GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (GaryH, Malavita), 386 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,105
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why would Connie... #883924
05/24/16 09:30 AM
05/24/16 09:30 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline OP
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline OP
Underboss
New Market, MD
Suspect and blame Michael for the death of Carlo, but not suspect and blame Carlo for the death of Sonny?

I think Sonny's death directly after Connie's beating at the hands of Carlo is more obvious than Michael killing Carlo (well, they're both pretty obvious -- Connie probably heard about the deaths of the other heads of the five families and Carlo's disappearance would be very suspicious) but Connie never does suspect or blame Carlo for Sonny's death, correct? Does this happen at all in the book? Been a long time since I read it.

If she did, she wouldn't be so angry at Michael at the end of Part I.

Re: Why would Connie... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #883933
05/24/16 10:59 AM
05/24/16 10:59 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
This is an interesting question. Others can correct me, but I don't recall anything that directly tells us what's going on in Connie's mind about these matters.

Now, Connie's outburst to Michael is:

Quote:
Michael! You lousy bastard -- you killed my husband! You waited until Papa died so nobody could stop you, and then you killed him. You blamed him for Sonny -- you always did. Everybody did. But you never thought about me -- you never gave a damn about me. Now what am I going to do?

The book has very similar language. Note two things: (1) that she doesn't say that she doesn't blame Carlo for Sonny's death; and, (2) the bolded language - what specifically is she talking about there?

My suggestion is that Connie is hysterical because she doesn't know what she's going to do for sex. In the novel, it seems that she's a virgin when she marries, but she proves to be a very sexual character, at one point literally begging Carlo for sex. Her situation is finally resolved by "filling her bed" less than a year after Carlo is killed.

So I would argue that Connie might actually have thought that Carlo was involved in Sonny's murder, but that having grown up among gangsters that was somewhat normalized, so that she could still be happy in bed with him, and that loss is what she's mourning when she confronts Michael.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Why would Connie... [Re: mustachepete] #883946
05/24/16 02:15 PM
05/24/16 02:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Interesting question--and interesting response.

My guess is that Connie was reacting to sudden, violent widowhood--no more husband, no more father to her children. She may have questioned Carlo about the proximity of his beating her, and Sonny's assassination. But, Carlo wouldn't have admitted it to her. And, she'd want to believe her husband. The alternative was to believe not only that her husband was a killer, but was directly involved in a plot to kill her brother--and that her call to Sonny after the beating triggered it.

As an aside: Connie asked Michael to stand godfather to her son. Carlo was whacked on the same day. Connie asked Michael to forgive Fredo. Fredo was whacked after Michael "forgave" him. Not hard to imagine a cause-and-effect train of thought in Connie's mind. Perhap that's why, in III, she said she believed Fredo drowned.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why would Connie... [Re: Turnbull] #883959
05/24/16 04:14 PM
05/24/16 04:14 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Unless I was missing context, TB, she said Fredo drowned, but it was pretty obvious she knew otherwise, just like she knew Michael had Carlo murdered.

Good responses though...no doubt Connie did have some doubt about Carlo re: Sonny's death, but he was her husband and father to her children. In a Sicilian/Italian household I guess that trumps pretty much everything else, even the beatings?

Re: Why would Connie... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #883978
05/24/16 08:29 PM
05/24/16 08:29 PM
New Market, MD
Underboss
Underboss
New Market, MD
Perhaps what Connie meant was that Mike never asked her opinion on Carlo. Doubtful she'd want him killed or punished but that does seem to be a big part of her outburst, Mike never asking 'what she wanted'. Maybe she felt like she should have been able to pardon Carlo for any involvement in Sonny's death.

Re: Why would Connie... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #884027
05/25/16 02:14 PM
05/25/16 02:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger
Unless I was missing context, TB, she said Fredo drowned, but it was pretty obvious she knew otherwise, just like she knew Michael had Carlo murdered.

I agree. Connie had to know, or at least strongly suspect, that Michael, who had no compunctions about ordering Carlo to be killed because he set up Sonny's assassination, wouldn't hesitate to have Fredo killed because of his betrayal. I think that, by that point, she couldn't let herself be more embittered by thinking the worst--and possibly blaming herself for begging Michael (on her knees!) to forgive Fredo and to bring both of them back into his "good graces."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why would Connie... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #884051
05/25/16 06:55 PM
05/25/16 06:55 PM
North America
Mr. Blonde Offline
Capo
Mr. Blonde  Offline
Capo
North America
I think Turnbull's point about her role in her brother's death is huge. If she believed Carlo was responsible, then she was partly responsible for Sonny's death too. So her mind would have done anything to convince herself that Carlo (and by extension, she) was not responsible.

Her evidence would have been 1) Carlo had just been in an emotional situation with her and would have been in no mental shape to coordinate such a well-orchestrated hit; 2) Carlo did not have the clout to get others to follow him in putting together this type of event; and 3) Carlo lacked a motive. I seriously doubt he told her that Sonny beat him up and shamed him. As far as she knew, they were on decent terms, despite some bickering that she would not have considered unusual. Maybe they were not as tight as they were when Sonny introduced him to her, but they were okay for the most part in her mind. We know this is flawed logic at best, but she would have clung to it desperately.

In contrast, Michael had the clout, had the level-headedness, and had the motive.

And Turnbull is right again in another front. Sonny's death did not change her status. Carlo's death made her a young widow, i.e.; a tragic figure. That affected her mindset significantly.

Re: Why would Connie... [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #884057
05/25/16 08:36 PM
05/25/16 08:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Connie's tirade against Michael was intended to set up the "Is it true?" question from Kay.

Don't forget the following deleted scene where Kay goes to church and lights the candles to save Michael's soul (It's in the novel too). Connie's tirade was all to set up those following scenes.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull