GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ciment), 296 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,817
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,400
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,425
Posts1,060,726
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. #1025583
12/14/21 11:30 AM
12/14/21 11:30 AM
212-n-305
CNote Offline OP
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline OP
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
Opened in 1957, the House of "D" was the first stop for petty criminals working their way up the food chain. While I was unable to find any lists of notable inmates, undoubtedly anyone who got busted in Brooklyn for anything but a Federal crime spent the night here like I did on October 1, 2002.
"The NYC Department of Design and Construction has selected four teams of designers and builders to receive design-build contracts to prepare the sites where new borough-based jail facilities will be constructed, including at the Brooklyn Detention Complex site at 275 Atlantic Ave. in Boerum Hill.

In Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan, the design-build teams will dismantle existing facilities on the sites and construct temporary “swing spaces” to facilitate NYC Department of Correction’s transfers for court appearances during construction.

The firm selected for the Brooklyn “dismantle/swing space” is NorthStar Contracting Group, which has received a $59.7 million contract. NorthStar, a worldwide company whose New York offices are in Lower Manhattan, specializes in demolishing private and government facilities (such as the Brooklyn jail), lead and asbestos abatement, remediating environmental problems, disaster recovery and cleanup services, and decommissioning nuclear plants."
https://brooklyneagle.com/articles/...emolition-of-brooklyn-detention-complex/

Attached Files brooklyn-house-of-detention-by-paul-frangipane-3-1024x683.jpg
Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: CNote] #1025585
12/14/21 12:18 PM
12/14/21 12:18 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
They are trying to push a policy of letting almost anyone out with no bail in NYC, if they do not build a replacement facility that means more crime on the streets. I bet that a big money development will go up, with politicians and their friends making millions.
Then they will build multiple satellite facilities, with more money being made by developers and the political friends. A facility built in 1957 is practically brand new by prison standards. They also are closing Rikers Island in Queens. Eventually there will be a backlash, and the same politicians and political advocates who made money tearing this down then building condos, will make more money by putting up new ones to replace them. Jobs will be handed out to friends and supporters, It's nothing new, just done without any shame now.

How bad was it when you were there in 2002?

Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: CNote] #1025595
12/14/21 02:14 PM
12/14/21 02:14 PM
212-n-305
CNote Offline OP
Brooklyn Bum
CNote  Offline OP
Brooklyn Bum
Underboss
212-n-305
As much as I disagree with that policy, it was voted on and passed by the NYS Legislature and signed into law by politicians duly elected by the people of NYS so it is what it is. I think DeBlasio was unprepared for the Executive position of the largest city in the U.S. I was involved with an affordable housing group and demonstrated on the steps of City Hall and can tell you that serving on the City Council does not prepare one for the position of Chief Executive for a multi billion dollar Corporation like the City of New York. I left after he was elected partly due to work and partly due to him being elected, I was having flashbacks of NYC under Abe Beame.
Needless to say, getting locked up sucks big time. I got caught blocking the box at the infamous intersection of Atlantic Ave, Fourth Ave and Flatbush Ave heading east. The traffic cop told me to go left, I said but I'm going right and he said pull over I'm giving you a ticket. I pulled over, he ran my license and it came back suspended in NYS.. GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT 200 DOLLARS. They put the bracelets on and took me to the 75 precinct, the same one Michael Dowd worked out of back in the day. They processed me there and took me to the House of D but left some of my paperwork at the precinct, which extended the time to process me through the system and ended up keeping me there for 26 shitty hours. I was in a holding cell with 18" wide steel benches that you could barely lie on after the cell cleared out as they processed people out. The whole time I was in there I was wondering if maybe Crazy Joe had been locked up there back in 1960 when he tried to extort that bar owner or if Jay- Z spent time after getting popped hustling weed at Marcy projects. I used to pass by that place when I came to Brooklyn to visit my Mom's family in Carroll Gardens when I was a kid, never dreaming that I would be a resident one day when I was grown up.

Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: CNote] #1025603
12/14/21 04:57 PM
12/14/21 04:57 PM
L
Lenox Offline
Underboss
Lenox  Offline
L
Underboss
Dont blame the politicians, blame the idiots that voted them in. NYC voters are more responsible for the demise of NY than the politiciams.

Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: CNote] #1025613
12/14/21 10:18 PM
12/14/21 10:18 PM
A
alicecooper Offline
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline
A
Underboss
Did that place have an old time mental asylum in it? Sylvester Stallone has an interview where he talks about working his way up through the juvenile center ranks until they threw him into a facility that had a mental asylum in it.

It's a youtuve interview by his daughters. They're every bit as good as Howard Stern. Meaning they never shut up.

Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: Lenox] #1025614
12/14/21 10:26 PM
12/14/21 10:26 PM
A
alicecooper Offline
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline
A
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lenox
Dont blame the politicians, blame the idiots that voted them in. NYC voters are more responsible for the demise of NY than the politiciams.

NYC, Minneapolis, Chicago, California and on and on.

I live out west. We have economic refugees flooding in from California. The things and politicians they happily voted for guaranteed they would not be able to afford to stay. I'm talking about restaurant workers, call centers, other low wage jobs.

Now they are here and raging to do literally the exact same thing that drove them out all over again. And they left because of money. Crime and other policy decisions didn't even factor in. The ones I've met have no regrets and want to do it all again.

Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: Lenox] #1025616
12/15/21 12:53 AM
12/15/21 12:53 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Touche!

Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: CNote] #1025617
12/15/21 01:16 AM
12/15/21 01:16 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by CNote
As much as I disagree with that policy, it was voted on and passed by the NYS Legislature and signed into law by politicians duly elected by the people of NYS so it is what it is. I think DeBlasio was unprepared for the Executive position of the largest city in the U.S. I was involved with an affordable housing group and demonstrated on the steps of City Hall and can tell you that serving on the City Council does not prepare one for the position of Chief Executive for a multi billion dollar Corporation like the City of New York. I left after he was elected partly due to work and partly due to him being elected, I was having flashbacks of NYC under Abe Beame.
Needless to say, getting locked up sucks big time. I got caught blocking the box at the infamous intersection of Atlantic Ave, Fourth Ave and Flatbush Ave heading east. The traffic cop told me to go left, I said but I'm going right and he said pull over I'm giving you a ticket. I pulled over, he ran my license and it came back suspended in NYS.. GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT 200 DOLLARS. They put the bracelets on and took me to the 75 precinct, the same one Michael Dowd worked out of back in the day. They processed me there and took me to the House of D but left some of my paperwork at the precinct, which extended the time to process me through the system and ended up keeping me there for 26 shitty hours. I was in a holding cell with 18" wide steel benches that you could barely lie on after the cell cleared out as they processed people out. The whole time I was in there I was wondering if maybe Crazy Joe had been locked up there back in 1960 when he tried to extort that bar owner or if Jay- Z spent time after getting popped hustling weed at Marcy projects. I used to pass by that place when I came to Brooklyn to visit my Mom's family in Carroll Gardens when I was a kid, never dreaming that I would be a resident one day when I was grown up.

That process of what they call "putting you through the system" instead of giving you a desk appearance ticket is BS. They often do it to people out of spite. Rudy Guilianni got rid of desk appearance tickets from what I understand, switch exceptions. The exceptions are usually relatives of the police or the rich. 26 hours for a suspended license is wrong, but they did it for many petty crimes too. Now they have gone too far the other way, letting anyone out if it's not for murder or a crime close to that.

Re: Brooklyn House of Detention to be demolished. [Re: Lenox] #1025620
12/15/21 02:08 AM
12/15/21 02:08 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Dont blame the politicians, blame the idiots that voted them in. NYC voters are more responsible for the demise of NY than the politiciams

. I agree. As horrendous as our “leaders” have been in NY it is the voters who put these clowns in the position of power in the first place

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull