GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 280 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,823
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New York City Celebrity Sighting #61773
06/08/03 12:57 AM
06/08/03 12:57 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
There have been threads about this before, and as a lifetime native New Yorker I've seen more than my share of celebs, but this is a good one...

My GF and I had dinner tonite at one of the top restaurants in New York, ATELIER, located in the Ritz Carlton Hotel on Central Park South.

Just outside the restaurant, and off the hotel lobby is a little piano bar. When we're done eating, I go out for a smoke, and whoi's sitting there goofing around on the piano? Billy Joel!

I wasn't really sure it was him, so when I get back to our table after my cigarette, I tell my GF, half kiddingly, that Billy Joel is outside playing the piano, so she says "yeah, right"

We linger for another 10-15 minutes, pay the check, and leave. When we get outside, there's Billy Joel, still playing. Only now the room is packed.

He does another 45 minutes, and plays a load of Beatles songs along with a few bars of most of his big hits.

For free. Amazing. Only in NYC.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61774
06/08/03 01:00 AM
06/08/03 01:00 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
That's great, PL! Billy is one of my favorites, of course... must've been great!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61775
06/08/03 01:03 AM
06/08/03 01:03 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Geez, what a great story, plawrence! But, considering what you probably paid for dinner, the hotel should have thrown in Pavarotti to sing along with The Piano Man. smile

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61776
06/08/03 01:07 AM
06/08/03 01:07 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by Turnbull:
considering what you probably paid for dinner, the hotel should have thrown in Pavarotti to sing along with The Piano Man. smile
Don't ask rolleyes But very good.

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61777
06/08/03 01:59 AM
06/08/03 01:59 AM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
That is cool!

In NYC I saw Roger Moore and all he did was sneer at me for stopping the elevator.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61778
06/08/03 02:13 AM
06/08/03 02:13 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
That's so cool P. Lawrence. I love Billy Joel!! I'm sure you won't forget that anytime soon.

Great story!!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61779
06/08/03 07:59 AM
06/08/03 07:59 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by plawrence:
My GF and I had dinner tonite at one of the top restaurants in New York, ATELIER, located in the Ritz Carlton Hotel on Central Park South.

You must be makin' book on the BB League (and doin' well at it!) tongue

Great story, plawrence. You're right, though. ONLY in New York.

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61780
06/08/03 08:18 AM
06/08/03 08:18 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline OP
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline OP
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Originally posted by SC:
You must be makin' book on the BB League
No, the Nets. Covered 13 of their last 16 smile

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61781
06/08/03 08:29 AM
06/08/03 08:29 AM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

I believe Paul McCartney had done something similar recently in a British club; he just sat down at a piano with Heather Mills and started playing his tunes... cool

Anyways, that's awesome man! Congrats on a celeb sighting plawrence! smile

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61782
06/08/03 10:27 AM
06/08/03 10:27 AM
Da Bronx
BronxKing Offline
Underboss
BronxKing  Offline
Underboss
Da Bronx
[Linked Image] Diana Ross has the rep of being Bitchy/bossy. In '82 or '83 I was on the Harlem side of Central Park and two of my friends and I saw Diana. My female friend called out "MISS ROSS!" She turned around with a big smile.

I'd seen and met many "stars" in NY (not a good one like PLaw) and I never choked. But Diana Ross's big smile had star quality. She was checking out locations for her free concert, and I managed to make her laugh (reference to the "Projects" where she grew up).

She even pulled down her limo window and waved. Very Nice. She was the complete antithesis of "bitch".

Foolish consistencies are the hobgoblins of little minds.
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61783
06/09/03 08:15 AM
06/09/03 08:15 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
pl - a truly New York State of Mind. I've seen a dozen or so celebs on the street; Alan King, Ron Silver, Don Adams, Howard Cosell, off the top of my head. But a truly impressive sight was seeing Pres. Bush - twice - ride by - in front of my building on Broad St. Once in October, after 9/11 and last May. Both times to address the NY Stock Exchange. The incredible thing about it is the amount of security. At least 50 motorcycle police, dozens of black vans, police cars, two black, stretch limo (which one is he in?) and cops lining the route. The Pres. lands at the heliport near the foot of Broad St and drives the three blocks up Broad St. The other cool thing about it was the Air Force One helicopters - 3 of them, plus 2 military copters. Quite impressive.

Another celeb sighting that was unique: I was in London on business. We were in a small office building and one of the locals told us that the restaurant next door was owned by Michael Caine. When we left for the day, outside a limo pulls up and out steps Mike himself. Cool Coincidence.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61784
06/09/03 09:11 AM
06/09/03 09:11 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I love to hear about celebrity sightings in NYC.

Here are a couple of mine:

Ron Silver (gosh, he does seem to get around!)
Bernadette Peters
Kenny Rogers
James Taylor
Susan Sarandon & Tim Robbins

Barbra Streisand (though technically, she doesn't count as a 'sighting' because my friend & I went to her building to seek her out - Barbra was not too thrilled about this)

But my favorite ever was a local newscaster named John Johnson. He'd been on CBS for many years & several months earlier I'd heard that he left his job to care for his elderly father, ailing with Alzheimer's. I found this quite admirable (since my mother had done virtually the same for our grandmother) and vowed to myself if I ever happened to see Mr. Johnson on a NYC street I would go right over & shake his hand. Well one day on the way to visit my friend on the Upper West Side - guess who was waiting to cross at a light!! Gotta tell you, I almost chickened out, but thought that if I didn't do this I would NEVER forgive myself. So I walked over and shook his hand and told him why. He was very appreciative and friendly, then each of us went out own way.

Can't tell you how thrilled I get whenever I that story!!

Best,
AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61785
06/09/03 01:50 PM
06/09/03 01:50 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

But my favorite ever was a local newscaster named John Johnson. He'd been on CBS for many years & several months earlier I'd heard that he left his job to care for his elderly father, ailing with Alzheimer's. I found this quite admirable (since my mother had done virtually the same for our grandmother) and vowed to myself if I ever happened to see Mr. Johnson on a NYC street I would go right over & shake his hand. Well one day on the way to visit my friend on the Upper West Side - guess who was waiting to cross at a light!! Gotta tell you, I almost chickened out, but thought that if I didn't do this I would NEVER forgive myself. So I walked over and shook his hand and told him why. He was very appreciative and friendly, then each of us went out own way.

Can't tell you how thrilled I get whenever I that story!!

Best,
AppleOnYa
Mr. Johnson now lives next door to my mother-in-law. He made her life hell this winter. They live on a private road and all the residents share the cost of a private plow to clean up the snow. Whenever the plow was late or didn't clean the road to his satisfaction, he'd call my mother-in-law to piss and moan.

Although my celebrity sightings are few and far between, I have shaken hands at several events with Governor Pataki and Sen. Clinton. Also, I did stay at the same hotel as Mickey Dolenz and Davey Jones last summer. Since I grew up having a huge crush on various Monkees (although Davey was always #1), I was in a swoon the entire time. I felt like Marcia Brady lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61786
06/09/03 02:05 PM
06/09/03 02:05 PM
UK
UK_Don Offline
Made Member
UK_Don  Offline
Made Member
UK
I met the late British Bulldog, Davey Boy Smith, at Busch Gardens, Florida in about 1992. That is about the most famous, I would imagine. Does it count?

Big Phil
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61787
06/09/03 02:14 PM
06/09/03 02:14 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

This isn't a NY sighting, but years ago when they were still married Jack Cassidy and Shirley Jones did a cabaret act at an arena in Maryland. They were not very popular, to say the least. Maybe 1000 people there tops. Their show isn't catered towards kids but I really liked them, so my 2 sisters took me. Mind you Jack Cassidy's been dead many years, I couldn't have been more then 10. They were into their act when as a stint Shirley did something to Jack that I just cracked up laughing, nearly rolling on the floors. Well, as maybe only 1 of 2 kids in the whole show this was something that caught their attention. After the show most people went to the dressing rooms to try to get a glimpse of the couple. Me and my 2 sisters are walking across the parking lot, when this stretch limo pulls up beside us, rolls down the window and it's Shirley and Jack. Jack said thanks for being a fan and they were tickled pink at my "outburst". Then autographed our programs. I was giddy all the way home. I lived Jack since the Phantom of the Opera. I cried like a baby when he died.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61788
06/09/03 02:25 PM
06/09/03 02:25 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Jack Cassidy's was one of those tragic lives & deaths that is the stuff of which showbiz legends are made.

Very talented but never quite achieving true star status, being eclipsed by both his wife AND his son David, and his ego not being able to deal with it (especially with David)...literally losing his mind & having a nervous breakdown during that tour Beth E referred to, and then dying all alone that way in that terrible apartment fire.

I've always felt sorry for Jack Cassidy.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61789
06/10/03 04:34 PM
06/10/03 04:34 PM
ScarfaceRH Offline
Underboss
ScarfaceRH  Offline
Underboss
not in NY but here in Cincinnati in a place called Willie's Sports Bar, Dick Vitalle (not sure on spelling)was there. i think he is a college basketball announcer guy (i'm not a big sports fan) yeah but they were giving out little masks of him. it was pretty cool.

Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61790
06/10/03 06:51 PM
06/10/03 06:51 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
I've saw Liz taylor in the early 1990's. She is incredible beautiful. She looked as though she was in her mid 30's. She is very short. But when she got up from her seat, she walked every bit of a 65 plus year old woman ohwell

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: New York City Celebrity Sighting #61791
06/10/03 10:44 PM
06/10/03 10:44 PM
Upstate New York
Ricardo Offline
Underboss
Ricardo  Offline
Underboss
Upstate New York
Originally posted by Double-J:
I believe Paul McCartney had done something similar recently in a British club; he just sat down at a piano with Heather Mills and started playing his tunes... cool

Anyways, that's awesome man! Congrats on a celeb sighting plawrence! smile
Yeah, and Busta Rhymes out of the goodness in his heart gave a free performance at a bar he was at and got mauled by a groupie, and since he burhsed the groupie off he can get up to 9 months in jail. Celebrities cant even perform without getting sued.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull