GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, 1 invisible), 593 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,539
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58530
03/24/03 03:09 PM
03/24/03 03:09 PM
D
Don Giorgio Gambino Offline
Underboss
Don Giorgio Gambino  Offline
D
Underboss
My favotite part was when Mike and Kirk Douglas went to announce the Best Picture of the year:

KIRK: It feels good to be 75 again lol

MIKE: You're supposed to say: "And the Oscar goes to--!"
KIRK: And the winner is--
(Looks at the winner's name and torns paper in two. Gives a piece to Michael and another to himself) Chicago!

I was surprised when Adrien Brody won!

BRODY- There are moments on life in which all have sense. This is not one of those moments.

That kiss with Halley will be talked of very much.

I was dissapointed because my paisana Salma did not won. El Crimen de El Padre Amaro lost to "Hable con ella". Why Almodovar always has to win theses awards?

Giorgio Luigi Gambino

P.S. Anybody knows why Dustin Hoffman was in the verge of tears before presebnting "The Pianist?"

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58531
03/24/03 03:22 PM
03/24/03 03:22 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Giorgio Gambino:
...Anybody knows why Dustin Hoffman was in the verge of tears before presebnting "The Pianist?"
I noticed that, too. I think Dustin was moved by Brody's acceptance speech which immediately preceded his appearance.

Apple

PS - Anyone else notice Barbra Streisand's little dig about how 'artists' should be able to speak their minds, too? I guess she resented having to stick w/ the script.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58532
03/24/03 05:00 PM
03/24/03 05:00 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
She has always been known to be a witch, with a B and also having a mind of her own. Move over Honey your day has passed>>>>>>

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58533
03/24/03 05:52 PM
03/24/03 05:52 PM
Long Island, NY
deathkiss Offline
Underboss
deathkiss  Offline
Underboss
Long Island, NY
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[QB]It's a shame that Pacino & DeNiro & Pesci were not there to be included with that cavalcade of 'past' Oscar winners.

But - the less the better, I suppose. If EVERY living Best Actor/Actress Supporting Actor/Actress had been on hand (and there are PLENTY more than we saw), that little feature would have gone on all night!!!

But they did! They were only adknowleging best actor. Pesci is only a best supporting actor winner. Deniro for Raging Bull was the first on the cavelcade. Pacino was in their with his WHOAH!

Send the car for me too, mama
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58534
03/24/03 06:01 PM
03/24/03 06:01 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Originally posted by CamillusDon:
She has always been known to be a witch, with a B and also having a mind of her own. Move ouver Honey your day has passed>>>>>>
Oh, she's the biggest democrat out there. She probably would have said something more but knew not to cause of Moore's speech.

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58535
03/24/03 06:05 PM
03/24/03 06:05 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by deathkiss:
[QUOTE]...They were only adknowleging best actor. Pesci is only a best supporting actor winner....
I'm not talking about the string of film clips. They did that for Best Actress too.
I mean when past winners for ALL acting categories were sitting on stage and their names/roles were announced in alphabetical order.

Neither Pesci, Pacino nor DeNiro (among others) was there in person.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58536
03/24/03 06:14 PM
03/24/03 06:14 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Maybe thats why he wheres them. tongue
I know this is completely off-topic and I know you (DV) do not pay attention to spelling, but oh my freaking goodness... eek

It should be wears, I can understand wares (maybe), maybe waers, but "wheres"... Man. Wow.

Anyway, back to the topic. Barbra Streisand announcing Eminem as the winner must be one of the funniest moments in Oscar history. Imagine if he was there actually accepting it from her!

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58537
03/24/03 06:16 PM
03/24/03 06:16 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Since films are my reason for living, I was very excited about the Oscars. It has been said before that the Oscars are the filmbuff's Superbowl.
Anyway I enjoyed the Oscars. I thought Steve Martin did a nice job hosting, I liked many of the tributes, and there were lots of surprises.

Best Documentary: "Bowling For Columbine"- A lot has been said about Michael Moore's acceptance speech. I have not much to add accept that I respect that he has freedom of speech, but that was neither the time nor place to start ranting about the war.

Best Cinematography: "Road To Perdition"- I share the exact same feelings that SC shared above: This film deserved this award. And even though Conrad L. Hall died a few monthes back, I'm glad to see another Oscar for him (his son accepted it). Hall has been the cinematographer for many famous films like In Cold Blood, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Cool Hand Luke.

Best Song: "Lose Yourself" by Eminem in "8 Mile"- I didn't really like many of the songs up this year. I was still surprised though.

Best Supporting Actress: Catherine Zeta-Jones for "Chicago"- I did not see this coming at all. I thought that either Streep or Bates had it. Guess not.

Best Supporting Actor: Chris Cooper for "Adaptation"- I saw this coming from the start.

Best Actress: Nicole Kidman for "The Hours"- I thought it would either be her or Zellweger. I coldn't make up my mind.

Best Actor: Adrien Brody for "The Pianist"- THIS WAS A BIG SHOCKER eek . I did not see this coming at all! In fact, on an earliar thread I said he was the least likely to win. He must have given a hell of a performance. Now I really want to see this movie. He gave a great acceptance speech imho.

Best Director: Roman Polanski for "The Pianist"- Another big shocker. I was positive...POSITIVE that Scorsese had it. Wow, I still can't believe this. But Scorsese is a good man, who doesn't need an Oscar. Polanski (who didn't show) recieved a standing ovation, and do you know who the first person to stand up was? Martin Scorsese.

Best Picture: "Chicago"- I knew this would win. That whole 'revival of the movie musical' crap. Although I did have second thoughts when Polanski won Best Director.

How am I not myself?
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58538
03/24/03 07:46 PM
03/24/03 07:46 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline
Anthony Lombardi  Offline

east coast
Scorsese robbed -- AGAIN. I couldn't believe it. You could see the look on his face when he lost, he was trying to hold it in. You could tell he was very upset.

And I also think U2 was robbed.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58539
03/24/03 09:05 PM
03/24/03 09:05 PM
DC
pacino princess Offline
Underboss
pacino princess  Offline
Underboss
DC
{Posted by Omar Suarez)

Best Picture: "Chicago"- I knew this would win. That whole 'revival of the movie musical' crap. Although I did have second thoughts when Polanski won Best Director.

Chicago was not DEFINITELY not crap. please see the movie first then make your judgements. Thanks.

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58540
03/24/03 09:14 PM
03/24/03 09:14 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline

east coast
I couldn't agree with you more, PP. Though I haven't SEEN Chicago yet(YET), I plan to... And it looks really good. My brother saw it, and said it was great.

Don't judge something unless you see it.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58541
03/24/03 09:24 PM
03/24/03 09:24 PM
DC
pacino princess Offline
Underboss
pacino princess  Offline
Underboss
DC
Originally posted by Anthony Lombardi:
I couldn't agree with you more, PP. Though I haven't SEEN Chicago yet(YET), I plan to... And it looks really good. My brother saw it, and said it was great.

Don't judge something unless you see it.
Hey Tony-Lemme tell you. that movie was one of those movies that keeps you EN-TER-TAINED, man. It's a "feel-good film" if you know what i mean. And most good musicals are. Its rare to find a really great musical, its either horribly bad, or very good. And Chicago, it was goood. A treat for guys and girls, it was fun to watch, everyone should go see it.

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58542
03/24/03 09:47 PM
03/24/03 09:47 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Originally posted by pacino princess:
{Posted by Omar Suarez)

That whole 'revival of the movie musical' crap.

Chicago was not DEFINITELY not crap. please see the movie first then make your judgements. Thanks.
Pacino Princess, I didn't say the movie was crap, I didn't mean to imply that anything was 'crap'. I ment it as 'stuff' or 'Jazz'. How about Jazz? That would be more appropriate, wouldn't it? I 'll refrase it for you:
"That whole 'revival of the movie music' JAZZ." That's what I ment when I said that. rolleyes

And Anthony, what are you talking about? I said the same thing about Chicago to you on AIM, and as I recall, you agreed with me then.

How am I not myself?
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58543
03/24/03 10:16 PM
03/24/03 10:16 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Some anonymous motel room.
sorry DS, damn, i neva do dat baad in da spellin' o' "wear". I uuss wear all da tim and i neva get iT wong....ya know wat im sayin' dawg? tongue lol

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58544
03/24/03 10:22 PM
03/24/03 10:22 PM
Folsom Prison
DonFerro55 Offline
Underboss
DonFerro55  Offline
Underboss
Folsom Prison
I was very dissapointed with the Oscars. Martin, Gangs, Daniel Day Lewis, even Road to Perdition. Im sorry but I hated their decisions.

Oh yeah, and what about Moore. What a jackass. This is a film awards show, not a polital debate. These people know that this was not a place to voice their polital opinions. Why stray so far off-topic.

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58545
03/24/03 10:38 PM
03/24/03 10:38 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline

east coast
Omar, you're cool in my book, but, man... You get really annoyed if someone as much as just DISAGREES with you. Calm down, bro. It's a message board, people will be bound to disagree and opinions will be exchanged and sometimes debates with occur.

I never agreed that the movie looked like "crap." You said something about the revival of the musical stuff... And I'm not crazy about musicals, so I agreed with that statement. Never agreed about any negativity towards Chicago.

And, PP... I know, it looks so entertaining. My brother said he couldn't take his eyes off the screen! Looks really good.

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58546
03/24/03 10:45 PM
03/24/03 10:45 PM
ATL
Omar Suarez Offline
Underboss
Omar Suarez  Offline
Underboss
ATL
Omar, you're cool in my book, but, man... You get really annoyed if someone as much as just DISAGREES with you. Calm down, bro. It's a message board, people will be bound to disagree and opinions will be exchanged and sometimes debates with occur.

I never agreed that the movie looked like "crap." You said something about the revival of the musical stuff... And I'm not crazy about musicals, so I agreed with that statement. Never agreed about any negativity towards Chicago.

Your right Anthony, I do get annoyed easily when someone disagrees with me. And I shouldn't. It's not a good way to look at things when your full of pointless anger. I'll try to calm down. smile

You never agreed that the movie looked like crap, and I never intentionally implied that the movie looked like crap. That is not what I was trying to say. But I more than understand the misunderstanding that I myself caused by the choice of words that I used. I shouldn't have used 'crap'. 'Jazz' would have been a better word to use.

How am I not myself?
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58547
03/24/03 10:52 PM
03/24/03 10:52 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline

east coast
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm not really a big musical fan(and as big as I am a music fan, that's a pretty big surprise) but Chicago really does look good.

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58548
03/24/03 11:05 PM
03/24/03 11:05 PM
Iowantonia
joltinjoe05 Offline
Underboss
joltinjoe05  Offline
Underboss
Iowantonia
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm not really a big musical fan(and as big as I am a music fan, that's a pretty big surprise) but Chicago really does look good.
Have you ever seen "Singing in the Rain" ?
I used to think that musicals were just wussy stuff. Then I watches SITR. eek
That movie is GREAT. I love it, and I'm not afraid to admit it! grin

It's all over now, baby blue

Where have you gone Joe 05, our board turns it's lonely eyes to you...
What's that you say Mrs. Stallionete, JoltinJoe has left and gone away...
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58549
03/24/03 11:14 PM
03/24/03 11:14 PM
east coast
Anthony Lombardi Offline

east coast
No, I haven't seen it. But, I don't think musicals are BAD, but, as I said... They just aren't my cup of tea. The only one I REALLY enjoy is Grease... And I still wanna see Chicago.

Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58550
03/24/03 11:36 PM
03/24/03 11:36 PM
Upstate, New York
CamillusDon Offline
CamillusDon  Offline

Upstate, New York
West Side Story...How about that!

"Well, old friend, are you ready to do me this service?"

"I believe in America. America has made my fortune."
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58551
03/25/03 12:33 AM
03/25/03 12:33 AM
Milwaukee, WI
badguytony Offline
Underboss
badguytony  Offline
Underboss
Milwaukee, WI
I wasn't crazy about the U2 song in the first place but I was surprised about Adrien Brody winning best actor. The awards are always too long. I hope Scorsese gets an Oscar sometime, whether it be a lifetime award.

"You should see the other guy."
-Tony Montana

"It might just be for a split-second, but it's still flying."
-Michael Jordan
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58552
03/25/03 10:33 PM
03/25/03 10:33 PM
Don Sauno Offline
Capo
Don Sauno  Offline
Capo
Well, this was quite a show. Well, there was Michael Moore who made a complete fool of himself and then Eminem winning which was kind of upsetting and Adrien Brody, which was great to watch. That kiss with Halle Berry and that touching speech. I've never really seen him talk that much as he is a lone a lot in The Pianist and he barely talks at all in The Thin Red Line which are, I believe, the only movies I have seen of his. I was also quite pleased and touched with Conrad L. Hall's posthamous awards because Road to Perdition's cintematography was and fantastic, and he was such a great artist. From what I've seen, he and Sam Mended had a great relationship, it's a shame they won't get to collaborate again. The biggest shock for me was probably Roman Polanski winning for The Pianist. I thought "holly crap!" If I were Harrison Ford I probably would have fallen off the stage. I'm not really angry, just shocked. Well, Steve Martin was great, I was a litte dissapointed because I read that Steven Spielberg was going to come and present and after the directort award, I thought that he was gonna get to give out the big one. However, I thought that Kirk and Michael Douglas presenting was really touching, that was great.

Well, certainly an entertaing show. Last year, when the show was over I was depressed and pretty angry. This time was much better for me. Partly because I pretty much gave up this kind of awards idea, but also because it was fun.

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster"
Re: 2003 Academy Award Winners #58553
03/25/03 10:39 PM
03/25/03 10:39 PM
Lima, Peru
Michael/Corleone Offline
Underboss
Michael/Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Lima, Peru
I think {The} Hours deserved the Oscar more tan Chicago because I liked it more as a movie and it has better everything, argument, screenplay, performances, etc, but I dont complain in Chicago winning it. It was terrific as well.

JABS

America is a continent, NOT a country.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull