GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 214 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,698
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,225
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,391
Posts1,060,052
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Capo's film of the week #69714
03/07/04 07:03 PM
03/07/04 07:03 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline OP
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline OP

Gateshead, UK
The Krays was awful, The Game very overrated, and not much else of a chance to make up for it (as I've been watching The Shield all week). A poor week with regard to both quantity and quality this week, save for two candidates: the highly recommended In The Bedroom, which missed out on a Top 100 place, and....

Gosford Park
(2001/Altman/GB)

It's 1932 in rainy rural England and the setting is Sir William McCordy and wife Lady Silvia's country home. The owners of the house have thrown a weekend of bird shooting, dinners and parties, cardgames and some splendid, enviable piano-playing for their many friends, a batch of upper class, stuff-lipped folk who bring along their maids and servants for the ride. As the guests gather upstairs, the servants work, converse and gossip downstairs. Then the murder occurs....

Despite what the film claims, this is NOT "Robert Altman meets Agatha Christie". The murder occurs an hour into the film, and the anticipated whodunnit never delivers in the way it suggests throughout. In fact, the murder should never really happen in the film. The preceding hour is one of the finest, interesting and original hours I've watched in recent months.

The pacing is a delight as we hurtle through a hectic opening twenty minutes, sacrificing getting to know characters all that well in order to show the grand scale of the party ahead. But then we do get to know the characters, mostly through the verbal exchanges of the gossiping others. We never really get to know the characters with real depth though, which is a shame, as it certainly looks that way in the first half of the film.

The overlapping dialogue and long-take filming that goes from one batch of gossipers to the next is a treat to watch. The different characters and how their mutliple storylines interwine are brilliantly written for, and acted out with such ease that it makes this film one of the freshest and compelling films to come out of the 21st century. It hasn't really got a story in the first hour or so, but the conversational tone keeps it going at a splendid pace--very much like Magnolia--as the storylines unfold with secrets, lies, deciet, romance, and....

Murder. And this is where the Agatha Christie connection comes (it turning, or at least attempting to turn, into a murder mystery). The thing is, while Christie's novels do, I suspect, pick up the pace after the murder, this film runs a bit sour and lacking. The conversations are no longer there, the editing more snappy and not as easy flowing, the acting a bit dry, and the characters unrealistic in their reaction to a death at the house--it seems as if nobody cares, not even the dead's spouse.

It isn't a turn for the worst, so long as you are expecting it. If you want a murder mystery, you'll be crying in disappointment, but luckily the enormous ensemble cast keeps this going until the surprisingly downbeat ending. But the pace and absorbingness with which it delivers itself disappears somewhat; the introduction of Stephen Fry's inspector gives it potential newfound zest, but it leads nowhere and you wonder why they put him in.

But you shouldn't hold it against the film too much--Altman himself said he wasn't really bothered too much about the murder part (and this film would have been even better had it not included it, and instead just continued with its fastpaced and interweaving conversations and developing relationships).

I must say, the wit with which it is written, the freshness with which it is directed, and the pace with which it is edited, with a subtly restrained score, combined with some impressive characters development and splendid acting, this is a fine film that shows Altman as a great filmmaker (it's my first Altman film, coincidentally).

8.5/10

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Capo's film of the week #69715
03/07/04 08:15 PM
03/07/04 08:15 PM
D.C./ MD or somewhere between
Scarface4ever Offline
Capo
Scarface4ever  Offline
Capo
D.C./ MD or somewhere between
ive seen it, i didnt like it ** of ****

A Couple of Bulls Are Sitting On A Hill Looking Down Toward A Herd Of Cows, The Young Bull Says "Dad, Lets Run Down The Hill And Fuck One Of Those Cows" The Older Bull Says "No Son, Lets Walk Down The Hill And Fuck Them All" -Colors
Re: Capo's film of the week #69716
03/09/04 10:19 AM
03/09/04 10:19 AM
Michigan
Hollywood Hagan Offline
Underboss
Hollywood Hagan  Offline
Underboss
Michigan
I liked Gosford Park, but I wouldn't go so far as to put it in my Top 50. At any rate, good review. Keep up the good work.

J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!
Re: Capo's film of the week #69717
03/09/04 09:17 PM
03/09/04 09:17 PM
E
ed crane Offline
Wiseguy
ed crane  Offline
E
Wiseguy
Nice review.

If you like Altman be sure to check out The Player, Mcabe and Mrs Miller and Nashville.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull