GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CleanBandit), 181 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,044
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? #869195
12/09/15 02:10 PM
12/09/15 02:10 PM
A
Ant2000 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Ant2000  Offline OP
A
Wiseguy
With the fbi and police focused on terrorism, the Mafia has been given a breather and I believe new life. While the Mafia has faded away in places like Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Tampa and New Orleans, it seems like it's in resurgence in places like NY, NJ, Chicago, and Philly. Some of those families have stabilized after the beating they took from law enforcement in 80's through 2001. 9/11 has provided them a shot in the arm so to speak. In the places that it's faded away it's never coming back, however the families that still have a structure are on the same level of power as they were in the early 90's. From my count there are 10 crime families left with a real structure. They are as follows- 5 families of ny, Chicago outfit, Detroit partnership, Philadelphia, Boston, and nj decalvacantes. The families have gone back to basics, loansharking, extortion and gambling. My guess is if the fbi didn't reallocate resources towards terrorism within 10-15 years the only families left would maybe be the 5 families of ny.

Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: Ant2000] #869199
12/09/15 02:18 PM
12/09/15 02:18 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
depends what you mean by renaissance if you mean going back to how it was in the 70s and 80s then no those days are not coming back. If your saying it is stronger than it was 20 years ago and is in a position to operate as a powerful crimanl organization for the next 25-50 years i would agree

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: gangstereport] #869204
12/09/15 02:36 PM
12/09/15 02:36 PM
A
Ant2000 Offline OP
Wiseguy
Ant2000  Offline OP
A
Wiseguy
What I mean is having a criminal structure in place that has an impact on the areas it operates in. It will never reach the heights of power it had in previous decades where it was literally on par with the United States government in terms of power. This is in part because the government would never allow it and because the talent pool is not what it used to be. But i believe the government took its foot off the gas and has allowed the mob to regenerate some. If the government kept on them strong, the American mob possibly wouldn't have been no more in 20-25 years

Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: Ant2000] #869215
12/09/15 06:16 PM
12/09/15 06:16 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Ant2000
What I mean is having a criminal structure in place that has an impact on the areas it operates in. It will never reach the heights of power it had in previous decades where it was literally on par with the United States government in terms of power. This is in part because the government would never allow it and because the talent pool is not what it used to be. But i believe the government took its foot off the gas and has allowed the mob to regenerate some. If the government kept on them strong, the American mob possibly wouldn't have been no more in 20-25 years

i agree with that

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: Ant2000] #869243
12/10/15 12:15 AM
12/10/15 12:15 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Well the head of the FBI's OC squads in NY said just last year that the mob there "has quietly staged a comeback and is now more powerful than it has been in years." However, I wouldn't rate it as a "renaissance." Stabilized is probably more accurate.

Also, I don't think the situation in NY applies elsewhere. I don't think any of them have rebounded like the NY families. They are where they would be regardless of 9/11 and them appearing to rebound is due more to premature obituaries of those families. Philadelphia is a good example. We had seen several articles saying the mob there was all but finished. Then with the Ligambi bust, the press acted like the mob had appeared out of nowhere, when it never went away to begin with. Even after all this time some in the press can't resist the drama by going to one extreme or another rather than recognize the slow demise of the mob for what it is.

And I wouldn't put any of those families outside NY on the level they were in the early 1990's. In fact, I don't think I'd put any of the NY families on an early 1990's level either. The NY families may have come back but probably not to that point. You'll recall in the early 1990's the feds were still in the process of removing the mob from JFK airport and the garment center and hadn't even gotten around to major changes in the garbage industry, food markets, or the Javits Center. Perhaps it's as strong as it has been in NY since the late 1990's/early 2000's.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 12/10/15 12:17 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: Ant2000] #869296
12/10/15 12:02 PM
12/10/15 12:02 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Yeah, no way it is as powerful as the early 90s. No chance.

Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: Ant2000] #869314
12/10/15 04:19 PM
12/10/15 04:19 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
I always see that people think because the FBI is more focused on terrorism, they are going to make a comeback.

Ignoring the death of the traditional urban Italian neighborhood.

Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: mightyhealthy] #869323
12/10/15 05:01 PM
12/10/15 05:01 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy

i would say the five familys are in the best state since 1996

early 90s were hardly a good time for the mob gotti getting convicted casso amd amuso on the run killing everyone the colombo war the decavactes went into a power struggle philly there was a mob war. But i do agree that overall it was stronger back then

90s was the worst time in LCN history the heat they got from the feds was crazy the LCN i would say is in a stronger position now then it was back then

there has been a decline last 20 years yet i have seen no impact on the size of the mob and strength of the mob five familys i am talking about same size some rackets they have been pushed out of some they have moved into its all a cycle. Plus even though the quality of the younger guys has gotten worse there is still alot of young guys even if higher number come from the suburbs

Last edited by gangstereport; 12/10/15 05:04 PM.

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: Ant2000] #869324
12/10/15 05:15 PM
12/10/15 05:15 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Well if you look at the gamblinh busts they do earn a lot of cash and some of them live in luxury. They are becoming stronger but i don't think they will re infiltrate the unions etc on a scale we saw 30 years ago. So like ivy said its more like stability, renaissance is something whole different.

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: gangstereport] #869325
12/10/15 05:18 PM
12/10/15 05:18 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Originally Posted By: gangstereport

early 90s were hardly a good time for the mob gotti getting convicted casso amd amuso on the run killing everyone the colombo war the decavactes went into a power struggle philly there was a mob war. But i do agree that overall it was stronger back then

90s was the worst time in LCN history the heat they got from the feds was crazy the LCN i would say is in a stronger position now then it was back then

there has been a decline last 20 years yet i have seen no impact on the size of the mob and strength of the mob five familys i am talking about same size some rackets they have been pushed out of some they have moved into its all a cycle. Plus even though the quality of the younger guys has gotten worse there is still alot of young guys even if higher number come from the suburbs

I think we have to differentiate between strength and convictions.

I really feel like overall, just in general, their influence has waned.

Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: mightyhealthy] #869329
12/10/15 06:08 PM
12/10/15 06:08 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: gangstereport

I think we have to differentiate between strength and convictions.

I really feel like overall, just in general, their influence has waned.

violence wise yes but there is still mob busts rackets etc going on same things last 20 years until i see a real sign of decline i will agree with that but from what i have seen nothing has changed last 20 years

but i do see where you are coming from influence in certain things has waned but other things has grown i dont know to be honest this it wont be from another 25+ years till real decline starts to happen as long as there is young guys there will be a LCN when there becomes a lack of young guys thats when the problems start

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Is the American Mafia poised for a renaissance? [Re: gangstereport] #869335
12/10/15 07:56 PM
12/10/15 07:56 PM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline
Underboss
As far as New York goes then yes, there has been a resurgence. They are by no means close to where they were in the 70's and 80's, but they're certainly better off today than they were 15, 16 years ago. New York is just a different animal. Much bigger pie, more players, more talent, the other cities don't even come close.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull