GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 308 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,668
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000225
11/22/20 02:40 PM
11/22/20 02:40 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
@NyMafia
SLEEPER REPORT! : NATALE RICHICHI

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000258
11/23/20 03:33 AM
11/23/20 03:33 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Thanks that narrowed it down for me. I have Frank Dabbene in the Calabrian faction, and a close associate of Joe Scalise

Frank Dabbene- Also known as Don Ciccio and Don Cheech. Born in 1897 in Reggio di Calabria. Lived in Utica New York before moving to Baltimore. Became made in the 1950s. He was a tremendous earner as he financed bookmakers and was known to be a bank who could layoff some heavy bets. He operated numerous gambling games and ran the local lottery in Baltimore county. Prime suspect in a number of murders. Hanged out at the Trocadero Democratic club and East Baltimore street. Suspected in international narcotics trafficking given his every other year trip to Toronto, and Mexico city, and his yearly vacation in Italy. Help run the Carry-out beverage store with his nephews the Provenzas, to show income, and possibly was used to smuggle narcotics. Close to Buffalo members John Camizzo, the Damianis, and John Melito, the Caronnas, the Moricis, and the Scalises. Passed away in 1984.

Rocco Mazzie- Born in Pennsylvania in 1916. Nickname Rogie. He was an enforcer and involved with narcotics, a big dealer throughout the United States. Lived in the Bronx. Made in the 1950s. Was in Vincent Squillante crew. Haunts were East Harlem, strong connections with other families drug suppliers and dealers. Became capo over part of the Squillante crew after Vincent was killed. Force to retire by Big Paul and Nino Gaggi in 1976/77. Reinstated by John Gotti ( at least allowed to come to the social clubs) passed away in 1986.

Arthur Leo- also known as ch*nk, Mousie. Born in NYC in 1924. A protege of Frank Scalise and a member of his crew. Made in the late 1940s. Known as a sexual deviate. Involved in narcotics, policy, strongarm tactics, arrested for rape. Conflicting reports(a lot of these guys have conflicting reports and rumors, what fun going through all of them) 1) he was made a capo by Mangano in 1950 2) he was made Capo by Albert Anastasia in 1951 when Frank Scalise was bumped up to underboss 3) made a capo after Scalise was killed in 1957 4) was made a capo in 1958. He took over Scalise crew. He was all over the place. Died in 1965.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1000303
11/23/20 04:25 PM
11/23/20 04:25 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
I (and I am sure the thread) appreciate your knowledge and research @Giacomo_Vacari. I believe we are getting a more clear picture of the Families during that time, when information like this is included and analyzed. There is some many dynamics and interesting characters that have been in CN.

A few more names:
Vincenzo "Jimmy" Di Leonardo
John "Johnny Connecticut" Busso
Giuseppe "Joe Rivers" Silesi
Giuseppe "Joe The Wop" Gennaro
Alexander " The Ox" DiBrizzi
Calogero " Lelio" DiCarlo
John Scotto
And if you still looking for Tony Plate.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000331
11/24/20 03:27 AM
11/24/20 03:27 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
James Massi- Known as Jimmy Ward. Brother in laws Peter and Anthony Casella in Philadelphia, Ben and Ted DeMartino. Maybe related to other mobster due to his brothers and son James. Born in NYC in 1908. Lived in the Bronx. Said to have been part of the Minutemen, the gang Joe Valachi was the driver in. Close to Rocco Mazzie, Vincent Squillante, and Giacomo Riina. Made in the 1950s. Known as a strongman and hitman, arrested in the company of Frank Amendola for Illegal firearms possession. Do to his associations with Amendola and Valachi, it is safe to assume he was affiliated with the Lucchese family before he joined the Gambino family. Big in the drug trade. Made into the Squillante crew. Sentence to ten years in 1958. Once released served under Rocco Mazzie, retired around the same time. Did an unknown favor for his brothers in law in Philadelphia in 1981. Passed away in 1989.

Anthony Plate- Also known as Tony Plates, The Pitbull. Was born in 1913, dont know where. He was known as a hitman, gambler, pimp, loanshark ( he personally meet with Trafficante at his north Miami home once a month with a fat envelope) and narcotics pusher. Made in the 1950s part of Tommy Rava crew, but since he lived in Florida, he had to report to Giuseppe Silesi, and his Lieutenant Tommy Altamura who Plate allegedly got into a verbal arguement after he learned Altamura was one of those that killed Tommy Rava. When Altamura was killed Plate became Silesi righthand man in Florida. Plate was a secret partner to Trafficante in a construction company. He also satdown for Joseph Indelicato after he swindled a visiting Gambino member, Indelicato was spared but was suspended until he paid back 50,000 thousand, plus interests, plus paid everyone there 1,000 (this some additional info on Joseph Indelicato, he was also one of the killers in Tommy Rava disappearance, I known what file it is under now, but it is gone, at least most of it) Indelicato was indeed a Gambino member. Plate frequented The Apartment ran by Bonanno soldier William Dara, and the 79th Street Causeway in Miami. He along with Frank Gagliardi were tasked with finding two unidentified Chicago members in 1976, suspected of dumping bodies in South Florida among them John Roselli, and talk to them. Meaning stop dumping bodies and leave. Weather they ever found then or not is unknown, but I doubt it as they were complaining about the individuals and that New York (Bosses) were going to put an end to it. He was involved in the George Byrum murder as a favor to Nino Gaggi. He was a codefendant with Dellacroce, it is doubtful that Plate would have talked, but he had stepped on alot of toes, and his presence was menacing that Dellacroce feared he would not beat the case. Plate disappeared in August 1979, according to Willie Johnson, it was Angelo Ruggiero and John Gotti. I believe one of Tony's associates Ralph Bishop was involved in luring Plate somewhere he would feel safe and Angelo and John took it from there.

That was a good file, but most of it is gone.

Last edited by Giacomo_Vacari; 11/24/20 03:49 AM. Reason: Incoherent sentence

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000332
11/24/20 04:24 AM
11/24/20 04:24 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Giovanni Busso- Known as Johnny Connecticut. Born in 1898. Little about him. Made during the Castellammarese war. Member of Joe Biondo crew. Good friend was Lucchese soldier Frank Citrano, they ran a bakery together. Involved in Gambling and stolen goods. Some what of a tough guy but no indication that he was a hitman armed robbery and procession of a gun do not count. Frequented Lower Eastside in Manhattan and Hartford Connecticut. Retired to Miami when Joe Biondo was shelved. Dont have a death date.

Alexander DiBrizzi- Known as The Ox, Al Britton. Born in NYC 1892. His arrest and citations entries are a mile long. Gambling, assault, grand Larceny, criminal conspiracy. Made in the 1920s. Believed to be a Capo after the Castellammarese war. Lived on Staten Island. Close to the Anastasias. Ran the waterfronts on SI. President of Local 920 I.L.A owned Ten Acre Farm in NJ. Close associate with the Anastasia, Joe Lanza, Anthony Strollo, Anthony Corallo, and Carlos Marcello. His nephews became members and ran the docks when he retired. Moved to Mississippi and died there in 1980.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000345
11/24/20 12:11 PM
11/24/20 12:11 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Calogero Di Carlo- Known as Lilo. Born in Corleone in 1901. Moved to the US in 1922. Made during the Castellammarese war. Most of his family became Lucchese members. Lived in Manhattan. Only arrest was being interned as an enemy alien for 5 months during WW2. Once released barely on the streets until the end of WW2. Was a member of Jerome D'Aquila crew. Owned Di Carlo Travel Agency, was used to smuggle narcotics, alien smuggling. Know as a counterfeiter and forger in the underworld. Promoted to Capo by Albert Anastasia when he took over. Remained in position until he had a disagreement with either Paolo Gambino or Paul Castellano, he was demoted and Olympio Garafalo became Capo in the 1960s. Still active until the mid 1970s. Passed away in 1994.

Vincenzo DiLeonardo- Known as Jimmy. Born in Bisacquino Sicily in 1880. Moved to the United States in the 1900s. Was close to the D'Aquila family. Lived in Brooklyn. Grandfather to Michael DiLeonardo. Remained in the D'Aquila crew his whole life until he died in 1971 serving under Garafalo.

Joseph Silesi. Born in NYC in 1896. Lived in Manhattan. Big in the gambling and union labor trade. Was made in the 1920s. Was in the same crew as Vincent Jimmy The Blond Corrao. 1945 was part of the Tony Anastasio crew. Moved to Cuba in the late 1940s to run gambling enterprises on the island for Albert Anastasia. Had a house in Cuba and Florida. Once Castro took over in Cuba, moved to Florida where he became a Capo with only a few soldiers while the rest of the members who were in different crews that lived in Florida part time of the year had to report to him as well. This why people believed he had a bigger crew than he really had, but he only had at least three soldiers and the rest just reported to him while they were in Florida. Forced into retirement in 1969, many believe it was 1967 after Altamura was killed, but information from informants said he was still capo in 1968. Stayed close to Trafficante until he died in 1987.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1000367
11/24/20 04:49 PM
11/24/20 04:49 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Fantastic. I just have one more batch of names then I'll stop being a pain in the arse lol

Olympio "Lilo" Garofalo
Joe" The Wop" Gennaro
Joseph "Gus" Colozzo
Anthony Rizzo
Vicent "Jimmy the Blonde" Corrao
Edward "Eddie Ottawa" Consalvo
Michael " Mike Talley" Caiazza

If not those guys, anyone that interests you during this time that you do have info on, would be appreciated. From there we can further analyze this crew

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000402
11/25/20 01:57 AM
11/25/20 01:57 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
I already posted Anthony Rizzo.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000403
11/25/20 04:10 AM
11/25/20 04:10 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Giuseppe Gennaro- also known as Joe the Wop, Mr. Russo, Pete Russo, Prince of Mulberry St. Born in NYC in 1910. Lived in Manhattan. Involved with Vito and Michael Genovese in his teens before joining up with the Gambino family. After 1931 was in the same crew that Vincent Corrao was in. Involved in gambling and narcotics. Made in the late 1940s. Secret owner of a half a dozen nightclubs, secret partner in a number of stills. Put into Squillante crew in the early 1950s. Took over part of the Squillante crew after Vincent Squillante was killed. Became a force and power, that Gambino made James Failla capo over part of the crew who he trusted to keep Gennaro in check. Died in 1968, crew absorbed into Corrao, Failla, and Sedotto crews.

Vincent Corrao- also known as Jimmy the Blonde, Vincent Carreria. Born in NYC in 1909. Lived in Manhattan until 1940 then moved to Brooklyn. Arrests are recieving stolen goods, conviction for FNL. Close to top people in the Lucchese and Genovese crime family. Own property and a cafe in Manhattan, owned a trucking company in Queens. Both of his sons were made into the Gambino family. Became capo when "The Old Man" died, one of Manganos last picked before he disappeared. Passed away in 1976 and his son Joe succeeded him.

The rest just tidbits of info. Olympio Garafalo know as Lillo took over DiCarlo crew until he died in 1986. Michael Caiazza became capo when Dellacroce was made underboss.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000886
12/05/20 04:58 AM
12/05/20 04:58 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Stephen Armone- also known as 14th St. Steve. Born in Palermo Sicily in 1899. Came to America in 1906 and grew up in Lower Eastside Manhattan. Made during the Castellammarese War. Brother to both Joe and Al. Became capo over Biondo crew when Biondo was promoted to Consigliere. Arrests include petty larceny 1918, Assault and Battery, Assault and battery to kill, narcotics, burglary. Was a major narcotics smuggler and distributor with Gambino soldier Arnold Romano. Served jail time in 1935. Associates, Arnold Romano, Joe Biondo, Joe Armone, Al Armone, Frank Alberti, Andrew Alberti, Anthony Strollo, Joe Valachi, the Tramaglinos, Charles Albero, and Joe Marone. Close to the Alberti family and visited their bakery. One of the plotters in the Anastasia hit. Suddenly died in 1960 and Dongarro took over his crew.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1000890
12/05/20 07:49 AM
12/05/20 07:49 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Do you have any info on Anthony Romano or the D'alessio brothers?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001007
12/07/20 10:15 AM
12/07/20 10:15 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
I think a strictly mob oriented bio should be considered by NYM, on Paul Castellano. So much credence is given to his personal shortcomings that his business prowess and lesser recognized underbelly get lossed in the sauce. I believe he is of interest. Maybe a fireside chat vid in the future??? (I know they have to let the Gambinos breath for awhile)

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001032
12/08/20 02:47 AM
12/08/20 02:47 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Anthony Romano- also known as Allie Boy, Arnold Romano. Born in 1914. Lived in Lower Eastside. Arrests for narcotics, extortion, carrying a firearm in city limits, destruction of property. Frequented Rex Tavern of Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey, and Miami. Associated with the 107th street crew before joining up with Joe Biondo crew. Made in the 1950s. Known associates, Joe Biondo, Stephen Armone, Joe Armone, Joe N. Gallo, Patrick Russo of Chicago, Al Criscuolo, Anthony Criscuolo, Joe D'Ercole, Anthony Strollo, Michael Genovese, Cassandros Bonasera, Cosmo Frasca, Natale Evola, Nunzio Romano (relative), Eugene Tramaglino, Victor Tramaglino, and John Ormento. Little info on him, had a beef with Joe N. Gallo, on the dead by 1975 list.

Of the D'Alessio brothers, John became a capo in the Gambino family and was heavy in the drug trade till Big Paul gave a warning while taking the money. John passed away in 94, while Alex passed away in the 2000s, Michael passed away in the early 1970s and there is some debate if Micheal was made or not. There is some evidence that their father Michael was an early Gambino member. Dominick another brother was not made and was a lawyer considered an in house counsel for his brothers and Uncle Alexander DiBrizzi. They lived on Staten Island, John Taking over DiBrizzi businesses and territories when DiBrizzi retired to Mississippi. They Knew Lucky Luciano, Anthony Strollo, Mangano brothers, Anastasia brothers, Joe Lanza, and Joe Riccobono. John D'Alessio is said to have been a rival to the Riccobonos, First with Joe, and Later in the 70s and 80s with John Riccobono. John D'Alessio was displeased that Scotto got more perks than him and was viewed more favorably by Paul Castellano. John is said to have been forced in retirement by Castellano after Alex DeBrizzi passed away in 1980. The D'Alessio controlled most of Staten Island while Riccobono controlled the rest with influence in Brooklyn and New Jersey. Alexander D'Alessio was active till after John passed away and the Gottis were in power, he was no fan of John or Peter, and made a remark about Junior.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001041
12/08/20 09:34 AM
12/08/20 09:34 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Interesting. Its important to see the connection and succession wiithin a Family.

One observation: Paul Castellano made a mistake many of the Sicilian bosses do. He leverage his power to keep people down. He could have created an alley, that maybe would have saved his life, instead, he put them on the shelf. There is always crews in a large family that get lossed in the sauce, the prudent move is to put some money on the street, cultivate good will and make allies.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001054
12/08/20 04:31 PM
12/08/20 04:31 PM
M
Mustard Offline
Mustard
Mustard  Offline
Mustard
M
Wiseguy
Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
Fantastic. I just have one more batch of names then I'll stop being a pain in the arse lol

Olympio "Lilo" Garofalo
Joe" The Wop" Gennaro
Joseph "Gus" Colozzo
Anthony Rizzo
Vicent "Jimmy the Blonde" Corrao
Edward "Eddie Ottawa" Consalvo
Michael " Mike Talley" Caiazza

If not those guys, anyone that interests you during this time that you do have info on, would be appreciated. From there we can further analyze this crew

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001055
12/08/20 04:32 PM
12/08/20 04:32 PM
M
Mustard Offline
Mustard
Mustard  Offline
Mustard
M
Wiseguy
Mike tally was in neils crew. Got shelved would love more info on who was in his crew ?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001069
12/08/20 08:45 PM
12/08/20 08:45 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Any info on:
Michael "Mike Talley" Caiazza
Diego "Papa Dave" Amodeo
Joseph "Gus" Colozzo
Lilo Garofalo
Salvatore "Toto" Settimo

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001176
12/11/20 05:39 AM
12/11/20 05:39 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Diego Amodeo- Papa Dave. Born in Palermo Sicily in 1893. Moved to the states. Brother in law to Frank Scalise. A bootlegger, gambler, and involved in the garbage business. Made in the late 1920s. Lived in the Bronx. Long time soldier in the Scalise crew. Ran a butcher shop where a few victims disappeared. Inherited some businesses from Scalise after Frank was killed. Became Capo when Arthur Leo passed away in 1965. Stepped down in 1974, with Napolitano taking over. Associates, the Scalises, the Scarpullas, the Gambinos, Nino Gaggi, Arthur Leo, Tony Scotto, Frank Piccolo, Anthony Napolitano, Louis Ricco, Anthony Sedotto, Joe Lucchese, Neil Migliore, Tony Salerno, Frank Profaci, and Char Luciano. Passes away in 1984.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001232
12/12/20 03:51 AM
12/12/20 03:51 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Michael Caiazza- known as Mike Talley. Born in 1912. Lived on Richmond Staten Island. Frequented Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Made in the 1950s, his sponsor was Dellacroce. Into counterfeiting until Albert Anastasia gave him an ultimatum, stop or die, ran a dice game on 3rd Avenue until being promoted to Capo and passed it on to Ettore DeCurtis. Involved in hijacking, and vending machines. Owned bakeries on 3rd Avenue in Brooklyn. Associates, the Dellacroces, Ettore and Guido DeCurtis, Tommy Rava, Anthony Rizzo, the Faticos, Anthony Ruggiano, Stefano Cannone, Paul Vario, Salvatore Aurello, Dominick Napolitano, Nick Forlano, and Vincent Russo. He was promoted over Dellacroce crew in 1965, and was demoted in 1985 by Dellacroce for consulting with Castellano on who should replace him. Joe LaForte Sr replaced him. Members in his crew during those years part of them that are confirmed made, Ettore and Guido DeCurtis, Mike Cirelli ( Ravenite tape were done in his former apartment), Giacomo Morelli, Carmine Dellacroce, Frank and Joe Barranca, Ed Consalv(Transferred into the crew), Vincent Yacono Sr, Joe Bisogno, Mike Catalano, and William Cottone(Transferred into the crew). Believed to have tipped off the feds to Cirelli's apartment where Gotti and company had their talks. Passed away in 1994.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001233
12/12/20 04:16 AM
12/12/20 04:16 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Edward Consalvo- known as Eddie Ottawa and Rocco. Born in 1920. Lived in Manhattan. Made in the mid 1950s, was a member of Squillante crew, then remained in Gennaro crew until Giuseppe died in 1968, and was transferred to Mike Talley crew. Had connections to Ottawa and Montreal, hence the nickname Eddie Ottawa. Associates, Vincent Squillante, Joe Gennaro, Michael Caiazza, John and Giacomo Scalise,
Phil Attardi, Jimmy Amato, Mike Consalvo, Paul Volpe of Toronto, John Papalia of Hamilton, and Joe Cotroni of Montreal.Suspended sentence for untaxed alchohol. Suspected in small scale narcotics, bookmaking, grand larceny. Known as a smooth driver. Related to the Bonannos Consalvos, may be related to Carmine and Frank Consalvo. Moved to Richmond Staten Island and transferred into Michael Caiazza crew. Died in 1981.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001311
12/13/20 02:26 PM
12/13/20 02:26 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

@Giacomo_Vacari
Anything on FRANCESCO ALIVENTI, ANTHONY COPPOLA, GIOSUE MELI, ARTHUR TORTARELLO or PETER SAVIO???

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 12/13/20 09:38 PM.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029809
02/11/22 07:33 PM
02/11/22 07:33 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Fat Andy Ruggiano' son Anthony spoke about after the Anastasia hit, his loyalist (led by Tommy Rava and Neil Dellacroce) were going to have a peace meeting at Grand Central Station. But they were gonna hit Don Carlo there. The wily Gambino didn't show up but sent a proxy instead. Anthony said his father only spoke of the person who showed up as "The Old Man" or the "Old Timer". The question is, Do anyone know who this could've been???

My guess would be someone who was apart of the establishment of the Family. It had to be someone with that level of respect to assure them of their safety under Gambino.

I say either "Toto Chirico" Chiri or Joe "The Peasant" Traina.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029827
02/12/22 04:50 AM
02/12/22 04:50 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Either is a good pick, but with what we know about both and Giuseppe Traina had served as a peacekeeper numerous times. I'll put my money on it being Traina, that is a guy who could have been boss if he wanted it, he even turned down the underboss position twice for two different bosses and remained a capo.

Salvatore Settimo- known as Toto, Sam, and Sal. Born in Palermo Sicily in 1900. Came to the United States in 1923, sources say 1913, but some of his cohorts didn't show up until after 1920, so 1923 is the most accurate date cor his arrival. Lived in Little Italy and LES. Made during the castellammare war. Related to Salvatore and Carlo Calagna, Mimi Limandri. Arrested for Concealed weapon, counterfeiting, forgery. Moved to Brooklyn and hooked up with the Gambino brothers. Worked at Carrol Paper Products which was owned by Carlo Gambino. Involved in Narcotics, a master Forger and counterfeiter. Carlo and Paolo personal document maker. Moved to Long Island. Numerous associates, Carlo and Paolo Gambino, Steve Armone, Carmine Locascio, Tommy and Pat Eboli, Carmine Galante, Michael Genovese (New York), and Paul Vario. Big in the Narcotics trade, had strong connections to Sicily. Not a heavy, great earner. Died in 1975.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029829
02/12/22 04:58 AM
02/12/22 04:58 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Peter Savio- known. As per born in 1888. Made in Chicago, relocated to New York. Related to the Doto family. Was a bookmaker, close confidant of Albert Anastasia. Died in 1975.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1029848
02/12/22 12:34 PM
02/12/22 12:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Great info, guys! I'll add a personal note:

I spent some of my formative years in the Brownsville neighborhood of Brooklyn in the Fifties. I lived a block away from the candy store that had been Midnight Rose's, the HQ of Murder Inc. I actually worked in that candy store after school hours, but neither I nor the owners were aware of its grim history. Like most people in the pre-Valachi hearings era, we were unaware that there was a "National Syndicate of Organized Crime." But we knew about Anastasia. The newspapers attributed the murder of Arnold Schuster in 1952 to Albert A--probably what he intended--and people didn't feel safe in their homes (probably also what he intended). And, after "On the Waterfront" (1954), Tough Tony Anastasio, his brother, became a high-profile character throughout NY and NJ. One of my uncles, a reporter for the NY Post, tried to interview Tough Tony but was...uh...rebuffed.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029851
02/12/22 12:54 PM
02/12/22 12:54 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

Fat Andy Ruggiano' son Anthony spoke about after the Anastasia hit, his loyalist (led by Tommy Rava and Neil Dellacroce) were going to have a peace meeting at Grand Central Station. But they were gonna hit Don Carlo there. The wily Gambino didn't show up but sent a proxy instead. Anthony said his father only spoke of the person who showed up as "The Old Man" or the "Old Timer". The question is, Do anyone know who this could've been???

My guess would be someone who was apart of the establishment of the Family. It had to be someone with that level of respect to assure them of their safety under Gambino.

I don't take much of what Ruggiano . has to say as truth. Please don't take it personal, I just find his stories a bit tough to believe, especially that one. I think if they were out to kill Gambino and Dellacroce, they would have done it another time. Nothing ever happened, and thee sending of someone else would have been seen as an insult.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: jace] #1029853
02/12/22 02:19 PM
02/12/22 02:19 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Originally Posted by jace

I don't take much of what Ruggiano . has to say as truth. Please don't take it personal, I just find his stories a bit tough to believe, especially that one. I think if they were out to kill Gambino and Dellacroce, they would have done it another time. Nothing ever happened, and thee sending of someone else would have been seen as an insult.

Personally I do believe it happened. Whether or not he added extra about them plotting on clipping Carlo is another thing. I think you underestimate the chess moves of these people. Sammy the Bull said "Bosses are the elites of the bad guys".
It wouldn't be seen as an insult if you send the right person. In real life, there are things that books/articles/FBI files cannot account for. And also some of the lesser known people carried more weight then we realize. If I send a guy who is a old timer (in the eyes of Rava and Dellacroce it would have to be someone who was from the 20s and 30s) that you respect to mediate, you'll be more receptive. And you're still talking about Murdur Inc. Disciples.
The scenario is very plausible.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: chin_gigante] #1029863
02/12/22 04:57 PM
02/12/22 04:57 PM
T
TonyBombassolo Offline
Banned
TonyBombassolo  Offline
Banned
T
Made Member
Originally Posted by chin_gigante

SM: Wait a minute! We appointed him provisionally and, then, later the "borgata" made him. Carlo Gambino was made by the "borgata", not by the Commission.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=127672&search=%22Gambino%22_and+%22consigliere%22#relPageId=84&tab=page

Does Maggadino come off as anything other than a bitter, jealous piece of shit anywhere? I think Bonanno was a bit of a pompous ass when he constantly complained about Maggadino being jealous of him, but everything I've seen or read supports JB.

I've been revisting all the singularly sourced information in the Chicago informant stuff and its pretty obvious that anything thats uncorroborated (like Maggadino's constant bitching here) is suspect. He is constantly overstating his own importance.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029894
02/13/22 10:55 AM
02/13/22 10:55 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Frank Aliventi- Known as Frankie Fish born in 1903. Lived in Brooklyn. Worked in the fish market as a teen, accused of theft of a crate of fish. Hooked up with Frankie Yale, and Michele Abbatemarco. Detained but released while Cosmo Franco was arrested for narcotics. Married Michele Abbatemarco widow after he was killed. Yale was killed, his crew was split up between the families, with him joining the Gambino family.
Made during the Castellammare war, served as a bodyguard to Stefano Ferringo. Little is known about him after Ferringo was killed in 1930. Identified as a member of Carmine Lombardozzi crew, known for burglary, extortion, and labor strikes. Had a role on the docks, but no union documentation, seems to hang around the docks. Known associates, the Franco brothers, Anastasia brothers, Carmine Lombardozzi, Pat Corbi (Baltimore), Anthony Carafano, Frank Gagliardi, Mario Gargano, Carmelo LiConte, Vincent Crisalli, and Giovanni Giustra. Sponsored Charles LiConte son of Carmelo into the Gambino family. Died in 1970.

Giosue Meli- Known as Cook. Born in 1890. Emigrated to US in 1910s. Very little is known about him. Lived in Manhattan and ran a restaurant. Known as a bookie. Related to the Amodeo and Scarpulla families. Was in attendance at Tommy Gambino wedding. Served in Garofalo crew. Died in 1973.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1029898
02/13/22 11:12 AM
02/13/22 11:12 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Finally found Anthony Vanella, sorry for the wait.

Anthony Vanella- Known as Tony The Trucker, Big Tony. Born in NYC 1894, and lived in Manhattan. Guy spent most of his time locked up, but when he was not, he was a street guy. Involved in Bootlegging, hijacking liquor trucks, armed robbery numerous parole violations which had in going in and out of prison for 30+ years. Known associates Joe Biondo, Stefano Armone, Dominic Acuri, Joe Lanza, Anthony Strollo, Thomas Greco, Pat Conte, and Joe Riccobono. After his release in 1946, he never served time again, moved to Staten Island in 1947 and was with Joe Riccobono crew. Involved in the garment industry after his release. Moved to Queens sometime in the 1960s, and died in 1971.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull