GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 216 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,483
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,909
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,328
Posts1,058,742
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joe Gallo Crew Articles #1010990
05/05/21 02:07 AM
05/05/21 02:07 AM
L
Louiebynochi Offline OP
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline OP
Banned
L
Underboss
Mr. Diapoulas discussed the Gallo‐Colombo war in interviews with this reporter arranged by a friend of his. Mr. Diapoulas took elaborate precautions during the interviews because he believes some of his underworld associates would kill him if they could find him.

Among his disclosures, substantiated through independent sources, are the following:

¶The first attempt to negotiate peace between the Gallo tiate peace between the Gallo gang and the Colombo group, mediated by Anthony Corallo, a capo in the Luchese crime family, broke down last summer. Immediately afterwards the Colombos tried to shoot several leading Gallo gang members, wounding four and killing one, Steve Grillo, at a dice table at a “Las Vegas Nite” benefit in a Brooklyn synagogue

¶The mistaken‐identity shootings of four businessmen in the Neapolitan Noodle restaurant three years ago were carried out by a hit man from Las Vegas who was misled into thinking the (our were leading figures in the Colombo family. Two of the businessmen were killed.

¶The new boss of the Colombo family, replacing the ineapanitated Mr. Colombo, is Joseph Brancato, a marine veteran who has maintained a low profile in the Mafia. “Brancato is the toughest man in the family,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “He bided his time while others tried for the throne, but now it's his and he's going to hold on to it.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

¶Before his death, Joseph Gallo planned to establish, his gang as the sixth Mafia family in New York.
¶Most of the 16 gangland killings that followed the murder of Mr. Gallo on April 7, 1972, had nothing to do with the Gallo‐Colombo war. “When a war breaks out, everybody uses it to settle private beefs,” Mr. Diapoulas said.

After the shooting at Umberto's Clam House in “Little Italy” Mr. Diapoulas served a year in jail for possession of an unloaded gun. When he got out he went back to the Gallo gang but was dismayed by the policies of” Albert Gallo, known as “Blast.”

He said that Mr. Gallo “didn't take care of my family” while he was in prison and has not succeeded in doing anything to avenge Joseph Gallo's murder by the Colombo group. Speaking of skizmishes that followed the shooting, Mr. Diapoulas said, “The score is them seven, us zero.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Blast is a high bleacher,” he said. “When there are risks to be taken, he's not down there taking them; he's way up in the bleachers watching.”

According to Mr. Diapoulas, a peace settlement between the Colombos and the Gallos seems to be imminent because Mr. Brancato, the new Colombo family boss, has offered Mr. Gallo money to expand the group's racket plus the chance to be “made” —formally initiated into the Mafia.

“Blast will grab the offer because he's greedy and he's proud,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “All his life he's wanted to be made, to be called a good fellow, a man of respect.

Mr. Diapoulas said that both of Albert Gallo's older brothers, Joseph and Lawrence, who died of cancer in 1968, were “made” and that being a member of the Mafia was very important to Albert because a nonmember is not allowed to participate in Mafia councils called sitdowns. (He pointed out, however, that many powerful organized crime members were not “made” but were still held in high esteem because they big moneymakers.)
ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsored Video
Watch to learn more
Sponsored by Advertising Partner
Mr. Diapoulas believes that the peace settlement is aimed at lulling Mr. Gallo into a false sense of security. “In the end the Colombos are going to whack Blast and the others close to him,” he said. “The Gallo gang has been a thorn in the family's side for 15 years and they're determined to wipe it out.”

During the three interviews, Mr. Diapoulas, who is known as “Pete the Greek” among his underworld associates, took careful precautions to avoid being recognized or located by his enemies.

During the second and longest session, which lasted for three days and two nights, Mr. Diapoulas picked up this reporter at the airport of a city which is not his home, drove to a previously undisclosed hotel and stayed with the reporter for the entire time—sleeping in the same room, eating all meals in the hotel's restaurant. He spoke English inside the hotel room but Greek in public places. Even so, Mr. Diapoulas selected secluded tables and stopped speaking whenever anyone came near.

Lived Under Alias

In appearance, Mr. Diapoulas is stocky, about 5 feet, 9 inches tall, with the muscular build and swaggering gait of a wrestler. His English has a slight Brooklyn accent and is sprinkled with Italian words popular among the underworld crowds with which he has spent his life—such as “babbania” for drugs and “gummare” for girlfriend.

ADVERTISEMENT

He was born 43 years ago into a Greek immigrant family living in Brooklyn. Throughout his career in organized crime, Mr. Diapoulas has lived under an alias and his children have no idea what his real name is and what he does.

Mr. Diapoulas first met Joseph Gallo in Brooklyn when they both attended Public School 179. The two became friends but Mr. Diapoulas remembers the young Gallo as an “explosive” personality.

“Once we went horseback riding in Prospect Park,” he recalled. “Joey's horse wasn't moving in the direction he wanted him to go, so he got off, walked up in front of the horse and punched it in the face.”
He said Joseph was “made” along with his older brother, Lawrence, as a reward for killing Albert Anastasia, the Mafia boss, in the Park Sheraton Hotel barber shop in 1957.

ADVERTISEMENT

“But some of the old guys thought Joey might be a user [of drugs], so before they made him they kept him under observation for two days in a hotel room to be sure he wasn't a mainliner,” he said.

Colombo Kidnapped

He said that the two brothers became soldiers in the family of Joseph Profaci, on whose orders they executed Mr. Anastasia. But the rewards they thought would come with family membership never materialized, and in 1961 the Gallon struck against Mr. Profaci.

They kidnapped his brother, brother‐in‐law and underboss and demanded a better share of family rackets to release them.

“Everybody's written about those kidnappings, but what isn't known is that the Gallos also took Joe Colombo at that time,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “The other three were scared as hell but Colombo held up pretty good and Larry Gallo got to like him.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Profaci promised to be more generous with the Gallos to win the release of his men but then reneged on the promise. It was during the ensuing gang war that Mr. Diapoulas joined the Gallos.

The war was settled in 1964 after Mr. Colombo became boss of the Profaci family. “When a boss dies in the Mafia all the capos go back to being just soldiers and the new boss names his own capos,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “Joe Colombo put together his own crew and promised a new deal.”
Mr. Colombo gave the Gallos $60,000 to “put on the street” —loan out at usurious interest —and pledged to “make” four Gallo men, including Albert Gallo.

Feared Strength

But Mr. Colombo never initiated the four into the Mafia because he feared the Gallo group would gain prestige with the other families.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He wanted to keep us weak,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “He sent down orders for us not to get involved in hijacking, babbania or securities because they were Federal offenses and would bring a lot of heat on the family. But his own people were involved in those things. He just wanted to keep us poor.”

Although the Gallo gang periodically violated Mr. Colombo's restrictions, it was unable to generate enough money to support all its members, particularly after Lawrence Gallo died in 1968. Increasingly Gallo men drifted away and joined the Colombo group.

Albert Gallo didn't protest, Mr. Diapoulas said, but did everything he could to remairil on good terms with Mr. Colombo, hoping, the Mafia boss would “make” him.

“Every Christmas Blast would get us to buy a big, expensive present for Colombo—a diamond watch, a golf cart, things like that,” Mr. Diapoulas remembered. “And every Christmas Colombo would come down to President Street [the Gallo headquarters] and pass out the same cheap ties to all the guys.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsored Video
Watch to learn more
Gallo Furious

When Joseph Gallo got out of prison on April 11, 1971, he was furious at the low state the Gallo group had reached, Mr. Diapoulas said.
Mr. Colombo sent two of his captains, Nicky Bianco and Rocco Miraglia, to feel out Mr. Gallo, he said. “Nicky gave Joey an envelope from Colombo with $1,000 in it but Joey threw it back at him.”

Joseph Gallo demanded $100,000, opportunity to expand the group's rackets and fulfillment of the pledge to make four Gallo men. “He told Nicky he wanted Colombo's answer in 24 hours,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “Nicky called back the next day and said Colombo was busy planning the next Italian Unity Day rally and couldn't discuss anything with Joey until after that.”

At that point Joseph Gallo decided he was going to make his group into an independent organization, a sixth Mafia family in New York, Mr. Diapoulas said. “I'll make all you guys myself,” he quoted Mr. Gallo as saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsored Video
Watch to learn more
“When I pointed out that a lot of us couldn't be made because we weren't Italian—we had an Egyptian, a Jew, an Irishman and two Syrians as well as me—he laughed and said he'd dig up Italian ancestors for us somewhere,” he said.

Gallo's First Step

Mr. Gallo concluded that the best way to expand his group's influence was to weaken the Colombo family financially so that Colombo men would come over to him and bring their rackets with them, Mr. Diapoulas said.

“As a first step Joey started attacking the Italian American Civil Rights League, which was throwing off a lot of money to Colombo,” he said. “By then the other bosses had become disgusted with Colombo's handling of the league and he was getting more and more isolated.”

Mr. Colombo became alarmed with Mr. Gallo's moves and tried to set him up to be killed, according to Mr. Diapoulas. “We got word that Colombo had asked someone in another family to invite Joey and Blast to dinner, where Colombo men would come in and whack them,” he said.
ADVERTISEMENT

In retaliation, Mr. Gallo told his men to try to set up Colombo. “We followed Colombo around to catch him offguard,” Mr. Diapoulas said, “but he traveled heavy — four bodyguards—and changed his usual movements, so we couldn't get near him.”

Even though Joseph Gallo wanted Mr. Colombo killed, Mr. Diapoulas contended, Mr. Gallo was not responsible for the shooting of the Mafia boss. The man who allegedly shot Mr. Colombo four years ago was a black named Jerome Johnson, who was killed at the scene. (The police have never made any arrests related to the kill ing although the case is still open.)

“I was as close to Joey as anybody and he swore to me he hadn't set it up,” said Mr. Diapoulas. “If he had done it he would have boasted to us about it like he did about Anastasia.”

After the shooting it was widely reported that the Gallo gang had close ties with black gangsters, stemming from friendships that Joseph Gallo had made in prison. But Mr. Diapoulas said that was not true. “A few blacks who knew Joey in the can came around looking for work, but Blast just gave them $50 and sent them on their way,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Gallo gang did its own investigation into who was behind Jerome Johnson, he said, and decided that the most likely suspect was Tony (Abby) Abbatemarco, a “soldier” in the Colombo family.

“Abby's the biggest numbers operator in Bedford‐Stuyvesant and tight with a lot of blacks, he said. “He was mad at Colombo for squeezing money from him, and he hated Joey because Joey had killed his father, who was a made guy, years back. He knew that if a black hit Colombo, Joey would be blamed for it.”

After the shooting of Mr. Colombo, who is still alive but totally incapacitated, life became very dificult for the Gallo gang, according to Mr. Diapoulas. Everybody had to be on guard against the Colombos and “business” suffered.
Relations between Joseph Gallo and his younger brother deteriorated. “Blast was jealous of Joey's popularity with the other guys and he tried to keep them away from him,” he said. “He was afraid of losing all power to Joey.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsored Video
Watch to learn more
On the night he was shot at Umberto's Clam House, Joseph Gallo was celebrating his 43d, birthday in the company of his wife, Sina, her daughter by a previous marriage, his sister, Carmella, Mr. Diapoulas and a woman named Edith Russo.

Mr. Diapoulas still shows strong emotion when he talks, about the killing of Mr. Gallo. “It's not only that they killed Joey,” he said, “but the way they did it—in front of his family, in a restaurant full of people. It's against every rule there is.”

He said he was seated next to Joey at Umberto's facing the side door, when he saw Carmine Di Blase also known as Sonny Pinto, walk in.

“I turned to tell him Sonny Pinto's coming in,” he recalled. “By the time I could say that, I hear Sonny shout, and bang, there were bullet flashes evecywhere. Instinctively Joey and I threw the table up, and before I know it I get hit in the left thigh and fall to the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I don't know how long it took me to revive myself, but, I got up and ran out the side door, my gun in my hand. Outside I see a couple of guys running for a car and I start pecking at them and they peck back at me as the car drives off.

A Human Shield

“I come back into the place and I see ‘Matty the Horse’ Ianniello on the floor in the kitchen, his hands over his head. When. Sonny Pinto had walked in I'd seen Matty move down the counter toward the kitchen and I figure he's involved. So I put my piece to his neck and move him ahead of me like a shield through the place and out the front door. There I see Joey flat on the street.”
At his trial on gun charges Mr. Diapoulas testified that he did not recognize any of the killers because everything happened so fast. “I was being a stand‐up guy at the trial,” he said. “I was playing the game.”

Joseph Luparelli, who drove the getaway car in the slaying and later became a police informant, said that Mr. Di Biase was one of four men who went into Umberto's and started firing at the Gallo party. Mr. Diapoulas said he saw only Sonny Pinto but knew there were others because of all the bullets fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

When he came out of the hospital, where he was treated for his bullet wound, Mr. Diapoulas found the Gallo gang on a war footing. “The plan was to hit some Colombo top guys—Alley Boy [Alphonse] Persico, Jerry Langella, people like that,” he said.

“Some of our guys were assigned to follow them around and let us know when they were exposed, but they hardly ever went. One guy would say he overslept, another had a cold. It was a farce. And Blast wouldn't push them.”

Mr. Diapoulas said that once he was sent to keep Mr. Persico under surveillance. “I was supposed to sit in a panel truck with special glass so you can see out but nobody can see in, but when I get there I see it's only tinted glass, anybody can see inside if they get close,” he said. “I go back to Blast and I ask him what's going on. He tells me the special glass costs $350 so they put in the tinted glass. That's Blast—he'd risk life to save a dime.”

The Gallo gang's major effort against the Colombos came when they heard that Mr. Per sico, Mr. Langella and other Colombo leaders were going to hold a meeting at the Neapolitan Noodle restaurant on the Upper East Side.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We had a guy in the Colombo family who gave us that piece of information,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “I don't know the details because I wasn't speaking to Blast at that time and nobody was telling me much.”
Mr. Diapoulas said he “heard” that a member of the Gallo group had recruited a hit man from Las Vegas and had him waiting in a Manhattan hotel. As I understand it there was supposed to be someone—I heard it was Bobby Darrow—in the restaurant or outside the window to point out the targets to the Las Vegas guy,” he said.

‘Just Like Him’

“Bobby Darrow was once my partner. He was always drunk or high on something. He had seen Persico and Langella only once or twice years before. It would be just like him to point out the wrong guys.”

Mr. Darrow, whose real name is Robert Bongiove, was sentenced to life imprisonment two years ago for the murder of the night manager of a midtown bar.

ADVERTISEMENT

The bar manager had nothing to do with the Gallo‐Colombo feud, according to Mr. Diapoulas. “Bobby shot him because he was high and wanted to show what a tough guy he was,” he said. “Then he went to President Street and went to sleep.”

He said that, in fact, the Gallos have not succeeded in killing or wounding any Colombo men. Shortly after Joseph Gallo's murder, a Colombo man, Gennaro Ciprio, was shot to death in Brooklyn. But Mr. Di apoulas said that the Colombos themselves killed him because they thought he had been supplying information to the Gallos

On the other hand, the Colombos have killed or wounded seven Gallo men, he said. Thi rest of the 16 killings that followed the murder of Mr. Gallo were not related to the Gallo Colombo war, according to Mr. Diapoulas.

“Gang wars are always used to clean house and settle grudges, he said. “If you kill someone during peacetime, you may have to answer to the bosses, but in wartime nobody asks questions.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Having failed to seize the initiative by wiping out the Colombo leadership at the Neapolitan Noodle, the Gallos agreed to peace negotiations a few months after the incident, Mr. Diapoulas said.

Back to the Table

“When I got out of the can, negotiations were already under way,” he said. “But they broke down last summer and the Colombos tried to whack Blast's key people.”

Since they were able to kill only one Gallo gang member, Mr. Cirillo, while superficially wounding four others, the Colombos failed in their attempt to weaken the Gallo group beyond retaliation, Mr. Diapoulas said, so they went back to the negotiating table.

Mr. Diapoulas said that when he got out of prison he returned to President Street for a while, but that his heart wasn't in it anymore. “I saw how things were,” he said. “Blast looking for No. 1 all, the time and the others‐thinking they're all Jimmy Cagney. So I took off.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Although he admits to having been involved in a variety of criminal activities, his imprisonment on the gun charge was the first time that he had been in jail and he says he doesn't want to go back.

While Mr. Diapoulas was in prison, Albert Gallo failed to follow the tradition calling for the leader of a Mafia group to provide financial assistance to the family of an imprisoned member. “Six weeks after I went in the can, he sent over $200 and after that he sent $50 a few times,” Mr. Diapoulas said. “That was it. I had to borrow money from my relatives to feed my family.”

Mr. Diapoulas said he made considerable money during his years in organized crime, mostly in stolen securities, labor racketeering and gambling. “But I blew it all because you have to keep up a big front on that kind of life,” he said. “There's a lot of money in organized crime, but in the long run, unless you're Carlo Gambino, there's no future in it.”

Last edited by Louiebynochi; 05/05/21 02:10 AM.

A March 1986 raid on DiBernardo's office seized alleged "child pornography and financial records." As "a result of the Postal Inspectors seizures [a federal prosecutor] is attempting to indict DiBernardo on child pornography violations" according to an FBI memo dated May 20, 1986.
Thousands of pages of FBI Files that document his involvement in Child Porn
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/star-distributors-ltd-46454/
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/0...s-Miporn-investigation-of/7758361252800/
https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/1526052/united-states-v-dibernardo/
Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1010991
05/05/21 02:10 AM
05/05/21 02:10 AM
L
Louiebynochi Offline OP
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline OP
Banned
L
Underboss
The brother and four close associates of Joseph Gallo, the slain gangster, reportedly have been marked for assassination by members of the Mafia family reputedly headed by Joseph A. Colombo Sr.

A deposition filed on Monday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in State Supreme Court in Kingston asserted that, according to an F.B.I. informant “of known reliability,” the Colombo group “was responsible for the death of two members of the Gallo mob and there are five more victims scheduled to be executed by the Colombo mob.”

The five men said to be on the death list are Albert Gailo and Peter Diapoulas, brother and former bodyguard, respectively, of Joseph Gallo, and John Cutrone, Frank Illiano and Bobby Bongiove, all key members of the Gallo group.

Ciprio's Slaying Cited

In addition to Joseph Gallo, the second man slain by members of the Colombo group, according to the informant, was Gennaro Ciprio. He was shot to death three days after the murder of Gallo on April 7.
ADVERTISEMENT

The police said yesterday that no arrests were imminent for either the Gallo or Ciprio murders, but evidence on the Gallo killing “could lead to action in coming weeks.”

A “soldier” in the Colombo group is the prime suspect in the killing of Gallo and an associate member of the group is suspected of having driven the car in which the killer fled.

The F.B.I. deposition was filed in application for a warrant to search a farm in Saugerties, N. Y., said to be owned by Carmine Persico, a captain in the Colombo family now in the Federal penitentiary at Atlanta.

The deposition said that the farm was being used by the Colombo group as “a hide‐out and an arsenal.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The warrant was granted by the court in Kingston, and the farm was searched Monday afternoon and again yesterday morning. A dozen rifles, shotguns and pistols were found in the main house on Monday and a large cache of similar weapons was uncovered in a barn yesterday.
Four Men Arrested

Four men associated with the Colombo group and a woman companion of one of the men were arrested Monday morning as they were driving away from the farm.

Alphonse Persico and Jerry Angella, brother and bodyguard, respectively, of Carmine Persico, were in the front car, and the three others were in the second car following.

Two guns were found in the second car, according to state policemen who joined F.B.I. agents in the raid. The guns indicated that the purpose of of the second vehicle was to guard the first one carrying Persico.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the underworld, such vehicles are known as “crash cars” because they have been known to smash deliberately into any vehicle attempting to attack the car under guard.

One of the men in the second car stopped Monday was Charles Panarella, described as an acting captain in the Colombo family.

The fact that a man of such high position was assigned to protect Alphonse Persico showed that Persico was playing a leading role in the war against the Gallos, the authorities said.

Persico was brought back to the city and arraigned in Federal Court on a charge of making a false statement in application for a bank loan. The four others were charged with state weapons violations.
ADVERTISEMENT

Persico's arrest was part of an investigation by the Government's Brooklyn Strike Force Against Organized Crime headed by Denis Dillon on the use of bank loans by gangsters to finance illegal ventures.

The Brooklyn group and the Federal strike force in Manhattan are also conducting an investigation on stolen weapons said to be held by members of the opposing sides in the current gang war.

A March 1986 raid on DiBernardo's office seized alleged "child pornography and financial records." As "a result of the Postal Inspectors seizures [a federal prosecutor] is attempting to indict DiBernardo on child pornography violations" according to an FBI memo dated May 20, 1986.
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/star-distributors-ltd-46454/
Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1010992
05/05/21 02:12 AM
05/05/21 02:12 AM
L
Louiebynochi Offline OP
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline OP
Banned
L
Underboss
Louis Hubela, a 38‐year‐old Brooklyn man identified by the police as a member of the Gallo gang, was shot and critically wounded by an unidentified assailant last night as he stood on a street corner not far from the Gallo's headquarters in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn.

Mr. Hubela, who lives at 77 President Street, was standing at the intersection of President and Columbia Streets, about 100 feet from his home at 10:20 P.M. when he was shot in the head. He was taken to Long. Island College Hospital where his condition was reported as poor.

Mr. Hubela, the police say, was indicted in December, 1963, with 15 other Gallo gang members, including Albert Gallo Jr., and was held under $25,000 bail on an indictment charging conspiracy to murder 22 members of the Mafia's Profaci family.

Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1010993
05/05/21 02:15 AM
05/05/21 02:15 AM
L
Louiebynochi Offline OP
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline OP
Banned
L
Underboss
A shooting war that was waged fitfully among South, Brooklyn mob members come to an end, according to throughout the summer has taw enforcement officials in Federal, state and city agencies.

Although the shootings claimed the life of only one man, they wounded seven othens and caused at least 22 defactions from the Gallo gang, a rebellious faction of the crime “family” of Joseph A. Colombo Sr.

The fighting so curtailed the movements of the Gallo loyalfists that at one point they had to depend on hot‐dogs for food and fell into debt to a local hot‐dog dealer, according to a plainclothesman in the 76th Precinct.

“The reason for the sit‐down [truce] is that nobody could move,” said a detective from the Brooklyn District Attorney's office, “and the name of
ADVERTISEMENT

5 Plans Under $50 at Boost® - Boost Mobile® Official Site
Shop our Best Selling Phones at Boost®. Save up to 50% Off Today! Switch to Boost® Mobile's New Upgraded Network - Covering 99% of Americans.
Sponsored by www.boostmobile.com
See more
the game is money.”

The Gallo mob, whose rival factions were carrying on the war, is said to maintain numhers banks and illegal bookmaking operations in Brooklyn.

Authorities said they believed the peace negotiations began last Aug. 26, when two detectives from the Brooklyn District Attorney's office saw a leader from the Joseph Colombo Mafia family enter the Gallo mob's clubhouse at 74 President Street for a conference with Albert Gallo, youngest of the three Gallo brothers and the last of them ???

But it was not until mid‐October, when gangsters who had been in hiding reappeared on South Brooklyn streets, that the police felt certain a peace had been worked out.

A few days after the atmosphere on the streets changed, the police of the 76th Precinct began hearing from informants that some kind of formal truce had been arranged at a leaders' meeting held Oct. 14 or 16.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was Joseph Schipani, a re‐puted “soldier” of some standing in the Colombo family, who was observed going into the Gallo clubhouse in August to talk with Albert Gallo. His efforts had been aimed at negotiating a peace between Mr. Gallo and John Cutrone, leader of the breakaway faction, lawenforcement officials said they had concluded.
Investigators In the District Attorney's office said that Mr. Schipani had been seen attend ing weekly meetings with other leaders of the private carting industry in Brooklyn at the Granada Hotel on Lafayette Avenue for several months before the indictments were handed up. Also attending the meetings, according to the investigators, was Joseph Dantuano, who was reputed to be Albert Gallo's money man.

“When it comes to money, the mob will sit down and deal,” said an Investigator in the rackets bureau of the District Attorney's office. He implied that Colombo and Gallo men had been able to work with each other for mutual benefit and profit in the carting industry.

Early in the summer, law enforcement officials were saying that the mob war involved a dispute between the Gallos and Colombos. But yesterday they said they had concluded that the dispute involved only two factions of the Gallo mob, one of which had the backing of the Colombo family and other Mafia family leaders.

ADVERTISEMENT

The breakaway Gallo faction, led by John Cutrone, who is re putedly the only fully inducted —or as mobsters phrase it, “made”—member of the Mafia lin the Gallo family, has grown to include at least 22 men, most of them middle ‐ aged. This group is said to have had outside backing.

The loyal faction, still cautiously based in the 74 President Street clubhouse, is thought to have about 15 members left, a number of them in their 20's, the police said.

The shootings began last July. 1, when Mr. Cutrone, Gennaro Basciano and Sam Zahralban were fired at by someone with a shotgun outside the Henryville Social. Cub, in the Fort Hamilton section. Mr. Cutrone was not hit, but the other two men were hit in the feet.

On July, 7, James Giliberti. another member of the breakaway faction, was wounded outside his home at 1185 Prospect Avenue. About a month later Steve Cirillo, a member of the loyal Gallo group, was killed by a shot in the hack of the head during a “Las Vegas Night” at the B'nai Israel synagogue.
ADVERTISEMENT

In August and early in Sep Lember, four more loyal Gallo men were shot, none fatally.

According to Robert McDevitt, an anticrime plainclothes man from the 76th Precinct station in Red Hook, the loyalists were so badly pinned down to their headquarters at one point during, the summer that they were feeding themselves on credit on hot‐dogs from a vender who worked on the corner where the two men were shot.

“They ran up a bill of $50 or $60, and he had to go to them to ask for the money,” Officer McDevitt said.

Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1010994
05/05/21 02:16 AM
05/05/21 02:16 AM
L
Louiebynochi Offline OP
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline OP
Banned
L
Underboss
A long‐time member of the Albert Gallo crime “family” was shot on a Brooklyn street by a sniper yesterday in what the police said was another episode in a war between rival factions of the Mafia.

The victim, 46‐year‐old Frank Illiano, who had served as a cook and personal bodyguard to Mr. Gallo, was hit in the right shoulder, the police said. They said he suffered more serious injuries as he fell and struck his head on the sidewalk.

Mr. Illiano was the fourth member of the Gallo gang to be shot this summer, the police said, in a feud that began after a man named John Cutrone led a group of dissidents away from Mr. Gallo's organization. They said three of Mr. Cutrone's followers had been wounded.

After Joseph Gallo was shot to death in Umberto's Clam House in Lower Manhattan in April, 1972, Alberto Gallo tool+ nominal control of the gang But almost from the start then had been some criticism about what was felt to be his “weak leadership.”
ADVERTISEMENT

But they said that Mr. Cutrone and his men might not be the only ones gunning for the Gallos. They pointed out that there had been a lingering hos tility between the Gallo organi zation and the faction headec by Joseph Colombo Jr. sine Mr. Colombo's father was criti cally wounded in June of 1971 the shooting was attributed by some police officials to the Gal los.

The police said the bullet that struck Mr. Illiano had beer fired from a roof about 200 feel away as he talked with another member of the Gallo organiza tion on the northwest corner of President and Columbia Streets. It was only a short dis tance from the gang's head quarters at 76 President Street

Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1010995
05/05/21 02:17 AM
05/05/21 02:17 AM
L
Louiebynochi Offline OP
Banned
Louiebynochi  Offline OP
Banned
L
Underboss
If there is an all‐out gang war in Brooklyn between the Gallo and Colombo groups, as the number of bullet‐riddled bodies over the last few days has led the police to suggest, both sides have the men and the guns to make it the bloodiest internal Mafia conflict in many years.

A check of the committed members of the two sides as listed in a report compiled by the intelligence division of the Police Department shows that there are 118 members of the group headed by Joseph A. Col ombo Sr. and 85 in the group that was led by Joseph Gallo. Colombo was shot in the head nearly a year ago and has not recovered; Gallo was shot to death Friday morning.

The Gallo group, although outnumbered, includes men with more “war” experience than the Colombo group. Some of these have the capacity to provide the strong leadership lost to the group with the mur der of Gallo.

The experienced Gallo men are veterans of the Profaci Gallo “war” in the early nine teen‐sixties. In that conflict, which resulted in a dozen mur ders, a faction led by Larry, Joseph and Albert Gallo re belled against their Mafia “family” then headed by Joseph Profaci over division of the family profits.
ADVERTISEMENT

Profaci Men Sidelined

Colombo took over the Pro faci family in 1964 and con cluded a peace with the Gallo group. But to secure his posi tion as leader, Colombo side lined many of the men who had been close to Profaci during the war and replaced them with less experienced younger men loyal to him.

Since last June, when Colom bo was critically wounded at Columbus Circle, none of these young men has been able to give the family strong leader ship.

Joseph Yacovelli and later Vincent Aloi are reported to have tried serving as acting heads of the family, but with limited success. Neither has the experience or the temperament to be a wartime leader, accord ing to law‐enforcement of ficials.

The one who did have the qualifications is Carmine Per sico, who started serving a 14‐ year Federal prison term 10 weeks ago for hijacking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Persico was one of the most daring front‐line lieutenants for Profaci in the war against the Gallos a decade ago. He is now in the Federal Penitentiary at Atlanta, and prison records show he has kept close tabs on recent developments in Brook lyn.
The records show that in the last three weeks his brother, Alphonse, who is listed by the police as a Colombo family member, and his chief lieuten ant, Jerry Langella, have visit ed Persico at the prison four times.

Persico's cellmate at Atlanta is Hugh Mcintosh, who was convicted with him in the hi jacking case and stood with him in the last war with the Gallos.

The visits to Atlanta have led law‐enforcement officials to speculate that Persico and Mc Intosh may be offering some long‐distance direction to less experienced Colombo men back home.

ADVERTISEMENT

There is also the possibility that in the event of all‐out wart sonic of the old Profaci captains sidelined by Colombo would come back and assume com mand positions. These have been identified by the police as Harry Fontana, John Oddo and Salvatore Mussachio.

Gallo Group's Strength

On the other side, the Gallo group is missing two of the three Gallo brothers (Larry died of cancer in 1968) but is still strong enough to cause a lot of damage. In fact the group can count on 30 more men now than the 55 it had in the war 10 years ago.

Albert Gallo, the surviving Gallo brother, is not considered as aggressive as Larry and Joseph were but is said to be smarter than either of them.

He is also supported by 25 or so veterans of the war of a decade ago. The most formid able is John Cutrone. 51 years old, who has a long arrest rec ord but no major convictions. Officials believe he would take command of the Gallo group in the event of all‐out hostilities.
ADVERTISEMENT

Such a war could possibly be avoided through the inter vention of Mafia leaders such as Carlo Gambino or Thomas Deli. But they would involve themselves only if invited in as Imediators.

Mediation Tradition

Under Mafia tradition a con flict within a family is off‐lim its to other families except on invitation to serve as peace makers.

The force of this tradition was illustrated in the Gallo‐Pro faci war. Aniello Dellacroce, said to be Gambino's under boss, at one point in the con flict seemed to be advising Pro faci lieutenants.

On hearing of this, Joseph Gallo sought out Dellacroce and, finding him in the Little Italy section, punched him in the eye. But Gambino did not order any punishment for Gallo for striking his underboss be cause Dellacroce had breached Mafia tradition in siding with Profaci.

ADVERTISEMENT

Later, however, Raymond Patriarca, the reputed Mafia boss of New England, was in vited by both sides to medi ate the conflict and played a key role in bringing it to an end.

There is a possibility that someone of similar standing may be asked to come in as a mediator between the Gallo and Colombo groups before full scale war breaks out because such conflicts invite unwelcome attention to all Mafia activities.

Gambino, reputed boss of the biggest New York family, would be the likely choice for such a role, but he is suffering from a heart condition and may not be up to it.

Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1011035
05/05/21 03:12 PM
05/05/21 03:12 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Has the report that Joe Gallo punched A. Dellacroce in the face in the street and nothing was done about it ever been proven to be a fact?

Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1011036
05/05/21 03:13 PM
05/05/21 03:13 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
I really enjoyed this posting Louiebynochi, good stuff. Thanks

Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: majicrat] #1011353
05/11/21 04:41 PM
05/11/21 04:41 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted by majicrat
Has the report that Joe Gallo punched A. Dellacroce in the face in the street and nothing was done about it ever been proven to be a fact?
not true

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Joe Gallo Crew Articles [Re: Louiebynochi] #1011400
05/12/21 12:07 PM
05/12/21 12:07 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
sounds crazy

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull