GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 293 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,848
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
the electoral college. #898301
11/12/16 03:19 PM
11/12/16 03:19 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
is it possible to change this abomination known as the electoral college? it's already cost the democrats two elections.
can the people get enough resolve to finally recognize the democratic principal as THE POPULAR VOTE !!

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898304
11/12/16 03:30 PM
11/12/16 03:30 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
The last time that the candidate who won the popular vote didn't get into office, it resulted in one of the worst presidencies ever. There's something about having a president that most of the country doesn't want that just has a bad vibe. Won't bode well for Trump, that's for sure. Could be why he's already moving to the center. Between this and the mass protests, the writing is on the wall.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: the electoral college. [Re: OakAsFan] #898307
11/12/16 04:14 PM
11/12/16 04:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It'd take a Constitutional amendment to get rid of the Electoral College.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898310
11/12/16 05:06 PM
11/12/16 05:06 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Get rid of the Electoral College and there will be an unbalanced system. Meaning a candidate would only have to campaign in cities instead of the countryside and win. That is unfair. This system was put in place for a reason. Equal representation. If you have a problem with this system, then I suggest you fix the gerrymandering going on in districts.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898311
11/12/16 05:17 PM
11/12/16 05:17 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Or the Democrats can just embrace the angry rural white folks, as the NY Times suggested, even going so far as to criticize the Dems for considering Keith Ellison as DNC chair. ugh. What a difference a day makes. It's like 2004 all over again.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #898316
11/12/16 05:58 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Get rid of the Electoral College and there will be an unbalanced system. Meaning a candidate would only have to campaign in cities instead of the countryside and win. That is unfair. This system was put in place for a reason. Equal representation. If you have a problem with this system, then I suggest you fix the gerrymandering going on in districts.

fixing the gerrymandering would be a great start to reform, we do need something better, the electoral college is outdated

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Turnbull] #898317
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
It'd take a Constitutional amendment to get rid of the Electoral College.

then lets have the amendment.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898318
11/12/16 06:05 PM
11/12/16 06:05 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
The Founders created the electoral college to give all the states a fair shake at electing a president. Without it, many states wouldn't have representation at all. That was the point of founding the United States -- that we have many different states that are united together.

Anyway, there will (probably) never be an amendment to get rid of the electoral college. In order for a constitutional amendment passed it would require approval of 38 states -- including a lot of those states that would lose out by passing the amendment.

Getting rid of it also brings us closer to a tyranny of the majority. This is like Binnie's neighbors getting together and with a 51+% of the vote decide to confiscate his house. To avoid this, the Founders believed in checks and balances, wise men, and the rule of law.

If you want fairer representation within the electoral college system then get rid of "winner take all" and make it proportional. Winner take all isn't fair because a candidate can win with 51% of the vote and the other voters are totally disenfranchised. Currently every state except Maine and Nebraska have winner-take-all elections. It's a much easier fix than a Constitutional amendment.

Last edited by Faithful1; 11/12/16 06:05 PM.
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898320
11/12/16 06:24 PM
11/12/16 06:24 PM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss
Candidates campaign differently in order to win electoral college votes. And most likely people's choice wether to vote or not is influenced by this system.

for example, a Trump supporter in California might not bother to vote at all, knowing their state isn't go to elect their candidate anyway, so that's less votes overall that go away. It also works the other way around too. Many people will vote 3rd party as a protest vote, if they don't live in a swing state but would otherwise have went with one of the major candidates had the popular vote been the way to win. So it still isn't clear that the final outcome would've been the same or different.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898321
11/12/16 06:25 PM
11/12/16 06:25 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
The founders were genius I posted a you tube on another thread you should look at it.

It done so it is very hard to fix an election.

only the unloved hate
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898331
11/12/16 07:25 PM
11/12/16 07:25 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
As was hinted above, if they counted only the popular vote then strategies would change, and we don't really know how things would turn out.

In a practical sense, eliminating the College would make presidential elections fabulously expensive, even by current standards, because the state boundaries do let the candidates identify safe, swing, and lost areas and decide where to allocate money.

As mentioned above, the College makes fraud less beneficial, because its effect is restricted to one state. In 1860, Lincoln drew only about 25,000 votes in slave-holding states, with about two-thirds of those around St. Louis. That wasn't because no one there wanted to vote for him - it was because he was left off ballots and votes that were cast weren't counted. He was credited with less than 5% of the votes in those states, but the damage was limited to those states and Lincoln took the election winning all of the states that honest elections.

People assert that Lincoln's election was a fluke because there were four candidates in the field, but he took more than 50% of the vote in states with 167 electoral votes, out of a total of 303 available.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898345
11/12/16 09:21 PM
11/12/16 09:21 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
We have to get an election where Republicans win the popular vote but not the electoral, just to compare their reactions to what they're saying now.

Last edited by OakAsFan; 11/12/16 09:22 PM.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: OakAsFan] #898352
11/12/16 11:33 PM
11/12/16 11:33 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
[quote=OakAsFan]We have to get an election where Republicans win the popular vote but not the electoral, just to compare their reactions to what they're saying now. [/quot

yes, a taste of their own medicine.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Faithful1] #898353
11/12/16 11:36 PM
11/12/16 11:36 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
The Founders created the electoral college to give all the states a fair shake at electing a president. Without it, many states wouldn't have representation at all. That was the point of founding the United States -- that we have many different states that are united together.

Anyway, there will (probably) never be an amendment to get rid of the electoral college. In order for a constitutional amendment passed it would require approval of 38 states -- including a lot of those states that would lose out by passing the amendment.

Getting rid of it also brings us closer to a tyranny of the majority. This is like Binnie's neighbors getting together and with a 51+% of the vote decide to confiscate his house. To avoid this, the Founders believed in checks and balances, wise men, and the rule of law.

If you want fairer representation within the electoral college system then get rid of "winner take all" and make it proportional. Winner take all isn't fair because a candidate can win with 51% of the vote and the other voters are totally disenfranchised. Currently every state except Maine and Nebraska have winner-take-all elections. It's a much easier fix than a Constitutional amendment.

getting rid of winner take all seems like a good option. I hope there is talk in congress of new proposals, getting rid of the current system.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898355
11/13/16 12:01 AM
11/13/16 12:01 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
The thing is, each state determines for itself if it's doing winner-takes-all or proportional. The best thing you can do is to work in YOUR state to rescind the current system.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898357
11/13/16 01:22 AM
11/13/16 01:22 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Hello everyone, long time since I've been here. Personally I don't think electoral college is a bad thing. In fact, for the reasons mustachepete mentioned, it's a great thing. I've always liked how the US's election results come out before all the votes have been counted. You can't change the rules when they aren't in your favor. And many people didn't vote because they knew they live in a state that their vote didn't matter, so you can't say Clinton would've won the popular vote if the rules were different.

She wasn't a likable or charismatic person. The fact that Obama beat her in the primary, or someone like Bernie Sanders who had almost no chance in the beginning, but at the end was putting her campaign in danger goes to show how she was not popular within the democratic party, let alone the country. Democratic party had greater and younger potential candidates like Cory Booker, Castro brothers, heck, even the old Elizabeth Warren, but she made sure they wouldn't run to ensure her nomination. She just was not going to win. But I doubt even if you shouted this into her face, she would have accepted it.

Last edited by afsaneh77; 11/13/16 01:23 AM.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898359
11/13/16 02:46 AM
11/13/16 02:46 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
On Cory Booker he sold his soul to some in the Democratic Party when Romney ran against Obama.

His city made a lot of money investing in Romney's money fund for his city of Newark. When Obama ran against Romney he denounced the Romney fund and Romney personally.

Just another low life that fucks his friends.

I hate people who fucks their friends for any reason. Friends are hard to come by at least for me.

My oldest friend is still my friend today because when he is your friend he is your friend no matter what you may have done in the past.

only the unloved hate
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898366
11/13/16 05:32 AM
11/13/16 05:32 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
No way, Cory Booker can not be trusted. Elizabeth Warren doesn't want to run for president. These names are what the media puts out there.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898367
11/13/16 06:15 AM
11/13/16 06:15 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Warren only didn't want to run because Hillary paid her a visit. If Hillary had not run, Warren would have. And it's a pity that she didn't do it anyway. Now someone who really doesn't want to run, is Michelle Obama. Booker has a charismatic character. I think anyone of them could've beaten any other candidate from GOP.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898368
11/13/16 06:22 AM
11/13/16 06:22 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
It was always about the economy and trump has more experience in that realm then anybody else. He would have won anyway if he could shut his big mouth and just ran on that issue.

On warren isn't she the one who was 1/20th Indian, but went to college on a minority schorlorship. Had the hell did she over come that lie.

only the unloved hate
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898393
11/13/16 11:55 AM
11/13/16 11:55 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
is it possible to change this abomination known as the electoral college? it's already cost the democrats two elections.
can the people get enough resolve to finally recognize the democratic principal as THE POPULAR VOTE !!

I don't agree with majority rule or mob rule, which is what pure democracy truly is. Instead we have a republic thing going on which allows the minority to veto things that might interfere with their most basic and innate rights.

Democrats might have lost this election to the unpopular vote, maybe, we shall see, but Democrats definitely did not lose the election to Bush Jr. due to the electoral college. That was election theft and the Supreme Court intervening. From what I understand, if a full recount were permitted, Al Gore would have won not only the popular vote, but also the electoral college majority.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Alfa Romeo] #898404
11/13/16 01:51 PM
11/13/16 01:51 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo

I don't agree with majority rule or mob rule, which is what pure democracy truly is. Instead we have a republic thing going on which allows the minority to veto things that might interfere with their most basic and innate rights.

Democrats might have lost this election to the unpopular vote, maybe, we shall see, but Democrats definitely did not lose the election to Bush Jr. due to the electoral college. That was election theft and the Supreme Court intervening. From what I understand, if a full recount were permitted, Al Gore would have won not only the popular vote, but also the electoral college majority.

they are still counting votes, and Hillary is up 1.8 million votes, with a million more to be counted in calif. that's a huge lead, and reflective of the no-sense electoral college.
a stolen presidency?

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Alfa Romeo] #898406
11/13/16 01:52 PM
11/13/16 01:52 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA

That's not true at all. Following the decision the Washington Post and the Miami Herald did their own investigations and concluded that Bush would have won. Neither newspaper has a history of being pro-GOP, by the way. And don't forget that Gore wanted to prevent the military ballots from being counted, and they generally are more GOP-friendly.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898411
11/13/16 02:36 PM
11/13/16 02:36 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia

a stolen presidency?

I'm not really replying to the poster, but for next person who comes along: when the system was made up over 200 years ago, hardly anyone lived in cities and California was sort-of subject to Spain. You can argue the merits of the Electoral College system, but the notion that people back then were designing the system to steal elections today is just ludicrous.

Last edited by mustachepete; 11/13/16 02:38 PM.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898412
11/13/16 03:03 PM
11/13/16 03:03 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss

they are still counting votes, and Hillary is up 1.8 million votes, with a million more to be counted in calif. that's a huge lead, and reflective of the no-sense electoral college.
a stolen presidency?

Don't forget binnie they are going to steal your social security away from you as well.

Instead of trying to win the small states during the election instead just campaign in the big states. Fuck the small states not enough people to give a shit about.

Just try to get votes in the big states And no where else.

To bad when your SS gets taken away your going to starve to death no more pizza for you but their is always dog food.

only the unloved hate
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898416
11/13/16 03:17 PM
11/13/16 03:17 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
+1 @Faithful1
Gore was trying to prevent the votes from the military personnel back then, cause that would have given Bush a huge advantage.

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Binnie_Coll] #898425
11/13/16 04:53 PM
11/13/16 04:53 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I remember that Gore the invented of the internet and saver of global warming flyers around in a jet that pollutes the air another hippo crit is he still fat?

only the unloved hate
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Footreads] #898438
11/13/16 06:05 PM
11/13/16 06:05 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Footreads
I remember that Gore the invented of the internet and saver of global warming flyers around in a jet that pollutes the air another hippo crit is he still fat?

LOL, what Gore actually did when he was Senator Albert Gore of Tennessee, was write the legislation to expand the Department of Defense communication network known as ARPNET. Once the law was passed, ARPNET was expanded into what we call the internet today. The scientists that created the internet give Albert Gore the credit for making it a reality.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: the electoral college. [Re: Faithful1] #898440
11/13/16 06:17 PM
11/13/16 06:17 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Faithful1

That's not true at all. Following the decision the Washington Post and the Miami Herald did their own investigations and concluded that Bush would have won. Neither newspaper has a history of being pro-GOP, by the way. And don't forget that Gore wanted to prevent the military ballots from being counted, and they generally are more GOP-friendly.

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle...

FactCheck.Org

Re: the electoral college. [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #898444
11/13/16 06:46 PM
11/13/16 06:46 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Agree and this is why the electoral college was created.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull