GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (RushStreet, FireHawk, Ciment, 2 invisible), 284 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,356
Posts1,059,123
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Capo's Film of the Week #71098
07/11/04 05:40 PM
07/11/04 05:40 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
Where do I start? Possibly the best week of films I've had in a long time. In the Heat of the Night--excellent. Other than A Fistful of Dynamite, it was my only Rod Steiger film I'd seen, and he is absolutely fantastic in it, as is Sidney Poitier. A must-see that tackles racism as well as an intriguing crime. I started my Kubrick boxset off with Lolita, and what a start it was. Brilliant; despite lacking in purpose at times, the acting is a treat throughout. After Lolita, I watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time: it would definitely be my Film of the Week, but for the fact that I will be reviewing it in the next few weeks anyway, for the MFA Top 100. David Lynch's The Grandmother is a for-fans-only film; far too bizarre to be enjoyed, but a fine example of the disturbance which would later overshadow the director's (brilliant) work; Twin Peaks, the feature-length pilot for the show, got another viewing, as did Finding Nemo and 2001: A Space Odyssey, which, after two viewings, enters my four stars elité. And last night, on BBC4, there was The Sorrow and the Pity, a four-hour-long documentary about the German Occupation in France during the Second World War, after which I stopped up ('til four in the AM) watching Lacombe, Lucien and The Last Metro; all three are highly recommended French films. This afternoon I immensely enjoyed Falling in Love, which puts expert players into a plot with little substance.

On the Waterfront
Before this, I hadn't seen an Elia Kazan film, nor one starring Lee J. Cobb, or the rest of the cast for that matter; Brando's excellence was only previously available to me via The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I always tend to avoid in-depth reviews of such films, as it normally precedes my viewing and its overall impact is thus lessened. So, with little known about On the Waterfront other than the players involved and rough outline of the plot (thanks to references in films such as Pulp Fiction), you can imagine the force with which this hit me.

Brando is a good place to start; his "Method" was, at the time, revolutionary in cinema, and since, as a result, we have been treated to such legends as De Niro, Pacino, Nicholson et al, who grew their careers in the wake of Brando's changing of acting forever. The character of Terry Malloy is superbly played in capturing the audience's sympathy, empathy and attention. And, after watching this after being used to seeing the padded-cheeked Don Vito, it comes as a surprise that we don't really notice that Malloy is acted by Brando. Malloy is Malloy, and nobody else, utterly convincing as the ex-prize fighter who, through his love for the sister of someone in whom's death he played a role, finds his own conscience and learns to stand up for newfound principles. Staying on acting: after watching Steiger in the Heat of the Night, I was a little disappointed to see so much little screen-time from him in this--but his acting is flawless once he gets on screen. Cobb, as the general consensus seems to be, is totally believable as the bad guy, in an awesome performance. And, after reading a few reviews after seeing it, I am surprised at the lack of attention Karl Malden as the priest gets for his performance; for me, he perhaps is the secret weapon of this film's fantastic arsenal of treats.

The direction goes without saying; brilliant, and perfectly capturing the mood of the docks. This is not a glamorous place. This is not, as the Hollywood of the time liked to show, a legitimate place run fairly. The waterfront is, in all its fog, steam and harshness, a grim place to work, and Kazan depicts the dodgy dealings perfectly.

Boris Kaufman's cinematography, which won one of the film's eight Oscars (the others, incidentally, went to writer Budd Schulberg, Elia Kazan's directing, art director Richard Day, Brando, Eva Marie Saint and Gene Milford for editing, and the Best Picture award itself) gives the film it's timelessness; with its semi-documentary style, the film could have been made in the seventies or eighties instead of 1954.

Controversial in its unconventional depiction of the illegal rackets atthe time, On the Waterfront stands today as an undoubted masterpiece. A tense, exciting melodrama with a unique flair of authenticity; much imitated and seldom surpassed, the directing, acting and photography are all notable highlights.

8.5/10

Up next week, the (likely) contenders for Film of the Week are: Cape Fear (both versions), Ben-Hur, Boyz N The Hood, Don't Look Now, Blow, Zulu, Leaving Las Vegas and possibly more (or less, if Idon't get round to watching them).

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Capo's Film of the Week #71099
07/11/04 06:28 PM
07/11/04 06:28 PM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Oh man, Blues Brothers was on the other night, I'd hope you'd speak about that. On the Waterfront is something I'm trying to see though, maybe it'll be on TCM sometime soon.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Capo's Film of the Week #71100
07/11/04 07:58 PM
07/11/04 07:58 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Oh man, Blues Brothers was on the other night, I'd hope you'd speak about that. On the Waterfront is something I'm trying to see though, maybe it'll be on TCM sometime soon.
Didn't you get the memo? It was on TCM...like yesterday. For Brando's tribute.

At least it was in US.

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: Capo's Film of the Week #71101
07/11/04 08:37 PM
07/11/04 08:37 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
I watched Dr. Strangelove for the first time
The scene in the war room with George C. Scott at the beginning of the film is a masterpiece. One of my all-time favorites.

I recognize "On The Waterfront" as a true classic and enjoy watching it, but it's not one of my favorites.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Capo's Film of the Week #71102
07/11/04 09:48 PM
07/11/04 09:48 PM
Puppeteer Offline
Underboss
Puppeteer  Offline
Underboss
Has the backstory of Elia Kazan's naming names at the UN-American hearings affected your view on the film?

It hasn't in my case, but many feel it has cheapened the film.

Just curious.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.
Re: Capo's Film of the Week #71103
07/11/04 10:16 PM
07/11/04 10:16 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Quote:
Originally posted by Puppeteer:
Has the backstory of Elia Kazan's naming names at the UN-American hearings affected your view on the film?

It hasn't in my case, but many feel it has cheapened the film.

Just curious.
I'm surprised Brando went back to work for Kazan after he did the dirty deed.
I was watching Brando's biography, and he found out about Kazan naming names on the set of "Julius Caesar", and he apparently cried and said, "How could he do it?" (or something along those lines).
Then, practically right after that, he went to work with him in "On the Waterfront".

It's a shame Kazan did it. It has overshadowed his career tremendously. He was probably one of the best American directors between the 40's-60's.

How am I not myself?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull