GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 286 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,775
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? #883398
05/14/16 10:13 PM
05/14/16 10:13 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline OP
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline OP
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
I read that a lot of the New York guys live in Statem Island now. Maybe New Yorkers on here can help, in your opinion where can you still feel a mob presence? Bensonhurst? Howard Beach? etc

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #883399
05/14/16 10:44 PM
05/14/16 10:44 PM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline
Underboss
Probably Staten Island. Staten Island and North Jersey. Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, Throgs Neck and Belmont are up there as well.

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #883403
05/14/16 11:20 PM
05/14/16 11:20 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
BX

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #883584
05/17/16 12:00 PM
05/17/16 12:00 PM
BennyB Offline
Made Member
BennyB  Offline
Made Member
Most Italian Americans in the NY area live in the suburbs not the 5 boroughs except for Staten Island (because it is a suburb-like environment). For example, Westchester County, Long Island, New Jersey, etc... There are very small pockets in Brooklyn Queens and the Bronx but Latinos (mostly), Chinese, Indians, etc have moved into the neighborhoods Ralphie mentioned above. And some of the old mafia neighborhoods like Red Hook and Williamsburg are now ultra-trendy with sky-high prices and full of yuppies.

Also, "mobbed up neighborhood" used to mean a place with a lot of mob activity in the neighborhood. Now it just means a place where mobsters happen to live. Most are older, and most of the activity doesn't take place in the street or bars, etc...

I live in Queens and there are latino gangs stabbing kids in the playgrounds so that's most of the activity I see...

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #883595
05/17/16 12:56 PM
05/17/16 12:56 PM
PaulieSenter Offline
Button
PaulieSenter  Offline
Button
Hey just like Ralphie and Benny said i lived in Canarsie Brooklyn now in Staten Island on my way to Florida alot of guys just happen to live here and older like myself.

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #883608
05/17/16 02:51 PM
05/17/16 02:51 PM
B
Beenaround Offline
Capo
Beenaround  Offline
B
Capo
I lived in Gravesend, Canarsie..Bensonhurst,by 1999 these areas were gone. Howard Beach is alive but in a mess and is changing. I would have to say Staten Island, Bellmore L.I.,

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #883622
05/17/16 03:49 PM
05/17/16 03:49 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Wouldn't use the term "mobbed up" but in Chicago the main Italian areas would be Bridgeport, pockets of Grand ave, pockets of the heights, and the northwest side being "the center" of Italian-Americans in Chicago. Towns like Elmwood, Melrose, and Norridge all are around 30% + Italian. Drive down harlem especially around belmont you'll see the flags waving everywhere.

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 05/17/16 03:52 PM.
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #883835
05/21/16 09:53 AM
05/21/16 09:53 AM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
I don't think there's many Italian neighborhoods left to speak of, at all.

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884047
05/25/16 05:37 PM
05/25/16 05:37 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
West coast, here, where mobbed up neighborhoods are something that only exist in the movies.

Last one was probably SF's North Beach, and you'd have to go back to the 1960s. .

Last ones in LA were Boyle Heights and Lincoln Heights, which became Latino neighborhoods not long after Prohibition.

The most mobbed up neighborhood ever out here, or city, actually, was Emeryville, which sits between Berkeley and Oakland, during Elmer "Big Bones" Remmer's reign in the mid 20th century. Remmer was Lucky Luciano's guy and eventually the Genoveses' guy in the bay area. He ran all of the gambling operations in the bay area. He had Emeryville's government in his pocket and ran the town.

Last edited by OakAsFan; 05/25/16 05:38 PM.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884050
05/25/16 06:45 PM
05/25/16 06:45 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
How about in South Jersey, what would you all say is the most mobbed up town down here? I know the Philly fam has always vacationed down the shore in places like Ventnor and Margate, Atlantic City, and that uncle joe would frequent Ocean City, Sea Isle and I think Point Pleasant..Anyone else know of specific wiseguys and places (excluding Memories in margate obv)? How about NY/NJ family guys in South Jersey?

My guess would be Washington Township where I think Staino lived and possibly Georgie Borgesi currently? To me Cherry Hill is South jersey because its not far from where Im at in bucks county, PA..but im sure most people would consider that Central NJ...any insight fellas?

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: mikeyballs211] #884131
05/26/16 03:52 PM
05/26/16 03:52 PM
JERSEY
V
VitoSpatafore Offline
Button
VitoSpatafore  Offline
V
Button
JERSEY
Mostly all the bars in margate... but memories obviously is the spot. Blavat likes those kind of guys in the club

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: mikeyballs211] #884246
05/28/16 02:43 PM
05/28/16 02:43 PM
LV
F
flamingokid123 Offline
Underboss
flamingokid123  Offline
F
Underboss
LV
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
How about in South Jersey, what would you all say is the most mobbed up town down here? I know the Philly fam has always vacationed down the shore in places like Ventnor and Margate, Atlantic City, and that uncle joe would frequent Ocean City, Sea Isle and I think Point Pleasant..Anyone else know of specific wiseguys and places (excluding Memories in margate obv)? How about NY/NJ family guys in South Jersey?

My guess would be Washington Township where I think Staino lived and possibly Georgie Borgesi currently?
Staino lives in swedesboro. Canalichio lived in township, right on ganttown rd. House is empty now. Ralphie Head lived (not sure now) in Whitman square section in township. Gorilla also lived in township back in the day with his mom. I think Whitman square section also.
Anthony Viesti who was very close too Natale has lived in Wash. Twp.also For a long time. He was involved in the drug trade. Natale testified against him after he became a rat.

Last edited by flamingokid123; 05/29/16 11:38 AM.
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884598
06/03/16 08:05 PM
06/03/16 08:05 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Generally speaking, white ethnic inner city neighborhoods were done by the '60s; by the '80s it was remnants and these days -- generally -- it's the remnants of the remnants.

There are notable exceptions, of course. I'm far from an expert on NYC but I imagine it's generally the same.

In Chicago the places Nicky mentions are far less than 10% Italian, though some do retain a lot of Italian character and have some notable Outfit hangouts.

Interestingly enough there are a couple places that have bucked the trend; most notably Canaryvilke, a south side inner-city neighborhood of 5,000 that has somehow defied the odds to remain virtually all Irish for 100 years.

But that's changing too. Bridgeport is almost half Asian now, I think, and Canaryville gets more Mexican every year. Grand and Ogden will be owned by all yuppies within a decade.

Kind of cool to be able to see a little bit of what's left, but if you are into it make sure to take photos, cause it's over.

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884604
06/03/16 10:21 PM
06/03/16 10:21 PM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
Not really a mob neighbirhood but a rarely discussed town in nj with a lot of wise guys is easy hanover / floram park . Again a more DL town than the others people bring up / know

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: jonnynonos] #884608
06/04/16 12:21 AM
06/04/16 12:21 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
Generally speaking, white ethnic inner city neighborhoods were done by the '60s; by the '80s it was remnants and these days -- generally -- it's the remnants of the remnants.

There are notable exceptions, of course. I'm far from an expert on NYC but I imagine it's generally the same.

In Chicago the places Nicky mentions are far less than 10% Italian, though some do retain a lot of Italian character and have some notable Outfit hangouts.

Interestingly enough there are a couple places that have bucked the trend; most notably Canaryvilke, a south side inner-city neighborhood of 5,000 that has somehow defied the odds to remain virtually all Irish for 100 years.

But that's changing too. Bridgeport is almost half Asian now, I think, and Canaryville gets more Mexican every year. Grand and Ogden will be owned by all yuppies within a decade.

Kind of cool to be able to see a little bit of what's left, but if you are into it make sure to take photos, cause it's over.

You're completely wrong. Elmwood Park and Norridge are both around 30% italian. Where do you get this 10% number from?

And note for grand Ave I said pockets, never said it was a full on neighborhood.

I'm not gonna go through the bridgeport soapbox with you again but I'll say that anything between 35th and 26th street and east of Halsted is still very much an Italian area. The other parts of bridgeport not so much. And I'm including armour sq in that too.

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 06/04/16 12:27 AM.
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884629
06/04/16 07:17 AM
06/04/16 07:17 AM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
DB is spot on, East Hanover and Florham Park are both heavily Italian and a ton of wise guys live there. Even Scoops Licata of the Philly LCN North Jersey crew lives there...

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyEyes1] #884635
06/04/16 09:30 AM
06/04/16 09:30 AM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

You're completely wrong. Elmwood Park and Norridge are both around 30% italian. Where do you get this 10% number from?

And note for grand Ave I said pockets, never said it was a full on neighborhood.

I'm not gonna go through the bridgeport soapbox with you again but I'll say that anything between 35th and 26th street and east of Halsted is still very much an Italian area. The other parts of bridgeport not so much. And I'm including armour sq in that too.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with your post. Some of the neighborhoods still have heavily Italian character.

Maybe those suburbs have more than 30%; I don't know.

In terms of the city neighorhoods, including Bridgeport, here is a site based off census data that will hopeuflly put these questions to rest once and for all:

http://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhood/Illinois/Chicago/Bridgeport/Ancestry

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: flamingokid123] #884644
06/04/16 11:40 AM
06/04/16 11:40 AM
T
TonyManero Offline
Wiseguy
TonyManero  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Hammonton, NJ is another town. It's exit 28 off AC Expressway. Definitely, a very unique town. It's been known as the "Most Italian town in U.S.A" (percentage wise). Most of the residents have roots from Gesso,Sicily. They are known as "Hillbilly Sicilians". The town has been the setting for scenes from TV series like "Boardwalk Empire" and "Making the Mob". Mainly, b/c Lucy Luciano and those guys hid out in Hammonton and hijacked bootleggers coming out of Atlantic City. Also, in 1990's, mob informant Ron Previte lived there and had a crew from Hammonton. It's detailed a lot in the book "The Last Gangster".

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: jonnynonos] #884645
06/04/16 11:41 AM
06/04/16 11:41 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

I am not necessarily disagreeing with your post. Some of the neighborhoods still have heavily Italian character.

Maybe those suburbs have more than 30%; I don't know.

In terms of the city neighorhoods, including Bridgeport, here is a site based off census data that will hopeuflly put these questions to rest once and for all:

http://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhood/Illinois/Chicago/Bridgeport/Ancestry

I've been on similar sites that put sections of Bridgeport in the 20%-40% range.

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: DanteMoltisanti] #884647
06/04/16 11:57 AM
06/04/16 11:57 AM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
A bunch of Luchese guys are there too and surrounding areas of Caldwell , Verona etc.

A few restaurants in EH / FP that those guys hang out in

I don't know specifics but those 2 seem to work together in their main thing

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884649
06/04/16 12:13 PM
06/04/16 12:13 PM
T
TonyManero Offline
Wiseguy
TonyManero  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Mobbed up Italian Neighborhoods in NYC appear to be completely gone. They are now full of hipsters or other ethnic groups. I've lived in Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, and Pelham Bay in NYC and it's ashame that those areas are different nowadays. Today, in my opinion, the only neighborhood that has a noticeable "mobbed-up" presence is down in South Philly. The area south of Snyder Ave.

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884653
06/04/16 01:09 PM
06/04/16 01:09 PM
D
dinocrocetti Offline
Capo
dinocrocetti  Offline
D
Capo
in ohio, cleveland had a large population of southern italians around orange ave, mayfield rd, woodland ave, euclid ave, Murray hill (feast of the assumption every year), collinwood, lyndhurst and bellevue. youngstown and steubenville also had a very large italian colony. in youngstown, the east side, the brier hill neighborhood and campbell. in steubenville, all along the river was italian as well as a bit north in east lverpool. the ohio river valley had the largest number of calabrian immigrants in the country, the ohio river valley makes up western pennsylvania, the panhandle of west virginia, steubenville, canton, youngstown, akron, cleveland and closer to detroit. the reason for this is because calabrians were mostly laborers and the steel mills, railroads, auto manufacturing, coal mining, limestone quarries etc. hillsville, pa had one of the largest italian colonies in the country in the early to mid 1900's, mostly calabrian.

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: TonyManero] #884660
06/04/16 01:22 PM
06/04/16 01:22 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: TonyManero
Hammonton, NJ is another town. It's exit 28 off AC Expressway. Definitely, a very unique town. It's been known as the "Most Italian town in U.S.A" (percentage wise). Most of the residents have roots from Gesso,Sicily. They are known as "Hillbilly Sicilians". The town has been the setting for scenes from TV series like "Boardwalk Empire" and "Making the Mob". Mainly, b/c Lucy Luciano and those guys hid out in Hammonton and hijacked bootleggers coming out of Atlantic City. Also, in 1990's, mob informant Ron Previte lived there and had a crew from Hammonton. It's detailed a lot in the book "The Last Gangster".

I forgot about Hammonton because I was only thinking about North Jersey. Definitely Italian, but I'm not sure how much mob presence there now in Hammonton, if any.

Last edited by Fleming_Ave; 06/04/16 01:23 PM.
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #884664
06/04/16 03:21 PM
06/04/16 03:21 PM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
East Boston still has more activity than people would think.. I would say Revere, MA is definitely up there til this day also.

People also sleep on the small towns around Providence, RI.

Last edited by RollinBones; 06/04/16 03:22 PM.
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: flamingokid123] #884765
06/06/16 02:47 AM
06/06/16 02:47 AM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: flamingokid123
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211

My guess would be Washington Township where I think Staino lived and possibly Georgie Borgesi currently?
Staino lives in swedesboro. Canalichio lived in township, right on ganttown rd. House is empty now. Ralphie Head lived (not sure now) in Whitman square section in township. Gorilla also lived in township back in the day with his mom. I think Whitman square section also.
Anthony Viesti who was very close too Natale has lived in Wash. Twp.also For a long time. He was involved in the drug trade. Natale testified against him after he became a rat.

Flamingokid appreciate the response buddy thanks for the info..didnt know that many guys were in south jersey..do u think these guys like staino and dame have any power in these places since theyt in the can? Wondering also if places like Sicklerville, Deptford, and Galloway which are kinda suburbs of AC have any mob presence?

Last edited by mikeyballs211; 06/06/16 06:23 PM.

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: mikeyballs211] #885083
06/09/16 02:39 PM
06/09/16 02:39 PM
T
TonyManero Offline
Wiseguy
TonyManero  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Definitely Margate and Ventnor. In Margate, Decatur ave is where Merlino family lived. Also, on that same street, but a different house/apartment, is where Scarfo and Leonetti killed Falcone. And when I took a tour in the landmark "Lucy the Elephant" at Margate, the tour guide told us mobsters used to meet up inside the Elephant to discuss business and talk on the beach right in front. Also, some elderly women told us back in the day, it was becoming so common to see mobsters in Margate that people started calling it "Mob-gate".
Also, in Ventnor is where Nucky Johnson lived for awhile(a few years ago, an apartment for rent on Craigslist was listed as "the Real Nucky Thompson's former apartment". It said he only lived there for a few years). Another guy who lived in Ventnor is "Skinny D'Amato". He ran the 500 club and who was considered the "Next Nucky Johnson" . Also, a couple of guys arrested in that "Borgata Scandal" a few years back, were from Ventnor. Think it was Andrew Micali?

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: mikeyballs211] #885084
06/09/16 02:52 PM
06/09/16 02:52 PM
T
TonyManero Offline
Wiseguy
TonyManero  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Cherry Hill had the "Cherry Hill Gambinos". They were Carlo Gambino's nephews. Think their names were Rosario, Joseph, and Giovanni. They ran Valentino's night club and some pizza shops in Cherry Hill. They had a crew. They were part of that huge heroin operation in 1960-1970's, think it was the "Pizza Connection".
Also, can't forget about that guy named "Cherry Hill Fats", he was 650 lbs and a connected-con artist/bookie type. There's a book written about him, but it's kinda hard to find.
Supposedly, Cherry Hill was a happenin' town with a well-known mob presence until mid 1970's. Nightclubs like the Latin Casino (it relocated from Philly to Cherry Hill in 1960), the Racetrack, and Hawaiian Cottage were popular hangouts for mobsters. Frank Sinatra and Fats Dominio were always playing there. Muhammad Ali lived there, too. Cherry Hill is sometimes credited as "one of the first Township police departments to have their own organized crime unit in the USA".

Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #885092
06/09/16 05:15 PM
06/09/16 05:15 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I think a couple guys are conflating Italian-American neighborhood with Mobbed up neighborhood. Two different things.

And it's 2016. Every ethnicity is mixing with each other. For better or worse. So do you count 25% Italian as "Italian-American"?

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: The Most Mobbed up Neighbourhood Today? [Re: NickyScarfo] #885174
06/10/16 10:06 PM
06/10/16 10:06 PM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
NYC has changed so drastically, and so quickly that I can barely recognize it. As far as I'm concerned it isn't NYC anymore. But that's another story...

Whitestone, Queens: Still mostly Italian and Greek. Changing a lot slower than Bayside, etc. Whitestone was the site of two recent Genovese scrapes. Also a good bit LCN activity since 2000.

Bayside, Queens: High level Bonanno meeting at a Bayside restaurant earlier this year (spied on by the feds). Bell Boulevard has always been, and still is, a trove of LCN activity.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull