GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,385
Posts1,059,733
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70459
06/15/04 12:36 PM
06/15/04 12:36 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline OP
Anthony Lombardi  Offline OP

east coast
Yeah, it's about that time again -- the time where I make a top five list concerning whatever's floating around in my sick little mind. This time; the topic is the top five greatest lyricists and musical writers [lyrics, folks] of all time. The core to music is the meaning, the lyrics, the words -- where it all comes from. The creative impliment in music has always been what's behind the music; "What was in his head while he wrote this?" List your top five here. Your list can contain a solo writer, or a writing team.

1. Jim Morrison -- The Doors
2. John Lennon/Paul McCartney -- The Beatles
3. Kurt Cobain -- Nirvana
4. Robert Plant/Jimmy Page -- Led Zeppelin
5. Robert Smith -- The Cure

Honorable Mentions: Dustin Kensrue [Thrice], Thom Yorke [Radiohead], Scott Weiland [Stone Temple Pilots], Bob Dylan, Conor Oberst [Bright Eyes], Ryan Adams, Geoff Rickly [Thursday], Davey Havok [AFI], Eddie Vedder [Pearl Jam]. There's probably more I'm too lethargic to think of at the moment; though I'll add them as I think of them.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70460
06/15/04 01:17 PM
06/15/04 01:17 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I would add Elton John/Bernie Taupin to your list.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70461
06/15/04 01:20 PM
06/15/04 01:20 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
There are soooooo many from which to choose.

1. Lennon/McCartney
2. Lieber & Stoller
3. Bob Dylan
4. Bruce Springsteen
5. Billy Joel

And lets not forget the masters:

1. Irving Berlin
2. Sammy Cahn
3. George & Ira Gershwin

Hey.....we can't leave off Harry Chapin....a truly wonderful storyteller/lyricist.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70462
06/15/04 02:40 PM
06/15/04 02:40 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Bruce Springsteen is the best lyricist, songwriter, and storyteller in my opinion. Check out anything from the Nebraska album, along with such songs as "Darkness on the Edge of Town," "You're Missing," "The Ghost of Tom Joad," and "Jungleland" to name a few.

Other great ones are Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Mick Jagger, and Tom Petty.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70463
06/15/04 02:43 PM
06/15/04 02:43 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Define "greatest." Is it the ability to be more prolific than anybody else? Or is it the ability to achieve genius if only for a moment?

My personal favorites in no particular order...

Elton John/Bernie Taupin
Lennon/McCartney
Dylan
Harry Chapin
Cobain
Springsteen
Jim Steinman
Tom Waits

I know that last one may look a little strange, but that's why people say Tom Waits for no man.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70464
06/15/04 02:44 PM
06/15/04 02:44 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I'll go with SC's top three, but flip-flop Dylan with Lieber & Stoller. Dylan gets the nod based on the profundity of his work. Quite simply, he's a poet like no other and certainly the greatest American poet of our time, if not all time. Lieber & Stoller's work was a bit more of the simplistic "pop" variety.

All three make it for me based on quantity as well as quality. Past them, the rest of the list is a toss-up.

After Bruce and before Billy Joel, who I'm not sure belogs on the list, I might throw in Bernie Taupin, Elton John's long-time lyricist, and Brian Wilson and his Beach Boys collaborators.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70465
06/15/04 02:47 PM
06/15/04 02:47 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by YoTonyB:
I know that last one may look a little strange, but that's why people say Tom Waits for no man.
(groan)

Welcome to the boards, YTB.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70466
06/15/04 02:52 PM
06/15/04 02:52 PM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
The best writer of all time is Tupac Shakur. No questions asked. He was one of the leaders for my generation.

Eminem and Kurt Cobain's lyrics are also amazing.

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70467
06/15/04 03:34 PM
06/15/04 03:34 PM
New York
M
Mr. Baggins Offline
Underboss
Mr. Baggins  Offline
M
Underboss
New York
In no particular order:

Lennon/McCartney
Bob Dylan
David Byrne
Syd Barret, David Gilmour, Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Jerry Garcia

Others:
Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, Bob Marley

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70468
06/15/04 03:59 PM
06/15/04 03:59 PM
Canada
Blake Offline
Underboss
Blake  Offline
Underboss
Canada
I don't really like Stings solo work but his lryics are very good. All others mentioned would go on my list.

You talkin' to me?
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70469
06/15/04 05:17 PM
06/15/04 05:17 PM
east coast

east coast
I cannot bring myself to believe no one else has put Jim Morrison in their top five. It's insatiable -- it's a travesty.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70470
06/15/04 05:22 PM
06/15/04 05:22 PM
The Netherlands
Don Michel Offline
Underboss
Don Michel  Offline
Underboss
The Netherlands
Ian Curtis - Joy Division
Jello Biafra - Dead Kennedys
Colin Jerwood - Conflict
Bob Dylan

Contrary to popular belief, Unix is userfriendly. It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with.
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70471
06/15/04 05:39 PM
06/15/04 05:39 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
Jello Biafra from Dead Kennedys and Tupac Shakur are my very favorite lyricists.

there are so many musical writers that I love that I can't even start making a list

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70472
06/15/04 05:49 PM
06/15/04 05:49 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Lombardi:
I cannot bring myself to believe no one else has put Jim Morrison in their top five. It's insatiable -- it's a travesty.
To paraphrase Vito Corleone: "I'll give you my reasons."

I went through a period where I loved the Doors. Jim Morrison was a great performer. The reason I left him off my list was that some of his lyrics were so very "out there." Some of the imagery was heavily influenced by Morrison's, um, excessive lifestyle ("ride the snake," "weird scenes inside the gold mine," "cancel my subscription to the resurrection," etc.)

Don't get me wrong, Jim wrote some interesting lyrics and some great songs. I just felt that some of his lyrics were created as a direct result of his drug usage.

Believe me, I'm not putting the guy down because he took drugs or drank heavily. Many musicians & songwriters do. I know artists like the Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton, Dylan, the Stones and a slew of others also did more than their fair share of drugs and/or alcohol.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70473
06/15/04 07:40 PM
06/15/04 07:40 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
The usual suspects have all been covered.

I'll add Paul Simon, U2, and Tom Petty

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70474
06/15/04 09:14 PM
06/15/04 09:14 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Interesting topic. Many times we tend to give credit to the singer and forget that lyrics had to be written for any song. Many can name songs/artists, but the songwriter doesn't always get the credit he deserves it seems.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned; Lennon/McCartney, Paul Simon being two of them.

Billy Joel, who I think, has written most of his songs, has such diversity in his music style, and is a genius at successfully showing several different sounds. For instance; "It's Still Rock & Roll To Me" has sort of a 50's type lyrics/sound; Uptown Girl reminds me of a Four Season's number, and Anthony's Song is just plain different in sound. Of course don't forget "We Didn't Start The Fire" which has yet another sound/feel to it. I may not care for every single song Joel has written but I do think he is an extremely talented performer/song writer.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70475
06/15/04 11:51 PM
06/15/04 11:51 PM
east coast

east coast
Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
To paraphrase Vito Corleone: "I'll give you my reasons."

I went through a period where I loved the Doors. Jim Morrison was a great performer. The reason I left him off my list was that some of his lyrics were so very "out there." Some of the imagery was heavily influenced by Morrison's, um, excessive lifestyle ("ride the snake," "weird scenes inside the gold mine," "cancel my subscription to the resurrection," etc.)

Don't get me wrong, Jim wrote some interesting lyrics and some great songs. I just felt that some of his lyrics were created as a direct result of his drug usage.

Believe me, I'm [b]not
putting the guy down because he took drugs or drank heavily. Many musicians & songwriters do. I know artists like the Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton, Dylan, the Stones and a slew of others also did more than their fair share of drugs and/or alcohol. [/b]
See, though -- even before that, though -- on the self-titled album, before Morrison got deeply involved with drugs, the lyrics are utterly uh-mazing. Just amazing. But, I think you're looking at it the wrong way, my friend. Whereas most songwriters write an experience of drugs, or "how they make them feel," Morrison did much more and dug much deeper. It's like he carved out a piece of himself. He created much more. He had a way with words; he was an artist. He painted pictures, he developed such an imagination. It's incredible.

Though, remember -- it's not always the topic and how over/under used it is... It's how it's written.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70476
06/16/04 01:02 AM
06/16/04 01:02 AM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
In no order:

Bob Dylan
Lennon/Mccartney (Beatles)
Robert Plant/Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin)
Van Morrison (Them, and solo)
Jim Morrison (The Doors)
Keith Richards/Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
Burt Bacharach/Elvis Costello
Pete Townshed (The Who)
Peter Frampton
Eric Clapton (Cream, The Yardbirds, Derick and the Dominos, solo stuff)
Jimi Hendrix
Glenn Frey (Eagles)
Benny Goodman/Glenn Miller
Paul Simon
The Beach Boys

Honorable Mentions: George Harrison(solo), Jerry Garcia (Greatful Dead), The Allman Brothers, The Doobie Brothers, Kurt Cobain, Pink Floyd, Bob Segar.

There are others, will post later. It's crazy here in detroit. Pistons just won.

Dr. Ferro

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70477
06/16/04 10:04 AM
06/16/04 10:04 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by goombah:
[b]To paraphrase Vito Corleone: "I'll give you my reasons."

Believe me, I'm [b]not
putting the guy down because he took drugs or drank heavily. Many musicians & songwriters do. I know artists like the Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton, Dylan, the Stones and a slew of others also did more than their fair share of drugs and/or alcohol. [/b]
See, though -- even before that, though -- on the self-titled album, before Morrison got deeply involved with drugs, the lyrics are utterly uh-mazing. Just amazing. But, I think you're looking at it the wrong way, my friend. Whereas most songwriters write an experience of drugs, or "how they make them feel," Morrison did much more and dug much deeper. It's like he carved out a piece of himself. He created much more. He had a way with words; he was an artist. He painted pictures, he developed such an imagination. It's incredible.

Though, remember -- it's not always the topic and how over/under used it is... It's how it's written. [/b][/quote]Anthony:
Well stated - you make some good points about Morrison. I do remember reading that he starting writing a lot of poetry when he went off to Paris. There was a short period in Paris where he cut down on his drinking & got the creative juices flowing again.

TIS:
Your discussion regarding Billy Joel brings up an interesting point. Joel & other successful songwriters are able to make the listener feel as if they are walking in the shoes of the character or characters in the song.

"We Didn't Start the Fire" is like an oral history lesson of the 20th century. I love the line in "Piano Man" where the 'microphone smells like a beer.' As a listener, I appreciate such attention to detail.

That's why Springsteen's lyrics are so great. There is a song called "You're Missing" on Bruce's last album that describes the complete sense of loss of a widow/widower of 9/11. In fact, Bruce even talked to some of the surviving spouses to get the lyric right:

The coffee cup's on the counter
Jacket's on the chair
Paper's on the doorstep
But you're not there
Everything is everything
But you're missing

Picture's on the nightstand/tv's on in the den
Your house is waiting/for you to walk in
You're missing when I shut out the lights
You're missing when I close my eyes
You're missing when I see the sun rise

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70478
06/16/04 12:43 PM
06/16/04 12:43 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
In no order

Paul Simon
Carly Simon
Lennon and McCarthy
Smokey Robinson
Bernie and Elton

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70479
06/16/04 01:33 PM
06/16/04 01:33 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Let's not forget Carole King who wrote many songs throughout the 60's 70's including, Locomotion, Upon the Roof, Will you Still Love Me Tomorrow.

Not to mention a singer in her own right, with her Tapestry album being a major success in the 70's for those oldsters who may remember.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70480
06/16/04 01:59 PM
06/16/04 01:59 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Let's not forget Carole King
And don't forget her contemporary, Neil Sedaka, either.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70481
06/16/04 04:46 PM
06/16/04 04:46 PM
The Netherlands
Don Michel Offline
Underboss
Don Michel  Offline
Underboss
The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by DonFerro55:

Elvis (The King)
Elvis ?? AFAIK there are no lyrics from Elvis hand

Contrary to popular belief, Unix is userfriendly. It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with.
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70482
06/16/04 06:23 PM
06/16/04 06:23 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
I wanted to add:

Glenn Miller
Benny Goodmann
Richard Wagner
Richard Strauss
Johan Strauss
Samuel Barber
John Williams
Wolfgang Amadeus Motzart
Bernard Herrmann

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70483
06/16/04 06:39 PM
06/16/04 06:39 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I think AL wanted to concentrate on lyricists in this thread.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70484
06/16/04 07:41 PM
06/16/04 07:41 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
TIS...by your logic, we'd also have to include Neil Diamond for all the same reasons. I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to put him on the same list! I think both King and Diamond were part of that whole Brill Building songwriting factory...in fact, both have a Monkees tune to their credit!

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70485
06/16/04 08:04 PM
06/16/04 08:04 PM
east coast

east coast
Right on, SC. This is for lyrics. I do not believe Mozart has ever written a lyric.

Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70486
06/16/04 08:10 PM
06/16/04 08:10 PM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
Quote:
Right on, SC. This is for lyrics. I do not believe Mozart has ever written a lyric.
You are correct. I just thought I should mark these down here... My mistake...

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70487
06/16/04 11:33 PM
06/16/04 11:33 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Michel:
[quote]Originally posted by DonFerro55:
[b]
Elvis (The King)
Elvis ?? AFAIK there are no lyrics from Elvis hand [/b][/quote]You are completely right. don't know what I was thinking. I think Elvis is a great performer, not writer. If fact, he stole most of his lyrics, or rather the producers did, from young Black Americans.

Doctor Ferro

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: Top Five Lyricists/Musical Writers #70488
06/17/04 04:26 AM
06/17/04 04:26 AM
The Netherlands
Don Michel Offline
Underboss
Don Michel  Offline
Underboss
The Netherlands
Quote:
How about the operas Mozart wrote??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull