GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 291 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,971
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,351
Posts1,059,071
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The most powerful mafia faction in America? #1029594
02/07/22 06:37 AM
02/07/22 06:37 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

My chat with "Don Peppino" on the forum has led me to question what Italian organized crime group formed the most powerful faction and mob contingent in America?

Since they first arrived in the U.S. back in the early 1900s, what segment of the Italian underworld made up the most powerful faction? Was it the Napolitani, the Calabrese, or the Sicilians? And of the Sicilians per se, what section of Sicily produced the largest (and for that matter, the strongest) clan?

Was it those from Castellammare del Golfo, or from Agrigento, or Palermo, Corleone, etc?

I am curious for the answer and seek your input. I think it is an interesting question.

Last edited by NYMafia; 02/07/22 06:38 AM.
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029595
02/07/22 07:44 AM
02/07/22 07:44 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
The Matrangs in New Orleans. They starting from the last 1870s controlled brothels,waterfront activities and extort all the independent criminals includent the Provenzanos with their fruit distribution.They also alleged killed the police chief Hennessey in 1891.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029601
02/07/22 10:04 AM
02/07/22 10:04 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Furio, I'm about about overall power of a particular ethnicity of Italian; Naples, Calabria, Sicily (and what town or city specifically).

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029605
02/07/22 10:23 AM
02/07/22 10:23 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Furio, I'm about about overall power of a particular ethnicity of Italian; Naples, Calabria, Sicily (and what town or city specifically).

The Matranges was from Piana dei Greci and was arberesce aka sicilians of albanians heritage.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029613
02/07/22 01:43 PM
02/07/22 01:43 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
I think the fact that the American organization is the only criminal organization that shares the Cosa Nostra/Mafia name with the Sicilian one says it all. The Sicilians definitely formed the most powerful faction and the Neapolitans, Calabrese, Apulians and others had to follow suit. Another giveaway is that American families like Gambino and Bonanno have had their specific "zip" factions throughout the years, which indicated strong Sicilian ties. Such thing has not really been the case with the Neapolitans or Calabrese. It seems that in the Italian-American underworld Sicilians retained more of their specific cultural traits which set themselves apart as "Sicilian" while Italian immigrants from Campania, Calabria, Apulia, etc...tended to get Americanized quicker as "Italian American".

The Palermo and Trapani groups seem to have had the most pull in the American crime families. Those from Agrigento have more pull in Canada.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #1029619
02/07/22 03:07 PM
02/07/22 03:07 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
I think the fact that the American organization is the only criminal organization that shares the Cosa Nostra/Mafia name with the Sicilian one says it all. The Sicilians definitely formed the most powerful faction and the Neapolitans, Calabrese, Apulians and others had to follow suit. Another giveaway is that American families like Gambino and Bonanno have had their specific "zip" factions throughout the years, which indicated strong Sicilian ties. Such thing has not really been the case with the Neapolitans or Calabrese. It seems that in the Italian-American underworld Sicilians retained more of their specific cultural traits which set themselves apart as "Sicilian" while Italian immigrants from Campania, Calabria, Apulia, etc...tended to get Americanized quicker as "Italian American".

The Palermo and Trapani groups seem to have had the most pull in the American crime families. Those from Agrigento have more pull in Canada.

100% right TKJ. 100% right. I agree

But of those "Sicilian" factions, which particular grouping would you estimate had the most pull (I know its a tough question to ask) Lol

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029620
02/07/22 03:09 PM
02/07/22 03:09 PM
M
Mamaluke Offline
Made Member
Mamaluke  Offline
M
Made Member
The Sicilians for sure. I always assumed it was the Castellammare del Golfo faction that had the most impact. They fought a whole mob war here over it.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: Mamaluke] #1029621
02/07/22 03:12 PM
02/07/22 03:12 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Mamaluke
The Sicilians for sure. I always assumed it was the Castellammare del Golfo faction that had the most impact. They fought a whole mob war here over it.

I tend to lean that way as well. Although the Palermitani faction was very significant as well. It largely depended upon what particular borgata we're speaking of. From family to family different regions of Sicily were more or less prominent accordingly.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029623
02/07/22 04:53 PM
02/07/22 04:53 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

CDG and the Corleonesi.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029624
02/07/22 05:54 PM
02/07/22 05:54 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke

100% right TKJ. 100% right. I agree

But of those "Sicilian" factions, which particular grouping would you estimate had the most pull (I know its a tough question to ask) Lol

Palermo factions were a Gambino thing, while CDG factions were a Bonanno thing. I think it depends on the era. Galante was extremely close to CDG zips and this made the family very feared, but gradually the Bonanno's lost a lot of their power and the CDG ties didn't remain all that strong for the family as a whole. The Gambino ties to Palermo on the other hand remained strong and by the looks of it these ties are still intact to this day.

Lucchese and Colombo families have Sicilian roots - which indicates that even in those families the Sicilians once had the upper hand and others had to follow suit - but got "Americanized" much quicker.

Genovese on the other hand was always very much so an American family. Italians with origins in Campania and Calabria rose to high power functions a lot quicker in that family and - almost in an Outfit kind of way - they always had very close ties to their non-Italian hoodlum associates early on. Even when it comes to recent Genovese busts you can always find a few Jewish, Irish or Cuban names in the indictment.

Last edited by TheKillingJoke; 02/07/22 05:54 PM.
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029625
02/07/22 06:03 PM
02/07/22 06:03 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Very perceptive TKJ, and a great explanation of the NYC crews, then, and now. I agree with you.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: Mamaluke] #1029634
02/07/22 10:32 PM
02/07/22 10:32 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss

They lost though, which was probably why Bonanno's old Maranzano family was never really in the same league as the Luciano/Genovese, Luccheses and Gambinos in their prime.

Palermo seems to have the most influence in the U.S. among Sicilian clans here, through the Gambino family.

I would say the Americanized faction of the mob is still in charge however I'm interested in the Bellomo connections to Corleone.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: OakAsFan] #1029656
02/08/22 06:11 PM
02/08/22 06:11 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by OakAsFan

They lost though, which was probably why Bonanno's old Maranzano family was never really in the same league as the Luciano/Genovese, Luccheses and Gambinos in their prime.

Palermo seems to have the most influence in the U.S. among Sicilian clans here, through the Gambino family.

I would say the Americanized faction of the mob is still in charge however I'm interested in the Bellomo connections to Corleone.

The Castellammarese did not lose that war. With the help of Lucky, Vito, and a few others, they won it hands down with the assassination of Joe Masseria. The fact that Sal Maranzano was later killed doesn't change that fact.

But I do wholeheartedly agree with you that each particular borgata was top heavy with influence from a certain region of Sicily; Palermo for the Mangano/Scalice/Gambino's; Corleone for the Gagliano/Lucchese; Villabate/Palermo for the Profaci/Colombos; Castellammare del Golfo/Trapani province for the Bonanno's; A mixed bag of Sicilians/Calabrese/Napolitani for the Luciano/Genovese; and Ribera for the DeCavalcantes.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029815
02/11/22 09:46 PM
02/11/22 09:46 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
The Castellammarese did not lose that war. With the help of Lucky, Vito, and a few others, they won it hands down with the assassination of Joe Masseria. The fact that Sal Maranzano was later killed doesn't change that fact.

The best indicator of who won a war is who's in charge. Lucky and the Americanized faction were firmly in charge after they killed Maranzano, a killing they faced no meaningful consequence for. Bonanno and Maggadino were the only Castellamare guys with any real power after Maranazno's death and Maggagino submitted himself to the Americanized faction, much to the chagrin of Bonnano who was the last holdout of the Castellamarese and his passive-aggressive actions eventually got him shelved. Since then The Palermo and Corleone mobsters, who submitted themselves to Luciano's Americanized faction right away, became the more dominant faction of Sicilian clans in the states and this seems to have not changed to this day.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029818
02/11/22 10:12 PM
02/11/22 10:12 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Bonanno was in league with Luciano and the others. Maranzano was killed and Bonanno stepped in as boss asap. That should tell you something. The Castellammarese faction (known as the Maranzano and later Bonanno family) thrived until the mid-1960s, some thirty five years after Maranzano was killed.

They didn't lose the war. They won the war! But intrigue and greed for power some led to Maranzano's killing. Nonetheless, the "Castellammarese faction" survived and thrived afterwards.

Joe Masseria lost!...But ALL FIVE crews did fine after that for decades to come.

And the Luciano/Genovese family is NOT Palermitano. They are a mix of varied Sicilians, Calabrians, and Napolitani. Then, as now.

The old D'Aquilla and Mangano family, later known as the Anastasia, then Gambino family, were always primarily based from Palermo and Agrigento.

Gagliano/Lucchese were based primarily from Corleone and Palermo. Profaci was Villabate and Palermo. Bonanno primarily Castellammare del Golfo and Trapani Province, but they too had other Sicilian towns with them. Delmore/DeCavalcante primarily from Riberaand Agrigento.

Last edited by NYMafia; 02/11/22 10:28 PM.
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029819
02/11/22 10:45 PM
02/11/22 10:45 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
We just have a different idea of what it means to win a war. Anyhow, interesting points. Thanks for the discussion.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: OakAsFan] #1029820
02/11/22 10:55 PM
02/11/22 10:55 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

We just have a different idea of what it means to win a war. Anyhow, interesting points. Thanks for the discussion.

Thank you. It's always enjoyable to interact with you. You're a gentleman

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: OakAsFan] #1029821
02/11/22 11:00 PM
02/11/22 11:00 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss

Luciano had power full allies and throughout the 1920s he made connections throughout the country. But ultimately and although he was a Sicilian, essentially, Luciano came up from the streets of New York. Just like Frank Costello, Vito Genovese, Al Capone, Albert Anastasia, and many others. But the Mafia comes from Sicily. The Sicilian had presence before and Long after Luciano.

Luciano was off the street by 1936 while Bonanno went another 20 years. The Castellamarese were strong until around 1958. One of the pilliars of american Cosa Nostra is the idea of negotiation or " The Sitdown". Ultimately, in 1931, all the Underworld powers aligned to make money. They all won. That's Cosa Nostra

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 02/11/22 11:00 PM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029830
02/12/22 05:15 AM
02/12/22 05:15 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino

Luciano had power full allies and throughout the 1920s he made connections throughout the country. But ultimately and although he was a Sicilian, essentially, Luciano came up from the streets of New York. Just like Frank Costello, Vito Genovese, Al Capone, Albert Anastasia, and many others. But the Mafia comes from Sicily. The Sicilian had presence before and Long after Luciano.

Luciano was off the street by 1936 while Bonanno went another 20 years. The Castellamarese were strong until around 1958. One of the pilliars of american Cosa Nostra is the idea of negotiation or " The Sitdown". Ultimately, in 1931, all the Underworld powers aligned to make money. They all won. That's Cosa Nostra

Very True. Lucky was the man. But he was essentially off the scene by the mid-1930s for a decade. And thereafter was deported back to Italy.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029845
02/12/22 09:26 AM
02/12/22 09:26 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss

I will say that, The Mangano Brothers are a interesting case. With Anastasia, Scalise, Traina, and other heavyweights in the Family, I always wonder how they got figured in so well. I understand the connection with the docks but it would seem that some of them were more connected in Palermo then Mangano was. I could be wrong though

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029846
02/12/22 09:40 AM
02/12/22 09:40 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I will say that, The Mangano Brothers are a interesting case. With Anastasia, Scalise, Traina, and other heavyweights in the Family, I always wonder how they got figured in so well. I understand the connection with the docks but it would seem that some of them were more connected in Palermo then Mangano was. I could be wrong though

You're not wrong. There was a very strong connection back to Sicily, the City of Palermo in particular and all the little towns surrounding the city. It carried this borgata for well over a century.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029855
02/12/22 02:57 PM
02/12/22 02:57 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss

Again, it's just our differing ideas of what it means to win a war. Bonanno was around, but who was he? All roads went through Costello/Anastasia, then later Gambino/Lucchese/Westside panel. Who went to Bonanno for anything other than underlings in his own family? Heck, his own faction, considering a mutiny was talking hold in his family? The real power has been with the Americanized faction since Lucky, with Palermo and Corleone having the most pull within this Americanized faction, by way of respecting and acknowledging its dominance in the states. The Castellammarese power-wise were for all intents and purposes done when Maranzano went down.

Edit: I should also add, I like Joe Bonanno, probably more than any other mobster. I enjoyed his book despite some of the embellishments and cover ups, but the way he talked shit about the greed of the Americanized mobsters was spot-on. He was right about a lot of things. I should say, for better or worse, the Americanized faction won.

Last edited by OakAsFan; 02/12/22 03:02 PM.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029859
02/12/22 03:24 PM
02/12/22 03:24 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Thats not true about Bonanno that you say "who was he." Besides being a boss, he was "The" boss of one of the largest families in America. He also represented more than a few smaller families throughout the U.S. before the Commission for years. Not to mention he was a major power in Canada, and the Trapani Province of Sicily as well. He was a HIGHLY revered mafioso to say the least!

If anything, the Castellammarese family, and by proxy Joe Bonanno, probably had more power "pound for pound" than the vast majority of top bosses and families out there. (for over 35 years I might add)!

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029861
02/12/22 03:32 PM
02/12/22 03:32 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Thats not true about Bonanno that you say "who was he." Besides being a boss, he was "The" boss of one of the largest families in America. He also represented more than a few smaller families throughout the U.S. before the Commission for years.

I think we're in a quantity vs. quality debate here.

What power did he have over the major unions and high end rackets? Did anyone have to go through Bonanno to build, the way Mr. Donald *allegedly* went through Fat Tony and Big Paul to build in Manhattan in the 80s? I know this was past Bonanno's time but in his time, was he ever a power broker on this level? Costello and Anastasia certainly were. Gambino and Lucchese certainly were. I'm sure Bonanno made a lot of money on vice rackets but these weren't the more lucrative rackets during this golden era for the American mob.

Not to mention he was a major power in Canada, and the Trapani Province of Sicily as well. He was a HIGHLY revered mafioso to say the least!

Can't argue with this. I haven't read much about Canada other than that Bonanno was a major player there and the mob in Canada is still highly active.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029862
02/12/22 03:53 PM
02/12/22 03:53 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Joe Bonanno, and by proxy, the Bonanno family controlled a bunch of labor unions; more than a few Teamsters Locals, a Garment Union Local, and Barber & Beauty Culturist Union, etc. I'm sure there were others too. Granted the Bonanno clan never had much sway in labor unions as some of the other borgatas did, but thats ok. "Accommodations" are always made from one crew to another as desired or asked, especially back then.

But they were a power, maybe the top power, in the importation and wholesale distribution of heroin from France and Italy to North America (down through Canada) for many, many decades. A "multi-billion" dollar racket. That alone breaded his butter, and that of his top men!

They were also pervasive in Lower Manhattan, many parts of Brooklyn and Queens, Long Island, northern New Jersey, Florida, Upstate NY, Canada, in the Midwest, and out on the west coast. Not to mention back in Western Sicily, France, and South America.

Were they as "sophisticated" as some of the other NY families (Genovese, Gambino, Lucchese)? Definitely not IMO. But don't forget that they owned and controlled Grande Cheese Corp., the largest and most respected producer of mozzarella and ricotta cheese in the United States (to this very day). The Canadian based Saputo Ltd., another highly respected major cheese manufacturer was thought to be partly owned by Bonanno also.

And they're borgata were very feared and respected nonetheless as well.

And by virtue of his seat on the Commission, he was both "technically" and "officially" as powerful as any other boss. Each member only has 1 vote. (add in his compare Joe Profaci, Joe Zerilli, and Bonanno's cousin Steve Magaddino) and in many ways Bonanno was more powerful than other Commission members.

Last edited by NYMafia; 02/12/22 04:56 PM.
Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: OakAsFan] #1029869
02/12/22 07:34 PM
02/12/22 07:34 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Thats not true about Bonanno that you say "who was he." Besides being a boss, he was "The" boss of one of the largest families in America. He also represented more than a few smaller families throughout the U.S. before the Commission for years.

What power did he have over the major unions and high end rackets? Did anyone have to go through Bonanno to build, the way Mr. Donald *allegedly* went through Fat Tony and Big Paul to build in Manhattan in the 80s? I know this was past Bonanno's time but in his time, was he ever a power broker on this level? Costello and Anastasia certainly were. Gambino and Lucchese certainly were. I'm sure Bonanno made a lot of money on vice rackets but these weren't the more lucrative rackets during this golden era for the American mob.

Not to mention he was a major power in Canada, and the Trapani Province of Sicily as well. He was a HIGHLY revered mafioso to say the least!

Can't argue with this. I haven't read much about Canada other than that Bonanno was a major player there and the mob in Canada is still highly active.

It's not a quality vs quantity debate. Its what's publicly known vs. What's not publicly known. The story of the entire Mafia has been shown through the eyes primarily through Lucky Luciano, Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Vito Genovese and Frank Costello. That's only one group within the entire web of La Cosa Nostra. They don't even focus on the many powerhouses within that Family, just the Big Names. LCN was much more than just those guys. And the fact is, just focusing on those people with greatly understate the might of the mafia as a whole during that time. Luciano was the most documented and publicly known during that time.

Furthermore, I would argue that the "americanized" style has largely broken down the mob from then until today. Luciano, Capone, Genovese, Anastasia, The Gallos, and down the line to The Gottis, Nicky Scarfos, Gaspipe Cassos, Roy Demeos and all the guys who came up under this style have harmed more then helped.

But if you want to be right, the Americanized side won. That's why when Luciano was in Sicily, he called on Frank Costello and Albert Anastasia to help set up the French Connection..... oh wait, he called on Joe Bonanno for that.

I keep trying to emphasize, they all won at the end of the day.

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 02/12/22 07:46 PM.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029893
02/13/22 09:48 AM
02/13/22 09:48 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

It's not a quality vs quantity debate. Its what's publicly known vs. What's not publicly known. The story of the entire Mafia has been shown through the eyes primarily through Lucky Luciano, Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Vito Genovese and Frank Costello. That's only one group within the entire web of La Cosa Nostra. They don't even focus on the many powerhouses within that Family, just the Big Names. LCN was much more than just those guys. And the fact is, just focusing on those people with greatly understate the might of the mafia as a whole during that time. Luciano was the most documented and publicly known during that time.

Furthermore, I would argue that the "americanized" style has largely broken down the mob from then until today. Luciano, Capone, Genovese, Anastasia, The Gallos, and down the line to The Gottis, Nicky Scarfos, Gaspipe Cassos, Roy Demeos and all the guys who came up under this style have harmed more then helped.

But if you want to be right, the Americanized side won. That's why when Luciano was in Sicily, he called on Frank Costello and Albert Anastasia to help set up the French Connection..... oh wait, he called on Joe Bonanno for that.

I keep trying to emphasize, they all won at the end of the day.

-
I'd have to totally agree with you on all the points you made Don Pep. In his day, Joe Bonanno was a powerhouse as strong as any given boss in the USA. (and Sicily for that matter).

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: NYMafia] #1029915
02/13/22 02:58 PM
02/13/22 02:58 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
When Anastasia was killed, and Costello was shot, it changed the mob drastically. A reshuffling at the highest levels. When Bonanno was forced to retire, what changed? What kind of power restructure went along with it that affected the more lucrative rackets? It was of little consequence. Joe Bananas, we hardly knew ya....

Again, great book however and I agree with a lot of Bonanno's philosophy. He and the Sicilian loyalists had somewhat of a justified approach to the mafia's role in the U.S. that stems from the mafia's Sicilian history, something that Costellos, Anastasias and later Gottis don't have.

Re: The most powerful mafia faction in America? [Re: OakAsFan] #1029955
02/14/22 11:15 AM
02/14/22 11:15 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss

You're Anastasia and Costello point is mute. 1957 is what I consider the beginning of the second generation of LCN. It was a changing of the guard, period! Each Family would be drastically different within the next 10 years.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull