GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,682
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61451
04/23/03 05:35 PM
04/23/03 05:35 PM
New Zealand
Anton The Penguin Offline OP
Underboss
Anton The Penguin  Offline OP
Underboss
New Zealand
Why is Greenland an island? Seriously, it's huge, and yet they call it an 'island'...and then New Guinea, Madagscar, Honshu, Luzon, Sumatra, Borneo, Baffin Island, Victoria Island, Cuba, UK, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sicily, New Zealand, Hokkaido, Celebes, Ellesmere Island, Tasmania, Java, Hispaniola, Crete, Cyprus, Newfoundland, Corsica, Iceland, Jamaica...

..why are these islands? For those who have been on any of them, they are not small...compared to continents, yes, but islands are typically your average small little single-palmed island in the sea, yet for those on them, they stretch out for ages, and you cannot safely call them sea-surrounded 'islands'. I live on a huge 'island', New Zealands North Island, and it is huge for me, I've travelled right across and there's HEAPS of land...so what is it like on a CONTINENT, maybe Asia, or North America, where land stretches for ages, like there is no sea...how does such a thing work?

My point is, I have been ruminating and have thought about it, and these are NOT your typical islands! They are huge for a human being! So why do they call them islands? Does "island" have a new meaning all of a sudden? An island can be like Haulashore Island, which is a tiny little bit of land off the coast of Nelson (NZ), or an island could be Kapiti Island, a bigger, but still small, piece of land off the coast of Paekakariki (NZ), but how could you call Madagascar an "island"?

Your thoughts on islands...and who lives on one? I know a few here are from the Phillipines, and some are from Sicily, some from the UK, some from Ireland, some probably from Japan.

So please...ISLANDS?

-Penguin

Only after the last tree has been cut down
Only after the last river has been poisioned
Only after the last fish has been caught

Then you will find that money cannot be eaten.
Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61452
04/23/03 05:57 PM
04/23/03 05:57 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Anton The Penguin:
Why is Greenland an island? Seriously, it's huge, and yet they call it an 'island'...and then New Guinea, Madagscar, Honshu, Luzon, Sumatra, Borneo, Baffin Island, Victoria Island, Cuba, UK, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sicily, New Zealand, Hokkaido, Celebes, Ellesmere Island, Tasmania, Java, Hispaniola, Crete, Cyprus, Newfoundland, Corsica, Iceland, Jamaica...why are these islands?
An island is a mass of land surrounded by water on all sides; not connected to another body of land. That is why Manhattan is an island, and Hawaii, which is a series of tiny islands, as well as Ireland and Great Britain (the British Isles) and all the other gigantic ones that stretch for miles, preventing it's inhabitants to see the water.

As the saying goes - size doesn't matter.

Apple
I am a Rock; I am an Island

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61453
04/23/03 09:07 PM
04/23/03 09:07 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
An island is a mass of land surrounded by water on all sides; not connected to another body of land. That is why Manhattan is an island, and Hawaii, which is a series of tiny islands, as well as Ireland and Great Britain (the British Isles) and all the other gigantic ones that stretch for miles, preventing it's inhabitants to see the water.
Yes and No. There is a whole scientific school of thought that differs from this. A continent, even surrounded by water, is considered a continent if it has its own flora/fauna, has geological/tectonic independence and has it owns culture SEPARATE from the closest continent to it. Greenland is too much like North America hence it is an island, Australia is separate from any other continent based on the above criteria so is it is considered a continent. Those Brits are too much like the rest of Europe.

As always, there are exceptions to this rule.

As the saying goes - size doesn't matter.
hehe, funny but again YES and NO. A small penis may be able to compensate for its lack of depth with other knowledge. But in many cases a small penis is just that, deficient. Oh wait--you are talking about ISLANDS.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61454
04/23/03 09:50 PM
04/23/03 09:50 PM
New Zealand
Underboss
Underboss
New Zealand
When it comes to Australia, it is not officially a continent. It has to be joined with Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands and then it becomes Oceania (Australasia is Aussie, NZ, and PNG). I'm not sure how it all works, but trust me; New Zealand has different flora, fauna, AND animals (we have a flightless ground-burrowing parrot grin ) from the rest of the world. We're not a continent because we are not big enough. The official continents are:

North America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa
Oceania
Antarctica

-Penguin

Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61455
04/23/03 10:31 PM
04/23/03 10:31 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Originally posted by Anton The Penguin:
When it comes to Australia, it is not officially a continent. It has to be joined with Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands and then it becomes [b]Oceania (Australasia is Aussie, NZ, and PNG). I'm not sure how it all works, but trust me; New Zealand has different flora, fauna, AND animals (we have a flightless ground-burrowing parrot grin ) from the rest of the world. We're not a continent because we are not big enough. The official continents are: [/b]
It is ONLY "official" depending on WHO you ask my young Anton. Usually Australia is considered both since it is too small for one, too large for the other.

Ask a geologist or a geographer, and I know many here, or ask the inhabitants of the land in question and they will say differently. Nice thing about the physical/social/biological sciences there IS no definitive answer. That is why I give those frustrating "Yes and No" answers all the time.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"
Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61456
04/25/03 08:12 AM
04/25/03 08:12 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Apple; I am a Rock; I am an Island
Hmmmm. Paul Simon might protest for not getting credit.

BTW didn't some other famous writer say, No Man is an Island.

So you see Anton an island is all in the figment of the beholder. Don't forget language is only a means of communicating. The depth and nuances of meaning are only relevant to psuedo-intellectuals.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61457
04/25/03 09:59 AM
04/25/03 09:59 AM
Brooklyn
ShortCake Offline
Underboss
ShortCake  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn
Oceania is NOT a continent, Anton. I don't know what book you've been reading, but there are only 7 continents and they are:

North America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa
Australia
Anarctica

"You got to lose to know... how to win."
Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61458
04/25/03 02:35 PM
04/25/03 02:35 PM
D
Don Giorgio Gambino Offline
Underboss
Don Giorgio Gambino  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally posted by ShortCake:
Oceania is [b]NOT a continent, Anton. I don't know what book you've been reading, but there are only 7 continents and they are:

North America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa
Australia
Anarctica [/b]
Actually, Oceania is a continent and Australia is a country in the continent of Oceania.
There is some controversy about Antartica: should we consider it a continent, even if there's few or no life on it?

I always tought that North and South America were a sole continent. Then, what happened to Central America?

Giorgio Luigi Gambino

Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61459
04/25/03 02:51 PM
04/25/03 02:51 PM
UK
Frankie 5-angels Offline
Underboss
Frankie 5-angels  Offline
Underboss
UK
As a famous philosopher once said....."No man is an island...unless his name is Madagascar!" rolleyes

(Actually it was in a beer advert shown in the UK)

P.S. Sorry to lower the intellectual tone of this thread! lol

Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61460
04/25/03 02:55 PM
04/25/03 02:55 PM
Born on the Bayou
Saladbar Offline
Underboss
Saladbar  Offline
Underboss
Born on the Bayou
Originally posted by Frankie 5-angels:
As a famous philosopher once said....."No man is an island...unless his name is Madagascar!" rolleyes

(Actually it was in a beer advert shown in the UK)

P.S. Sorry to lower the intellectual tone of this thread! lol
Not at all, because according to the criteria I listed first Madagascar would be considered a continent. I wanted to list it as an exception but felt I was getting too long winded.

Isn't that where all the cute lemurs are?

Re: Anton the Penguin's ruminations 4/24: Islands #61461
04/25/03 05:50 PM
04/25/03 05:50 PM
New Zealand
Underboss
Underboss
New Zealand
Originally posted by Don Giorgio Gambino:

I always tought that North and South America were a sole continent. Then, what happened to Central America?
They are joined, yes, but like Africa to Asia, they spawn off into their own huge land masses. So they are seperate continents.

Central America is part of North America.

ShortCake, I have, at least, been reading. tongue

Frankie, that was a great quote.

-Penguin

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull