Some things I've been bouncing around in my head -- this forum seemed the best place to ask. Appreciate any insight anyone is able to give.
1. What would the day-to-day life be like for each rank in the mafia?
2. How would that day-to-day change if a mobster is made -- promoted to captain -- promoted to underboss/consigliere -- made boss?
3. What are the differences in the duties/functions/operations between an underboss and consigliere?
4. Would a captain keep running their crew day-to-day if they were promoted to underboss/consigliere? Does an underboss/consigliere still run a crew like a captain does/how does an underboss/consigliere make their money?
5. Is there a general idea of how kicking up money works? This article: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/the-five-families
-- indicates that each rank in the Gambino family under Gotti kicked up 20% to their boss with the underboss kicking up to Gotti. But if the underboss kicked up 20% of his kick up from the captains, wouldn't the underboss make more money than the boss?
6. How powerful is the Chicago Outfit these days?
7. What level of interaction would the Five Families have with Mexican cartels?
8. Has there ever been an American mafia boss that could rival the power/national influence/international reach of Pablo or Chapo (or Mayo Zambada if he always was the most powerful Sinaloa capo)?
9. Is there one mobster that would most often win 'most feared mobster in history' due to their violence or power they wielded -- or is it more a case of 'there's a lot, pick one'? I've read before that Chin was so powerful that mobsters abided his rule not to say his name, but I've also heard that the rest of the mafia laughed off his name decree.
10. What's the best estimates for the sizes of each of the mafia families in the States and Canada today? What about the biggest/most powerful families/clans for the different Italian OC groups?
11. Have any of the Italian mafia groups had an organization that matches the Five Families in size? I've read before that the Italian groups are almost always much smaller than the American families
12. Is the claim that the ndrangheta is the most powerful Italian group true?
13. Is it possible to definitively say what is a single most powerful organized crime group in the world, i.e., is the Sinaloa Cartel more powerful than [insert ndrangheta clan here]? Or the Yamaguchi-gumi? Or the Solntsevskaya Bratva?