GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Turnbull), 217 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,309
Posts1,058,386
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Consigliere position #920615
09/26/17 09:29 AM
09/26/17 09:29 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline OP
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline OP
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Do you think the consigliere position has lost a lot of its value, especially in the last 30 years or so? It used to be the consigliere was the one who was supposed to advise the boss, solve inter-family disputes, etc. Supposedly the consigliere should look legit, be able to mix with the politicians, judges, etc.. but I can't think of any occasion of that happening in the last 30, 40 years or so. It seems the consigliere is just the "number 3 man" and nothing more.

-Carmine Sessa, deeply involved in the Colombo was, going out on hits and eventually turning informant.

-John Gotti about Joe N. Gallo. The consigliere is supposed to be chosen by the majority of the capos, but John said he could as well drop every capo and put his friends temporarily as capos just so he can remove Joe N. Gallo, and then put back the old capos. So it's just a technicality. I don't think that's even done anymore. In Philly or other cities I don't think the boss cares about this and he just appoints the underboss and consigliere however and whoever he pleases.

During Phil Testa's reign Nick Scarfo was put as consigliere which is ridiculous. Not fit at all for such a position, very hot-headed and not really the voice of reason in the Philly family. When he became boss, Nick did not even want a consigliere. After Frank Monte got killed, the place was vacant for a long while until he decided to put his cousin Piccolo, who was semi-retired, and it's doubtful Nick consulted with him even once during his reign.
Gaspipe Casso served as consigliere for a while, imagine that. So did Sammy Gravano, although I think he's a bit more fit for that role, compared to Gas. During Vic & Gas's reign I'm not sure the Luccheses even had an official consigliere after Christie Tic went away.

Is the consigliere's role basically lost nowadays? Is he nothing more than just the "number 3 man"?

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920619
09/26/17 10:34 AM
09/26/17 10:34 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Online content
furio_from_naples  Online Content

naples,italy
I think that today even in the big families the position of consigliere is give to a powerful but very old capo like venero mangano for example.
For the scarfo case he made his nephew as underboss and one of his uncles as consigliere.

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920625
09/26/17 12:13 PM
09/26/17 12:13 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Yeah I think there's evidence that this position is ceremonial and a way to reward long standing capos for their service and loyalty.

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Jimmy_Two_Times] #920630
09/26/17 12:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Since the Don is king, he can appoint whomever he wants as consigliere, and listen to whomever he wants, whether or not the guy is the consigliere. One of the tapes released during Gotti's last trial has him saying to Gravano, "You can be consigliere or underboss, whatever makes you feel better." Some say that Hugh (Apples) McIntosh, Persico's bodyguard, was more like his consigliere.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Jimmy_Two_Times] #920631
K
Kash Offline
Made Member
Kash  Offline
K
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times
Yeah I think there's evidence that this position is ceremonial and a way to reward long standing capos for their service and loyalty.

Agree. Consig is probably largely ceremonial. How many current bosses you think actually take counsel anyway? I'm sure where it's used is more about an extra layer of insulation more than anything.

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920639
09/26/17 01:57 PM
09/26/17 01:57 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
A lot of bosses consults elder statesman of the family,either retired or semi retired,in some families if a boss is retired in good standing their more often play the consig role unofficially

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920641
09/26/17 02:06 PM
09/26/17 02:06 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
A smart boss goal is to retire or semi retire and give the day to day duties to the future boss while their still around to guide them... Ala the Chicago guy's,Carlos gambino, Dom from the Bambino's etc.

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920642
09/26/17 02:09 PM
09/26/17 02:09 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
Post borgesi, Philly has done a good job of restoring the traditional role of a consig

Re: Consigliere position [Re: thebigfella] #920661
09/26/17 06:56 PM
09/26/17 06:56 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted By: thebigfella
Post borgesi, Philly has done a good job of restoring the traditional role of a consig
Chickie Chang I hope u mean??

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920663
09/26/17 07:12 PM
09/26/17 07:12 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
It's a big babysitting job from what I understand, non stop sit downs and drama from grown men that all want the cash or respect or other .

Must be a beast to be one of a big family like the Gambinos !

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920667
09/26/17 08:06 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
Lucibello, staino, and johnny Chang previously filled the role of consig

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920669
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
All smart men

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920671
09/26/17 08:11 PM
09/26/17 08:11 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
I think it morphed into more of a political position to satisfy factions in the family and/or add another level of insulation in relaying orders.

For example, didn't Angelo Bruno make Joe Rugnetta consigliere just to satisfy that faction of the Philly mob? And then pretty much do the same with Tony Bananas?

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920674
09/26/17 09:02 PM
09/26/17 09:02 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Boston people was mark rosetti really acting consig for the family 2009 or so before he was busted for dope and the fbi put him out there? Like furios chart says he had atleast a few bodies. I think i read it when the strip club busts came down cause that providence guy said anthony dinunzio gave mark a cutt of there shakedown.

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920675
09/26/17 09:05 PM
09/26/17 09:05 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Theres so many older guys jn that family around 2009 he couldnt be the acting consig. Or maybe non of the old guys wanted the meesly 1000 a month to only be busted down the road for extortion. Rosetti shut the fucked up cause he could have put alot of boston away they must have paid him off or gave his family passes in the street.

Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920690
09/26/17 10:55 PM
09/26/17 10:55 PM
Ryan98366 Offline
BANNED
Ryan98366  Offline
BANNED
Made Member
Good thread. I have wondered the same thing especially about Little Nicky. It seems like a political position to me. I feel the same way about underboss. Maybe you should pose the same question about the underboss title.

GangsterBB Snitches get stitches!
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920944
10/01/17 02:43 AM
10/01/17 02:43 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
A lot of answers being it is a ceremony position, but if you look into the Bonanno, Genovese, Lucchese, Elizabeth, and Philadelphia families in recent years, you can tell it is not a ceremony position.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920947
10/01/17 03:18 AM
10/01/17 03:18 AM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
It varies from boss to boss and family to family. Sometime the underboss and consigliere are the #2 and #3 most powerful family members, sometimes they are just auxilary positions for the boss.

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920950
10/01/17 06:16 AM
10/01/17 06:16 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
I don't think it's ceremonial, it's political, and an indication of power in the family...

Like take Scarfo right? He was consigliere, but HE expected Testa to make him underboss. Like he was very miffed by this. So you gotta ask the question, why did Testa make Casella underboss? There had to have been some politics there.

What I suspect is even though he was close to Scarfo, Scarfos crew made the boss nervous. He was a little TOO autonomous, his crew was TOO loyal to HIM specifically. So I suspect Testa used the position in administration to kind of weaken Scarfos power in the family a little bit.

He was TOO powerful NOT to be in the administration. But I don't think Testa wanted him as number two, probably was grooming Salvie for it...
Same deal with Scarfo and Harry. Harry's crew made Scarfo nervous about his own security, as these guys ONLY took their orders from Harry. Funny, I always thought Harry could have, or should have been made consigliere under Scarfo.

I think it's a function of mob politics. Has it ever struck any of you guys funny that Joe Adonis NEVER got an administration position? Like fuck that Pandolfo shit, WHO THE FUCK WAS COSTELLOS CONSIGLIERE? Was it Mike Miranda? Just this alone, I've always suspected Costello and Adonis didn't get along, that Lucky was the thing they had in common.

@ Ted

Spot On there......

Sal Vitale was underboss in name only.
Gotti was an ACTING CAPO, technically, yet he was the natural successor to Dellacroces power, which was good for an administration position, plus he had his own crew to back it up.

The Bonnano old timers made a stink of Bill getting the consigliere spot, I think it definitely carried weight.

Vic Colletti of the Genovese had enough clout to win a sit down with Massino, and he TURNED DOWN a consigliere spot. So I think it STILL carries weight.

Bobby Manna, low key was almost as powerful as Chin it seemed. Same with Tino Fiamara, I think he was consigliere, but was a front runner for boss.

I agree with Ted I think it varies from family to family, and even from administration to administration....

Edit: I know it's just a TV show, but you guys remember the exchange between Tony and Johnny Sack right before the Feds hit?

Tony; " So meet his price, and be done with it....." Johnny; " I don't like it, he gonna want consigliere or who knows what...." Like he didn't want Phil TOO POWERFUL, too legitimate, even though this was his most trusted capo. He needed to be able to CONTROL the guy. He was perfectly willing to give him MONEY, or a piece of another racket, but MORE POWER? This made him a little nervous, just a visual example of the politics in play....

Very interesting thread.... Any more thoughts fellas??

Last edited by CabriniGreen; 10/01/17 06:30 AM.
Re: Consigliere position [Re: CabriniGreen] #920966
10/01/17 03:32 PM
10/01/17 03:32 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
I don't think it's ceremonial, it's political, and an indication of power in the family...

Like take Scarfo right? He was consigliere, but HE expected Testa to make him underboss. Like he was very miffed by this. So you gotta ask the question, why did Testa make Casella underboss? There had to have been some politics there.

What I suspect is even though he was close to Scarfo, Scarfos crew made the boss nervous. He was a little TOO autonomous, his crew was TOO loyal to HIM specifically. So I suspect Testa used the position in administration to kind of weaken Scarfos power in the family a little bit.

He was TOO powerful NOT to be in the administration. But I don't think Testa wanted him as number two, probably was grooming Salvie for it...
Same deal with Scarfo and Harry. Harry's crew made Scarfo nervous about his own security, as these guys ONLY took their orders from Harry. Funny, I always thought Harry could have, or should have been made consigliere under Scarfo.

I think it's a function of mob politics. Has it ever struck any of you guys funny that Joe Adonis NEVER got an administration position? Like fuck that Pandolfo shit, WHO THE FUCK WAS COSTELLOS CONSIGLIERE? Was it Mike Miranda? Just this alone, I've always suspected Costello and Adonis didn't get along, that Lucky was the thing they had in common.

@ Ted

Spot On there......

Sal Vitale was underboss in name only.
Gotti was an ACTING CAPO, technically, yet he was the natural successor to Dellacroces power, which was good for an administration position, plus he had his own crew to back it up.

The Bonnano old timers made a stink of Bill getting the consigliere spot, I think it definitely carried weight.

Vic Colletti of the Genovese had enough clout to win a sit down with Massino, and he TURNED DOWN a consigliere spot. So I think it STILL carries weight.

Bobby Manna, low key was almost as powerful as Chin it seemed. Same with Tino Fiamara, I think he was consigliere, but was a front runner for boss.

I agree with Ted I think it varies from family to family, and even from administration to administration....

Edit: I know it's just a TV show, but you guys remember the exchange between Tony and Johnny Sack right before the Feds hit?

Tony; " So meet his price, and be done with it....." Johnny; " I don't like it, he gonna want consigliere or who knows what...." Like he didn't want Phil TOO POWERFUL, too legitimate, even though this was his most trusted capo. He needed to be able to CONTROL the guy. He was perfectly willing to give him MONEY, or a piece of another racket, but MORE POWER? This made him a little nervous, just a visual example of the politics in play....

Very interesting thread.... Any more thoughts fellas??

What about John Torrio being the Genovese Consigliere during Frank Costello reign?

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Consigliere position [Re: Malandrino] #920970
10/01/17 04:31 PM
10/01/17 04:31 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

it came out in the luchese indictment napoli was there consig and that must have happend in the last few yrs cause when he was indicted with scarfo jr and the nj crew around 2007 he was a capo. say to say barney being chins protege has one and the gambinos must have had to replace that guy bobby glasses who died a few back.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull