GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Malavita, U talkin' da me ??, 2 invisible), 555 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,082
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,546
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78827
11/07/04 01:09 PM
11/07/04 01:09 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
I went to a college fair the other day and signed up to get some brochures from colleges in PA or pretty close. I'd appreciate it if anyone would post any good colleges that have majors for political science and minors in history. I would also like to start checking out some political books if anyone could list some for me. Thanks. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78828
11/07/04 02:09 PM
11/07/04 02:09 PM
Signore Sole Aumentante Offline
Capo
Signore Sole Aumentante  Offline
Capo
Colleges- Try some on the West Coast but be careful for liberal-bias if you want a fair class.

Political books? Read:

No Spin Zone- Bill O'Reilly
Who's Looking Out or You- Bill O'Reilly
Let Freedom Ring- Sean Hannity
Reagan: A Life in Letters
Deliver Us From Evil- Sean Hannity
Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man
anything by William F. Buckley Jr.

And read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. Masterpiece of political structure's rise and fall.

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78829
11/07/04 03:43 PM
11/07/04 03:43 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
I will never buy anything by Hannity or anything that insults Moore in its' title. I will look at the O'Reilly ones. I bought Dude, Where's my Country? and Red, White, and Liberal: How the Left is Right and the Right is Wrong, today.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78830
11/07/04 05:34 PM
11/07/04 05:34 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
UCLA is known for its excellence in Poli Sci majors, and as I go there, majoring in exactly that, I can tell you firsthand that it really IS very, very good. Yeah, being on the West Coast, it is pretty liberal, but it's not quite AS biased as I expected it would be. I even had a really conservative professor last quarter. (Granted, it was in Philosophy, but still, he was there!) I'd totally recommend UCLA... it's tough, but awesome. Especially if you can work fast enough and hard enough to get to upper-div classes quickly. There are some fascinating classes, really. A friend of mine who went there like 7 years ago took a whole class just on the L.A. Riots.

UC Berkeley is really good, too, but SUPER liberal. I mean, even though you are liberal, don't you think a balanced education is better? Especially if you're going to major in politics, where that's so important. You want to be well-rounded.

If you want to stay on that side of the country, George Washington Univ. is supposed to be really good, too, as are Georgetown and Colombia... I don't know how your grades are, Pat, but if they're good, don't settle for less than what you've worked for. You're really passionate about stuff, and that will motivate you to want to learn more. You totally have potential, so I hope you don't end up at some crappy college that won't challenge you, and instead just bore you.

About Penn State, there was a quote, I think it was by Rodney Dangerfield... "I went to Penn State-- oh no, that was state pen."

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78831
11/07/04 06:05 PM
11/07/04 06:05 PM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Quote:
Originally posted by Signore Sole Aumentante:
Colleges- Try some on the West Coast but be careful for liberal-bias if you want a fair class.

Political books? Read:

No Spin Zone- Bill O'Reilly
Who's Looking Out or You- Bill O'Reilly
Let Freedom Ring- Sean Hannity
Reagan: A Life in Letters
Deliver Us From Evil- Sean Hannity
Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man
anything by William F. Buckley Jr.

And read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. Masterpiece of political structure's rise and fall.
You wanna talk about not being bias??? Look at all the books you just listed. Hmm, I wonder if theyre going to be more conservative??? Thats just a hunch I have.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78832
11/07/04 06:23 PM
11/07/04 06:23 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Zia--Do they have you reading any specific books?

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78833
11/07/04 07:31 PM
11/07/04 07:31 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
I'm reading one now that was recommended to me by my Foreign Policy prof, but just as extracurricular, not as text. It's called "Chinese Foreign Policy: Theory and Practice" by Thomas W. Robinson and David Shambaugh. I don't know if you're interested in world politics, but that one is really interesting. One we're reading along with the text in that class is "Understanding International Conflicts: An Introduction to Theory and History" by Joseph S. Nye. It's alright. Another one about foreign policy is "Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance" by Noam Chomsky. I'm almost sure you'll like that one.

As far as U.S., we had to read one last quarter called "Politics: Observations and Arguments, 1966-2004" by Hendrik Hertzberg. I also got one called "The Almanac of American Politics, 2004" by Michael Barone and Richard E. Cohen, which is very informative. You might also like "One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy" by Thomas Frank. It's really blunt and to-the-point. "The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic" by Chalmers Johnson is also really interesting.

If you tell me what kind of books you want to read, my recommendations could be a lot better... just saying "political" books doesn't cut it. There are so many different ones out there. There are the Sean Hannity-esque analyses (from both sides), there are opinion-based books, there are historical books, etc. And there are so many subjects, too... are you more interested in U.S. politics, or abstract political thought, or the ideas, or what's actually going on, or the history of it, or foreign politics, or U.S. foreign policy... The list goes on.

Just make sure, above everything, that when you read these books, you take them with a grain of salt. Don't believe everything you read, even if the source is good. If you read about a conspiracy theory of some sort, don't just believe it's true; let it lead you to more books about that issue before you form an opinion. A lot of political books are out there just to convince you of something.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78834
11/07/04 07:55 PM
11/07/04 07:55 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
I want to read a book on FDR, a book on the economy, and a beginner's book on foreign policy. I'd also like to read books on WW I, II, abd Vietnam. Anything come to mind?

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78835
11/07/04 07:58 PM
11/07/04 07:58 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
I want to read a book on FDR, a book on the economy, and a beginner's book on foreign policy. Anything come to mind?
Patrick, why not look for the "Idiot's guide to "whatever" " one of those books. It will break things down to its simplest parts and give you a great background on everything. Then when you go to your "intro courses" you won't be caught by surprise by terms.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78836
11/07/04 09:47 PM
11/07/04 09:47 PM
Capo
Capo
Patrick, for WWII, read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. It's a masterpiece. Also, read Patton's memoirs.

And why do you like Michael Moore? You won't read anything that insults him...? You know he's a liar and is full of crap, right? You know Fahrenheit 9/11 was false propaganda, right?

"Today I settled all family business, so don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo-" Michael Corleone

"I punks ed i gruppi ed i rappers moderni hanno avuti timore migliore il sole aumentante di questa cosa di il nostro."
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78837
11/07/04 10:42 PM
11/07/04 10:42 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. :p

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78838
11/07/04 10:43 PM
11/07/04 10:43 PM
New York
M
Mr. Baggins Offline
Underboss
Mr. Baggins  Offline
M
Underboss
New York
Pat, for a good book on economics (and its relevance in todays political debates), read "Applied Economics" by Thomas Sowell. Anything else written by him is a great buy also.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78839
11/07/04 10:48 PM
11/07/04 10:48 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
Pat, for a good book on economics (and its relevance in todays political debates), read "Applied Economics" by Thomas Sowell. Anything else written by him is a great buy also.
Two sentences into the summary of the book:

Quote:
...Sowell, a leading conservative spokesman and a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, seeks to alleviate this confusion.
I don't want a biased book on economics, but this book seems to be the only one anyone knows for starters in economics.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78840
11/07/04 10:53 PM
11/07/04 10:53 PM
New York
M
Mr. Baggins Offline
Underboss
Mr. Baggins  Offline
M
Underboss
New York
Well Pat, if you're reading a book about economics it has to be by a conservative doesn't it ?

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78841
11/07/04 10:59 PM
11/07/04 10:59 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
No.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78842
11/07/04 11:02 PM
11/07/04 11:02 PM
New York
M
Mr. Baggins Offline
Underboss
Mr. Baggins  Offline
M
Underboss
New York
Oh, I didn't realize there were liberal economists .

Just kidding Pat. However I really don't know any books by liberal economists, unless you actually want to read the filth written by Paul Krugman.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78843
11/07/04 11:24 PM
11/07/04 11:24 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Isn't there a book that explains how the economy was started, Social Secutiry, and all of that? I want something that just outlines the economy.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78844
11/07/04 11:39 PM
11/07/04 11:39 PM
New York
M
Mr. Baggins Offline
Underboss
Mr. Baggins  Offline
M
Underboss
New York
Well if you want something about capitalism and the basis of modern economics in general you could read The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, which I actually began reading recently (although right now it seems like a rather daunting project to finish it).

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78845
11/07/04 11:47 PM
11/07/04 11:47 PM
Capo
Capo
Read anything on supply side economics.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78846
11/07/04 11:49 PM
11/07/04 11:49 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Yes, "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith, written in the late 1770's, is basically the model of economics considered the standard today.

Smith is considered the "father of modern economics."

As Baggin's said however, it is a bit daunting because of the language used, but you can plug through it I'm sure.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78847
11/08/04 12:13 AM
11/08/04 12:13 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
I want to read a book on FDR, a book on the economy, and a beginner's book on foreign policy. I'd also like to read books on WW I, II, abd Vietnam. Anything come to mind?
If you have time, you really should go to the library for a few hours and just browse the history and politics sections. Flip through the books that look interesting to you, and see if they look worth the read. The only thing with this idea is that it takes a lot of time, and the time goes by so quickly you don't even notice it. So if you have something else to do, you might miss it. Ahhhh libraries. Gotta love 'em. You might try a Border's, too. They have a politics section, and a history section, too. The thing with that is, you don't get most of the old or rare books.

The book I recommended by Joseph S. Nye is a pretty basic look at foreign policy, and it's pretty short.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78848
11/08/04 12:18 AM
11/08/04 12:18 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Here are some books I have on my Christmas list now:

Hegemony or Survival: America’s Quest for Global Dominance by Noam Chomsky

The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic by Chalmers Johnson

The Death of the West by Patrick Buchanan

Understanding International Conflicts: An Introduction to Theory and History by Joseph S. Nye

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78849
11/08/04 12:30 AM
11/08/04 12:30 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
If I knew you personally, I'd give you one of those for Christmas. Unfortunately, it's not always the thought that counts... the thought doesn't get you the book you want. I think it's so cool that you want to read about this stuff and educate yourself. Especially at your age (but even in way older people), that's so pathetically rare. I hope you find poli sci more and more fascinating the more you learn about it, and that you'll want to stick with it.

Hey, one last thing... even though you don't like the right wing, you should probably still read some work by conservative writers and analysts. Especially with the argumentative mind that you have, it's important to know the opposition. There are a lot of misconceptions all over the political spectrum about the other sides. The more you know about everyone else's position too, the better you can make intelligent arguments against them.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78850
11/08/04 12:34 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Zia--I was actually thinking about getting this one, which seems anti-liberal.
The Real American Dilemma: Race, Immigration, and the Future of America

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78851
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
that have majors for political science and minors in history.
I just noticed this part right now... I had seen that you were interested in poli sci majors, but I hadn't seen the part about minoring in history. That's what I'm doing!! I'm double-majoring in poli sci and business administration, and minoring in history. All I can say is, I hope you have a good memory, if you're going to take that many history classes. It's a lot of fun, though.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78852
11/08/04 12:36 AM
11/08/04 12:36 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
Zia--I was actually thinking about getting this one, which seems anti-liberal.
The Real American Dilemma: Race, Immigration, and the Future of America
I've heard good things about that-- from both liberals and conservatives. I haven't read it, though. I should check it out.

Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78853
11/08/04 01:17 AM
11/08/04 01:17 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
I'm also interested in majoring in Political Science.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78854
11/08/04 05:24 AM
11/08/04 05:24 AM
Sweden
LBG Offline
Made Member
LBG  Offline
Made Member
Sweden
Quote:
I went to a college fair the other day and signed up to get some brochures from colleges in PA or pretty close. I'd appreciate it if anyone would post any good colleges that have majors for political science and minors in history. I would also like to start checking out some political books if anyone could list some for me. Thanks. -Pat
You are welcome to Lund, Sweden, where I study political science!

Political Books:
The clash of civilizations, I don't fucking remember the name of the author right now
Al Franken - Liars (which is very interesting in its FOX chapters)

Oh, and please don't read Let Freedom Ring.

"Nobody ever mentions the weather, can make or break your day.
Nobody ever seems to remember life is a game we play"
"Hello hello it's good to be back, it's good to be back"
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78855
11/08/04 03:59 PM
11/08/04 03:59 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

You recommend Al Franken but say no to Hannity.......

You really can't get more biased than that.

If all you do is read leftwing/rightwing books and not the other side, you are at a HUGE disadvantage

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Best Political Science Colleges in US? #78856
11/08/04 04:18 PM
11/08/04 04:18 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Pat - I went to Syracuse, where they have a great school for political science called the Maxwell School. You can also get a minor in history (I did to go with my major in finance). You can probably get a minor in history at any school.

It's kind of pricey to go there these days, but it is a good school and a lot of fun.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull