GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 537 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Italian-Americans? #72656
09/15/04 10:28 PM
09/15/04 10:28 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Why is it everytime a new TV show or movie is made about the Mafia or organized crime, Italian-Americans always cry that they're being sterotyped?? I mean, I just started watching The Sopranos last summer so I don't really know what the original reaction was to the show, but DreamWorks is releasing an animated film Shark Tale about the "underworld of sharks" and now Italian-Americans have a problem with this. Believe it or not I do have Italian blood coursing through my veins (proudly I might add) and I don't mind mafia related movies being made because it was a part of the Italian & American culture for such a long time. I do not feel that I am being "profiled" (espeically since I'm so Irish), but I also enjoyed mafia/gangster related material (hence the reason most of us are here at this bulletin board). What do you guys think? Here's what the article states if you're interested:

"The Columbus Citizens Foundation, which produces New York's annual Columbus Day parade, has become the latest Italian-American organization to protest against Shark Tale, the DreamWorks animated film about the shark "underworld." The film features the voices of Robert De Niro, Peter Falk, and actors who have appeared in HBO's The Sopranos. In a statement, the Columbus Citizens Foundation charged that the film makes "unprecedented use of ethnic stereotypes to characterize villains." The group's president, Lawrence Auriana, was quoted as saying, "It is startling that this entertainment should come from DreamWorks, one of whose principals, Steven Spielberg, has been an outspoken opponent of stereotyping and discrimination." A spokeswoman for DreamWorks called the group's complaints "wildly inaccurate" and maintained that the movie "is a positive, uplifting family film with nothing negative or demeaning about it."

Re: Italian-Americans? #72657
09/15/04 10:43 PM
09/15/04 10:43 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
They complained about stereotyping when the Lion King came out. They complained about sterotyping when Aladdin came out! Now Shark Tales. Know what I think? I think that these protesters and activists have wayyyy too much time on thier hands! I think that there are more important and real issues in the world that they could point thier efforts and energies towards! Either that or get real jobs! Heck, you gotta take these movies for what they are ; entertainment! They should be enjoyed!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Italian-Americans? #72658
09/15/04 11:40 PM
09/15/04 11:40 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Obviously I wouldn't be "here" if I was offended by these movies. I am almost embarrassed that a small group of fellow Italians are making such a big fuss over this. :rolleyes: I joined the Sons Of Italy a few years ago, but decided not to continue membership, because of this "Commission for Social Justice". I simply don't agree that's all. Because I enjoy these movies doesn't make me any less proud of who I am. Like Don Cardi says, it is "entertainment" only. Enjoying these types of films is not an endorsement or approval of "real" mob life. And the fact is that the mob is/was real and there's nothing wrong with making a movie about it, either fact or fiction. I think these people just need to chill!!! :p

Btw, I found this article in which DeNiro defends his "mob" roles. This was while he was in Venice, last week. He was to become an honorary citizen and some Italians protested because of some of the roles he played.

DeNiro Defends roles

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Italian-Americans? #72659
09/15/04 11:52 PM
09/15/04 11:52 PM
Earth
goodfellaoggie Offline
goodfellaoggie  Offline

Earth
nice pic of Angelina and Bobby TIS. both my favorites. Angelina Jolie. . . the sexiest and oozing with sex appeal actress to date.

GoodFella

Life Goes On

"What're You Gonna Do Now, Tough Guy?"
The Notorious Phrase that Would'nt Go Away.
Re: Italian-Americans? #72660
09/16/04 06:00 AM
09/16/04 06:00 AM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Why is it everytime a new TV show or movie is made about the Mafia or organized crime, Italian-Americans always cry that they're being sterotyped??
It's a group, the majority of the majority probably aren't offended. Members of my extended family from before I was born who are dead now were probably in some kind of "activity" for all I know but it doesn't phase me.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Italian-Americans? #72661
09/16/04 06:14 AM
09/16/04 06:14 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Well remember the fuss with the Godfather and the Italian American Civil Rights League. Who was that headed by? That's right sparky, THE Joe Colombo. I wouldn't be surprised if the same tactics are being used but the leadership is much more underground than the prolific Colombo.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Italian-Americans? #72662
09/16/04 11:15 AM
09/16/04 11:15 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
That was a cool little article TIS, thanks. I'm glad to see that most of us here aren't offended when these types of movies are made. I agree that they should be taken as entertainment, but I mean, look at England when Braveheart & The Patriot came out. Or just recently when The Passion of the Christ came out and how Jewish people complained about the same thing. Funny how Asians didn't say a single word about either Kill Bill Vol 1 or Vol 2!

Re: Italian-Americans? #72663
09/17/04 01:35 AM
09/17/04 01:35 AM
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
Irishman,

As you stated La Cosa Nostra has been a "part of the Italian culture & American culture for so long" do you mind giving a few examples of your knowledge on Italian culture or on how organized crime has been part of said culture?

Organized crime has certainly been a most hated part of Italian history, prolonged only by the most unscrupulous in Italian society. Perhaps Italian-Americans protest against such shows, commercials, or movies because of the fallacies they lead non-Italians, or even Italian-Americans themselves, to believe - ones much like the one you ignorantly displayed (when adding that crime was part of Italian culture).

If the future allowed I would most definetely be interested in joining an organization like the Sons of Italy, myself, but Boston is too busy & so am I.

Re: Italian-Americans? #72664
09/17/04 10:33 AM
09/17/04 10:33 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Guineapig:
Irishman,

As you stated La Cosa Nostra has been a "part of the Italian culture & American culture for so long" do you mind giving a few examples of your knowledge on Italian culture or on how organized crime has been part of said culture?

Organized crime has certainly been a most hated part of Italian history, prolonged only by the most unscrupulous in Italian society. Perhaps Italian-Americans protest against such shows, commercials, or movies because of the fallacies they lead non-Italians, or even Italian-Americans themselves, to believe - ones much like the one you ignorantly displayed (when adding that crime was part of Italian culture).
So are you telling me that the Mafia is not apart of the Italian & American culture? Not now as much but historically. A lot of Italians who came to this country who couldn't make a living were forced to do what they could do in order to survive. I'm not saying EVERY Italian are like the characters portrayed in movies b/c that is just ignorant & the movies are for entertainment purposes only! I'm not saying that Italians are all criminals but some are (just like in any other race). My point is why don't Asians get offended when a movie like Kill Bill comes out. Why did the English get bent outta shape when Braveheart & The Patriot came out? My point is, is that you cannot deny the mafia or its history & what's the point in getting all up in arms about it? People are going to make movies & these aren't even controversal. There just a story about real people & about their real experiences and life. They're not saying, hey this is how ALL Italians are. I don't see why everyone can't appreciate the movie for what it is, art!

Re: Italian-Americans? #72665
09/17/04 03:21 PM
09/17/04 03:21 PM
AllEyesOnChris Offline
Button
AllEyesOnChris  Offline
Button
What was that, last night's reading assigment, Guineapig? Though entertaining, that was the biggest load I've ever heard. Being part-Italian myself, I have to say I find The Sons Of Italy's constant bitching far more offensive than any mob movie. Crime is a part of life, and it sells in Hollywood. Deniro is one of the best actors around, and to actually take action to deny him the honor of Italian citizenship is just immature. Just like when they tried to stop Dominic Chianese and Lorraine Bracco from marching in that parade because of their parts on The Sopranos. The Sons Of Italy is nothing more than a bunch of high-fallutin juveniles who will do whatever it takes to get their names in the paper.

Gangsters don't die, They get chubby and move to Miami.
- Jadakiss
Re: Italian-Americans? #72666
09/17/04 05:10 PM
09/17/04 05:10 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
They complained about stereotyping when the Lion King came out.

Don Cardi
What was wrong with the Lion King? I love that movie!!!

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Italian-Americans? #72667
09/17/04 06:57 PM
09/17/04 06:57 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by bogey:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b] They complained about stereotyping when the Lion King came out.
What was wrong with the Lion King? I love that movie!!! [/b][/quote]The Hyena Anti-Defamation League complained about how its members were portrayed.

Re: Italian-Americans? #72668
09/17/04 07:57 PM
09/17/04 07:57 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
The Hyena Anti-Defamation League complained about how its members were portrayed.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Italian-Americans? #72669
09/18/04 02:24 AM
09/18/04 02:24 AM
Santino Corleone Offline
Capo
Santino Corleone  Offline
Capo
"De Niro has appeared as an Italian-American mobster in "Goodfellas"

Hhhhhmmmmm.... I would have sworn he was Irish in Goodfellas....

"Neri, take a train to Rome and light a candle for the Archbishop."-Vincent Corleone
Re: Italian-Americans? #72670
09/18/04 02:26 AM
09/18/04 02:26 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Santino Corleone:
"De Niro has appeared as an Italian-American mobster in "Goodfellas"

Hhhhhmmmmm.... I would have sworn he was Irish in Goodfellas....
Wasn't it Irish-Italian which is "why they could never be made men"

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Italian-Americans? #72671
09/18/04 02:30 AM
09/18/04 02:30 AM
Santino Corleone Offline
Capo
Santino Corleone  Offline
Capo
I know Henry is, but when Billy Batts buys a drink for "the Irish hoodlums", Jimmy says there's only one true Irishman there. That would lead be to believe he was pretty much 100% Irish. I'm a bit rusty on my mob associate history though....maybe he is Irish-Italian-American.

"Neri, take a train to Rome and light a candle for the Archbishop."-Vincent Corleone
Re: Italian-Americans? #72672
09/18/04 02:57 PM
09/18/04 02:57 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
No Santino,I think youre right.Im pretty sure Jimmy was full blooded Irish.
From what Ive heard from my family,I'm Scots-Irish and if suddenly Irish were protreyed as drunk Leprichans, I wouldnt mind a bit.If you actaully think that all Irish are drunk Leprichans(or all Italians are in the Mafia and are "bad guys") then you are too ignorant for me to listen to your views.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Italian-Americans? #72673
09/18/04 03:03 PM
09/18/04 03:03 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

For the record I should have put a question mark after my question. i was really ASKING the question I wasn't saying it like I knew, I have the dvd sitting on the shelf right now and its brand new so I'm too lazy to go open it up and put it in to get the real answer lol

and My brother DonSonnyCorleone lol you are absolutely right.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Italian-Americans? #72674
09/19/04 06:06 PM
09/19/04 06:06 PM
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
Irishman, I'm not sure you comprehended what I posted. My point was that crime has never been a part of Italian culture. It's part of Italian history but not of Italian culture.

AllEyesOnChris, I'll humor myself & ask you to explain what exactly about my first post you found untruthful.

The Sons of Italy is a serious & dedicated organization working in the interest of Italian-Americans, it has a coalition with two Arab groups & a Polish one, all doing the same for their people. To call elderly, warm-hearted veterans, their wives, respectable citizens & their families "nothing more than a bunch of high-fallutin [sic] juveniles who will do whatever it takes to get their names in the paper" for protesting against programs, artists, books, commercials & their creators for perpetuating a negative stereotype of the community they have attempted to represent positively their entire lives; is not only a glaring example of your ignorance & lack of respect for your ancestors' efforts, you being partly Italian like you mentioned (as if to credit your opinion). But how much can someone really expect from someone who listens to Jadakiss; huh?

Re: Italian-Americans? #72675
09/19/04 07:50 PM
09/19/04 07:50 PM
AllEyesOnChris Offline
Button
AllEyesOnChris  Offline
Button
Whether or not the Sons are "warm-hearted" does not change the fact that they nitpick all things pop culture until they discover anything even remotely offensive to Italians. If they pride themselves on exposing cartoon sharks as being stereotypical, that's fine with me. Whatever puts wind in your sails. But you have to admit, it's a little juvenile. Now, I'm not knocking they're involvment in furthering Italian culture. In fact, I'm all for it. But in comparison to other projects they could be looking into, don't you think cartoons are a little low on the totem pole? By the way, while we're on the topic, how does the music I listen to affect my views? Just because I found a quote entertaining doesn't mean I worship the man or agree with everything he says. Between that, and you accusing me of attempting to solidify my comments with my racial background, you just may get your wish in joining the Sons...

Gangsters don't die, They get chubby and move to Miami.
- Jadakiss
Re: Italian-Americans? #72676
09/19/04 11:28 PM
09/19/04 11:28 PM
Boston, Ma
G
Guineapig Offline
Underboss
Guineapig  Offline
G
Underboss
Boston, Ma
Quote:
Originally posted by AllEyesOnChris:
Whether or not the Sons are "warm-hearted" does not change the fact that they nitpick all things pop culture until they discover anything even remotely offensive to Italians. If they pride themselves on exposing cartoon sharks as being stereotypical, that's fine with me. Whatever puts wind in your sails. But you have to admit, it's a little juvenile. Now, I'm not knocking they're involvment in furthering Italian culture. In fact, I'm all for it. But in comparison to other projects they could be looking into, don't you think cartoons are a little low on the totem pole? By the way, while we're on the topic, how does the music I listen to affect my views? Just because I found a quote entertaining doesn't mean I worship the man or agree with everything he says. Between that, and you accusing me of attempting to solidify my comments with my racial background, you just may get your wish in joining the Sons...
Quid pro quo, on your question. I am still waiting for you to take me up on my offer.

Labelling them, as you labelled in your previous post, in the statement in which I quoted, contradicts you not 'knocking' their involvement in the furtherance of Italian culture.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull