GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, Toodoped), 230 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,339
Posts1,058,894
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Phil Leotardo's character #918366
08/13/17 09:21 AM
08/13/17 09:21 AM
York, PA
Luca Brasi Offline OP
Underboss
Luca Brasi  Offline OP
Underboss
York, PA
Concerning Phil Leotardo - A Soldier With Standards, Business Savvy and Clear Objectives.

ONE of the brilliant things about the Sopranos IS, upon repeated viewings, things are revealed that make you re-evaluate your own standards and question what you take for granted.

Nothing is how it seems at first. Trust is a gift bestowed upon very few people or things. Trust your own instincts and respect Family bonds, what you fear or what is dictated by greed...

I didn't like Phil Leotardo. In fact, I still don't. But I realize now he is the only true SOLDIER in the series.

He rose to the top being chillingly unsympathetic and ruthless. He accepted the rules of war that have existed for...well are rooted in, at least, ancient cultural codes.... No lip service to Italian heritage.

He was a real gangster. He hated Jersey. Lotsa reasons. Mostly because he didn't feel NJ knew its place...they were a glorified crew.

Nj never ate at the same table.

And John Sac fed into and stroked Tony's little ego and delusions of grandeur. He did it as a means to avoid violence. John was a pragmatist. But appeasement....is just putting off the inevitable. Tony would freak out when New York flexed a little, wouldn't even give due respect.

NJ and NY were not equals.

John made $ with Tony, he could go to Tony as a friend, someone who could do favors for him OUTSIDE his circle. It was a calculated friendship. But Tony always thought he needed to flex and posture as a means to intimidate John and prove his right to have a place at the Big Boy Table. I think John found it laughable and cute almost. Tony really felt he was being taken serious. It just reaffirmed to John that he could read Tony like a book and keep him right where he wanted him. Blinded and weak.

Speak softly and carry a big stick. New York didn't have to make explossive threats.

Jersey? Perpetually weak and cornered. One last "face saving" option, revealing in its simplicity and lack of foresight...act big and bad.

It was a joke. Tony really believed he was facing an intellectual equal. If he wanted to scare John he could have started by admitting wrongdoings and showing some real leadership qualities...like humility and facing reality regardless of whatever. Paying bills.

Phil's simplification was too brilliant. Pristine.

Self righteous even. He didn't need to pander to NJ and was happy and eager to bring them into harsh reality, where HE lived. He respected John Sacs decision for years, but he resented Johns way of running the show. Sloppy, and foolish. Pragmatist? When he saw John cry at his sentencing it just brought everything Phil had felt for years into laser precision.

Making money was rule number one. Paying bills. Otherwise...what's the point?

The fact that Tony was blown away and offended was because he had been out of touch with reality from day one. John let Tony live in his own make believe world. But he, John, was a control freak who had let things spin out of control. And he didnt even know why.

More worried about wining and dining and SPENDING money.

He was a babysitter. But babies rock cribs. If left unchecked, there was no end to the bloodshed. Murder? Anyone can kill. Parameters are set and respect is shown to the bigger kid on the block.

A thing built on mutual adherence to principles accepted by all, the spine of what it meant to be Italian.

There's a difference between bullying, and demanding what's rightfully yours.

So how is this Phil's fault? He had no choice. According to the "rules", Phil was the only one you could count on or even engage with fairly.

He didn't come up with this shit last night. These are the cornerstones of everything.

Might makes Right...

No one wins in war though. Loss is accelerated. It's not even an option. It's beyond embarrassing.

Tony could have become a respected boss. Something he had never been. Phil would have been a new start. He could have fed him Chris as a gesture long, long ago. .

Really, Phil is the most admirable gangster of the series.

His weakness was his strength. Unflinching adherence to code.

It was the 21st century. The only code was treachery and hiding what money you did make from the people closest to you. Appeasement and political maneuvering. Grasping desperately on to the rapidly disappearinge vestiges of a once thriving economy of payoffs and cashflow, rapidly becoming extinct (pussy dealt H!!!!) And silence? Us vs the Cops?

Fuck that. You vs. Everyone. Silence? Tony saw a shrink! .

A lotta people might be free and a lot less would be dead if everyone operated like Phil...

In the end there's less carnage, more money flowing, and less infighting. More time for family and topshelf vice and high style life.

And whores.

So why did I dislike him?

Its personal. Phil was not interesting to watch in long sessions.

No panic attacks.

No ducks.

No crazy sisters.

No tight circle of friends/freeloaders (enemies)idling away the time with snappy dialogue and distracting wisecracks.

Tony was my guy.

And Phil was just a thorn of looming rationale that was an enemy. The enemy. Of all Tony had "built".

Screen goes black.

I hated Phil cause I didn't think. I just assumed he was the enemy....he must be wrong. Upon watching the series again I realized Phil was just being a scumbag like the rest of them....only with standards.

This is how ancient societies functioned.

These were not new standards.

They were time tested and mother and pop pop approved.

"Bye! Bye! To Pop pop!"

"He who fights with monsters should look at it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: Luca Brasi] #918377
08/13/17 06:41 PM
08/13/17 06:41 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Very good and well thought out analysis,Luca! I agree that Phil really was a perfect example of the old school, Cosa Nostra comes first mentality. He did major prison time and stood up the whole way (As he said,instead of manicotti,grilled cheese on the radiator).
I don't see him as ever becoming a rat. Of course,anything is possible,but it would be a major longshot.

On the other hand,I think if the Feds really had an ironclad case against Tony,and he was facing,say 30 years or so,he would flip in a heartbeat. Other than Paulie,he has no real close friends in his own Family,and he could provide a ton of info about the other Families. He might feel bad about betraying Paulie,but I don't think he would be strong enough (mentally) to do any kind of hard time. Witsec all the way.
Tony was a pampered,soft guy who took the throne from a washed up, incompetent old man.

Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: Luca Brasi] #918390
08/13/17 09:13 PM
08/13/17 09:13 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Johnny Sack was a pushover and tony knew it. Despite New York being 10 times stronger Johnny Sack always let Tony off the hook. Phil knew that Jersey shouldn't be on the same level as them which is true in reality.

Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: JCrusher] #918400
08/13/17 11:53 PM
08/13/17 11:53 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Hypothetical question:

Would Phil have been better off not trying to whack the Sopranos,but instead leaving things the way they were?
On the one hand,Tony's Family would always be a "glorified crew" as far as the big leagues go,but that could be an advantage.Phil could always propose some joint ventures (on the pretext of clearing up the bad blood between them)thereby getting Tony's guys to take some risks,yet still kick up a share. I think if Phil would have told Tony that all was forgiven (of course it wouldn't be)Tony's ego and desire to be a "real" Don would have made him a perfect puppet for Phil.

On the other hand,Phil's obsession with whacking the Soprano administration resulted in a state of war,diminished earnings for both sides,and ultimately his betrayal by his right hand guy,who saw the vendetta for what it was,and correctly realized that it personal,not business,and had to stop.

So what do you guys (and gals)think?

Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: Lou_Para] #918462
08/15/17 08:42 AM
08/15/17 08:42 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
Hypothetical question:

Would Phil have been better off not trying to whack the Sopranos,but instead leaving things the way they were?
On the one hand,Tony's Family would always be a "glorified crew" as far as the big leagues go,but that could be an advantage.Phil could always propose some joint ventures (on the pretext of clearing up the bad blood between them)thereby getting Tony's guys to take some risks,yet still kick up a share. I think if Phil would have told Tony that all was forgiven (of course it wouldn't be)Tony's ego and desire to be a "real" Don would have made him a perfect puppet for Phil.

On the other hand,Phil's obsession with whacking the Soprano administration resulted in a state of war,diminished earnings for both sides,and ultimately his betrayal by his right hand guy,who saw the vendetta for what it was,and correctly realized that it personal,not business,and had to stop.

So what do you guys (and gals)think?

Well if I look at Phil's perspective he feels that his brother was murdered and it was never really avenged, he was also nearly murdered By Tony B, a few guys of his were killed by Jersey, and Tony was always trying hold out of him in regards to deals. In reality New York would crush jersey in a matter of seconds so that's what Phil was thinking after having enough I guess. Unfortunetly one of the flaws of the show is that they make Jersey just as strong if not stronger than new York which is crazy.

Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: Luca Brasi] #919923
09/13/17 09:28 PM
09/13/17 09:28 PM
United States
Paul Pisano Offline
Underboss
Paul Pisano  Offline
Underboss
United States
looks like we lost frank vincent today. he was an excellent actor.

http://kingfish4400.webstore.com/

blu-ray/dvd/vhs/more. 1449 + titles. PRICE DROP ON ALL TITLES + 30 percent off all titles, free shipping, one bus day handling time, and guest checkout available- membership not required to make a purchase. 52 SALES to date. verified seller. BATMAN52 IS THE CODE THAT MUST BE ENTERED AT CHECKOUT TO GET THE DISCOUNT.

Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: Luca Brasi] #920317
09/20/17 02:29 AM
09/20/17 02:29 AM
durham, england
C
cocooma Offline
Wiseguy
cocooma  Offline
C
Wiseguy
durham, england
he did '20 fukin years' you know grin

Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: Luca Brasi] #920751
09/28/17 06:52 AM
09/28/17 06:52 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
So we are under the fucking Gambinos ? (Charles Stango).
So we are under the fucking Lupertazzi ? (anyone becomed boss after Tony S death).

Last edited by furio_from_naples; 09/28/17 06:53 AM.
Re: Phil Leotardo's character [Re: Luca Brasi] #949992
08/14/18 02:08 AM
08/14/18 02:08 AM
Quiet_Doms Offline
Capo
Quiet_Doms  Offline
Capo
Phil was a straight up gangster!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull