GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,536
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed #1012937
06/01/21 01:39 AM
06/01/21 01:39 AM
D
Don_Alfonso Offline OP
Button
Don_Alfonso  Offline OP
D
Button
Tom generally is, to quote Tony Soprano, like Gary Cooper. The strong silent type. He keeps his feelings on things unspoken, generally.

That said, we see him observe Fredo trying to show Anthony how to fish in a brief moment. He also doesn't seem to speak of Fredo with either warmth or rancor after Cuba - more just giving a matter of fact report that Fredo is in hiding in New York. He doesn't suggest ways to get at him, nor does he try to sue for clemency for him.

But we see that he has a growing disgust for Michael's obsession with vengeance as he lets his feelings slip that Michael doesn't need to kill EVERYONE to make a point - which for Tom is a rare show of emotions. Or when Frankie says to Tom (in private) that the Corleone Family was like the Roman Empire, he replies with both wistfulness and bitterness "It was once."

Tom only seems to not leave Michael's side at the end of II out of fear of reprisal - be it being murdered for being a liability, or for Michael to spitefully ruin his marriage by exposing his affair (Say Tom DID leave - can you really put it past Michael to expose him and ruin him legally and personally?)

That all being said, what do you think Tom felt about Fredo being executed? Tom is no Connie - he is too smart, and not capable of enough self delusion to make himself believe the drowning story. He also knows the depth of Michael's ocean of ice, having experienced it to a degree himself.

So, what do you think were his feelings on it all? Do you think he cared? Or, was it to quote Cromwell upon viewing the corpse of the recently executed King Charles I a "cruel necessity" and nothing more?

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Don_Alfonso] #1012940
06/01/21 02:08 AM
06/01/21 02:08 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Tom knew Michael better than anyone. He had to have known that, once Michael found out about Fredo's betrayal, Fredo was a dead man. I think Tom had a certain empathy for Fredo--fellow "losers" according to how Michael felt about them. But, Tom would never have dared to warn Fredo about his impending doom for fear of his own life. And, I think the consigliere in Tom would have accepted that Fredo had to die because his betrayal--for personal gain--nearly cost Michael and Kay their lives.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Don_Alfonso] #1012952
06/01/21 09:15 AM
06/01/21 09:15 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I think Tom had foreknowledge of Fredo's fate. I think his motivation in going along wasn't so much direct fear of what Michael would do to him. I think it's fear of loss of the connection to Vito, which Tom maintains by serving Michael.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Don_Alfonso] #1013029
06/02/21 03:44 PM
06/02/21 03:44 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
I'm sure that on a personal level,Tom felt bad about Fredo's killing. He also knew that there was no way he could broach the subject with Mike.The smart move was to sit back,offer no opinion either way,and let the chips fall where they may. Mike was never going to seek Tom's advice and despite his other shortcomings (i.e. not Sicilian,not a wartime consigliere) Hagen had a great instinct for self preservation.

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Don_Alfonso] #1016723
07/26/21 12:10 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
It seems to me Michael was no different to Vito in conducting their business

Both Vito and Michael were the same evil, ruthless, murderous Dons
I don't feel I have to wipe everyone out -- just my enemies -- that's all

The ever astute Roth would have always remained a lethal enemy, plotting to kill Michael and that Tom couldn't / didn't see Roth as such - Kill or be killed – reinforces Tom is a good lawyer not a Sicilian no wartime Consiglieri

Michael after establishing himself as the Top Mafia Don and then masquerading as 'legitimate' businessman, Michael was only reactive
ie: “They hit us So we hit them back”

Vito among others -
  • killed Don Fanucci and took over his business [Granted Vito looked after the people as well unlike Fanucci] Moe Greene was made an offer no such offer to Fanucci
  • threat of lethal force - band leader's signature or brains even in such simple business as his Godson Fontane's contract release
  • killing of defenceless Khortum horse
  • went back years later and killed, a senile, one leg in the grave, Don Ciccio who was living out his last days thousands of miles away absolutely no threat to the Corleones - vengeance for killing his family because the enemies have to be wiped out
  • planned all the dirty work - killing of Carlo Rizzi and Moe Greene, the baptism murders - for Michael to carry out after Vito's death thus leaving a murderous legacy for “I never wanted this for you” son Michael

I think it was Turnbull who posted Michael wanted to be the biggest legitimate gambling operator in the Western Hemisphere or similar
So following on, no longer “like the Roman Empire”

I agree Tom can only leave Michael's side....in a box!

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: mustachepete] #1016724
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by mustachepete
I think Tom had foreknowledge of Fredo's fate. I think his motivation in going along wasn't so much direct fear of what Michael would do to him. I think it's fear of loss of the connection to Vito, which Tom maintains by serving Michael.
It looked like Michael had forgiven Fredo, the brothers hugging each other at Mama's funeral after Connie's tearful plea until we saw Michael's chilling kill order look at Neri and Neri's subtle nod

Tom could have thought the same believing Fredo had gotten a pass Tom wouldn't have known with Mama Corleone's death Fredo's time was up

Same with Connie otherwise Connie would not have taken Anthony off the boat and let Fredo go fishing with Neri!

Still Michael could have easily continued the same arrangements of keeping Fredo under watch or similar until Mama Corleone's natural death. He had the money and the resources
Besides if Mama had lived longer....

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Lana] #1016733
07/26/21 05:17 AM
07/26/21 05:17 AM
Adelaide, Australia
L
lucab19 Offline
Button
lucab19  Offline
L
Button
Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted by Lana
It seems to me Michael was no different to Vito in conducting their business

Both Vito and Michael were the same evil, ruthless, murderous Dons
I don't feel I have to wipe everyone out -- just my enemies -- that's all

The ever astute Roth would have always remained a lethal enemy, plotting to kill Michael and that Tom couldn't / didn't see Roth as such - Kill or be killed – reinforces Tom is a good lawyer not a Sicilian no wartime Consiglieri

Michael after establishing himself as the Top Mafia Don and then masquerading as 'legitimate' businessman, Michael was only reactive
ie: “They hit us So we hit them back”

Vito among others -
  • killed Don Fanucci and took over his business [Granted Vito looked after the people as well unlike Fanucci] Moe Greene was made an offer no such offer to Fanucci
  • threat of lethal force - band leader's signature or brains even in such simple business as his Godson Fontane's contract release
  • killing of defenceless Khortum horse
  • went back years later and killed, a senile, one leg in the grave, Don Ciccio who was living out his last days thousands of miles away absolutely no threat to the Corleones - vengeance for killing his family because the enemies have to be wiped out
  • planned all the dirty work - killing of Carlo Rizzi and Moe Greene, the baptism murders - for Michael to carry out after Vito's death thus leaving a murderous legacy for “I never wanted this for you” son Michael

I think it was Turnbull who posted Michael wanted to be the biggest legitimate gambling operator in the Western Hemisphere or similar
So following on, no longer “like the Roman Empire”

I agree Tom can only leave Michael's side....in a box!

If ever a man deserved what happened to him, it was Don Ciccio.

Agree with your other points though.

Also, the deleted scenes show him, on the same trip, searching out - and killing with an oar, no less - one of the men who went around the village and warned the residents not to hide the young Vito.

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Don_Alfonso] #1016805
07/26/21 08:46 PM
07/26/21 08:46 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
planned all the dirty work - killing of Carlo Rizzi and Moe Greene, the baptism murders - for Michael to carry out after Vito's death

I don't think that's correct. I think Vito's death was untimely with respect to the plan. He just had to be retired, so he didn't make the decision.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: mustachepete] #1016916
07/27/21 08:09 PM
07/27/21 08:09 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
Don't know Pete what happens with Carlo?

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: lucab19] #1016918
07/27/21 08:18 PM
07/27/21 08:18 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
No doubt Don Ciccio deserved what happened to him
Yeah right Mafia don't kill women and children

He killed Vito's father, brother and mother, his whole family and would have killed him if he had been caught He injured him
The enemies have to be wiped out, didn't matter he was senile, one leg in the grave

Michael was no different to Vito in conducting their business but I feel at times Vito is seen through rose-coloured glasses as perhaps because the way Vito is romanticized and portrayed He too was a cold blooded murderer despite his outward nice guy appearances!
Threat of lethal force for his Godson's contract release Killing of prized horse for his movie part

Michael didn't kill EVERYONE just his enemies

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Evita] #1016947
07/28/21 01:58 AM
07/28/21 01:58 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Evita
Vito is seen through rose-coloured glasses as perhaps because the way Vito is romanticized and portrayed He too was a cold blooded murderer despite his outward nice guy appearances!
Threat of lethal force for his Godson's contract release Killing of prized horse for his movie part

We tend to romanticize Vito because Brando played him so sympathetically, and because he eschewed drugs. But his businesses were abominable. Everyone knows that the big bucks in gambling come not from the odds favoring the hoouse, but from loan-sharking--a business of broken kneecaps or worse. And as for labor unions: Every dollar Vito made from the unions was stolen from the pockets of working people. He did not hesitate to have rivals wiped out.

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Evita] #1017156
07/31/21 12:44 AM
07/31/21 12:44 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by mustachepete
I don't think that's correct. I think Vito's death was untimely with respect to the plan. He just had to be retired, so he didn't make the decision
Don't know Pete what happens with Carlo?

My take, for what it is worth!

• Thanks! Pop
I doubt the nice guy! Vito would make his daughter Connie a widow even though Connie's husband Carlo “has to answer for Santino” thus leaving the dirty work for his son Michael to carry out

Vito wouldn't want his daughter to think that Vito is a “lousy cold-hearted bastard”
He'd rather let Connie think her brother Michael is but not her father and that Michael “waited until Papa died” because Papa never would have killed Carlo nor allowed Michael to do so if Papa was alive in spite of Connie's
You blamed him for Sonny You always did Everybody did

Here's the thing
  • the Corleones couldn't afford to wait until Vito's natural death like Michael could until Mama's, to kill Fredo
  • otherwise Barzini's people would have chiselled all the Corleones' territory and there won't be one place in New York for any Corleone or Corleone people to hang their hats!
  • Corleone people will come under Barzini's thumb or dead
  • the Corleones couldn't kill Moe Greene, the baptism murders and leave Carlo alive?
  • then wait until Vito's natural death whenever to kill Carlo? even though that would have suited! Vito nicely indeed but seemingly not workable

So in all fairness! Vito's death was timed perfectly!! and exactly as Vito [Puzo and Coppola] planned

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Lana] #1017159
07/31/21 04:59 AM
07/31/21 04:59 AM
Adelaide, Australia
L
lucab19 Offline
Button
lucab19  Offline
L
Button
Adelaide, Australia

Here's the thing
  • the Corleones couldn't afford to wait until Vito's natural death like Michael could until Mama's, to kill Fredo
  • otherwise Barzini's people would have chiselled all the Corleones' territory and there won't be one place in New York for any Corleone or Corleone people to hang their hats!
  • Corleone people will come under Barzini's thumb or dead
  • the Corleones couldn't kill Moe Greene, the baptism murders and leave Carlo alive?
  • then wait until Vito's natural death whenever to kill Carlo? even though that would have suited! Vito nicely indeed but seemingly not workable

So in all fairness! Vito's death was timed perfectly!! and exactly as Vito [Puzo and Coppola] planned

I reckon it would be workable. You can imagine Carlo, seeing all the carnage and surviving, thinking he'd truly gotten away with this part of Sonny's demise. Then upon Vito's passing, getting his (overdue) comeuppance.

They say revenge is a dish best served cold, but that would be positively frozen solid. And well deserved.

Last edited by lucab19; 07/31/21 05:00 AM.
Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: lucab19] #1017171
07/31/21 02:22 PM
07/31/21 02:22 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by lucab19
You can imagine Carlo, seeing all the carnage and surviving, thinking he'd truly gotten away with this part of Sonny's demise. Then upon Vito's passing, getting his (overdue) comeuppance.

A major subtheme in the Trilogy and novel is that greed for money, and lust for revenge, blind men to the consequences of their actions. How could Paulie not have envisioned that his absences on key dates would make him the prime suspect in the shooting of Vito? How could Moe Green not have seen that turning down Michael's offer, and insulting him, would lead to his assassination? How could Roth not have figured out that, after Michael told him that "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man"--and then sparing him and sending him to meet with the Rosatos--was a sign that Michael didn't suspect Frankie in the Tahoe shooting? And that Michael might have suspected Roth?

And how could Carlo think he could get away twice with beating up Connie--and not be the obvious culprit in Sonny's assassination?

As Vito said: "Women and children can afford to be careless. But not men."

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Turnbull] #1017209
07/31/21 08:40 PM
07/31/21 08:40 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
No doubt that would have suited! Vito nicely indeed

Tricky What happens during however long until Papa dies
How would they keep Carlo completely relaxed and confident

Would Michael's right hand man only handle specific areas of the family business or none at all which gets him riled again and thinking he'd truly gotten away, to try other things like the Tahoe bedroom shooting

Vito told him happy for you knowing he would be murdered shortly “lousy cold-hearted bastard”

True Turnbull greed and revenge blind men even women Kay's revenge abortion
If only Vito had practiced what he preached and not been careless

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Turnbull] #1017222
08/01/21 05:20 AM
08/01/21 05:20 AM
Adelaide, Australia
L
lucab19 Offline
Button
lucab19  Offline
L
Button
Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted by Turnbull
A major subtheme in the Trilogy and novel is that greed for money, and lust for revenge, blind men to the consequences of their actions. How could Paulie not have envisioned that his absences on key dates would make him the prime suspect in the shooting of Vito? How could Moe Green not have seen that turning down Michael's offer, and insulting him, would lead to his assassination? How could Roth not have figured out that, after Michael told him that "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man"--and then sparing him and sending him to meet with the Rosatos--was a sign that Michael didn't suspect Frankie in the Tahoe shooting? And that Michael might have suspected Roth?

And how could Carlo think he could get away twice with beating up Connie--and not be the obvious culprit in Sonny's assassination?

As Vito said: "Women and children can afford to be careless. But not men."

I know there's only so much that can be transferred from the book to the movie, but I wish Paulie's backstory had made it. For those unfamiliar, after Bonasera had visited the Don, Paulie was given the job of exacting revenge on the two punks who defiled Bonasera's daughter. And he carried it out perfectly. Clemenza was delighted. Paulie was a real rising star within the family, which made his betrayal all the more unexpected and shocking.

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: lucab19] #1017243
08/01/21 04:23 PM
08/01/21 04:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by lucab19
[
I know there's only so much that can be transferred from the book to the movie, but I wish Paulie's backstory had made it. For those unfamiliar, after Bonasera had visited the Don, Paulie was given the job of exacting revenge on the two punks who defiled Bonasera's daughter. And he carried it out perfectly. Clemenza was delighted. Paulie was a real rising star within the family, which made his betrayal all the more unexpected and shocking.

Yes, absolutely right. But, that's the greed factor in a nutshell: Paulie could have had a great career with the Corleones and made lots of money over the longer term. But, he sold them out--probably for a one-time large cash payment--and put himself, so obviously, right in the crosshairs of blame.

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Turnbull] #1017271
08/02/21 01:33 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Sure thing Turnbull “greed for money, and lust for revenge, blind men to the consequences of their actions”
Also underestimating their opponents and overestimating! themselves

Michael was nearly undone himself with Roth

They all seemed a good idea at that time! and they all “envisioned” getting away with it

Paulie must have thought Paulie's plan of previous sickies pattern leading up to Vito's murder attempt would let him get away with it or at least been given the benefit of the doubt

Greene was under the impression the Corleones were washed up and Greene can make a deal with Barzini to keep his Hotel

Roth's clean He's never been busted for the rackets Great man Roth acts like Michael is his son, his successor
Why would Michael suspect Roth?!

Agree lucab19 some backstory [not all!] in the book enriches the story arc, our understanding of the characters' dilemmas and undoubtedly the Forum debates
Neri's backstory as to why Neri is so fiercely loyal to Michael Neri's unshakable loyalty

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Evita] #1017272
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
No doubt that would have suited! Vito nicely indeed

Tricky What happens during however long until Papa dies
How would they keep Carlo completely relaxed and confident

Would Michael's right hand man only handle specific areas of the family business or none at all which gets him riled again and thinking he'd truly gotten away, to try other things like the Tahoe bedroom shooting

Vito told him happy for you knowing he would be murdered shortly “lousy cold-hearted bastard”

True Turnbull greed and revenge blind men even women Kay's revenge abortion
If only Vito had practiced what he preached and not been careless
Tricky indeed keeping Carlo alive until Vito's natural death
  • I suppose Carlo would be living in Tahoe as Michael's right hand man?!
  • The Corleones pretending that little farce Carlo played with Connie had fooled the Corleones [okay! it did fool hotheaded Sonny] until Papa dies
  • The Corleones can't keep Carlo under watch or similar like Michael did with Fredo until Mama died without raising suspicions nor keep Carlo idling – out of the family business until Papa dies

Carlo's little farce no-brainer
Whilst Michael played this one beautifully if Carlo had steadfastly denied any part in Sonny's murder, would Carlo have perhaps gotten away with it? Michael's dilemma!

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Lana] #1017342
08/03/21 06:10 AM
08/03/21 06:10 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Tricky not workable Carlo fear and hope to keep denying

Connie still angry said It means we should all live happily for a hundred years -- the family. That'd be true if my father were still alive.

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Lana] #1017564
08/06/21 07:45 PM
08/06/21 07:45 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss

Carlo's little farce no-brainer
Whilst Michael played this one beautifully if Carlo had steadfastly denied any part in Sonny's murder, would Carlo have perhaps gotten away with it? Michael's dilemma!

Interesting question It is fleshed out in the book that Tom and others were astonished that Michael needed his admission of guilt so if he steadfastly denied I reckon he would have had no grounds to kill him and they all would have lived happily for a hundred years

Re: How do you think Tom felt about Fredo being killed [Re: Don_Alfonso] #1018991
08/28/21 08:57 AM
08/28/21 08:57 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Tom knew and I’m sure it haunted him. I think Tom decided to stick around if out of loyalty to Vito and Sonny. Tom basically said the Corleone Family is a shell of what it inceceas since Mike took over and became so cold hearted

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull