GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 246 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,774
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cast reunion in New York April 29 #908292
03/09/17 09:50 AM
03/09/17 09:50 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #908302
03/09/17 11:39 AM
03/09/17 11:39 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: mustachepete
Coppola, Pacino, De Niro, Keaton, Duvall, Caan and Shire:

http://pagesix.com/2017/03/08/big-godfather-cast-reunion-set-for-tribeca-film-festival/

Reunion hell! They're plotting a Godfather IV.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #908379
03/10/17 02:36 PM
03/10/17 02:36 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Olivant that is how older actors hope to get financing. I think I saw Keaton in Hair original cast on Broadway. Duvall is in his mid 80s now.

Remember when Caan throw Gianni a beating on a Hun 16 street and you can see his punch missed, but they didn't reshoot that scene. smile

Do you know that guy fucked Marlyn Monroe when he was 16.

only the unloved hate
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: olivant] #908471
03/11/17 05:35 PM
03/11/17 05:35 PM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Originally Posted By: olivant
Coppola, Pacino, De Niro, Keaton, Duvall, Caan and Shire:

http://pagesix.com/2017/03/08/big-godfather-cast-reunion-set-for-tribeca-film-festival/

Reunion hell! They're plotting a Godfather IV.

Naaah, they just want everyone to sign off on a Blu-ray release of The Chronological Godfather... cool

Quote:
Following back-to-back screenings of The Godfather and The Godfather Part II (for a total of 378 minutes!), the movie's stars and its director, the legendary Francis Ford Coppola, will host a Tribeca Film Festival panel discussion in honor of the 45th anniversary of the first film's release at Radio City Music Hall. Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire and Robert De Niro will all be on hand for the April 29 reunion, which will close out the 2017 festival.

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #909518
03/26/17 10:46 PM
03/26/17 10:46 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
If this panel discussion took questions from the audience (and they have to answer), and you could have three moles there to ask questions, what would the questions be? For me:

1. Who killed the Tahoe shooters?
2. What was Questadt doing behind Roth in Havana?
3. Did Roth intend that Frankie would be killed?

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #909521
03/26/17 10:55 PM
03/26/17 10:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I'd love to be in the audience to hear the answers to the first two, Pete. As for the third, it's clear that the answer is: No.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #909525
03/26/17 11:48 PM
03/26/17 11:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I still maintain that they were plotting a GFIV. Thank God they were uncovered. But those are the questions I would have asked.

However, if the policeman had not entered the bar, would Aiello have released the garrot anyway. If he did, then Frankie would have probably survived to testify against Michael. On the other hand, given that Frankie was elderly, his near-garroting and being dragged by the neck to the rear of the bar could have resulted in a heart attack or any number of afflictions that would have precluded his testifying or made it an iffy matter.

Last edited by olivant; 03/26/17 11:56 PM.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #909609
03/28/17 05:09 AM
03/28/17 05:09 AM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
According to this web portal, tickets are onsale now for the Saturday event (gala). $46 - $131.

http://www.radiocity.com/events/2017/april/tff-the-godfather.html

But when you link to buy, to the TM site, you get this message:

Sorry, tickets are currently not available. Please check back later.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #909677
03/28/17 08:12 PM
03/28/17 08:12 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
If this panel discussion took questions from the audience (and they have to answer), and you could have three moles there to ask questions, what would the questions be? For me:

1. Who killed the Tahoe shooters?
2. What was Questadt doing behind Roth in Havana?
3. Did Roth intend that Frankie would be killed?

Did anyone kill the Rosoto Brothers?

Why did Luca sqeek when he walked? They did not make rubber soles for his shoes back then.

They wanted to scare Frankie and make him believe Michael wanted him dead. I think the guy trying to strangle Frankie was Danny Aello.

only the unloved hate
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: olivant] #909757
03/29/17 09:32 PM
03/29/17 09:32 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I still maintain that they were plotting a GFIV.

Come to think of it, they could do a prequel, using that youthening CGI stuff that Scorsese is using for the Hoffa movie.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #909772
03/29/17 11:52 PM
03/29/17 11:52 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I still maintain that they were plotting a GFIV.

Come to think of it, they could do a prequel, using that youthening CGI stuff that Scorsese is using for the Hoffa movie.

See Pete, the plot thickens.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #909884
03/31/17 07:55 PM
03/31/17 07:55 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I was trying to think of a question that would tie specifically to the first movie, and I guess it would be if Coppola and Puzo ever discussed the number of New York families. They obviously came down on five for the movie, but it'd be interesting to know if it was a non - issue or if Coppola had to hold Puzo's head in the toilet till the issue was resolved.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911575
04/30/17 01:00 PM
04/30/17 01:00 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911583
04/30/17 03:42 PM
04/30/17 03:42 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I was there! cool

It was amazing seeing all those actors and Francis talking about the first two films for over an hour. And guess what? What I didn't know was Tribeca streamed it live on Facebook last night, and you can still watch it at https://www.facebook.com/Tribeca/ (also below) -- it starts 13 minutes in:

https://www.facebook.com/Tribeca/videos/10155349890254758/

Last edited by J Geoff; 04/30/17 10:31 PM. Reason: fixed video link

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911590
04/30/17 08:43 PM
04/30/17 08:43 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
5 Things We Learned From Tribeca's 'Godfather' Reunion

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/5-things-we-learned-from-tribecas-godfather-reunion-w479616

It may not have been as momentous as the heads of the five families meeting for a Mob-war peace treaty. But the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival's Godfather event – which reunited director Francis Ford Coppola, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, James Caan, Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall and Talia Shire – gave festivalgoers the opportunity to see the key players of the Oscar-winning Mafia dramas talk about the original 1972 movie and its equally celebrated 1974 sequel before a sold-out crowd at Radio City Music Hall. (One assumes they were convinced to converse about these classics in honor of the first movie's recent 45th anniversary, though maybe the festival simply made them an offer they couldn't ... well, you know.)

Following back-to-back screenings of the first two films, the panel's participants and moderator Taylor Hackford shuffled out to a row of chairs, arranged in a setting that resembled the Don's den (complete with a portrait of Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone and a bust of a horse's head), and quickly dove into an hour-plus discussion of their memories in making what's become the touchstones for modern cinema du Cosa Nostra. Over the past four and a half decades, these movies that have been pored over and picked clean regarding their behind-the-scenes drama and backstage shenanigans. So you'd think there might not be anything more to say – the stories of how the studio just wanted an exploitative quickie, how Coppola had to fight to keep his job and how no one wanted to hire a box-office-poison Brando or a relatively unknown Pacino have been recounted in countless making-of docs, books and biographies.

But that didn't mean there weren't a couple of anecdotes and answers that perked up the ears of jaded Godfather scholars. Here were five things that caught our attention.

1. Coppola had talked to Brando before The Godfather – about playing the lead in The Conversation
The filmmaker recalls reading the New York Times one Sunday morning while he was living in San Francisco and having an ad for Mario Puzo's book – which featured the now-iconic image of marionette strings – catch his eye. "I thought it looked like an intellectual book about power," he recalled. Then the first of two coincidences happened: Producers Al Ruddy and Gray Frederickson, who'd end up producing the adaptation "but weren't associated with The Godfather yet," happened to be in town shooting a film, and stopped by Coppola's house to say hello.

Then came the second one: While the three men were shooting the breeze, the phone rang – and it was Brando on the line. Coppola had never spoken to the star or met him before, but he had submitted a script he'd been working on, called The Conversation, to the legendary actor. The future Don Corleone had personally rang up the director to say he was turning down the story of a surveillance expert (which would eventually be played by Gene Hackman, when Coppola made the movie in between the two Godfather films). But the odd coming-together of these three things at once, the filmmaker says, still amaze him to this day.

2. Pacino and Diane Keaton got really drunk together after filming the wedding sequence
It was no secret that producer Robert Evans were not crazy about casting the Italian-American theater actor as Michael Corleone, and that he wanted an actor like Robert Redford to play the young Don-to-be. ("Listen, there are blond, blue-eyed Sicilians," Coppola pointed out to the audience. "The French were there for 200 years.") And Pacino had told the filmmaker that it was okay if it didn't work out, because "don't worry, we'll work together on something else." Even after he'd been filming for a while, the powers that be wanted someone else in the role ("I kept testing even after I got the part," he says), and it wasn't until Coppola bumped up the scene where Michael shoots Sollozzo in the restaurant in the production schedule – so the brass at Paramount could see that Al could nail this – that Pacino had truly secured his place.

Still, that didn't stop Pacino from fretting that he was completely in over his head, and he recalled how early on in the shoot, he and Diane Keaton went back to their hotel and hit the sauce. "We got so loaded after that wedding sequence," the actor says, "We were theater actors, and we were not used to film. The whole thing had sort of a surreal feel to it. So we got back and started drinking: 'Where do we go from here, we're done, it's over! This is the worst film ever made!'" He eventually got over it, he admits. As for Keaton, she is still unsure why she was cast. "I heard it was because Francis thought I was eccentric," she says.

3. The gentleman who played hitman Luca Brasi may have, shall we say, done real-life research for the part
There have been rumors over the years that Lenny Montana, the hulking former wrestler from Brooklyn who played Don Corleone's muscle, may have been more than a little familiar with the world that was being portrayed in The Godfather. Coppola recalls asking Montana if he would be able to convincingly do the scene where Brasi sits on his bed, loads his gun with bullets and spins the chamber. The actor's response, according to the director, was "Are you kiddin' me?" Hackford asked the filmmaker if Lenny was, in fact, "the real deal." The silent, exaggerated shrug that was Coppola reply got the biggest laugh of the night.

4. Talia Shire was the one who came up with idea that Kay would have had an abortion
When the panelists were asked about seeing the film again after all these years, Diane Keaton recalled recently watching the films again on her laptop, and really being blown away by Talia Shire's performance as Connie Corleone. "She had me in tears watching what she did with the part," Keaton admits, "and this was on a fucking computer!" Coppola then admitted that it was his sister Talia who came up with the idea that Kay's "miscarriage" in Part II was actually a terminated pregnancy – a key revelation that she will no longer be complicit in "this Sicilian thing." As for the director's sibling, she had to beg her brother for an audition; he was opposed to casting her as Connie initially because the character was "the homely Italian sister" and he didn't picture her that way. She kept insisting, he relented, and she got the part.

5. Marlon Brando had more impressive testicles than Robert Duvall
The Method acting legend's penchant for pranks on the set of The Godfather has become the stuff of legend, and James Caan recalls how, during the funeral scene, he nearly got a hernia lifting the Don's coffin; he later found out that Brando had filled the coffin with weights to make three times as heavy. (Caan's imitation of Brando's laugh, by the way, is priceless.) It was Duvall, however, who won the anecdote competition regarding His Marlon-ness. The cast kept trying to crack each other by engaging in an on-set mooning contest, and during the wedding scene, the older actor and Duvall decided to drop trou, despite the fact that Coppola reminded them "there are women and children present, Bobby!" After the two men had bared all, a woman approached the man playing consigliere Tom Hagen. "Mr. Duvall, you are fine," he remembers, "but my god, did you see the balls on that Brando?!?"

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911606
04/30/17 10:29 PM
04/30/17 10:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Can someone hand Al a brush or comb?

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #911608
04/30/17 10:58 PM
04/30/17 10:58 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: U talkin' da me ??

The Method acting legend's penchant for pranks on the set of The Godfather has become the stuff of legend, and James Caan recalls how, during the funeral scene, he nearly got a hernia lifting the Don's coffin; he later found out that Brando had filled the coffin with weights to make three times as heavy.

Caan must be losing it. Sonny was dead long before Vito's funeral. Brando pulled his weights prank on the hospital bed that carried him upstairs after he returned from the hospital.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: Turnbull] #911611
04/30/17 11:50 PM
04/30/17 11:50 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: U talkin' da me ??

The Method acting legend's penchant for pranks on the set of The Godfather has become the stuff of legend, and James Caan recalls how, during the funeral scene, he nearly got a hernia lifting the Don's coffin; he later found out that Brando had filled the coffin with weights to make three times as heavy.

Caan must be losing it. Sonny was dead long before Vito's funeral. Brando pulled his weights prank on the hospital bed that carried him upstairs after he returned from the hospital.

Actually Caan was correct in this interview. He specifically said "when Brando came home from the hospital" scene.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911651
05/01/17 05:56 PM
05/01/17 05:56 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
It was nice to check out what shoes and socks the cast was wearing... Pacino in hi-tops!!! smile

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911652
05/01/17 06:01 PM
05/01/17 06:01 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Most of the cast with Matt Lauer on the Today Show (-Keaton & Coppola)

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911675
05/02/17 07:06 AM
05/02/17 07:06 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
It seems like they spent the great majority of their time on the relatively well - known story of production of The Godfather, and not much was said about Part 2 except for how De Niro prepared to step into Brando ' s role?

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911680
05/02/17 09:05 AM
05/02/17 09:05 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
They almost talked about Godfather 3. Almost smile

only the unloved hate
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911681
05/02/17 09:10 AM
05/02/17 09:10 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Hey Robert D did not call trump a mut in this? I would have seen Bronx tale on Broadway but not after I found it he produced it.

only the unloved hate
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911686
05/02/17 11:12 AM
05/02/17 11:12 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Anyone else notice this??! eek eek

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: J Geoff] #911688
05/02/17 11:38 AM
05/02/17 11:38 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Maybe intentional. But, a nice touch in any case.

I still think that we need to take up a collection to buy Pacino a comb or brush.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911691
05/02/17 12:03 PM
05/02/17 12:03 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Nice one, just a pity that De Niro hardly said a word..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: DE NIRO] #911694
05/02/17 02:59 PM
05/02/17 02:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
DeNiro never has much to say in interviews. He's the Bob Dylan of movies.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #911714
05/02/17 06:07 PM
05/02/17 06:07 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline OP
Special
mustachepete  Offline OP
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
De Niro may be the Dylan of movie interviews, but Pacino is the Dylan of movie hair.

Re: Cast reunion in New York April 29 [Re: mustachepete] #912476
05/11/17 06:53 PM
05/11/17 06:53 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Yes Caan was right, it was when Vito came home from the hospital, not when he died.

I would have loved to have been there and asked those 2 questions (the first two) as well Pete. Too bad we couldn't submit some questions!! That whole deal was pretty cool to hear. Props to DeNiro for putting it together!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull