GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, Lou_Para), 330 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,663
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #997904
10/07/20 09:52 PM
10/07/20 09:52 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
I don't think there's any really Italian neighborhoods to speak of anymore. So Italian Americans in general live spread out among other (mostly white) ethnic groups. A lot of people from Brooklyn moved to suburban housing developments in Manalapan NJ area, I would think a few of them are probably connected.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: DanteMoltisanti] #997938
10/08/20 02:09 PM
10/08/20 02:09 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by DanteMoltisanti
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Cherry Hill N.J.is where alot of Philly wiseguys hang their hat @ nite...my daughter lives there & complains about the always nosy jewish population....but...on the other hand.. she say's the younger Italians r very nice 2 her...& she lives in a high mortgage neighborhood She knows of a few fella's who r connected...Mrs. Staino is 1 of her neighbors.

Hood, there isn’t a Mrs Staino anymore. There are two former Mrs Staino’s with the latest ex wife being the Asian one who cuts hair in South Philly. She was the one whose hair salon in South Philly was famously held up by Vietnamese thugs about ten years ago around Christmas time if I recall correctly.

I stand corrected..daughter said "Dad , I aint seen her in ages get w/ ur shit" LOL...oops.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998185
10/13/20 04:12 PM
10/13/20 04:12 PM
G
Giacomo Offline
Made Member
Giacomo  Offline
G
Made Member
North of the city in lower Westchester, there's a fair number of guys who own or owned big houses in Bronxville, Scarsdale, New Rochelle, including Barney Bellomo and Stephen Crea Jr., and there have been a couple of busts in New Rochelle for loan-sharking rings operating out of the local bars.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Fleming_Ave] #998205
10/13/20 11:10 PM
10/13/20 11:10 PM
L
Lenox Offline
Underboss
Lenox  Offline
L
Underboss
Originally Posted by Fleming_Ave
I don't think there's any really Italian neighborhoods to speak of anymore. So Italian Americans in general live spread out among other (mostly white) ethnic groups. A lot of people from Brooklyn moved to suburban housing developments in Manalapan NJ area, I would think a few of them are probably connected.

Manalapan, marlboro, freehold, matawan, old bridge.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998212
10/14/20 08:02 AM
10/14/20 08:02 AM
N
Njein Offline
Capo
Njein  Offline
N
Capo
Ducktown in AC anybody?

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998227
10/14/20 11:16 AM
10/14/20 11:16 AM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
I'm confused, are you guys naming Italian communities or "mobbed up" communities. Because I hate to difer with some of you but there are mostly Italian communities listed previously, they aren't mobbed up. If they were there'd be a whole lot more mobsters now than in the 80s it would seem.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Njein] #998239
10/14/20 03:20 PM
10/14/20 03:20 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
Originally Posted by Njein
Ducktown in AC anybody?

The only thing Italian in the Ducktown section of AC are the Italian owned and operated businesses.

There’s no Italians left actually living in Ducktown, none. It’s mostly all Spanish now with a few Bangledeshi/Indian/Pakistani and others who are foreign born mixed in. No Italians left except for the businesses and the people who work in the businesses.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998243
10/14/20 03:48 PM
10/14/20 03:48 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

In truth there are very few "Mobbed-Up" areas, if any.

There are many neighborhoods around the city and in the suburbs that still maintain a heavy ethnic Italian flavor, but I don't know that I'd call that "mobbed-up". Do a few wiseguys live in the various areas? For sure.

But the true mobbed-up areas like East Harlem, Morris Park, Bensonhurst, Bayridge, Corona, Astoria, etc., of yesteryear is largely gone.

It's a different world today. And I don't imagine any of that's coming back anytime soon. It is a bygone era of the "old days".... and most of its gone the way of the Model-T Ford, and the cowboys and Indians of the old west. Fun to watch on TV, and read about. But its passe'

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998281
10/15/20 08:54 AM
10/15/20 08:54 AM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
That’s my point of view exactly nymafia, that’s why I questioned the towns mentioned above. Like I said before many times and maintain now this site is more a history lesson and less a current events blog. Which is fine by me, I just don’t pretend the good old days are anything more than that. Btw you can blame the kennedys for this but that’s another point

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: majicrat] #998313
10/15/20 09:47 PM
10/15/20 09:47 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
Originally Posted by majicrat
That’s my point of view exactly nymafia, that’s why I questioned the towns mentioned above. Like I said before many times and maintain now this site is more a history lesson and less a current events blog. Which is fine by me, I just don’t pretend the good old days are anything more than that. Btw you can blame the kennedys for this but that’s another point

Out of curiosity, Where are you from?

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998334
10/16/20 04:45 PM
10/16/20 04:45 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Born and raised On Long Island where I lived for over 35 years, family in Valley Stream and Rosedale, past 20 years in New Jersey.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: majicrat] #998347
10/16/20 08:02 PM
10/16/20 08:02 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
majicrat............ yes, the kennedys were the cause of a lot of damage to the mob, joe valachi did a lot more damage to the mob, than anyone wants to admit.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Binnie_Coll] #998349
10/16/20 09:08 PM
10/16/20 09:08 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Binnie_Coll
majicrat............ yes, the kennedys were the cause of a lot of damage to the mob, joe valachi did a lot more damage to the mob, than anyone wants to admit.

Wiseguys hated that Bobby Kennedy, more than his brother. John was all in all have complacent with the mob. But his brother Bobby became a ballbuster, and went out of his way to hurt guys.

This is after their father old man Joe Kennedy pled to his wiseguy friends to please help swing Illinois and a few other locations in his sons favor at the polling booths. This was said Mohave been pivotal to John Kennedy's taking the WH. The Kennedy boys were told to lay off by their dad afterwards. What did they do? The completely went the other way on Cosa Nostra, and made the Kennedy's #1 target after that. They started the Senate Hearings, the Strike Forces in key cities, the ramped up the Justice Dept., etc.etc...... What the FUCK they had in their stupid minds to even think they could get away with double-banking the bosses we'll never know!

You make a major handshake agreement, you accept all their help. You achieve your goal with their assistance and gain the presidency. Then you spit directly in their faces and renege on that deal? .... as if thats not already way bad enough, you then go out of your way and make a complete 360, and attack them with everything you got?

What there hell did you think was gonna happen? Did these 2 brothers really think the mob would just completely sit back and do nothing? Not seek any revenge on such an important and "do or die" result? At the very height of Cosa Nostra's power in this country you try and completely destroy them? It was a matter of self-survival.

John ended up getting clipped!.... and Bobby thereafter lost all his power, only too be later assassinated himself years later.

The funny part, and the sad part about it all is that it really didn't have to be that way....the rest is consigned to history.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: majicrat] #998353
10/16/20 09:18 PM
10/16/20 09:18 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Born and raised On Long Island where I lived for over 35 years, family in Valley Stream and Rosedale, past 20 years in New Jersey.

Both those neighborhoods had a lot of Italians years back. Tony the Gawk lived on Hendrickson Avenue for years in VS.There were a few other guys lived there as well, and neighborhoods close by there.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998360
10/16/20 11:58 PM
10/16/20 11:58 PM
L
Lenox Offline
Underboss
Lenox  Offline
L
Underboss
The house Henry Hill lived in when it was was raided for drugs was in valley stream.

Last edited by Lenox; 10/17/20 12:44 AM.
Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998373
10/17/20 06:29 PM
10/17/20 06:29 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
I know all about Valley Stream and Rosedale I ran around both places in the early 70s to 80. I don’t usually post personal info but I was asked by Dante where I was from I answered. Both those areas and MOST not all the other past hot bed locations are no longer hot beds of mobsters simply because the mob is not what it was. They still may have Italians but that doesn’t make them mob hotbeds. Oh and I’m in nj now for the past twenty years and very aware of what’s going on here. Very few if any hot beds to speak of. Italians yes, hit beds no. A few mobsters here and there. May be our definition of hot beds is the real difference. Lastly, don’t forget that the kennedys were also behind the immigration law of 1965 which effectively slowed and now today just about has eliminated the immigration of all Western Europeans. Thereby eliminating Italian immigrant communities, the tightness of it, and the farm system of recruits.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: majicrat] #998374
10/17/20 07:08 PM
10/17/20 07:08 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I know all about Valley Stream and Rosedale I ran around both places in the early 70s to 80. I don’t usually post personal info but I was asked by Dante where I was from I answered. Both those areas and MOST not all the other past hot bed locations are no longer hot beds of mobsters simply because the mob is not what it was. They still may have Italians but that doesn’t make them mob hotbeds. Oh and I’m in nj now for the past twenty years and very aware of what’s going on here. Very few if any hot beds to speak of. Italians yes, hit beds no. A few mobsters here and there. May be our definition of hot beds is the real difference. Lastly, don’t forget that the kennedys were also behind the immigration law of 1965 which effectively slowed and now today just about has eliminated the immigration of all Western Europeans. Thereby eliminating Italian immigrant communities, the tightness of it, and the farm system of recruits.

I have to largely agree with you. There are a lot of heavily Italian neighborhoods today, but not "mobbed-up" per se. I grew up in several NYC neighborhoods back in the 1960s-1970s that were considered hotbeds of all the families. Hotbeds! .... you couldn't drive through the area without seeing clusters of goodfellas on nearly every corner. a bunch of social clubs where they ran dice and steady card games daily. Bars, restaurants, little cafes where all the crews hung out.

Today? LOl... I drive into the area, park, and go see who I wanna go see. But I gotta search em out. There are a few spots where friends still hang. But if you're not in the know, then you wouldn't know!

And MOST connected guys actually live in the suburbs of LI, Westchester, and Jersey. Most of the fellas who are still residing within the 5-boros is because they are not earning. Don't get me wrong, there are still fellas who you'd consider to have plenty of wood who live in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, etc. But the vast majority (if they made money) got their wife and kids out of the shit.

Most of these areas that we came from, grew up in (and loved), are long gone. The demographics as we knew it are very different than yesteryear. Not to be prejudice or racists, but most people feel more comfortable with their own kind (people who knew them when, and are familiar with the same old Italian customs, etc). These areas today are mostly bullshit. Either all fucked up like its the United Nations, Yeppified, or a completely changed area. Many have a much higher crime rate, etc.

NO more cafes, Italian bakeries, and latticini's, no more old Italians sitting on the stoops waving hello, no more stickball in the street or handball against the brickwall, no more Italian Feast days and celebrations. Why would we stay?

These areas, and the folks who live in them, don't value our customs. And as far as the wiseguys go, the "street action" is not even around these areas anymore. Everything as we knew it is vastly reduced and different.

They told us it was "progress". Lol..... Ho Hum!.... so much for progress.

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/17/20 07:12 PM.
Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998401
10/18/20 07:04 AM
10/18/20 07:04 AM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Nymafia exactly and well said. The above post is exactly how I grew up but only a decade later. Great memories.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998402
10/18/20 07:06 AM
10/18/20 07:06 AM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Btw when were kids we’d go to Green Acres strip mall, and you could see all kinds of stuff going down if you knew what you were seeing. For some reason and I only can assume due to location it was a busy meeting location

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: majicrat] #998405
10/18/20 08:38 AM
10/18/20 08:38 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Btw when were kids we’d go to Green Acres strip mall, and you could see all kinds of stuff going down if you knew what you were seeing. For some reason and I only can assume due to location it was a busy meeting location

Because the mall was virtually on the Queens/LI border, it attracted a lot of guys. The police even documented a young Baldo Amato and Ceaser Bonventre making a drug exchange in the parking lot one evening. Another time their was a pass-off of counterfeit money between guys.

It's funny that you say that, because there used to be a very good Chinese restaurant in that mall that I frequented a few times. Come to think of it, the two times I was eating there I bumped into wiseguys I knew from back in the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens. They were there eating too.

In truth a lot of guys used to live in the towns close around there so thats another reason for guys going there, not so much mob business IMO... The food was just very good. Lol........ wiseguys typically love Chinese food.

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998410
10/18/20 10:36 AM
10/18/20 10:36 AM
L
Lenox Offline
Underboss
Lenox  Offline
L
Underboss
Not only do the people in those neighborhoods today not have values the italians had, they dont seem to value much of anything. I hate to say it but its true. Almost all of those neighborhoods turned to garbage. It was never like that when the italians lived there. Many of those neighborhoods were low income but were very safe and despite poverty, kept up very well because the italians had pride in their neighborhoods.
The Italians seemed to have a “ no excuses no sense of entitlement” mentality.

Last edited by Lenox; 10/18/20 10:41 AM.
Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Lenox] #998411
10/18/20 11:09 AM
10/18/20 11:09 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Lenox
Not only do the people in those neighborhoods today not have values the italians had, they dont seem to value much of anything. I hate to say it but its true. Almost all of those neighborhoods turned to garbage. It was never like that when the italians lived there. Many of those neighborhoods were low income but were very safe and despite poverty, kept up very well because the italians had pride in their neighborhoods.
The Italians seemed to have a “ no excuses no sense of entitlement” mentality.

Yes, agreed.

Even straight out neighborhoods that were considered "Italian ghettos" like East Harlem around Pleasant Avenue, First and Second Avenues were poor sections of town, yet the streets were extremely clean, everybody's stoop was swept, the neighborhood was chock full of thriving storefronts offering; Italian groceries, barbershops, cleaners, bars, cafes, restaurants, produce markets, fresh fish stores, candy stores, luncheonettes, florists, pharmacies, etc., etc.

All those type Italian areas whether it be Harlem, Mulberry street, Downtown Brooklyn, Bensonhurst, etc., had a lot of pride for their neighborhoods. And it made all the difference in the world growing up. I remember that I had a lot of respect and reverence for our neighbors, their property, and our area in general. Most others I know felt the exact same way.

Ya know when the same families, the same surnames, the same faces, remain in one area decade and decade you get to know each other. It becomes like one big extended family. And you watch out for each other.

In 99% of ALL inner city neighborhoods today most of your neighbors are strangers to you. You, or they, only moved to the area a few years earlier and most don't have intimate ties to the area. That generally can have a negative effect. But in the poor area generally has a devastating effect.

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/18/20 11:09 AM.
Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: NYMafia] #998416
10/18/20 01:31 PM
10/18/20 01:31 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
I have a sense most agree with me then, there may be Italian enclaves but very few mobbed up communities left esp. outside nyc, maybe Boston, s. Philly and Cicero, I’ll. The rest not in my opinion. I flatly disagree about ANY location mentioned in nj as “mobbed up”. Italian yes, mobbed up, no

Re: MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: majicrat] #998417
10/18/20 03:02 PM
10/18/20 03:02 PM
B
barry Offline
Made Member
barry  Offline
B
Made Member
Money avenue = Sunrise Highway

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull