GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 297 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,997
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,177
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Something that bugs me .. . . #8089
04/23/04 06:47 AM
04/23/04 06:47 AM
UK
C
ColinB Offline OP
Wiseguy
ColinB  Offline OP
C
Wiseguy
UK
I always thought it was just a film and not too get bogged down in the detail, but one thing that bothered me is the ending.

Michael has the heads of the 5 families killed and thereby "settles all family business"

Why should those hit gangs be subservient after that ? Were the Coleones (excuse spelling) subservient after Sonnys death (The affected leader) ? No way. Is not one of those gangs going to attempt some kind of revenge ? Of course they are, what kind of gangsters are they going to be otherwise.

I like the ending of the UK film The Long Good Friday when the gang leader (PLayed by Bob Hoskins) has the main players of the other side(the IRA) killed at a meeting at a racetrack. Then he thinks hes settled it, problem solved. Of course, at the end of the film when hes relaxed after his victory, he gets in a taxi. But the taxi speeds away, the drivers mate turns round and points a gub at him. Its the IRA, and hes had it. (The film ends there)

Colin B
Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8090
04/23/04 11:53 AM
04/23/04 11:53 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You're not wrong, Colin. In the film, Michael consolidated his power in New York by whacking the heads of four rival Mafia families, plus Moe
Green, plus Carlo. But in the novel, Michael only whacked Philip Tattaglia and Barzini, plus Carlo, on the Day He Settled All Family Business. He evidently reached an accommodation with the two surviving NY Mafia Dons (he'd dispatched Moe Green previously).
Why did the film deviate from the novel in this regard? Mainly to make for a far more dramatic conclusion through a surfeit of violence. Even so, we subsequently saw that Michael had no real peace. In a deleted scene, we hear from Neri that Fabrizio emigrated from Sicily to America "in 1956, sponsored by the Barzini Family." So even though Barzini was murdered in '55, his family apparently was intact and still making mischief against Michael. And, as we saw in GFII, the "olive oil business" that Michael had handed to Clemenza after the Great Massacre was now falling apart under Pentangeli.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8091
04/23/04 12:26 PM
04/23/04 12:26 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
The fact is, the (Italian-)American Mafia is not all about revenge, in contrast to the Sicilians where revenge and "vendetta" is a common theme. Business suffers if wars are going to happen. Throughout the history of the Mafia in America, countless Bossess have been executed with little or no retaliation.

Luciano having Maranzano killed.
Gotti having Castellano killed and this one is a good example because a relative of Castellanos (who wasn't in on the hit) made no move against Gotti or his crew.

My guess is, if the Corleone execution of the 5 Families was real. Michael would have allied with the Capos of the Families, promising them power of their Family and then no one could oppose them.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8092
04/23/04 02:10 PM
04/23/04 02:10 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
In the Novel, not only did he kill Tattaglia and Barzini but also there most operatiting officials.

Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8093
04/29/04 03:07 PM
04/29/04 03:07 PM
NY
Chancre Offline
Capo
Chancre  Offline
Capo
NY
I think the greater implication was to send a message : The Corleones were still capable of defending their territory.

Alot of people didn't have any faith in or respect for Michael due to his inexperience. This changed.

Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8094
04/29/04 04:39 PM
04/29/04 04:39 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally posted by Chancre:
I think the greater implication was to send a message : The Corleones were [b]still capable of defending their territory.

Alot of people didn't have any faith in or respect for Michael due to his inexperience. This changed. [/b]
You make an important point. We need to remember that in the book, Mike was viewed as "yellow" or weak by the other Families. Even in the movie, the line "Sollozzo knows he's a civilian" implies that Mike is not in the business, nor is he considered strong enough to be in the business. Why else would Sonny, Tessio & Clemenza all laugh at Michael's suggestion to kill McCluskey & Sollozzo?

The view of Michael (before the Sollozzo murder) is that of a non-factor within the Family. This view is seen by the other Families, as well as Clemenza, Tessio, et. al. With Sonny dead and Vito ailing, the Corleone's were deemed vulnerable by their enemies. No one initially expected much out of Michael when he was given the power. Remember Tessio argued with Michael's decision not to recruit more men: "Mike, you're wrong."

Therefore, the execution of the plan to kill the heads of the Five Families, Moe Green & Carlo was most likely a shock to the mob underworld. Obviously, they all knew who had ordered the killings since Michael was still alive. I think that they greatly underestimated his cunning & planning and realized that he was as intelligent (or maybe moreso) than Vito and that Michael was a forced to be reckoned with.

Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8095
04/29/04 07:22 PM
04/29/04 07:22 PM
Scotland
HevyDevyGK Offline
Wiseguy
HevyDevyGK  Offline
Wiseguy
Scotland
Yeah I think it's realistic that it would "settle all family business" as no one would dare think of doing anything back to some one who has it in them to wipe them all out.

Cheers for wasting the Long good Friday for me smile

Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8096
05/04/04 03:44 AM
05/04/04 03:44 AM
New York
Kevin Rooney Offline
Wiseguy
Kevin Rooney  Offline
Wiseguy
New York
Speaking of the Long Good Friday-hence the IRA, has anyone else seen the movie "Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson? For those who haven't, Collins was one of the founders of the IRA in the '20's. There is a part where he settles his country's business on a certain night that reminds me of the baptism sequence of GF1 like no other movie i've seen. The movie plays with a few facts but is mostly factual. This part particularly DID happen. GF fans who haven't seen it might want to check it out for this.

"Keep your friends close, your enemies-closer" - Michael Corleone, quoting Don Vito.
"You're a smart lawyer, very smart-but don't get smart with me!" -Rocky Sullivan (Cagney) to Frazier (Bogart) in Angels with Dirty Faces
Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8097
05/05/04 05:29 AM
05/05/04 05:29 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Yes it is an excellent film

But we dont KNOW there wasnt any reprisals against Michael just because we didnt see it, and there is the question, how would they know for sure it was corleone? later on they would realise when they see all the other dons dead it must be him, but by then Michael had moved to Nevada. only clemenza was left in NY and you know what happened to him

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Something that bugs me .. . . #8098
05/05/04 10:09 AM
05/05/04 10:09 AM
Boston
Don'tForgetTheCannolis Offline
Made Member
Don'tForgetTheCannolis  Offline
Made Member
Boston
I would also like to mention that if you remeber when the Don was almost killed Tom said "if we lose the Old Man, we lose have our strenght, out political contacts etc." "if your pop dies sonny, make the deal" I think this was exactly what the other families did, by loseing there dons it was just as damaging as for the Corleones if they had lost Vito

"Take it easy"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull