling Tessio's territory - until the Baptism murders!
ie: 1946 to 1955 nine years!!

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Lana] #1033525
04/25/22 01:52 AM
04/25/22 01:52 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I emphasized (by italics) that my timeline was based on the novel, not the movies. GFII makes it impossible to construct even a tentative timeline for Michael's Sicilian sojourn because nothing in II (except for some of Vito's young years) is in the novel.

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Lana] #1033528
04/25/22 03:16 AM
04/25/22 03:16 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Is Sicilian exile three years too long

Re: If Michael and Kay already married [Re: Turnbull] #1033685
04/27/22 12:07 AM
04/27/22 12:07 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Lana
Here is a timeline I put together for Michael's sojourn in Sicily *based on the novel. Trying to put together a coherent timeline for anything in the movies is impossible No kidding!
Michael in Sicily: how long?
*Such an extensive, well researched, informative thread indeed Turnbull you'd outdone yourself!

It seems the only dates clear and consistent as could be, are -
  • the Killing of Sollozzo and McCluskey and Michael fleeing to Sicily was in January 1946
  • Anthony was born in 1952
  • Baptism murders were in 1955
  • Anthony's communion party was in 1958 which makes Michael wooing Kay in New Hampshire 1951 due to Kay telling Michael:
It made me think of what you once told me - "in five years the Corleone Family will be completely legitimate"
That was seven years ago

So Michael's Sicilian exile was around three years? and Michael returned to America in 1949?
Going by Michael's own words “I've been back a year. Longer than that, I think.” Then again, what is longer than a year....?!

It seems with Sonny's killing, things loosened up and the Corleones were successful “pretending that they were "weak" and ready to be knocked over” - by doing nothing when Barzini's people tested the Corleones by chiselling Tessio's territory - until the Baptism murders! ie: 1946 to 1955 nine years!!
I emphasized (by italics) that my timeline was *based on the novel, not the movies. GFII makes it impossible to construct even a tentative timeline for Michael's Sicilian sojourn because nothing in II (except for some of Vito's young years) is in the novel.

Maybe I am misunderstanding? For clarity please I understood yours is *based on the novel Mine the movies Tongue-in-cheek!
eg: among others my No kidding! - that's [coherent timeline in the movies] an impossibility....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull