GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Big_Tuna93, LC330), 261 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,869
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78584
11/06/04 06:00 PM
11/06/04 06:00 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I just saw it, and it was pretty good.

Jaimie Foxx gives an unbelievable performance in evoking the character of the late Ray Charles, getting his mannerisms and "look" totally down pat.

In addition, the film has some excellent period detail for the time span of 1949-1965, the period during which it took place, and some excellent music, which was performed by Charles before he died, although I thought there could have been more.

However.....

Had the film been a fictional biography, loosely based on Ray Charles life, with, say, Will Smith playing the title role and not attempting an outright imitation of Charles, it probably would have been nothing special.

But it's absolutely worth seeing for Foxx's perormance alone.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78585
11/06/04 06:04 PM
11/06/04 06:04 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
This is good to hear. I saw Collateral and was amazed to see such a good performance by Foxx. Now I'm really excitied. Thank's Plaw!

Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78586
11/06/04 06:17 PM
11/06/04 06:17 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Plaw, I agree completely. The film was amazing, as was Foxx's performance.

When I was getting ready to see it, I feared it would be similar to "Ali", which was a bad movie with one great performance. But I was wrong about "Ray". Not only was the lead performance by Foxx incredible, but the movie itself was excellent. It did what few biographies do: it not only shows Ray Charles the musician, but Ray Charles.
I had no idea how diverse he was, going from jazz to country and beyond. But I also didn't know about his heroin addiction or his brother's death.

All in all, an amazing movie that should not be missed. With all the biographies coming out this year, it will be hard for them to top "Ray".

How am I not myself?
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78587
11/06/04 06:24 PM
11/06/04 06:24 PM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
I wouldn't say ALI was bad, but I was "meh" about it, despite some good acting work by Smith and Jamie BOOTY CALL Foxx(which that nickname I might have to retire soon it seems).

Anyway, ya RAY is a decent good flick, though what will stay is Foxx's acting work which for sure will get him an Oscar nomination(not to mention he might get a nom for Best Supporting Actor for COLLATERAL, but who knows. I mean Al Pacino had this happen in 1992 with his acting work nominated for both SCENT OF A WOMAN and GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS).

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78588
11/06/04 06:45 PM
11/06/04 06:45 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:
Originally posted by QTN:
I wouldn't say ALI was bad, but I was "meh" about it, despite some good acting work by Smith and Jamie BOOTY CALL Foxx(which that nickname I might have to retire soon it seems).

Anyway, ya RAY is a decent good flick, though what will stay is Foxx's acting work which for sure will get him an Oscar nomination(not to mention he might get a nom for Best Supporting Actor for COLLATERAL, but who knows. I mean Al Pacino had this happen in 1992 with his acting work nominated for both SCENT OF A WOMAN and GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS).
Yeah, you're right. "Ali" wasn't bad, but it was ultimately missable.

That's an interesting comparison with Al Pacino's career, but I beg to differ.
I consider it more like Sean Penn's double feature last year. Penn had his mainstream hit "Mystic River", and showed us another great performance in "21 Grams". Both were excellent leading performances. But he was only nominated for one performance, and he won it.
I think the same could be said for Foxx this year. "Ray" is his Oscar worthy performance. Both were leading performances, and both were excellent, but the Academy will, unfairly, only recognize one, and I feel they will recognize his performance in "Ray", which I think was better anyway.

I would like to see Foxx win the Oscar, and it would be interesting to see if Tom gets a Best Actor nomination for "Collateral", and the two go head to head. While I thought it was Cruise's best performance to date, I still feel he won't get a nomination.

How am I not myself?
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78589
11/06/04 07:00 PM
11/06/04 07:00 PM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
I agree that the Sean Penn comparison is more apt, but I was stuck with the Pacino situation since I was empty on any other comparisons at the time.

Thing is, who else is "supposed" to be the Best Actor "heavyweights" of this year? I mean Foxx's buzz for RAY was big before it even came out, and with the majority of reviews I've read, both positive, so-so, and slightly disapointingly negative, that early pre-release buzz has been met, so he'll be nominated for sure.

As for Cruise, I think he'll be nominated. I mean finally he plays the "villain" and with the 11th hour Oscar-ballot pushing by Dreamworks and Paramount, its guaranteed.

Now you forget about one important advantage to past single/multi Oscar-nominated actors, which I call the "We're Sorry, Here you Go Advantage". I mean "Denzel" got his Oscar for TRAINING DAY after being passed up for his work in stuff like MALCOLM X or THE HURRICANE or HE GOT GAME or DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS. Other classic examples include Paul Newman and Al Pacino who finally win their Oscars for films that compared to their work in previous movies they got passed over(like SCARFACE and the GODFATHER films for Pacino or COOL HAND LUKE and THE HUSTLER for Newman), they are weak.

Sorry for the long tirade, but if Cruise and Foxx went head to head, and reading the correlation of how the pricky Oscar voters are....Cruise will win if because of his 3 previous Oscar nominations that went nowhere, whatever we agree or not.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78590
11/06/04 07:44 PM
11/06/04 07:44 PM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Quote:
Anyway, ya RAY is a decent good flick, though what will stay is Foxx's acting work which for sure will get him an Oscar nomination(not to mention he might get a nom for Best Supporting Actor for COLLATERAL, but who knows.
There is no way Foxx would be nominated for best supporting actor for Collateral because he was main character in the movie. He is practically in every scene throughout the movie.

He will be nominated for Ray though and is the clear-cut winner so far, but we still have two months of movies to come out. I really enjoyed this movie overall but doubt it will be nominated as best picture because we keep seeing true life stories about real people all the time and it may be getting a little old.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78591
11/06/04 07:49 PM
11/06/04 07:49 PM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Quote:

Now you forget about one important advantage to past single/multi Oscar-nominated actors, which I call the "We're Sorry, Here you Go Advantage". I mean "Denzel" got his Oscar for TRAINING DAY after being passed up for his work in stuff like MALCOLM X or THE HURRICANE or HE GOT GAME or DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS. Other classic examples include Paul Newman and Al Pacino who finally win their Oscars for films that compared to their work in previous movies they got passed over(like SCARFACE and the GODFATHER films for Pacino or COOL HAND LUKE and THE HUSTLER for Newman), they are weak.
I will agree with you on Pacino, but I have to disagre with Denzel. He gave his best performance in Training Day and that is why he finally won it for that. He's another guy you could mention for this year as well for another job well done in The Manchurian Candidate. The problem is that it was a summer flick and may be forgotten by the time it comes to nominate.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78592
11/06/04 10:02 PM
11/06/04 10:02 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:

Thing is, who else is "supposed" to be the Best Actor "heavyweights" of this year? I mean Foxx's buzz for RAY was big before it even came out, and with the majority of reviews I've read, both positive, so-so, and slightly disapointingly negative, that early pre-release buzz has been met, so he'll be nominated for sure.

As for Cruise, I think he'll be nominated. I mean finally he plays the "villain" and with the 11th hour Oscar-ballot pushing by Dreamworks and Paramount, its guaranteed.

Now you forget about one important advantage to past single/multi Oscar-nominated actors, which I call the "We're Sorry, Here you Go Advantage".

Sorry for the long tirade, but if Cruise and Foxx went head to head, and reading the correlation of how the pricky Oscar voters are....Cruise will win if because of his 3 previous Oscar nominations that went nowhere, whatever we agree or not.
I'm not so sure. Someone on IMDb said that "Collateral" is Cruise's "Training Day" (meaning he will win the Oscar but not deserve it). But I think he does deserve it, and in that case, he WON'T win.
That might sound confusing, but the Academy works in strange ways. Oscar season is my favorite time of year. I love making predictions, even if I am usually wrong.

But anyway, another actor getting a lot of Oscar buzz is Johnny Depp for "Finding Neverland". He might win because the Academy might pull their 'We're Sorry, Here you Go' technique for all the nominations that he was overlooked for.

How am I not myself?
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78593
11/06/04 10:39 PM
11/06/04 10:39 PM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
I liked Washington in TRAINING DAY, but the grumblings I heard from many people after he won is why I noted as such an example.

Thing is, I really can't agree on seeing anyone being Best Actor outside Cruise. As for nominations, I can see Mr. Depp getting nominated(but no chance at winning), and I also see Liam Neeson getting some props and a nomination on the early-buzz/great reviews-filled movie that is KINSEY(and the same director, who previously had helmed GODS & MONSTERS, got the lead Ian McKellen a nomination so mark one for Darkman).

While I think the Oscars have f*cked up many many a time, its still fun to watch and predict the results. Hopefully I'll do better in March than I did last tuesday

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78594
11/06/04 10:42 PM
11/06/04 10:42 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I haven't seen this movie, but a co-worker did and he thought it was excellent. He too said Jaimie Foxx did a wonderful job.

Tell me though. I never did know how Ray Charles became blind. I know he was not born blind, but that's all I know.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78595
11/06/04 10:48 PM
11/06/04 10:48 PM
Chicago
Busta Offline
Underboss
Busta  Offline
Underboss
Chicago
Quote:
Originally posted by Omar Suarez:

But anyway, another actor getting a lot of Oscar buzz is Johnny Depp for "Finding Neverland". He might win because the Academy might pull their 'We're Sorry, Here you Go' technique for all the nominations that he was overlooked for.
Umm, Johnny Depp has been nominated only once and that was last year for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78596
11/06/04 10:52 PM
11/06/04 10:52 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
I
Tell me though. I never did know how Ray Charles became blind. I know he was not born blind, but that's all I know.

TIS
I believe he went blind at the age of 7 from glaucoma.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78597
11/06/04 10:57 PM
11/06/04 10:57 PM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
Indeed Busta. However, Depp had done several great performances that were unfortunately ignored. From DON JUAN DEMARCO to ED WOOD to EDWARD SCISSORHANDS of course what in my opinion I feel is his career best.........FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78598
11/07/04 12:53 AM
11/07/04 12:53 AM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:
Originally posted by Busta:
Umm, Johnny Depp has been nominated only once and that was last year for Pirates of the Caribbean.
Did I say he had been nominated more than once? No. What I said was that he was overlooked for multiple nominations that he SHOULD HAVE recieved. I echo QTN when I say that his most overlooked performance was "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", followed by "Ed Wood".

How am I not myself?
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78599
11/07/04 02:21 AM
11/07/04 02:21 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Yeah, I saw this last night, too. Great film, but I think it could have been better. I haven't thought through yet what it's lacking, so I can't pinpoint it. But in general, it was very, very good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar Suarez:
With all the biographies coming out this year, it will be hard for them to top "Ray".
I don't know, Omar... I'm really looking forward to "Beyond the Sea." I hope it lives up to my expectations. It'd be easy to mess that one up, so I hope they don't.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78600
11/07/04 02:22 AM
11/07/04 02:22 AM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
Who is beyond The Sea about?

You talkin' to me?
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78601
11/07/04 02:31 AM
11/07/04 02:31 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
You haven't heard that song? It's my second favorite song ever. It's Bobby Darin. Kevin Spacey (who I've always thought was the spitting image!) is playing him, and I think directing it, too. Should be pretty good.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78602
11/07/04 02:38 AM
11/07/04 02:38 AM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
Thanks! I'll check it out.

You talkin' to me?
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78603
11/07/04 06:01 AM
11/07/04 06:01 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Letizia B.:
You haven't heard that song? It's my second favorite song ever. It's Bobby Darin. Kevin Spacey (who I've always thought was the spitting image!) is playing him, and I think directing it, too. Should be pretty good.
They showed a trailer for it before "Ray".

Spacey looked much too old.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78604
11/07/04 09:33 AM
11/07/04 09:33 AM
Q
QTN Offline
Made Member
QTN  Offline
Q
Made Member
Ya Spacey has been trying to make his Bobby Darin-bio movie for years.....from the trailer I saw, he looks Ten years TOO late. Sad really since a decade-younger Spacey probably would have looked much better. Tsk Tsk!

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78605
11/07/04 10:58 AM
11/07/04 10:58 AM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:
Originally posted by Letizia B.:
I don't know, Omar... I'm really looking forward to "Beyond the Sea." I hope it lives up to my expectations. It'd be easy to mess that one up, so I hope they don't. [/QB]
I am also looking forward to that, but I saw the trailer for "The Aviator", and it looks rather disappointing.

How am I not myself?
Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78606
11/07/04 11:09 AM
11/07/04 11:09 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I too want to see Beyond the Sea. I've seen only brief previews, and thought Spacey looked a lot like Darin. BTW, PLaw, you say he's too old. How old is Spacey??? I believe Bobby Darin died in his late thirties no???

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78607
11/07/04 12:00 PM
11/07/04 12:00 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Spacey is 46. Bobby Darin died at age 37.

The trailer showed scenes of Darin in his 20's, with Spacey made up with some extra hair.

He looked kinda silly.

Re: "Ray"....The Ray Charles story #78608
11/07/04 05:50 PM
11/07/04 05:50 PM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
From what footage I've seen of Bobby Darin's shows, especially the later ones, I always thought he looked like Kevin Spacey... I agree Spacey's a little old for the part, but I think he can make it work. What I'm excited to see is Peter Cincotti's acting debut. He's one of the best jazz pianists around right now (although you couldn't tell from his new album :rolleyes: ), and he's a little closer to the right age (he's 21). He'll be playing Dick Behrke, who was Darin's... best friend? Something like that. Wow, that will be quite an age gap... 21 and 46. But anyway, I hope his acting is as good as his piano playing. (Doubtful, usually, right? )

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull