GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 275 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,889
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,326
Posts1,058,650
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
American mafia - Associates? #950209
08/15/18 08:38 AM
08/15/18 08:38 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline OP
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline OP
Underboss
Here's one thing I always wondered. You often hear about "associates" in the American mafia. For instance the Genovese family has between 200 and 300 "made" members and about 3000 associates - of course, these numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. We all know associates are not (yet) made or, due to restrictions, won't ever qualify for getting made. I'm left wondering though; who make up the bulk of these associates?

Are they mostly Italian-American criminals who are not yet made and are out to please the made guys? Local businessmen (or maybe even politicians or members of law enforcement) who may not be gangsters themselves, but that are nonetheless corrupted by the gangsters? Members of the mainland Italian crime groups who got transplanted to the USA to get into business with the Americans? Members of other ethnic mobs, street gangs and biker gangs who associate themselves with a few wiseguys? Assorted crooks who aren't a member of any specific crime group that have no chance of getting made, but who decide to work for the Mafia?

It's probably a bit of everything, but does one of these categories have the upper hand in this?

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950215
08/15/18 09:00 AM
08/15/18 09:00 AM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
well i guess a mix of politicians, street thugs, wannabes, local businessmens
as for the numbers of the associates well you can do that :
let's say in NY especially the westside (who are strong, and huge in numbers)
let's say they have 6 associates per made guy.
so for instance if they have 220 made guys (which sounds fair enough) so they have around 900.
of course that was just an example there are cases with members who have around 10 associates and some with 3 it's all depends,
but these is how people who made charts guess the numbers,

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950217
08/15/18 09:32 AM
08/15/18 09:32 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
An associate can be an italian that can be made or a non italian that pay the mob for protection,a street thug or a biker that made money with he mob ecc at the end I think that a 3 associates for a made man is a most reliable numbers.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950227
08/15/18 11:22 AM
08/15/18 11:22 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Cheers for the replies so far.
I guess it's rather difficult to estimate these things. Let's say if a criminal from another gang associates himself with a certain made guy...he probably has other people in his entourage as well. Do they count as mob associates?
How far does cooperation between a certain criminal and a made man in the mob go before one is regarded as a mob associate? If a wiseguy provided a Dominican drug trafficker with some services a couple of months ago or if some Bloods gang member once did a hit for some mobster...are they regarded as "associates"?

It ain't easy to find out.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950228
08/15/18 12:04 PM
08/15/18 12:04 PM
OurThing Offline
Button
OurThing  Offline
Button
There’s a recent news piece about the Gambinos where they said something like... law enforcement estimates some 750 made members and associates, and seemed to refer to the associates as summer “interns”. Cute way of describing them, I guess?

The mob associates I’ve seen in FBI charts etc. were a number of ethnicities, including blacks, so I dunno. It might vary from crime family to family.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: MeyerLansky] #950229
08/15/18 12:32 PM
08/15/18 12:32 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by MeyerLansky

Politicians, businessmen and corrupt officials are considered more as connections/connected guys, instead of being part of a crew like an enforcer, street thug or wannabe.. That's why the term associate is open to multiple interpretations..

Last edited by BillyBrizzi; 08/15/18 12:36 PM.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: BillyBrizzi] #950232
08/15/18 01:26 PM
08/15/18 01:26 PM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted by BillyBrizzi

Politicians, businessmen and corrupt officials are considered more as connections/connected guys, instead of being part of a crew like an enforcer, street thug or wannabe.. That's why the term associate is open to multiple interpretations..

Yeah true ‏your right

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950237
08/15/18 01:42 PM
08/15/18 01:42 PM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
Its a loose term for sure. Personally, whenever i hear the term " associate " being used, i think of someone in the rackets, a crew, under someones flag whos not made. When it comes to politicians, cops, judges, businessmen i refer to " so and so with Mob ties/connections ". But that's just my interpretation.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: The_Marble_Guy] #950246
08/15/18 02:53 PM
08/15/18 02:53 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally Posted by The_Marble_Guy
Its a loose term for sure. Personally, whenever i hear the term " associate " being used, i think of someone in the rackets, a crew, under someones flag whos not made. When it comes to politicians, cops, judges, businessmen i refer to " so and so with Mob ties/connections ". But that's just my interpretation.

Yeah, personally, that has always been my interpretation as well. I just don't really know how it's interpreted in the estimations.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950249
08/15/18 03:25 PM
08/15/18 03:25 PM
NickyfromTampa Offline
BANNED
NickyfromTampa  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The official Mafia term for "associate" means somebody is "on record" with a wiseguy, like Donnie Brasco with Lefty, also the media definitely uses it more loosely. I personally believe that when the FBI uses the term associate, they are referring to guys that are "on record," meaning they work for the mob and are under the mob's protection. I don't think this really applies to bikie gangsters or members of other organized crime units, and I've never seen a bikie referred to as a Mafia associate.
Also, in today's day and age, local politicians and businessmen would make up a very small percentage of the Mafia associates referred to in FBI figures, simply due to the fact that the Mafia's grip on legitimate industries has really loosened over time. I would say the 750 associates in the Gambino Family are "on record" guys. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say a soldier could have six guys under him. Some Italian, some not. Some might be proposed for membership, most not. When we see big, bread-and-butter, street-level busts, the number of associates far outranks the number of made guys.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950265
08/15/18 04:36 PM
08/15/18 04:36 PM
K
kingoflittlenewyork Offline
Capo
kingoflittlenewyork  Offline
K
Capo
I've been back on here for a little over a week and I gotta say the level of posters has risen over here.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: NickyfromTampa] #950274
08/15/18 04:59 PM
08/15/18 04:59 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
The official Mafia term for "associate" means somebody is "on record" with a wiseguy, like Donnie Brasco with Lefty, also the media definitely uses it more loosely. I personally believe that when the FBI uses the term associate, they are referring to guys that are "on record," meaning they work for the mob and are under the mob's protection. I don't think this really applies to bikie gangsters or members of other organized crime units, and I've never seen a bikie referred to as a Mafia associate.
Also, in today's day and age, local politicians and businessmen would make up a very small percentage of the Mafia associates referred to in FBI figures, simply due to the fact that the Mafia's grip on legitimate industries has really loosened over time. I would say the 750 associates in the Gambino Family are "on record" guys. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say a soldier could have six guys under him. Some Italian, some not. Some might be proposed for membership, most not. When we see big, bread-and-butter, street-level busts, the number of associates far outranks the number of made guys.

Cheers for the response. A criminal that directly works "for" the mob is definitely the most plausible explanation for the term 'associate'. I was just curious to how for instance the FBI applies the moniker.

I've read stuff about bikers associating themselves with mobsters - for instance Mark Polchan with Fat Sarno in Chicago - but I wasn't too sure whether they're regarded as direct mob associates that work "for" the mob or as members of other criminal organizations that work "with" the mob.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: NickyfromTampa] #950279
08/15/18 05:37 PM
08/15/18 05:37 PM
OurThing Offline
Button
OurThing  Offline
Button
I would say the 750 associates in the Gambino Family are "on record" guys.

When they said 750 they included full-fledged members. I guess all ~750 are confirmed suspected of having some involvement in the criminal activities of the family, at the least. As for which ones are and aren’t members, I bet even the FBI doesn’t know at all times. The ones you hear about made some splash in the underworld, and in LE circles. Who can say with a 100% certainty which Italian guy in a lower tier position is and isn’t made? Few people are going to come out and say “I am a member of an organized crime family”. Regardless of what surveillance techniques or informants they have.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: NickyfromTampa] #950295
08/15/18 06:12 PM
08/15/18 06:12 PM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline
Underboss

The media doesn't just use the term loosely. Mob guys themselves use the term loosely. To them, an associate is anyone who is "with" the family but without a button. Meaning it could be a politician, a corrupt cop, a local businessman or a street guy who is on the record. You are wrong in believing that the guys who are on the record represent the majority of those associates. In fact, they only represent about 15 to 20% of the total number of associates. Most are indeed businessmen and criminals who are not on the record. It's much harder for them to find a real street guy than it is for them to get somebody who manages a nightclub to come under their umbrella. If you were familiar with the dynamics of NY then this wouldn't even be a question in your mind. By the way, you are on point with everything else you said. I hope me and you can bury the hatchet someday wink.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #950312
08/15/18 07:33 PM
08/15/18 07:33 PM
NickyfromTampa Offline
BANNED
NickyfromTampa  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted by ralphie_cifaretto

The media doesn't just use the term loosely. Mob guys themselves use the term loosely. To them, an associate is anyone who is "with" the family but without a button. Meaning it could be a politician, a corrupt cop, a local businessman or a street guy who is on the record. You are wrong in believing that the guys who are on the record represent the majority of those associates. In fact, they only represent about 15 to 20% of the total number of associates. Most are indeed businessmen and criminals who are not on the record. It's much harder for them to find a real street guy than it is for them to get somebody who manages a nightclub to come under their umbrella. If you were familiar with the dynamics of NY then this wouldn't even be a question in your mind. By the way, you are on point with everything else you said. I hope me and you can bury the hatchet someday wink.

Me too, Ralphie, no point making enemies.
If the number of "on-record" associates only makes up 15-20% of the associates that the FBI lists, then that would imply there are not very many "on-record" associates. Take the Colombos. The New Jersey State of Organized Crime report in 2004 (http://mafianj.com/sci2004/colombo.shtml) listed the Colombos at 112 members and around 500 associates. I'd wager that the number of "on-record" associates compared to made members (for the Colombos) is at least 3:1, probably more. The Jan. 2011 bust showed far more associates than made members in or around Big Anthony Russo's crew. In the 2010 bust of John Franzese, Sonny was the only "made guy" indicted - all of his goons and henchmen were associates, presumably "on-record." In the March 2010 bust, Theodore Persico Jr. and Tom Petrizzo were the only two made guys in a list of eight defendants, most of which were fulltime mob henchmen. What my point is, I guess, is that it would not surprise me at all if the 112:500 figure for made members vs. associates in the Colombos represents only "on-record" associates. Remember, most active soldiers have at least a couple of on-record guys under them to do the dirty work.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: NickyfromTampa] #950313
08/15/18 08:19 PM
08/15/18 08:19 PM
Underboss
Underboss

If the number of "on-record" associates only makes up 15-20% of the associates that the FBI lists, then that would imply there are not very many "on-record" associates. Take the Colombos. The New Jersey State of Organized Crime report in 2004 (http://mafianj.com/sci2004/colombo.shtml) listed the Colombos at 112 members and around 500 associates. I'd wager that the number of "on-record" associates compared to made members (for the Colombos) is at least 3:1, probably more. The Jan. 2011 bust showed far more associates than made members in or around Big Anthony Russo's crew. In the 2010 bust of John Franzese, Sonny was the only "made guy" indicted - all of his goons and henchmen were associates, presumably "on-record." In the March 2010 bust, Theodore Persico Jr. and Tom Petrizzo were the only two made guys in a list of eight defendants, most of which were fulltime mob henchmen. What my point is, I guess, is that it would not surprise me at all if the 112:500 figure for made members vs. associates in the Colombos represents only "on-record" associates. Remember, most active soldiers have at least a couple of on-record guys under them to do the dirty work.

I see now where you're coming from. The FBI tends to only label 'on the record' guys as associates, something you accurately stated. Those are the guys we are most interested in learning about, the guys who are on the street and belong to a crew. What I was pointing to are guys who are considered to be 'with' a certain family, but aren't considered 'on the record' street guys. These guys are mostly business people and people who are in legitimate positions doing the mob's bidding. In 2004, the Bonannos had some 2500 people who fit this category. According to Cicale, Basciano came up with around 3000 people he counted as 'associates'. Now they obviously went with the broad definition of the word and they included street guys on the record (a total of around 500).

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950322
08/15/18 09:27 PM
08/15/18 09:27 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Great responses.

I would add if you had to name the top five associates of all time the list would include two Irish and two Jewish guys, the fifth would be up for grabs.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950323
08/15/18 09:32 PM
08/15/18 09:32 PM
K
Capo
K
Capo
Early FBI files show how close Luciano and Lepke were, in that the files refer to them as the 'Luciano-Buckhalter Mob.' I don't think early non Italian bosses like Shultz, Lepke, Zwillman could be considered associates, imo.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: kingoflittlenewyork] #950324
08/15/18 09:54 PM
08/15/18 09:54 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted by kingoflittlenewyork
Early FBI files show how close Luciano and Lepke were, in that the files refer to them as the 'Luciano-Buckhalter Mob.' I don't think early non Italian bosses like Shultz, Lepke, Zwillman could be considered associates, imo.

Agree, since induction was not huge in the early stages of American Organizing.

However Lanskey & Siegel were in closer to the idea of being only associated since Lucky became a force and corner stone to the more Organized Italian groups.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950326
08/15/18 09:57 PM
08/15/18 09:57 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
I believe the number of associates averages out to about 1 for each made member or less. If we count friends, or people who they deal with one or 2 times, then the number can grow to as high a number as people choose to make it. I believe there are members with 3 or 4 ascots on record, and members who have none on record with them. Figure in the inactive members also.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #950331
08/15/18 11:17 PM
08/15/18 11:17 PM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss

I see now where you're coming from. The FBI tends to only label 'on the record' guys as associates, something you accurately stated. Those are the guys we are most interested in learning about, the guys who are on the street and belong to a crew. What I was pointing to are guys who are considered to be 'with' a certain family, but aren't considered 'on the record' street guys. These guys are mostly business people and people who are in legitimate positions doing the mob's bidding. In 2004, the Bonannos had some 2500 people who fit this category. According to Cicale, Basciano came up with around 3000 people he counted as 'associates'. Now they obviously went with the broad definition of the word and they included street guys on the record (a total of around 500).

The bonannos have 500 associates ?

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950334
08/16/18 12:03 AM
08/16/18 12:03 AM
NickyfromTampa Offline
BANNED
NickyfromTampa  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
@Ralphie, I now see where you're coming from as well. 100% agreed that associates can include people that are "with" wiseguys, like businessmen or contractors under the mob's control.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950355
08/16/18 06:56 AM
08/16/18 06:56 AM
Underboss
Underboss

They have anywhere between 300 and 500 guys who are 'on the record'. The feds tend to inflate these numbers. A good guess would be around 400. Nicky mentioned 750 guys on record with the Gambinos and he's probably not too far off. As stated earlier, the vast majority of those guys never get made.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950374
08/16/18 10:39 AM
08/16/18 10:39 AM
K
Capo
K
Capo
Take for example Spero and the Bath av crew. 7 or 8 guys that are all associates under him. Only one ended up made I believe.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #950378
08/16/18 11:37 AM
08/16/18 11:37 AM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss

They have anywhere between 300 and 500 guys who are 'on the record'. The feds tend to inflate these numbers. A good guess would be around 400. Nicky mentioned 750 guys on record with the Gambinos and he's probably not too far off. As stated earlier, the vast majority of those guys never get made.

so from all of those 400 maybe only 180 - 200 are italian right ?

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: MeyerLansky] #950382
08/16/18 12:26 PM
08/16/18 12:26 PM
Underboss
Underboss

Very hard to say, especially in this day and age. The Staten Island crews and some of the Jersey crews are almost all 90% Italian. You start seeing more diversity in Queens and the Bronx. There are certainly crews in those areas where the Italians are a minority. The life has changed a lot over the years.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950383
08/16/18 01:17 PM
08/16/18 01:17 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Thanks for the insightful responses!

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #950386
08/16/18 01:35 PM
08/16/18 01:35 PM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss

Very hard to say, especially in this day and age. The Staten Island crews and some of the Jersey crews are almost all 90% Italian. You start seeing more diversity in Queens and the Bronx. There are certainly crews in those areas where the Italians are a minority. The life has changed a lot over the years.

So if that's true then the all mob (not only the bonanno's) are really making a come back since they lose their power in the late 80s/early 90s
Like i've been saying for a long time !

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950408
08/16/18 05:10 PM
08/16/18 05:10 PM
OurThing Offline
Button
OurThing  Offline
Button
This is one of the ones I was thinking about. The bottom row of this chart illustrates the diversity of mob associates.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950418
08/16/18 05:32 PM
08/16/18 05:32 PM
NickyfromTampa Offline
BANNED
NickyfromTampa  Offline
BANNED
Underboss

So if that's true then the all mob (not only the bonanno's) are really making a come back since they lose their power in the late 80s/early 90s
Like i've been saying for a long time ! [/quote]

It's no secret the mob has been recovering, Meyer. The FBI now only has two New York crews fighting the Five Families. The Jan. 2011 "Mafia Takedown Day" was almost a grand finale for the feds because a few months after that was when they first dismantled the separate crews for each of the Five Families and merged the Colombos with the Bonannos once more, as well as reducing the amount of agents across the board to only 45. Two years later, that number plummeted to 25 and the Genovese squad was merged with the Bonanno/Colombo squad and the Gambino squad was merged with the Luccheses. Here's a New York Post article about the situation:
https://nypost.com/2013/06/20/feds-only-have-2-squads-left-to-combat-city-mafia-families/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull