GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 493 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,235
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,522
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,397
Posts1,060,121
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70904
07/01/04 02:01 PM
07/01/04 02:01 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
It really pisses me off when the government is on the youth's ass to go out in vote. You have to be 18 to vote. What do they expect from us? What I don't get is I'm allowed to drive a 3 ton vehicle when I turn 16, but I can't vote for who I think should rule my country.

Now I hate to bring Fahrenheit 9/11 up since it's already been heavily bashed by some of you fucking Conservative Republicans. :p Anywho, I'll say this now. This movie WILL effect the voting. Not everyone watches the news and belongs to this BB. I guarantee over 85 % of that audience I was with believed it all was true. All I heard on the way out was "Bush is such a moron. I think I know who I'm voting for now."

Now, I mentioned this because most of you probably think that misguided kids (under 18) would believe mostly what they hear on TV and see in the movies. There are as many kids as their are adults that are just the same. For every misguided kid, there's a misguided adult. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70905
07/01/04 02:10 PM
07/01/04 02:10 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
The voting age is fine as it is. Once you are out of high school you are pretty much expected to be able to function as an adult. You can legally sign a lease, enlist in the army, etc...

I think younger than that is not feasible, and if you can be sent off to fight in a war, you should at least have the right to vote for who should represent you.

Don't overestimate the effect the movie is going to have on the election. The people that are going to see it are not generally going to be conservatives that come out with some new revelation. The people that hate Bush already will have their viewpoints confirmed, but the Bush supporters aren't going to see it. The undecided probably can't decide what movie to go see anyway.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70906
07/01/04 02:15 PM
07/01/04 02:15 PM
ScarfaceRH Offline
Underboss
ScarfaceRH  Offline
Underboss
Most 16 year olds today are definately not mature enough or smart enough to vote. Honestly, how many 16 year olds do you know that follow politics and would be smart enough to vote? True, some might be, but most of them are not.

So I think the voting age is fine how it is.

Riley

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70907
07/01/04 02:16 PM
07/01/04 02:16 PM
Texas
Patches Offline
Underboss
Patches  Offline
Underboss
Texas
Pat, even though I am 18, I always wanted to vote. I in most of my teenage years have been interested in politics. Most kids are not. Most kids are too immature to have an opinion in politics, and that is why (imo) that the voting age is 18. I really don't think the legal age to vote should be changed for that reason. But you can still make an effort in who you think should win. There are lots of things the underaged can do in their community to voice their opinion. I you would like the sites, just PM me.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70908
07/01/04 02:18 PM
07/01/04 02:18 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I voted as everyone else did & said that it was fine the way it is. I don't think a lot of 16 year olds are mature enough or would care enough to vote yet. It's just my opinion but I didn't start watching the news until like I was a Senior in high school or Freshman in college. I just didn't care & wasn't interested in it.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70909
07/01/04 03:39 PM
07/01/04 03:39 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Quote:
Originally posted by ScarfaceRH:
Most 16 year olds today are definately not mature enough or smart enough to vote. Honestly, how many 16 year olds do you know that follow politics and would be smart enough to vote? True, [b]some might be, but most of them are not.

So I think the voting age is fine how it is.

Riley [/b]
The fact is is that MOST Americans over the age of 18 aren't smart enough to vote!

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70910
07/01/04 04:22 PM
07/01/04 04:22 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
I am 16, and I have absolutely no desire to vote. In fact, none of my friends do either. I think you are the first person my age Pat (that I know of) who feels that the voting age should be brought down to 16. But before you go out and voice your opinions, hear me out:

Do you know why the voting age was brought down from 21 to 18? I'm not a history major, but I believe it was because 18 year-olds who were being drafted to serve and die in Vietnam felt that they should be able to vote for the leader of the country that they were fighting for.
So you want to make the voting age 16? Don't you think that some politicians might think, "Hey, if they are old enough to vote for the leader of this country, aren't they old enough to fight for it?"?
That is what scares me, even though it probably won't happen, along with changing the age.

The "youth" vote seems to be very important these days. I heard P Diddy is going to start a show on MTV that tries to encourage young people to vote. Yet these plans don't seem to be working. I'm not sure if it's an issue of immaturity (though it is often the case), but I think a lot of people my age (myself included) really don't care.
I was watching Dennis Miller's show the other week, and he mentioned that Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond preformed at a benefit for John Kerry. Then he sarcastically remarked, "Well they've got the youth vote!"

How am I not myself?
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70911
07/02/04 07:46 AM
07/02/04 07:46 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Our legal voting age is the same here, 18. My first general election I was legally able to vote in I turned it down. I didn't give a fuck, it was all the same shit to me. Now, a few years on I relise how powerful and important politics is and I make my vote count. The fact is, now that I look back, I think if I did vote when I was 18/19 I still think it would be an immature vote. Kids think they know everything at that age - they don't know anything.

"It's what you learn after you know everything that counts." - Unknown.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70912
07/04/04 11:17 PM
07/04/04 11:17 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
Teens Showing More Interest in Voting
By MARTHA IRVINE, AP

VERONA, Wis. (July 4) - They've gotten pregnant less often than teens of recent decades, are less likely to smoke or do illegal drugs, and have an interest in volunteering and public service. Now signs are cropping up that the nation's youngest young adults are bucking another trend: They're taking an interest in voting.

''It's important to us. What happens in this election is going to affect our generation,'' says 18-year-old Katie Brew, who filled out a registration form shortly before graduating from Verona High School, just outside Madison.

About to head to the University of Nebraska for her freshman year, Brew is most worried about the potential for a draft. Others say the threat of terrorism and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have motivated them to get involved.

''We've been through things like 9-11 and the war on Iraq - all that junk. So we want to have a say,'' says 18-year-old Mia Georgeson, another newly registered voter from Verona High who's about to join the National Guard Army band as a percussionist.

Recent surveys of youth - most often college students - have provided conflicting data about the level of interest in the upcoming presidential election.

Still, several experts who track youth movements believe change is afoot, particularly among ''millennials,'' young adults born after 1981 who are coming of age in the new millennium. Now no older than 22, they represent millions of potential new voters.

Michael Wood, vice president of Teenage Research Unlimited, says the election has been coming up frequently - and spontaneously - during his talks with young people who serve as advisers for the Illinois-based market research company.

''I haven't seen this much interest since 1992,'' Wood says, referring to the first presidential election Bill Clinton won. It was the only presidential race since 1972, when the voting age was dropped to 18, in which turnout among the youngest voters topped 50 percent.

He agrees that the war in Iraq - and how it will affect their lives - is causing many teens to take notice. He also credits the many voting campaigns that target young people, including one spearheaded by MTV.

Still others say teachers have helped inspired them.

That was the case for Dan Blessing, a recent high school graduate in Philadelphia who took action after a teacher explained how young people have been increasingly less likely to vote.

''It really did hit me then,'' says Blessing, who registered via an education program called Student Voices. He and fellow students at the High School for Creative and Performing Arts then had a pizza party to persuade their peers to do the same.

In Wisconsin alone, the nonpartisan New Voters Project has already registered more than 8,000 teens, including Brew, Georgeson and dozens of other graduating seniors at Verona High School.

Caught during their final assembly, they heard an enthusiastic pitch from 23-year-old Jessy Tolkan, the New Voters Project's Wisconsin coordinator.

''Before you go off into the world as high school graduates, you can do one really critical, important thing - you can register to vote!'' Tolkan shouted.

The suggestion drew just a single ''Woo!'' from the back of the auditorium - hardly a rousing response.

But in a matter of minutes, nearly half of the 310 Verona seniors registered and filled out cards that say ''YES! I pledge to vote on Nov. 2, 2004.'' They also provided e-mail addresses and cell phone numbers so they could be reminded to vote this fall.

Several other students said they'd already registered.

''It's all part of a rising political tide,'' says Scott Beale, a 28-year-old who interviewed hundreds of young people for his book ''Millennial Manifesto,'' a look at youth interest in politics, activism and voting.

A graduate student studying public administration at the University of Delaware, Beale points to youth-driven movements aimed at lowering the voting age in several states.

He also notes that more young people are running for public office. They include 26-year-old Samara Barend, a former campaign aide to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton who is running for Congress in New York.

But others wonder if all the talk about voting will really equate to votes.

''I'm, at once, hopeful and skeptical,'' says Ganesh Sitaraman, a 21-year-old Harvard University graduate who co-wrote the book ''Invisible Citizens: Youth Politics After September 11'' and worries that the many young people who are registering won't actually vote.

Bill Strauss, a generational expert who coined the term ''millennial,'' believes there will be pockets of increased participation in this election - but that the full effect of the youngest generation's political influence won't be felt until 2012, when they'll be pushing 30 and more invested in the economy.

Some young people are clearly having trouble getting motivated - among them Jake Gleason, a Verona student who didn't register to vote, even when the form and a pen were handed to him.

''Honestly, I'm just too lazy to fill it out,'' the 18-year-old said after the assembly. ''I got halfway through and I just didn't feel like finishing it.''

Source: AOL News

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70913
07/05/04 01:22 AM
07/05/04 01:22 AM
The House Of Blue Leaves
Nice Guy Eddie Offline
Underboss
Nice Guy Eddie  Offline
Underboss
The House Of Blue Leaves
Posted by Patrick:
Quote:
Anywho, I'll say this now. This movie WILL effect the voting. Not everyone watches the news and belongs to this BB. I guarantee over 85 % of that audience I was with believed it all was true.
These must be the type of people who were at the theatre with you:

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.

Get Hannitized

I support racial profiling.
Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70914
07/05/04 01:46 AM
07/05/04 01:46 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline OP
Patrick  Offline OP

West Chester, PA
The theatre was sold out. It was teenagers, parents, and senior citizens. -Pat

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70915
07/06/04 09:37 PM
07/06/04 09:37 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
Pat I think you brought up a really interesting topic. I've always thought that 16 year-olds should be able to graduate from high school....

About voting, I'm not sure they are mature enough at 16. I know I definitely wasn't knowledgeable enough at the time. Young people tend to be more idealistic..... I think it was good that they lowered it to age 18 during Vietnam,.... but.... 16 might be a little too young.

Re: Pat's Thoughts Volume 14: Should the Voting Age be changed? #70916
07/06/04 10:24 PM
07/06/04 10:24 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Now I hate to bring Fahrenheit 9/11 up since it's already been heavily bashed by some of you fucking Conservative Republicans. :p Anywho, I'll say this now. This movie WILL effect the voting. Not everyone watches the news and belongs to this BB. I guarantee over 85 % of that audience I was with believed it all was true. All I heard on the way out was "Bush is such a moron. I think I know who I'm voting for now."

Most of the people (not all, but most) who went to see it were already voting for Kerry anyways, so that's why the impact will be marginal, and not as great as you think. It's not like Moore is giving us revelations, he's simply stating his opinion to those who choose to listen, who are people not likely to vote for Bush in the first place.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull