GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 333 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vincent to the wolves? #1014652
06/27/21 12:36 PM
06/27/21 12:36 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Zasa came to Michael’s party seeking Michael’s permission to whack Vincent. Michael summoned Vincent, and in Zasa’s presence humiliated him, praised Zasa for giving him a job, concluded by telling Zasa “I have no conflicts, no debts” with him--and ordered Vincent to “make your peace with Mr. Joe Zasa.” Seemed like a one-way ticket to the graveyard for Vincent. Vincent’s attack on Zasa’s ear seemed to have saved him in Michael’s estimation.

Do you think Michael intended to throw Vincent to the wolves—and would have if he hadn’t bitten Zasa’s ear? Or, was Michael putting Vincent to some kind of test—and if so, why? Any other thoughts?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vincent to the wolves? [Re: Turnbull] #1014667
06/27/21 06:10 PM
06/27/21 06:10 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Well, it certainly seems that he had cut Vincent off. Without the very abrupt reversal the audience would start waiting out the death of another family member.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Vincent to the wolves? [Re: Turnbull] #1014687
06/27/21 08:03 PM
06/27/21 08:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TB, I think that Michael was growing increasingly frustrated by the dilemma he had created for himself: trying to go straight, but unwilling to let go of the strings. His words to Vincent about having been offered a job before were those of anyone who ends up telling someone "I tried to help" or "I told you so."
At some point, Michael probably sensed a real threat from Zasa: "Well, he knows you’re stopping him from rising up in the commission, Uncle Mike. I say we make him dead. You give me the order, I’ll take care of it." That sensed threat is why at the Don's meeting he sarcastically describes Zasa. When Vincent attacks Zasa in Michael's office, Vincent tells Michael: "All I want to do is protect you from these guys and your lawyers can’t do that.".

Michael's apprehensions about Zasa are real enough that he knows he's vulnerable: "Maybe you should, uhh, come with me for a few weeks. See what happens."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Vincent to the wolves? [Re: Turnbull] #1014790
06/29/21 02:34 AM
06/29/21 02:34 AM
Adelaide, Australia
L
lucab19 Offline
Button
lucab19  Offline
L
Button
Adelaide, Australia
He doesn't seem to be very impressed with Vincent at all to begin with. He chastised him for his clothing at the reception. Connie seems to be the only one in his corner.

Re: Vincent to the wolves? [Re: lucab19] #1015000
07/01/21 03:41 AM
07/01/21 03:41 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Oli, the key word in your insightful post is "frustration." I think Michael was reveling in his Big Day: His Papal Knighthood finally "legitimized" him (as in Abbandando telling the news media, "The Pope has this day blessed Michael Corleone"). And then along comes Zasa, an urgent reminder of Michael's criminal side, asking permission to whack Vincent. And then along comes Vincent, telling Michael he should worry about Zasa because Michael is preventing him from rising in the Commission. So, I think Michael's initial reaction was to try to dismiss both Zasa and Vincent and get back to his "legitimacy," as in, "What does this have to do with me?" And, "So kill him." At that point, I think he would have been happy if they both went away and fought each other.

But, as you say, Vincent rang an alarm bell in Michael's mind. And, since Vincent showed his determination to act by biting Zasa, ear, the Old Manipulator figured that he might as well carry Vincent for awhile--use Vincent as a cat's paw for Zasa's evil intentions.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull