GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 294 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,538
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,998
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,179
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stop Smoking Support Thread #70217
06/03/04 02:26 AM
06/03/04 02:26 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Okay, I thought I needed to start this

As some of you know, I stopped smoking just over a week ago (May 25). I've been chewing (lots of) Nicorette since, but, have remained mostly smoke-free. I say mostly cuz I may have a puff or two at a bar every couple days, and don't consider that being a failure...

I've smoked since I was 17, and have enjoyed it - but - it's become a nasty "habit" that I really need to break. I was smoking too much, sitting at a computer all day, it's easy to smoke and not realize it. Therefore, it's easy to smoke 2+ packs/day without knowing it. I knew shit had to change getting out of breath taking out the trash!

It's not an easy thing, after 21 years. Trust me on that one. I think the stock price in Nicorette is gonna double in a couple days. But - better that than continuing to pollute myself, right?

I know non-smokers won't understand any of this.

I decided to quite (again) for a few reasons. The first (and only serious) time I quit was about 4 years ago when my mom was going in for cardiac bypass surgery. I lasted about 6 months, but the bar scene was increasing difficult to overcome.

This time, my mom was going back in for an angioplasty, and that was one motivator. Another was the fact that I didn't feel healthy any more -- getting colds for no reason, becoming out of breath for no reason, etc. Bad news. What made it easier was the fact that I ran out of cigarettes one night... a night I was on the chatroom ALL NIGHT. I would buy my smokes online for $12/carton, and never ordered more. That night, I ran out, and with the other motivators, I figured that was it - I ran out, so that's that. Time to quit.

I will say this - under circumstances I cannot/will not smoke, it never really bothered me not smoking. I didn't really think much of it, tho, at times I'd chew a piece of Nicorette every couple hours or so and it'd be fine.

But I tell yeah, once you "really quit" it's been much tougher. I've been chewing this shit almost constantly - more than I would otherwise. (But again, I figure it's better than smoking!)

As far as the "puff now and then at the bar", I don't consider that being a terrible thing, at least in the beginning. If I said to myself "I can never smoke again" I would think of that as an impossible task, and surely would fail. But, if I thought that - in the beginning at least - I would limit myself to a few puffs a few times/week it'd be no big deal. My rule is to never buy them, and to never take them home! I think it's helped. And it's not like I'd smoke constantly at the bar, only - cuz I haven't, and I know that wouldn't be good nor work. But a "let me light that for you" approach has worked so far. It's been over 8 days, and I've had like 1 cig (for real) the entire time. Compared to 40+/DAY, that's pretty incredible - and to me, not a failure.

But in any event - rather than rambling on - I'd love to hear others' experiences quitting. What has and what hasn't worked for you? Gum vs patch vs lozenges vs inhalers vs whatever - what has worked for you? And, what has your success/failure rate been?

I really wanna try this time. Cuz I said long ago that I wanted to quit by 30. Then at 35. Then at 40 -- and, at 38, I think that's close enough!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70218
06/03/04 06:33 AM
06/03/04 06:33 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Well done Boss, that's a pretty good achievement, I only hope you can keep it up.

Maybe I have no right entering this thread, after all "I know non-smokers won't understand any of this." But I have come from a family that has known my parents to smoke all their lives. I was brought up on it and to be frank I'm lucky I'm not a smoker. When my lung collapsed the last thing what would have been good for me would be to smoke.

My dad finally gave up the habit this past Christmas. He was to have half of his lung taken out because of a tumor. He quit there and then and thankfully the operation was a success. He's now doing alright for a guy with one and a half lungs.

My mum has never manged to quit, god knows she's tried. The news of my dad only managed to delay her smoking for about 8 days. She hasn't got it in her and I know she'll never be able to quit.

I've known plenty of people to go a hypnotist to quit. All of them are back smoking again and can't even remember being under hypnosis. There money would have been better spent getting blindly drunk. If you're not gonna remember - why not?

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70219
06/03/04 07:47 AM
06/03/04 07:47 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
About 10 years ago, when the patch first came out (you needed an Rx from a doctor to get them then, BTW), I knew a guy in his sixties who smoked about three packs a day.

He went on the patch, and stopped 1-2-3. A guy who was a heavy smoker for maybe 50 years. I figured if he could do it, so could I.

So I got me some patches, uses them for about 10 days, and stayed smoke-free for almost two years.

What I never realized about smoking, and what non-smokers can probably never understand, is the strength of the physical addiction to nicotine. I'm still not sure I understand it myself. No withdrawel symptoms, no pains, no shakes, just an indescribable mental craving, which, we don't realize, is actually a physical craving.

Then (stupidly), I started having an occasional cigar, which became a regular cigar, which led to an occasional cigarette, which became a regular cigarette, which led to my resuming the habit.

Since then, I've tried to stop, using the patch, several times, all with varying degrees of non-success. I've lasted a few weeks, a few days, a few hours.

Hmmm...this thread is for support, and I guess I haven't been very supportive, have I? Well, I stopped for almost two years because I was motivated to do so. I wasn't really notivated for all the other attempts, but you sound motivated enough.

The best advice I can give you?:

Avoid the occasional few puffs, or the occasional full cigarette.

And as hard as it will be for a guy like you

Try to stay out of the bars

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70220
06/03/04 08:19 AM
06/03/04 08:19 AM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Coming from someone who's father died of lung cancer at age 51, and my mom who has emphysema, all I can say is your family will love you for it. It's a hard road I'm sure. But think of all the added years you'll have.

Good luck!

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70221
06/03/04 08:21 AM
06/03/04 08:21 AM
West Chester, PA
Patrick Offline
Patrick  Offline

West Chester, PA
I'm not a big smoker, but I do smoke a couple Newports a week. My dad has been smoking since he was 18, and he's 50 now. My mom smoked for 10 years, but she quit when she found out she was pregnant with me. Too bad you can't get pregnant, eh JG? :p My 2 grandparents (my dad's parents) both died back in 96/97 from smoking related deaths. They were both around 70. JG--You should just try chewing regular gum and see if that works. That nicorette shit brings up your blood pressure. -Pat

"After every dark night, there's a bright day right after that. No matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it." -Tupac Shakur
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70222
06/03/04 08:27 AM
06/03/04 08:27 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
As a non-smoker, I'll just say GO-MAN-GO! or maybe that's STOP-MAN-STOP. Addiction is a peculiar thing to understand for the non-addict. Besides the physical as Pl points out, the personality drives you to....something. Maybe you can replace the urge with water.

I had a friend who tried the patch. It would work on and off. Finally his kids begged him to quit and he did. So since you don't have kids, I'm begging you to quit. And if you have to go to a bar, drive up to Suffern, NY and we'll sample some micro-brew at the Ramapo Brewery and Bar....no smoking allowed.

YOU can do it...after all, you are the Godfather.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70224
06/03/04 09:20 AM
06/03/04 09:20 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
I think it's a good idea to quit.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70225
06/03/04 09:35 AM
06/03/04 09:35 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I think the longest I've quit was only for two weeks. I know it is a physical addiction, but a mental one as well. As all smokers know, having a drink without a cigaret for instance, is one of the hardest things "not" to do; or picking up the phone and having a long phone coversation; or, after leaving work and getting in your car, especially after stressful days, that cigaret is "automatic".

Working at a school, smoking is prohibited in and outside on the school campus, which I guess is a plus for me. Also, as of 2 years ago, I do not smoke in my house, but outside, which you would think is a plus as well.

It's harder to explain, I think, the mental addiction that smoking has. I think that might be harder (at least for me), than the physical addiction. One has to be "determined" to quit and in the right mental frame of mind to succeed. This is something that nonsmokers don't get. Many think in terms of "just quitting". Like losing weight, it is an enormous challenge.

I don't have the answers, but I wish you luck Geoff, as there is no doubt it is better not to smoke. Of course with almost everywhere being nonsmoking areas these days, you would think that would help too.

Good luck!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70227
06/03/04 10:15 AM
06/03/04 10:15 AM
Detroit
DonEthereal_313 Offline
Made Member
DonEthereal_313  Offline
Made Member
Detroit
I stopped smoking...to chew tobacco.

Please don't anyone pick up this habit. It's horrible. I know smokers say the same thing, but they still enjoy it. It's the same way with chewers/spitters...

Nothing like a big fat plug of Red Man after a day at school, or a dip of Copenhagen to round out a horrible four hour research report...

I'm trying to quit to. There's this stuff that's made out of corn silk, that's supposed to simulate the tobacco experience.

Smokey Mountain Snuff
KIKIT Chew Alternative
QuitTobacco.com

I'm sure they have to have stuff like this out for cigarrettes. If not, gum, beef jerky, suckers, Lifesavers, heck, this imitation chew might work. I'm ordering my bunch of the Smokey Mountain Snuff at the end of the week when I get paid...

Win-go-los-ik,
Don Ethereal

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70228
06/03/04 11:54 AM
06/03/04 11:54 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Jeez, Part', two pieces of 4mg gum at a time?? No wonder... that's like smoking 8 cigarettes at once!

The gum does satisfy a nicotine craving, but it really doesn't satisfy a cigarette craving. As Plaw and others have said, it's a physical addiction (to nicotine, of course) and also a mental habit. Habit as in reaching for a smoke in particular circumstances (as TIS said): waking up, morning coffee, after meals, driving, while drinking, etc - those times are most difficult. And after sex, of course

I always hated the fact that bars in NY were smoke-free, but I guess it's a good thing when I think about it. Going outside to smoke (making it inconvenient) helps to cut down significantly. Especially when it's pouring rain or below freezing )

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70229
06/03/04 11:59 AM
06/03/04 11:59 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Maybe I'll try this: Putting a rubber band around my wrist, and every time I crave a cigarette I'd have to snap it really hard. I'm sure after a while I'd think about it less!

Why? Cuz negative reinforcement is a good habit-breaker:

While in college, my roommates and I started saying some stupid word or phrase over and over, and it was becoming incredibly annoying. So we decided that whenever any one of us would say this word/phrase, another of us would punch the person as hard as possible in the arm. The result? After a couple days, no one said whatever it was -- and to this day, none of us recall even what that word or phrase was!

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70230
06/03/04 12:15 PM
06/03/04 12:15 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Don Geoff,

You need to be commended for realizing you need to quit smoking. I don't smoke but alot of my family does. Keep on keeping on and you know your fellow BBer's are all behind you. You will do it. Use that rubber band if you have to. Best of luck.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70231
06/03/04 12:17 PM
06/03/04 12:17 PM
North London
Bella Mafia UK Offline
Capo
Bella Mafia UK  Offline
Capo
North London
One of the hardest things about trying to give up is finding something to do with your hands, a lot of the time I find myself smoking out of boredom and that's awful. When I'm not smoking I usually find myself fidgitting with something, like a paperclip or elastic band. I think perhaps that's why a lot of people put on weight when they give up smoking - its to do with the hands and mouth.

I've been thinking a lot recently about giving up. Apart from the obvious damage its doing to my health, smoking is ridiculously expensive here, almost £5.00 ($9.00) for a pack of 20 cigarettes. If I don't give up just now, then I will when I get pregnant, because then it will be my baby's health that is the most important thing.

Geoff's right about the negative association thing. Some people find that if they associate the act of smoking with something abhorrant eg a disgusting smell, or a painful sensation, then this helps them not to smoke. Hypnosis uses a similar principle - the hypnotist would trick your brain into smelling, say, dogshit, everytime you spark up!!

...there's people who would pay a lot of money for that information. But then your daughter would lose a father..instead of gaining a husband.
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70232
06/03/04 12:27 PM
06/03/04 12:27 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
And after sex, of course
Not to change the subject, but you have sex? :p

(Well, you left yourself pretty wide open for that one)

Quote:
negative reinforcement is a good habit-breaker:
Seriously, though. I had a friend, Barry, who's a psychologist, who used to work with people on smoking cessation.

One of his techniques, which I watched him try on another friend (this was about 30 years ago, before patches, gum, etc.) was what he called the "quick puff" method.

We were sitting in Central Park, and he had my friend Jeff (strangely enough) light a cigarette. As soon as Jeff exhaled, Barry would say "puff", and Jeff had to inhale and exhale again. He got no time off in between puffs, and I had to have a lit cigarette ready for him as soon as he finished the one he was smoking.

About midway through the third cig, Jeff was coughing and choking, but Barry made him keep going. He couldn't even inhale anymore, and finally he just threw up.

The method worked great. After throwing up, Jeff didn't smoke another one for at least 3 hours. :rolleyes:

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70233
06/03/04 12:48 PM
06/03/04 12:48 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
I spent the entire 80's puffing away on Virgina Slims lights and had no intentions of quiting. In 1990, I had bronchitis and could not get rid of it. So I stop smoking until the bronchitis was resolved, and planned to returned to smoking. The "drawback" to that plan is that I kept forgeting to buy cigarettes! So I reasoned that if I cannot remember to buy cigarettes then I don't need to smoke.

Geoff, it does not sound that like using the gum alone is doing the trick. Ask for a script for the patch (DON'T CHEAT AND SMOKE! ) or ask for a script for Zyban to turn down the stimulate response. Zyban is also a antidepressant and has a good reponse in weight reduction. But forgettaboutit if you have seizures

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70234
06/03/04 12:52 PM
06/03/04 12:52 PM
chile
angiez23 Offline
Underboss
angiez23  Offline
Underboss
chile
I smoked since i was 12 years , pretty young, the last week i was very sick, i went to the hospital and i had a neumonnia, the doctor said my lung was pretty bad for a 23 years girl, told me i can´t smoke again in my whole life, so for the youngest here like pat quit now man, you don´t wanna be in your 20´s and have problems with your lung and for geoff good luck in the hard road to quit .

" What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?"

" Take me out tonight
Because I want to see people and I
Want to see life"- there is a light that never goes out by The smiths.
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70236
06/03/04 08:57 PM
Virginia
Raulito Offline
Underboss
Raulito  Offline
Underboss
Virginia
Well, I'm not a "full-time" smoker, but I have had periods of time where I smoked Marlboros like it was water. My dad had been smoking since he was 29 years old, and he quit about 4 years ago when he was 51 years old. He just quit, no patch, no gum, no nothing. It was tough for him. Those "Y do you think smoking" commericials really convinced me to not smoke anymore.

Off topic, I remember this one time, I was walking on this bridge, and i saw a pack of Marlboros. It was new, and it hadn't been opened. My first pack

"It is better to die standing than to live on your knees."
-Che Guevara
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70237
Detroit
TonyD Offline
Underboss
TonyD  Offline
Underboss
Detroit
When I quit smoking I quit cold-turkey from 2-1/2 packs a day (this is chain-smoking almost constantly)... that was 22 years ago.

A girlfriend and I were lying outside under an enormous pine tree on a mild fall night (about midnight actually) ... we had just, uh ... well ... uh, (ahem) smoked all my cigarettes ... then smoked all hers. We got onto the conversation of how long we'd been each smoking ... I had for almost 9 years, she for almost 8. So, right there we agreed to both quit together on the spot.
She went back to smoking about 4 months later ... I never smoked cigarettes again.

I must say, one thing that really helped me was that I was weight-lifting, and later running for exercise about that time. The exercise was something that I'd been doing independently of any plans to quit smoking.

For me, exercise was the most important componant to getting past that first few weeks or so where the withdrawl symptoms are at their worst.

I think there are three stages that have to be treated individually.

The first is the withdrawl period.

The second is a period lasting several months or more where your body has neither the nicotine to satiate receptors in the brain, nor has it completely re-started generating it's own endorphins in normal quantities either. This period is particularly helped by the artificial inducement of exercise to get your biochemistry back to normal.

The third is the psychological residue of being triggered etc.. that can last for varied lengths of time. This is the stuff that's treatable by behavior modification ... removing the chair from in front of the telephone if you smoke on the phone (forces you to stand and cut short conversations) ... removing ashtrays ... substituting other behaviors for smoking behavior etc..

By the way ... I think relying on the 'gradual' method of using nicotine gum and patches etc is *completely* the wrong approach ... as is "cutting back" to a couple smokes a week. Though these two artifices may help to make the quitting "ledge" you are about to jump off a bit lower ... IF that is you actually jump!
Sooooo many people I know simply substitute the patch or gum for some cigarettes ... then go right back to their regular smoking habits. The patch and gum for them were nothing more than a "different cigarette".

If you are going to *quit* ... in the literal sense of the word ... then you are quitting ... cold turkey. If not ... then you are not "quitting".

For those who have smoked so long that they have significant, relatively permanent changes to their brain chemistry which make "typical" successful quitting strategies not an option; I believe the answer is to use the same sort of detox treatment that are used to treat other substances. This means inpatient or outpatient ... and follow-up group support participation untill you are comfortable with going it on your own.

I have a friend in this position. He has smoked since we both started about 30 years ago ... he is *horribly* desperate to stop and has tried everything. He is angry and disillusioned ... this was my advice to him. He is still considering it.

Insurance plans may cover such treatment. I noted to him that this does not hold the same stigma that getting treatment for heroin (for instance) carries ... he will look like a hero to his employer and anyone who knows, as having taken control and successfully quit.

I should say, I do smoke a cigar about one every second or third month (yup, usually at a nice bar). I started "collecting" cigars about 6 years ago and at first smoked about 5 a week (not inhaling). Stopped that after about 4 months and dropped off to my current level. I never went thru any 'withdrawl' or difficulty in doing so.
Now, often 3 or 4 months go by without my having a cigar ... it really depends on whether I go out to a nice place to smoke one.

"we are bigger than US Steel" ... Hyman Roth and Meyer Lansky
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70238
06/04/04 02:03 AM
06/04/04 02:03 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Partagas:
The gum costs roughly $.50 each so I should look at it as "eating" another dollar each time I pop 2 pieces in my mouth.

Have you heard of any risks associated with the nicotine gum?
Besides coma ? Nah, not really... :p

I would really cut back to "only" 4mg at a time... jeez, I'm almost ready to cut down to 2mg after this latest box of gum...

Go to BJ's -- you can get a box of 192 of the 4MG jobs for "only" $65 -- that's only 34c a piece!

Went to the bar tonight, and started out pretty well. Lit a couple for my friend later on, though... but, still in control... I can do this...!

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70240
06/04/04 02:21 AM
06/04/04 02:21 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Sorry, TonyD, but I have to disagree with you in some things...

First of all, everyone is different -- so one method won't necessarily work for someone else.

Secondly, surely you cannot deny that someone who may smoke 2-3 cigarettes per WEEK is better off than someone who still smokes 300 per week (like I was)!

Thirdly, it has everything to do with the person's mental state. A mentally strong person would get thru it a bit easier than a mentally weak person (and by strong and weak, I mean, as far as handling the physical dependance). And I do admit, I have been pretty weak in the past! But even if the only motivation is to "save face" - that's motivation enough, I hope, to keep it up....

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70241
06/04/04 02:25 AM
06/04/04 02:25 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Partagas:
Before I go to anywhere called "BJ's" I need to know who is behind the counter
BJ's is short for "blow jobs" -- and for the money, it's really reasonable, buying in bulk! :p

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70243
06/04/04 08:49 AM
06/04/04 08:49 AM
Hell
Mike Sullivan Offline
Underboss
Mike Sullivan  Offline
Underboss
Hell
JG,

If you don't stop soon, you will have irreversable effects on your lungs...

My Godfather stoped smoking 5 years ago and now he has emphazima.

I suggest you stop before something like that happenes to you...

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70244
06/04/04 08:59 AM
06/04/04 08:59 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sullivan:
JG,

If you don't stop soon, you will have irreversable effects on your lungs...

My Godfather stoped smoking 5 years ago and now he has emphazima.

I suggest you stop before something like that happenes to you...
Good point. I suggest he stops smoking before he needs a lung taken out because quite frankly JG, you're no John Wayne. Sure, he got back on his horses and returned to film making after having a lung taken out but for us ordinary folk it isn't as easy as that.

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70245
06/04/04 09:09 AM
06/04/04 09:09 AM
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Raulito:
My dad had been smoking since he was 29 years old,
How do you START smoking after the age of 16? I seriously don't know ANYONE who has started smoking after the legal age limit. People know better after that.

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70247
06/04/04 11:00 AM
06/04/04 11:00 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Went to the bar tonight, and started out pretty well. Lit a couple for my friend later on, though... but, still in control... I can do this...!
Maybe you should give up going to bars.

(remembering I'm talking to Geoff) Never mind! :p

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70248
06/04/04 11:07 AM
06/04/04 11:07 AM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Im not a smoker, so I wouldnt know about how hard it is to quit, but my mom smoker for 20 some years, then quit when she was pregant w/ my brother.(I guess I'm not important enough to qiut smoking for )Anyway, what helped her was that she cut a pencil down to the right size and whenever she had a craving, she puffed on the pencil.Sounds stupid, but it worked.
Anyhoo, good luck quiting.Its worth it if you can.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70249
06/04/04 12:20 PM
06/04/04 12:20 PM
Detroit
TonyD Offline
Underboss
TonyD  Offline
Underboss
Detroit
Quote:
Sorry, TonyD, but I have to disagree with you in some things...

First of all, everyone is different -- so one method won't necessarily work for someone else.

Secondly, surely you cannot deny that someone who may smoke 2-3 cigarettes per WEEK is better off than someone who still smokes 300 per week (like I was)!

Thirdly, it has everything to do with the person's mental state. A mentally strong person would get thru it a bit easier than a mentally weak person (and by strong and weak, I mean, as far as handling the physical dependance). And I do admit, I have been pretty weak in the past! But even if the only motivation is to "save face" - that's motivation enough, I hope, to keep it up....

JG, I mostly agree on all three points ...

>> First of all, everyone is different -- so one method won't necessarily work for someone else.

Particularly I stand corrected on the word "completely" ... (as in gum/patches "are 'completely' the wrong approach" ... )
("completely" is an absolute like "never" or "always" ... rarely accurate)
I don't know what the hell came over me :-) ... low blood suger or somethin' :p

Let me change that statement to "often seems to be" ... an observation from the number of people I know that have used nicotine replacement methods unsuccessfully ... temporarily helped them stop inhaling smoke, but not quit nicotine. Though, I must admit I do know a number who eventually took the final leap and quit.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the success rate of actually quitting is with replacement methods?

I agree, when you consider how many things can contribute to quitting, ... whether taking a medication, patches, gum, running, avoiding triggers, stepping down the number of cigarettes, group help ... if it gets you to the goal, then it works for you (kinda Buddhist ... 'where ever you are, there you are' :-)... what actually clicks for a person is their own combination.
(Motivations too ... like for ones children, health etc)

My only reason for mentioning the running thing was that it was so important when I quit from 2-1/2 packs a day.

>> Secondly, surely you cannot deny that someone who may smoke 2-3 cigarettes per WEEK is better off than someone who still smokes 300 per week (like I was)!

2 or 3 per week is certainly much better. I meant it only in the context of actually "quitting" though.
Like I noted in that post ... as long as a person actually takes the final step off that ledge and quits ... then they've quit. (sheesh, sounds like Yogi Berra)
But for as long as one smokes, the action of the drug nicotine is still playing the same roll in the physical addiction as it did at 10 cigs per week, or 20 cigs per week. If ones (at least interim) goal is to "cut down" but not quit right away ... yes, 2 or 3 is *much* better.

>> Thirdly, it has everything to do with the person's mental state. A mentally strong person would get thru it a bit easier than a mentally weak person (and by strong and weak, I mean, as far as handling the physical dependance).

Yup, people definitely have different levels of pain tolerance. I do have an unusually high pain threshold ... that could very well be why I was able to quit (I must admit) without a lot of really unpleasant side effects, even though I had chain-smoked incessantly.

I think *breaking* an addiction to any drug is, in the end game, an 'all or nothing' propasition (The "Substance Abuse Treatment" world believes this as gospel). Other forms of addiction treatment don't entertain 'mild' uses of the substance. In the final analysis I think there's a difference between the intent to stop and the intent to cut back ... one is breaking the addiction, the other is not ... but certainly both are very good things. And while the action of cutting back can help with quitting ... there's a case to be made for keeping in mind how separate the two are. A distinction that can get lost too easily I think.

"we are bigger than US Steel" ... Hyman Roth and Meyer Lansky
Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70250
06/05/04 10:13 AM
06/05/04 10:13 AM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SC:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J Geoff:
[qb] Went to the bar tonight, and started out pretty well. Lit a couple for my friend later on, though... but, still in control... I can do this...!
[/QUOTE

I take it at the bar scene, you did not smoke.
Congrats! you are well on you way.

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70251
06/07/04 08:49 PM
06/07/04 08:49 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
Geoff, no more posting...are you still on the wagon?

Re: Stop Smoking Support Thread #70252
06/07/04 08:56 PM
06/07/04 08:56 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Hey, you're right, it's the 2 week anniversary when I wake up tomorrow! Wow, time flies when you're (not) having fun!

I'm not gonna lie and say I've been 100% smoke-free -- one or two at the bar per week I don't consider a failure -- but that's been it! Still chewing the Nicorette. I think after this box I can (or at least should) drop down to the 2MG gum before I get totally addicted to it like Partagas! But hell, being addicted to the gum is still infinitely better than smoking, for your body.

Thanks for asking I really want to try hard cuz after making this public, I don't wanna look bad so soon!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull