GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 291 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,673
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies #892719
09/03/16 03:39 PM
09/03/16 03:39 PM
G
gangstereport Offline OP
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline OP
G
Underboss

if anyone wants the last part of the article pm me cant put it here because of board rules

September 1, 2016 This Week in Gang Land
By Jerry Capeci

Gambino Wiseguy Joe The Cat Cashes In His Chips, At Age 99

Gang Land Exclusive!Joseph LaForteJoseph (Joe The Cat) LaForte, a longtime Gambino crime family soldier who amassed a small fortune in real estate and who for many years owned the Little Italy building where the late Mafia boss John Gotti held court at the Ravenite Social Club on Mulberry Street during his heyday, cashed in his chips last week at the ripe old age of 99.

LaForte hailed from Little Italy but moved decades ago to Staten Island where he ran the crime family's lucrative bookmaking operations. He died in his sleep in the early morning of August 23 in the home where he lived alone on Scheffelin Avenue in the exclusive, historic Lighthouse Hill section of the island that was settled by Dutch, French and English farmers in the late 1600s.

"They don't make 'em like that anymore," said one local denizen who knew LaForte, his background, and his family members for many years. "He was a low key, low-level soldier who made a lot of money and didn't piss it away. He bought property in SoHo and Little Italy when you could get it for a song and he lived off it for the rest of his life."

Ravenite Social ClubHe also owned much property on Staten Island, and until recently, LaForte could often be seen in New Dorp, on the main drag on New Dorp Lane and on New Dorp Plaza, where he still owns some stores, according to several Staten Islanders who asked that their names not be used.

"He was pretty healthy for an old guy," said one, adding that a driver would regularly pick him at his home and "take him almost every day to where he owned stores on New Dorp Plaza."

But last week was not a good one for LaForte, or his family. A day after the Grim Reaper came for Joe The Cat, he returned to collect Laforte's 72-year-old son Edward. The younger Laforte died in Columbia Presbyterian Hospital after a long illness, and was cremated Tuesday, according to Scarpaci Funeral Home in Staten Island.

LaForte's role as a real estate entrepreneur sometimes put Joe the Cat into jams, even ones he had nothing to do with. In 1987, cops responded to a report of a burglary at Paul's Sweet Shoppe, a store run by two of Joe's other sons, James and Joe Jr., that was located in a building their dad owned at 44 New Dorp Plaza. When police entered at 4:30 AM, they found a self-employed carpenter tied up and shot to death in a body bag in the basement.

James LaForteAccording to court records, the victim met his fate after Gotti crew members apprehended him outside the Bergin Hunt and Fish Club when they mistakenly thought he had pegged a shot at Gotti. The prevailing wisdom today is that a truck backfire sounded like a shot to the wary Gotti crew, which was fearing additional retaliation for Castellano's murder.

The hapless carpenter was thrown into the trunk of a car, and taken to Staten Island where Gambino mob associate Joseph Watts was given the task of interrogating him. On Gotti's orders, according to testimony, the carpenter was tortured and killed in the basement of Paul's Sweet Shoppe. Watts was acquitted at trial.

Not that Joe The Cat didn't have his own run-ins with the law. He had state court convictions for policy, gambling, and obstruction of justice for which he served virtually no time in prison. He did serve two short federal prison stretches for tax evasion and perjury. In more than 50 years as a wiseguy, though, going back to the era of family patriarch Carlo Gambino, LaForte managed to evade all the major racketeering probes by the FBI, which tabbed him as a "made man" in 1963.

"He was a tight, cheap old bastard who everybody hated," said one law enforcement source. "But they all loved the money he brought in, so he rarely had a problem with his bosses, and never had one he couldn't solve."

Aniello DellacroceIt didn't hurt that LaForte was a close pal of Gambino's longtime underboss, Aniello (Neil) Dellacroce, the leader of the blue collar wing of the crime family, and Gotti's mentor. LaForte was also Dellacroce's landlord. He owned the Mulberry Street building where Neil lived, before he too opted for the wide open spaces of Staten Island after the Verrazano Bridge opened in 1964. (LaForte got his nickname as a young thief growing up in Little Italy because he could jump from rooftop to rooftop, "like a cat" to get away from the cops.)

"When Neil died (in December, 1985), Gotti was irate that (Paul) Castellano put him with Tommy Bilotti," said one law enforcement source. "He was bringing a lot of money to Neil and John figured that belonged to him once Neil died. That was one of the reasons they killed Paul," the source added.

In a tape-recording played at Gotti's 1992 trial, the Dapper Don was heard complaining that while Castellano was alive, he had stated that "Joe The Cat, he's gotta give me two million," and that Paul was "breaking up" Gotti's crew and putting LaForte and others under Bilotti.

John GottiThe Dapper Don loved the money that Joe The Cat sent up to his new boss, but during one FBI tape recorded discussion that was never played in court, Gotti excoriated LaForte "maybe a dozen times" repeating the same seven words, each time, accentuating a different syllable or word, said a former federal official.

"Joe The Cat? He's a heartless mother-fucker," Gotti said over and over again, said the source. "One time he'd drag out the word heartless, then he'd drag out mother, then he'd drag out fucker. I remember thinking at the time, LaForte's lucky we took John off the streets, but in hindsight, he was probably just playing to his audience and blowing off steam."

A few years earlier, in March of 1986, Gotti blew his stack at LaForte when he apologized for not attending a victory celebration in Queens that Gotti's crew threw when he beat assault charges against a forgetful refrigerator mechanic in a case that the New York Post announced with a screaming "I FORGOTTI" headline. Joe The Cat had claimed that pressing business had kept him away.

Joe The Cat LaForteThe conversation was picked up by a state Organized Crime Task Force bug in the Bergin Hunt And Fish Club in Queens, as Gene Mustain and I wrote in Mob Star: The Story of John Gotti.

"You know I'm not selfish John," said LaForte. "You know I'm not selfish. You know it."

Gotti replied in his usual hyperbolic way. "Hey Joe, you're trying to tell me then that everybody else, Angelo, Frankie, his uncle Joey, Joe Gallo, all of eighty-sixth street (in Bensonhurst,) all our people there, Jersey people, all these guys are not as important as you. They run cities, they run towns, countries! You pick up the fuckin' Post to find out how your fuckin' friend made out in court."

Joe The Cat survived that tirade, and the Dapper Don's "heartless mother-fucker" rant too. His last scrape with the law ended on December 19, 1990, when he was released from federal custody, following a short stretch behind bars for his perjury conviction earlier that year.

Paul Castellano HitEight days before that, the Dapper Don took his last breath as a free man, when FBI agents arrested him on racketeering and murder charges that would keep him behind bars for the rest of his life.

Their paths never crossed again, but Gotti's 1992 conviction did give Joe The Cat some final, but relatively minor — for him — aggravation a few years later.

That began in January of 1993, when the feds moved to seize the building at 247 Mulberry Street because it was the hub of racketeering activity during Gotti's reign as the Gambino family boss. At first, LaForte said he would contest the seizure, but he never did. And on October 15, 1997, deputy U.S. Marshals evicted the occupants of the Ravenite Social Club and informed the other residents of the five story building that they should begin paying their rent to Uncle Sam.

A year later, the building was sold for a cool $1.03 million, but Joe The Cat never looked back.

An old friend of the LaForte family told Gang Land that earlier this month, Joe the Cat was hospitalized after breaking a leg. "Joe came home from the hospital, and he died in his sleep a few days later," the friend said.

Frank DeCicco Murder SiteHe was waked at Seneca Chapels in Ridgewood, Queens last Wednesday and Thursday and buried Friday at Moravian Cemetery in Staten Island. He's in good wiseguy company there: It's the same final resting place for more than a few high-ranked Gambino family members who lived on Staten Island. But only one of them, capo James (Jimmy Brown) Failla, died of natural causes like Joe The Cat.

The others are reminders of the 1980s, a much more violent era for the Gambino crime family. Castellano and his key aide Bilotti, were shot to death on the East Side of Manhattan; Frank DeCicco, Gotti's first underboss, was blown up on 86th Street in Brooklyn.

LaForte is survived by his son James, his daughters Linda and Josephine, and more than 20 grand children, and 25 great-grandchildren.

Editor's Note: Newsman Will Jones focused on Genovese capo Patsy Parrello in a discussion last week with Gang Land about the indictment of 46 mob connected defendants with five crime families on Channel 13, the PBS station in New York, while reporter Dave Schratwieser of Fox 29 in Philadelphia chatted up the arrest of Philadelphia mob boss Joey Merlino in his chat with Gang Land about the same case.

Tough Love: Dad Wanted To Smash His Mobster Son In The Face With A Baseball Bat

Joseph LaForte Jr.Joe The Cat LaForte loved his late son, Joseph Jr., a wiseguy known as Buddy The Cat, whom he set up in business at Paul's Sweet Shoppe. But in the spring of 1985, LaForte was so angry at his mobster son that he told his old pal, Gambino underboss Aniello (Neil) Dellacroce that he wanted to smash him in the face with a baseball bat.

The Cat's ire stemmed from a bid by son Buddy to leapfrog over his old man and become a capo, a job that would make him his dad's mob supervisor. Buddy was so eager to land the post, he tried to buy the job for $20,000 from capo Michael (Mike The Baker) Caiazzo who was stepping down. (Apparently everything was for sale in the Gambino family).

As then-capo John Gotti and mobster pal Angelo Ruggiero listened during a get-together in the living room of the ailing Dellacroce's Staten Island home, the elder LaForte explained his anger to his longtime mob pal this way, according to a transcript of a conversation that was secretly recorded by the FBI.

"The bat was right there," said Joe The Cat. "I don't know how I didn't grab the bat. But it was in the back of my mind that he's Amica Nostra, or I would have took all his teeth out of his mouth," said LaForte, evoking mob rules that prohibit striking a fellow made man.

Joseph Laforte, Gene Gotti, et alThis sounded a bit too violent a reaction even to Dellacroce, who had banished Caiazza for his actions in accepting Buddy's offer. But he was also a father, and he questioned LaForte's reluctance to use a baseball bat on his son solely because it was against mob protocol.

"What else could you be fucking thinking?" Dellacroce asked and answered very quickly: "If you hit him with a fucking bat he'd get hurt. He's your son."

LaForte had a quick and ready response, one that the Dapper Don may have recalled years later when he called Joe The Cat a "heartless mother-fucker" a dozen times in another tape recorded talk.

"Boy if I hit him with that bat, he's hurt, 'cause I'd knock all his front teeth out" said LaForte. "I mean, I'd smash his nose. I'd really hit. Because I was mad that day. My son Jimmy stole some money off of me. I knocked all his teeth out. I broke his nose. Smashed his whole face with a bat. This guy, he does ten times worse — I wasn't willing to stop with him at all."

Last edited by gangstereport; 09/03/16 03:41 PM.

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: gangstereport] #892720
09/03/16 03:53 PM
09/03/16 03:53 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Quote:
But last week was not a good one for LaForte, or his family. A day after the Grim Reaper came for Joe The Cat, he returned to collect Laforte's 72-year-old son Edward. The younger Laforte died in Columbia Presbyterian Hospital after a long illness, and was cremated Tuesday, according to Scarpaci Funeral Home in Staten Island.

Attached Files 12748270_1693411977568977_1413681983_n.jpg

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: gangstereport] #892734
09/03/16 05:57 PM
09/03/16 05:57 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
A guy like that saw it all, made under Carlo, lived through Gotti and made a small fortune (sounds like a large one actually) without the press or FBI hardly ever uttering his name. RIP

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: azguy] #892737
09/03/16 06:12 PM
09/03/16 06:12 PM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: azguy
A guy like that saw it all, made under Carlo, lived through Gotti and made a small fortune (sounds like a large one actually) without the press or FBI hardly ever uttering his name. RIP

He was extremely wealthy. He bought property in Manhattan back when it was affordable and kept it until his dying day. He had owned real estate in Staten Island and Brooklyn also. However, from my understanding is that he was a bit of a slum lord and not the most popular guy lol.

Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: gangstereport] #892776
09/04/16 12:08 AM
09/04/16 12:08 AM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
Thanks gangstereport. Always interesting to hear about the more low key and lesser known mobsters who died of natural causes.

Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: gangstereport] #892790
09/04/16 08:04 AM
09/04/16 08:04 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Its the example of how a made man must live: low key,made more money for the boss, launder and well invest the money and stay away from the fbi radar.

Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: gangstereport] #892797
09/04/16 10:50 AM
09/04/16 10:50 AM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
That's the way to died low key in your own bed.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: gangstereport] #892799
09/04/16 11:31 AM
09/04/16 11:31 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Yaeh cool article. I wonder if he collected rent from any of the people living above the ravenite. Think it had 5 apartments. That building today probaly worth 15mill. There was article yesterday in nydaily about avg 1bedroom rents in Manhattan being 2500-4000 grand amonth crazy. Walk ups being more. You think gotti paid rent for the club. Or the old lady who was a widow of a soldier paid rent. So the son tried to pull won over on his father and buy the position. Someone was asking about wire taps and what big neil was saying this kinda explained one. Hes grandkids get rounded up a few times in indictments and probaly soldiers. Lot of morgage fraud. Think lne was indicted in 2011 with 100s other guys. And last you think the guy was active in the family since his last arrest in 1990 i would guess yes. Shows up at partys and funerals probaly card games. Suprised he never got bumped to capo during the 90tys he was still early 70tys. Did his kid ever become a capo?

Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: F_white] #892814
09/04/16 02:17 PM
09/04/16 02:17 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: F_white
That's the way to died low key in your own bed.

That's pretty rare in this day and age.

Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: pmac] #892834
09/04/16 05:41 PM
09/04/16 05:41 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Originally Posted By: pmac
Yaeh cool article. I wonder if he collected rent from any of the people living above the ravenite. Think it had 5 apartments. That building today probaly worth 15mill. There was article yesterday in nydaily about avg 1bedroom rents in Manhattan being 2500-4000 grand amonth crazy. Walk ups being more. You think gotti paid rent for the club. Or the old lady who was a widow of a soldier paid rent. So the son tried to pull won over on his father and buy the position. Someone was asking about wire taps and what big neil was saying this kinda explained one. Hes grandkids get rounded up a few times in indictments and probaly soldiers. Lot of morgage fraud. Think lne was indicted in 2011 with 100s other guys. And last you think the guy was active in the family since his last arrest in 1990 i would guess yes. Shows up at partys and funerals probaly card games. Suprised he never got bumped to capo during the 90tys he was still early 70tys. Did his kid ever become a capo?

His son Joseph "Buddy the Cat" LaForte Jr. died in 2001 was only a made man; the other son Edward Im not sure was made or had mob ties.

Re: gangland news: Longtime gambino soldier dies [Re: gangstereport] #893114
09/07/16 10:24 AM
09/07/16 10:24 AM
BennyB Offline
Made Member
BennyB  Offline
Made Member
Quote:
"He was a tight, cheap old bastard who everybody hated,"

lol

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull