GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 302 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,564
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,036
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,515
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,363
Posts1,059,355
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel #996694
09/08/20 06:40 PM
09/08/20 06:40 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel

Georgie Blah-Blah was a Mafia gunman and killer plain and simple...a very capable and trusted gunsel at that.

An intimate of both the notorious Vito Genovese and his loyal sidekick Mike Miranda, Smurra was there for all the blood and guts action.

Despite this, he mostly lived low key and died quietly after many years of mob service.

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/george-smurra/

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #996696
09/08/20 06:58 PM
09/08/20 06:58 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by NYMafia
George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel

Georgie Blah-Blah was a Mafia gunman and killer plain and simple...a very capable and trusted gunsel at that.

An intimate of both the notorious Vito Genovese and his loyal sidekick Mike Miranda, Smurra was there for all the blood and guts action.

Despite this, he mostly lived low key and died quietly after many years of mob service.

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/george-smurra/

This was a little extra surprise bonus today, for me as well as the forum. My partner had started this bio awhile ago, and she surprised me just now by telling me it's finally complete. I think she did a good job. I'm sure you guys are gonna enjoy it.

Last edited by NYMafia; 09/08/20 10:11 PM.
Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #996702
09/08/20 09:04 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Was he father of short lived colombo soldier hank the bank smurra. Must be some relationship

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #996703
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

That last name isn't to common

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: pmac] #996705
09/08/20 09:43 PM
09/08/20 09:43 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by pmac
Was he father of short lived colombo soldier hank the bank smurra. Must be some relationship

He definitely wasn't the father of Hank the Bank as he only had that one son, Ambrose. He had a brother named Henry, but I don't know if his brother was Hank the Bank. I don't think so because in one source I found, there was no mention of that and not even in any other articles. But again, I can't be positive. I'll leave that to the other guy who has a much more vast knowledge of things than myself.

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #996706
09/08/20 10:16 PM
09/08/20 10:16 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by pmac

He definitely wasn't the father of Hank the Bank as he only had that one son, Ambrose. He had a brother named Henry, but I don't know if his brother was Hank the Bank. I don't think so because in one source I found, there was no mention of that and not even in any other articles. But again, I can't be positive. I'll leave that to the other guy who has a much more vast knowledge of things than myself.

The fact that his brothers name was "Henry" and Hank the Bank's real first name was Henry also, is just way too much of a coincidence for me. Especially that both Smurra's come out of Brooklyn as well.

And you right pmac, Smurra is a rare surname. So between his first AND last name being rare for Italians, we have to assume that Henry (Hank the Bank) Smurra was probably Georgie's nephew. Most likely the son of his brother Henry.

I'd be very surprised if there was no connection between the two.

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #1003813
01/27/21 06:04 PM
01/27/21 06:04 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
Hey all

I was "with " Hank the Bank so I can tell u he was the nephew of George "Blah Blah " Smurra (Genovese) even though they were in different families. Hank even had to switch from Black Sam's Crew to Greg Scarpa's crew to get made in Colombo family . Hank was a good guy and even was a bouncer at Brown Derby and Players Club off Shore Parkway (where he once encountered and straightened out Junior Gotti I can elaborate if anyone wants to know that story) . RIP Hank.

Another character from my days was Cowboy who was once with Toddo Marino a Genovese capo , another was Buster a Gambino Associate and a third was the always well dressed and bodyguarded Philly Dogs Mazza a Gambino Soldier .

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: tonyflash] #1003815
01/27/21 06:19 PM
01/27/21 06:19 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by tonyflash
Hey all

I was "with " Hank the Bank so I can tell u he was the nephew of George "Blah Blah " Smurra (Genovese) even though they were in different families. Hank even had to switch from Black Sam's Crew to Greg Scarpa's crew to get made in Colombo family . Hank was a good guy and even was a bouncer at Brown Derby and Players Club off Shore Parkway (where he once encountered and straightened out Junior Gotti I can elaborate if anyone wants to know that story) . RIP Hank.

Another character from my days was Cowboy who was once with Toddo Marino a Genovese capo , another was Buster a Gambino Associate and a third was the always well dressed and bodyguarded Philly Dogs Mazza a Gambino Soldier .

I'm intrigued by the junior Gotti story? What happened?

And who is Philly Dogs???

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #1003841
01/27/21 08:56 PM
01/27/21 08:56 PM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Some good info about George Blair in The Luparelli Tapes

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: tonyflash] #1003842
01/27/21 08:58 PM
01/27/21 08:58 PM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Hey all

Mazza or Mazzara?

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: ColonelReb] #1003917
01/29/21 01:17 PM
01/29/21 01:17 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
His real name was Mazzara but we called him Philly Dogs or Philly Mazza , he owned a company that trained attack dogs .

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1003918
01/29/21 01:32 PM
01/29/21 01:32 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
Junior comes into Players Club as a 19 or 20 year old with a bunch of buddies and they start getting rowdy , bartender asks them to keep it down , they start breaking glasses and stuff . Bartender goes to the back and wakes up Hank , he was there to help out if needed plus show a living for his probation officer but being he worked all day loan sharking , hustling swag and "slugs" which were counterfeit subway tokens and also "quarters" for the pay phones he was exhausted at midnight when this happened . So Hank comes out approaches the bunch and says he fellas u cant do this shit here ! Junior says my dad is John Gotti , u fat fuck I will do what the hell I want and kick your ass . Hank calmly says I'm with Don Cheech and your with Don Pepe but someone else owns this place , capiche ? Call your dad now and tell him where u r and Hank the Bank is asking u to leave . The Kid calls his dad (probably called the pay phone at the Bergin ) . He walks over to Hank when he is done , shakes his hand , kisses him on his cheek , says sorry Hank we didn't know .... and they all leave. The next weekend John Gotti comes in , hangs out for a bit with Hank and Rocky who owned the place and he had his people throw money around on the bar , bought people drinks and said 'U know kids " . Hank told him the kids got to know u don't destroy peoples property for fun without a monetary or "family" reason . Just not right . See John and Hank went way back and did a little time together .

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #1003935
01/29/21 06:07 PM
01/29/21 06:07 PM
I
ILGuy Offline
Associate
ILGuy  Offline
I
Associate
Great story, tonyflash. Thanks.

Keep em coming if you have more.

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: tonyflash] #1003964
01/30/21 06:11 PM
01/30/21 06:11 PM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Junior comes into Players Club as a 19 or 20 year old with a bunch of buddies and they start getting rowdy , bartender asks them to keep it down , they start breaking glasses and stuff . Bartender goes to the back and wakes up Hank , he was there to help out if needed plus show a living for his probation officer but being he worked all day loan sharking , hustling swag and "slugs" which were counterfeit subway tokens and also "quarters" for the pay phones he was exhausted at midnight when this happened . So Hank comes out approaches the bunch and says he fellas u cant do this shit here ! Junior says my dad is John Gotti , u fat fuck I will do what the hell I want and kick your ass . Hank calmly says I'm with Don Cheech and your with Don Pepe but someone else owns this place , capiche ? Call your dad now and tell him where u r and Hank the Bank is asking u to leave . The Kid calls his dad (probably called the pay phone at the Bergin ) . He walks over to Hank when he is done , shakes his hand , kisses him on his cheek , says sorry Hank we didn't know .... and they all leave. The next weekend John Gotti comes in , hangs out for a bit with Hank and Rocky who owned the place and he had his people throw money around on the bar , bought people drinks and said 'U know kids " . Hank told him the kids got to know u don't destroy peoples property for fun without a monetary or "family" reason . Just not right . See John and Hank went way back and did a little time together .

Larry Mazza said Hank was a good guy but that he would fall asleep anywhere. In the middle of a loud nightclub even.said black mike jumped out of hanks car to make a call. Hank fell asleep in the car while Mike was on the phone. That's when chicky snuck up on a sleeping hank and put the bank to sleep forever.

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: ColonelReb] #1003979
01/30/21 08:41 PM
01/30/21 08:41 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
Very true . Impressive that u know who Black Mike is . Do u know Buster ? Or Tommy from Brown Derby ? Hank was in a car that Louie "the lug" Lombardo (RIP) leased for him under his goomata Phyllis name . A Lincoln . Could tell some Louie stories .

Last edited by tonyflash; 01/30/21 08:46 PM.
Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: tonyflash] #1004009
01/31/21 02:30 PM
01/31/21 02:30 PM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Very true . Impressive that u know who Black Mike is . Do u know Buster ? Or Tommy from Brown Derby ? Hank was in a car that Louie "the lug" Lombardo (RIP) leased for him under his goomata Phyllis name . A Lincoln . Could tell some Louie stories .

Not personally. I've just researched this topic for over 2 decades now. It's was an 88 continental? Is it true that Hank was released from the Genovese family by the Idas ? Do you know why? Any stories you got I would love to hear.

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: ColonelReb] #1004318
02/04/21 03:00 PM
02/04/21 03:00 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
Never a big earner , Hank went bad as a result of letting deadbeats get away with not paying the vig and principle ( they gave him sob stories ) . His "bank" was the shylocks shylock Black Sam whom he paid back with huge interest and it took years working in the streets , as a bouncer etc so Genovese people saw no benefit to Hank being an associate with them and he was released to the Colombo family and Black Sam's crew . Later he went to the crew of Greg Scarpa and was made . The Ida's and Baldy Dom were at the sit down to release Hank .

A story :

We were walking on New Utrecht avenue and this Detective Ken McCabe approached us and says hey u guys have a nice lunch with Rosario Nastasa the other day ? Now we had no clue who he was talking about nor would we give him info anyway and of course he was trying to get us into conversation , but he pulls out a pic of us near El Greco Dinner in Sheepshead Bay (so obviously he was on surveillance ) . Thats Black Sam we say and not a crime to eat lunch there is it ? Hank was with Black Sam all his life and had no idea of his real name . The person we were meeting that day was probably who McCabe was tailing and that was Carmine "the Doctor" Lombardozzi .

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #1004321
02/04/21 03:28 PM
02/04/21 03:28 PM
Paris
M
Malavita Offline
Capo
Malavita  Offline
M
Capo
Paris
Great story Tony. Thanks for sharing that.

Why do you think he got his button ?

It seems that, during that period, a lot of people around Greg Scarpa were made (Carmine and Mike Sessa, Joe Brewster, Hank the Bank...).

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: tonyflash] #1004333
02/04/21 09:31 PM
02/04/21 09:31 PM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Never a big earner , Hank went bad as a result of letting deadbeats get away with not paying the vig and principle ( they gave him sob stories ) . His "bank" was the shylocks shylock Black Sam whom he paid back with huge interest and it took years working in the streets , as a bouncer etc so Genovese people saw no benefit to Hank being an associate with them and he was released to the Colombo family and Black Sam's crew . Later he went to the crew of Greg Scarpa and was made . The Ida's and Baldy Dom were at the sit down to release Hank .

A story :

We were walking on New Utrecht avenue and this Detective Ken McCabe approached us and says hey u guys have a nice lunch with Rosario Nastasa the other day ? Now we had no clue who he was talking about nor would we give him info anyway and of course he was trying to get us into conversation , but he pulls out a pic of us near El Greco Dinner in Sheepshead Bay (so obviously he was on surveillance ) . Thats Black Sam we say and not a crime to eat lunch there is it ? Hank was with Black Sam all his life and had no idea of his real name . The person we were meeting that day was probably who McCabe was tailing and that was Carmine "the Doctor" Lombardozzi .

What was the word on the street about the Sal Scarpa hit and the Colombo Families stance? He was in Vinny Sicilians crew at one time was that the same crew as Black Sam or a different one?

I've compiled a list of social clubs on a map. Any new locations you know of I would greatly appreciate. I need info from Street people.

Https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&ie=UTF&mid=1Fjmt9Xn58NZnBS8ALx8EFE9JT98&ll=40.60289605926231%2C-73.99320583147804&z=13

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #1004585
02/07/21 03:40 PM
02/07/21 03:40 PM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
There's a guy on YouTube claiming to be the shooter of Sally Burns

https://youtu.be/FaUk72u5_SQ

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: Malavita] #1004664
02/08/21 12:46 PM
02/08/21 12:46 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
Malavita , the Persico side was preparing for a war . BTW , we never called Carmine Persico "Snake" we called him Junior .

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: ColonelReb] #1004665
02/08/21 12:48 PM
02/08/21 12:48 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
Colonel Reb : Two different crews, Persicos didnt appreciate the Sal Scarpa hit . As for social club info , wow thats a list ! R u writing a book?

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: ColonelReb] #1004666
02/08/21 12:50 PM
02/08/21 12:50 PM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
This youtube guy with all his gold chains , is a wannabe actor type

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: tonyflash] #1004693
02/08/21 08:36 PM
02/08/21 08:36 PM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Colonel Reb : Two different crews, Persicos didnt appreciate the Sal Scarpa hit . As for social club info , wow thats a list ! R u writing a book?

Who did the Persicos suspect in the Sal Scarpa hit?

Yeah I call d him out as a fraud in the comments section. I could tell he was full of shit when he was talking about the Sally Burns hit. Then the Pope shit? Haha. So full of shit.

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: ColonelReb] #1005026
02/12/21 10:24 AM
02/12/21 10:24 AM
T
tonyflash Offline
Associate
tonyflash  Offline
T
Associate
Honestly not sure on the Sal Scarpa hit .

This you tube guy is claiming he planned Lufthansa with Meyer Lansky and transported 30 million in his car . He's lucky both sides of the law recognize him as fiction .

Re: George Smurra - Low-Key Genovese Gunsel [Re: NYMafia] #1005039
02/12/21 12:44 PM
02/12/21 12:44 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I'll give you a weird (but very plausible theory). I say that Greg Scarpa Sr. himself whacked out his brother Sal.

How do you like them apples?

Not that I have even one shred of evidence to confirm my thought. But knowing the depraved individual that Scarpa was. And the fact that he was hyper-vigilant about anyone finding out that he was a rat, or spreading that rumor to others.

My theory is that Sal discovered his brother was an informant. Greg was fearful that Sal would tell the Colombo administration his belief. So Greg killed his brother to silence him.

Because after Sal was murdered. Did you see any retribution from Greg over his beloved brothers death? NO. Did he even make any major attempt to find out who did it? NO.

So there ya go!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull