GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Liggio, BarrettM), 271 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,106
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,691
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why was Michael the favorite son #8369
05/04/04 12:52 PM
05/04/04 12:52 PM
Bronx, NY
B
Buttapcanrican Offline OP
Capo
Buttapcanrican  Offline OP
B
Capo
Bronx, NY
Why was Micheal Don Vito's favorite son..On the steps, after killing Don Fannuci, Vito had already chosen Michale as his favorite, does anyone know why that was?

Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8370
05/04/04 01:23 PM
05/04/04 01:23 PM
california
Robo Offline
Made Member
Robo  Offline
Made Member
california
Originally posted by Buttapcanrican:
Why was Micheal Don Vito's favorite son..On the steps, after killing Don Fannuci, Vito had already chosen Michale as his favorite, does anyone know why that was?
I think he loved all his sons equally. vito never actually said "michael you are my favorite." michael was the youngest of the sons, the purest. a big theme of GFI and what partially shadows GFII is the high hopes that vito had for michael and his future. the hopes of michael becoming a more "respected" corleone. the last conversation between michael and vito in GFI, i think, can help us out on why vito was somewhat holding michael on a pedestal.
from www.thegodfathertrilogy.com
MICHAEL (reaching over, touching his father)

What's the matter? What's bothering you?

(then, after the Don doesn't answer)

I'll handle it. I told you I can handle it, I'll handle it.

VITO CORLEONE (as he stands)

I knew that Santino was going to have to go through all this. And Fredo -- well --

(then, after he sits besides Michael)

-- Fredo was -- well -- But I never -- I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life, I

don't apologize, to take care of my family. And I refused -- to be a fool -- dancing on the

string, held by all those -- bigshots. I don't apologize -- that's my life -- but I thought that --

that when it was your time -- that -- that you would be the one to hold the strings. Senator -

Corleone. Governor - Corleone, or something...

MICHAEL

Another pezzonovante...

VITO CORLEONE

Well -- this wasn't enough time, Michael. Wasn't enough time...

MICHAEL

We'll get there, Pop -- we'll get there...

In my home! In my bedroom, where my wife sleeps! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.
Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8371
05/04/04 03:18 PM
05/04/04 03:18 PM
London,UK
kasanova Offline
Made Member
kasanova  Offline
Made Member
London,UK
I think he loved all his sons equally. vito never actually said "michael you are my favorite."
Im pretty sure that in the novel, it states that the dons favourite was indeed michael

Something to the effect of ' before he went to war, michael was the don's favourite son'

Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8372
05/04/04 03:22 PM
05/04/04 03:22 PM
MI6
Krlea Offline
Underboss
Krlea  Offline
Underboss
MI6
I agree with everything Robo said. Michael was probably the fav. son simply because he was the youngest and because Don Vito saw him as the smartest of his three sons. He believed Michael had the most potential to be something greater, the one to pull the strings.
I also wanted to add that when I read the book (I'm sure I will be corrected b/c it's been awhile since I read it) I believe that Don Vito loved Tom more than was displayed in the movie. I think Michael sensed that and was a little jealous. In the book Don Vito tells Tom not to call him Pop so that Tom is reminded of his past. However it also notes that Don Vito did this to remind himself that Tom is not his son as well. That part always stuck out in my mind, that Don Vito wanted to remind himself to be respectful of Tom's father.

Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8373
05/04/04 04:12 PM
05/04/04 04:12 PM
Bronx, NY
B
Buttapcanrican Offline OP
Capo
Buttapcanrican  Offline OP
B
Capo
Bronx, NY
In my opinion, and Im no authority on The Godfather, but in Part II it seems as though Vito was showing favoritism to Michael, esp when they were in The Old Country. In America, he tells the infant son Michael, Michael, your father loves you very much, mi galoso (sp). I asked an Italian friend what that means and he said it meant "my glory..or my pride and joy in maybe our terms here in America. Thats why I figured he had wanted Michael not mixed up in the family business because he loved him so much.

Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8374
05/04/04 05:00 PM
05/04/04 05:00 PM
california
Robo Offline
Made Member
Robo  Offline
Made Member
california
Originally posted by kasanova:
I think he loved all his sons equally. vito never actually said "michael you are my favorite."
Im pretty sure that in the novel, it states that the dons favourite was indeed michael

Something to the effect of ' before he went to war, michael was the don's favourite son'
i stand corrected wink
robert

In my home! In my bedroom, where my wife sleeps! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.
Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8375
05/04/04 09:39 PM
05/04/04 09:39 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
It says something in the beggining of the book, at Connies wedding when all the characters are introduced, something to the effect that Michael was his favorite, and the most likely to take over the business, because he was the most like his father.Maybe he was his favorite becuase they were the most alike.From the time Sonny was 16, Vito knew he could never be a legit American(you know what I mean)Fredo it seems, followed anything his brother and father did, plus he was Fredo, so all hope for him then goes soaring out the window.Michael was the only one left.Vito wanted him to be legit,and tried to teach him that, because none of his other sons wanted to learn legitimacy.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8376
05/05/04 04:53 AM
05/05/04 04:53 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
But he didnt know that when they were very young children, it was grossly unfair of Vito to select a favourite, each were equally deserving of his love, but once michael was on the scene, he was the 'one' at least Fredo's mummy loved him

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8377
05/05/04 10:34 AM
05/05/04 10:34 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael was Vito's favorite son mainly because he was obviously the smartest, and had the best chance of guiding the family safely in the years ahead. Though Vito had hoped that Michael would become a major political pezzanovante, it became clear later that he also was confident that Michael would make an excellent Don.

The Don had early hopes for Sonny. In the novel, Clemenza tells the Don that he learned that the teenaged Sonny had committed an armed robbery. The Don berates him, then Sonny says he saw the Don kill Fanucci. Then the Don says, "Don't you want to be a lawyer? A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns." Sonny says he wants to follow in the Don's footsteps. And, as we saw, he's a bad Don. As for Fredo: the movie makes him out to be pathologically stupid. In the novel, he's loyal and obedient, but doesn't have leadership qualities. So, after awhile, it becomes Michael by default, if you want to view it that way.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why was Michael the favorite son #8378
05/05/04 11:11 AM
05/05/04 11:11 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Only cos Sonny died, i cant see Micheal pushing him out of the way.

And so what if Michael was the smartest, theres more to life then that, and as a father Vito should appreciate that and encourage all his children.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull