GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (mobcleve, Toodoped, 4 invisible), 236 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,634
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? #865696
11/05/15 10:50 AM
11/05/15 10:50 AM
BennyB Offline OP
Made Member
BennyB  Offline OP
Made Member
What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg?
November 4, 2015
by John Surico
http://www.vice.com/read/what-happened-to-the-mafia-in-williamsburg-1104

Fortunato Brothers, the coffee spot in Williamsburg where a lawyer reportedly withdrew a suit over wheelchair access after learning of its alleged Mafia ties. Photo by the author

In a city like New York, the past dies a fresh death every day. As you read this, something special is being built over, transformed, forgotten, or turned into a Pret a Manger. That's the consequence of constant change: Nothing is permanent, and what memories we have are destined to be demolished by, or for, our descendants.

We're now building faster than we ever have before, and the sheer breadth of differences separating today's New York from what the city was 30 or even 15 years ago is extreme. One could argue that there has never been a time in New York where its incoming citizens have been more detached from—or completely unaware of—the city's recent history.

What was and what now is are nearly unidentifiable twins. And one of the most visible examples of this can be found in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, a neighborhood that enjoys a storied legacy of organized crime and Mafia activity.

"It was not necessarily the center of a lot of violence, but it's where many future bosses got their start."—Christian Cipollini

As anyone who has ever read the New York Times style section is well aware, Williamsburg is now synonymous with a hodgepodge of conflicting labels: hipster, yuppie, gentrifier, bourgeoise. In a way, the fire last year at a Williamsburg archive became an unfortunate symbol of the times: Developers have essentially pressed the restart button on newcomers' consciousness. You don't need to remember shit, just make sure you've got first and last month's rent.

Condos glisten above the once-abandoned East River waterfront; empty warehouses are now "loft-inspired luxury townhouses," and Bedford Avenue, a thoroughfare once littered with syringes, is now swarming with selfie stick–carrying tour groups and SoHo-style boutiques. But before it was a playground for real estate brokers, Williamsburg was a mob stronghold. In fact, the Brooklyn neighborhood stretching from the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway down to Grand Street—now known primarily by the broker-invented monicker of East Williamsburg—was not only a hangout for members of the five families of New York, but also one of their original locales.

"It was not necessarily the center of a lot of violence, but it's where many future bosses got their start," Christian Cipollini, a well-known mob expert and editor of Gangland Legends, told me. "When they came to America from Sicily, they chose their spots. And a lot of them came and settled in Williamsburg."

Long before Whole Foods announced plans for a block-sized store there, the Castellammarese crime clans called Williamsburg home. And at the tail end of Prohibition, a bloody war broke out between those loyal to a man named Salvatore Maranzano on one side and Joseph "the Boss" Masseria on the other. Both men were killed in 1931, and Charles "Lucky" Luciano stepped in to help establish five distinct crime families and offer some sense of structure to the American Mafia.

"What began in small places, like Williamsburg and Brownsville, spread across the country," Cipollini continued. "It changed the face of organized crime in America."

On a recent jaunt in Williamsburg, I stepped into Fortunato Brothers, an ornate Italian cafe on Manhattan Avenue, for a cup of coffee. The place itself is a rarity in New Brooklyn, where overpriced coffee shops are the rule, not traditional pastry makers with an autographed photo of Tony Bennett on the wall. And that showed in the spot's clientele: Mostly Italian-speaking residents ordered at the counter, and no one plugged into a Macbook was spotted anywhere near it.

For those who pass it on their way to the L train, it looks like an ordinary Italian bakery full of artifacts from the homeland, rainbow-colored cookies, and cannoli. Nowhere, of course, does it say that the co-owner of the place, Mario Fortunato, was once charged and convicted for the 1994 murder of a loan shark named Tino Lombardi at the San Giuseppe Social Club just up the block. (The conviction would later be overturned on appeal; in fact, Fortunato won a $300,000 settlement last year.)

But the man's status as an alleged Genovese associate is apparently still so entrenched that the lawyer of a handicapped woman who sued the bakery for not providing an access ramp dropped the case this past June because he was concerned "for [her] safety," the woman told the Daily News. "I used to make a joke about the men standing outside," she told the paper. "I called them 'The Godfathers.'"

Michael D'Urso, a cousin of Tino Lombardi who was wounded in the shooting that killed the loan shark, later handed the government 500 hours worth of tape, leading to the arrests of 45 alleged Gambino family goodfellas in 2001. By doing so, D'Urso, who was known for hanging out at social clubs in Williamsburg, became one of the most prolific rats in Mafia history.

At the time, the Daily News described East Williamsburg as "an old-fashioned Italian-American neighborhood, with pork stores stocked with plump salamis and fresh smoked mozzarella and cafes that serve espresso." Now a tattoo spot sits next to Fortunato Bros., and the sound of jackhammers at new condo sites can be heard along the street outside. The social club where bullets once flew is long gone, and the bakery's sign looks a bit decayed.

...even the mob can't afford the rent anymore.

Yet the Italian-American energy of the area lingers. Longtime residents hang red, white, and green flags from their windows, while restaurants' doors remain plastered with signs for upcoming Italian festivals. Graham Avenue itself is alternatively called "Via Vespucci," and you can overhear Italian on some corners. Still, the ethnic enclave seems strange for a neighborhood as developed as Williamsburg is now. The immigrant is increasingly out of place here.

Up Graham Ave, I met an older man named Jimmy, who told me he moved to the neighborhood in 1952, during the post-war boom, and has lived there ever since. He pointed to all the stores in front of us—a hummus market, an "urban puppy hotel," another damn coffee shop—and said, "None of this was ever here before." The area, he added, was "much more Italian"; now it's prime real estate. "Everywhere you go, there's a condo being built. It's terrible."

The corner on which I spoke to Jimmy features an architect's office and one of those expensive old-school barbers that are popular now, but was once a well-known crime family headquarters called the Motion Lounge.

An FBI surveillance photo of Joseph D. Pistone—a.k.a. Donnie Brasco—and Mafia associates from the 1980s. Photo via Wikimedia Commons

It was there that Joseph D. Pistone, the undercover FBI agent better known as Donnie Brasco, infiltrated the Bonanno crime family for six years. That's the same clan at the center of the trial of Vincent Asaro, an alleged participant in the Lufthansa heist of Goodfellas fame. The undercover operation ultimately led to more than 100 convictions of capos, soldiers, made men, and wiseguys, and a pretty decent movie starring Al Pacino and Johnny Depp.

I asked Jimmy if he remembers how long the Motion Lounge, and the Mafia life it brought with it, had been closed. "For a while now," he replied. "It left with the rest of the neighborhood."

Apparently, even the mob can't afford the rent anymore.

Graham Avenue Meats & Deli, just a few buildings down, also began to fade from the collective memory last year. The now-shuttered spot was once notorious to old-timers and newcomers alike for its enormous sandwiches—"The Godfather" being one of them—and was run by an alleged Bonanno wiseguy named Michael "the Butcher" Virtuoso, who died after pleading guilty to running a loan sharking business out of the back of the store.

According to FBI testimony, Virtuoso had a Rolodex of mob contacts there, with entries that are just fun to say out loud: "Vinny Gorgeous," "Johnny Sideburns," "Little Anthony," to name a few. He faced two and a half years in prison at the time of his death.

But local business owners I spoke with were completely unaware. They had only heard the owner passed away—not that he was apparently deeply entrenched in a Mafia crime family as of last year. No one seemed to know, really. When I asked a young guy at a cafe about it, he shrugged, and looked back down at his phone. Others followed suit.

Based on my observations, it was safe to say that the young woman jogging by, wearing a shirt that read, "The gym is my happy hour," probably has no idea that this used to be an area where you could get killed if you saw something you weren't supposed to see.

Bamonte's in Williamsburg. Photo by the author

In the times I've dined at Bamonte's Restaurant, the last stop on my mini Williamsburg mob tour, it felt like I was transported back to the scene in Goodfellas, shot from Henry Hill's point of view, when he's introducing the litany of mobsters to the viewers ("And then there was Johnny Two Times...."). The women still come in wearing flashy fur coats, with blown-out bobs, and the men are in slick suits, carrying thick accents. The food is great, too.

"I used to go there three, four times a week," Anthony "Fat Tony" Rabito, the alleged consigliere of the Bonanno family, told a friend in 2009, according to the New York Post. "They got great mussels."

After being released from prison for racketeering and extortion, Rabito was reportedly told by the feds in 2009 that he could no longer dine at Bamonte's, nor three other New York Italian restaurants, because they were "hot."' Prosecutors said then that the Williamsburg hang, which is nestled near McCarren Park and now boxed in by high-rises, was where Rabito held court to discuss mafioso matters, although the restaurant itself didn't have any crime ties. But the location makes sense: Rabito was one of the many mobsters who were booked back in the day by Donnie Brasco, in his case on drug charges.

Peering inside Bamonte's window, I was surprised to see a bearded bartender on the younger side, cleaning up before the day's work. I had this weird sense then that this is how the mob relics of the neighborhood will continue to function— as a culinary institution, not a hangout—while organized crime becomes less and less compatible with the city in 2015. Even if some ephemera are fresh, it's safe to say the Mafia has largely been outmoded by modernity, completely avoidable to those moving through the safer, glitzier neighborhood.

Still, the Mafia persists in some form in modern New York—increasingly toothless, perhaps, after years of prosecution, but functioning in different modes. In Williamsburg, the remnants of the former nabe are pretty deeply buried. It's not the seedy past of a neighborhood that we ought to romanticize or long for, but it is something we would do well not to forget.

"Of course, you need that change to happen," Cipollini, the mob expert, told me. "But really, you're losing a part of the city's history. And you have to ask yourself: What legacy did they leave behind?"

http://www.vice.com/read/what-happened-to-the-mafia-in-williamsburg-1104

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #865701
11/05/15 12:03 PM
11/05/15 12:03 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
I've never heard anyone speak Italian in Williamsburg.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #865719
11/05/15 03:55 PM
11/05/15 03:55 PM
M
moneyman Offline
Made Member
moneyman  Offline
M
Made Member
Nicky Sanatora's crew that got busted a couple of years ago met at sunset diner right off meeker ave a lot.. I saw Santora there a bunch although although I think he lives in long island....

i live in greenpoint, right next to williamsburg... yes there are a ton of real estate developments going on but the neighborhood still has a large italian population...
Bedford ave is totally gentrified but that was mostly hasidic and hispanic.. williamsburg between graham and union ave is still very italian

Rabito still lives in wburg, he's been back to Bamonte's btw, he's lost a lot of weight... not sure how active any guys are or anything... the guys who run carmines pizza on graham ave (right next to motion lounge) have been doing very well.. just opened a huge sports bar 100% legit but there are runners there taking bets almost everyday

Speaking of North BK I was at a bar in greenpoint last week and an old timer told me that phil rastelli actually lived in greenpoint and owned the motion lounge when it first started.. not sure if that was common knowledge or not but I assumed he was a queens guy for some reason

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #865725
11/05/15 05:20 PM
11/05/15 05:20 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Bamonte's was honestly just average. I have had much better Italian in the city.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: moneyman] #865726
11/05/15 05:32 PM
11/05/15 05:32 PM
BennyB Offline OP
Made Member
BennyB  Offline OP
Made Member
Originally Posted By: moneyman
Nicky Sanatora's crew that got busted a couple of years ago met at sunset diner right off meeker ave a lot.. I saw Santora there a bunch although although I think he lives in long island....

i live in greenpoint, right next to williamsburg... yes there are a ton of real estate developments going on but the neighborhood still has a large italian population...
Bedford ave is totally gentrified but that was mostly hasidic and hispanic.. williamsburg between graham and union ave is still very italian

Rabito still lives in wburg, he's been back to Bamonte's btw, he's lost a lot of weight... not sure how active any guys are or anything... the guys who run carmines pizza on graham ave (right next to motion lounge) have been doing very well.. just opened a huge sports bar 100% legit but there are runners there taking bets almost everyday

Speaking of North BK I was at a bar in greenpoint last week and an old timer told me that phil rastelli actually lived in greenpoint and owned the motion lounge when it first started.. not sure if that was common knowledge or not but I assumed he was a queens guy for some reason

I live a couple blocks under this neighborhood. I saw the sports bar Carmines opened. Pizza's not bad but haven't been in to the sports bar yet. I go to Fortunato's pretty often when I've got family visiting etc.. For the record there are always people speaking Italian in there.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867270
11/21/15 12:01 AM
11/21/15 12:01 AM
AmericanCrime Offline
Capo
AmericanCrime  Offline
Capo
I was just in Bamonte's and Fortunato's last Christmas.
I never really got the feeling

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: AmericanCrime] #867272
11/21/15 12:23 AM
11/21/15 12:23 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: AmericanCrime
I was just in Bamonte's and Fortunato's last Christmas.
I never really got the feeling

There are more cops and politicians eating at Bamonte's than wiseguys. When Ray Kelly was Commissioner he was there twice a week. Giuliani was there all the time, too.

As far as what happened to the Mafia in Wiliamsburg, it's the same thing that happened to the Mafia in the rest of the urban boroughs. Gentrification, assimilation and White Flight. There are still pockets of Italians left in urban Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx. But no strongholds. Forget about Manhattan. And Staten Island, while largely Italian, is too suburban to count. It's more like North Jersey than the rest of the city.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867274
11/21/15 01:20 AM
11/21/15 01:20 AM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Yeah, Bamontes is OK.

Honestly, I can think of 10 Italian restaurants I'd rather go to than deal with all the bullshit there. I had a res and still waited an hour.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: mightyhealthy] #867276
11/21/15 01:36 AM
11/21/15 01:36 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Yeah, Bamontes is OK.

Honestly, I can think of 10 Italian restaurants I'd rather go to than deal with all the bullshit there. I had a res and still waited an hour.

It's right on par with Dominick's or Frankie and Johnnie's Pine Tavern here in the Bronx. Good food. Lots of it. But a long wait if you're an American foreigner from Connecticut tongue lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867281
11/21/15 06:19 AM
11/21/15 06:19 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
the Masullo brothers operated a restaurant/front until they got nabbed

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: pizzaboy] #867394
11/22/15 03:46 AM
11/22/15 03:46 AM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button
People die, move, sell. But 10-15 years ago you couldn't walk up Graham Ave from the BQE to say at least Ainslie, Manhattan Ave likewise, Metropolitan from say Leonard to Graham and NOT hearing some Italian and lots of Spanish. There were still two or three social clubs that part WB ten years ago-- sometimes there would be small parades with marching bands, can't recall what Saint's day or other holiday they were commemorating. Go up and down Graham, you'll still see St. Cono icons and whatnot.

Also, I "suspect" there's more mob activity around then appears again this is consistent with greater trends in discretion, see also Bushwick, Ridgewood, Maspeth etc.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867428
11/22/15 01:45 PM
11/22/15 01:45 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Different neighborhood and Vito but do you think asaro was the only wiseguys in ozone park or was he just talking shit to his cousin. Just a huge population probaly 100k people and he's the only guy. Could you imagine just owner a building inherited from a grandfather of parents in bk your rich. Think It was Reddit this is what 1000 bucks a month gets you in NYC they show a bunk bed the top.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867429
11/22/15 01:49 PM
11/22/15 01:49 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

And on the rent subject are all them big brownstones apartment is the heat free? I just guessing rents so high cause heats free which is a biggie. My heating bill in my big apartment in a 3 decker can be as high 4 500 in February.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: pmac] #867430
11/22/15 02:09 PM
11/22/15 02:09 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pmac
Different neighborhood and Vito but do you think asaro was the only wiseguys in ozone park or was he just talking shit to his cousin. Just a huge population probaly 100k people and he's the only guy. Could you imagine just owner a building inherited from a grandfather of parents in bk your rich. Think It was Reddit this is what 1000 bucks a month gets you in NYC they show a bunk bed the top.

asaro was not the only wiseguy in ozone park? he never said that he said on tape that he did not know what was going on in ozone park trying to say that he did not even know what was going on in his own area saying he had no idea what was going on in the mob

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: gangstereport] #867433
11/22/15 02:40 PM
11/22/15 02:40 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: gangstereport
Originally Posted By: pmac

asaro was not the only wiseguy in ozone park? he never said that he said on tape that he did not know what was going on in ozone park trying to say that he did not even know what was going on in his own area saying he had no idea what was going on in the mob

Neither of you guys are New Yorkers, and that's fine. You're both valuable assets to this board. But if we're talking about TODAY, they don't call it Ozone Pakistani for nothing. It was largely Italian years ago, but not today. Just keep that in mind.

Then again, I don't really follow the court cases like you guys. And I don't read transcripts or FBI documents. I post what I believe to be true about people and places that I've known. Asaro's an old drunk who probably has dementia, so for all I know he may have been talking about forty years ago. And that claim would be absurd. But if he's talking about right now? Remember what I said about Ozone Pakistani wink.

Politically correct? No. True? You bet your ass.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: pizzaboy] #867447
11/22/15 05:49 PM
11/22/15 05:49 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Yeah, Bamontes is OK.

It's right on par with Dominick's or Frankie and Johnnie's Pine Tavern here in the Bronx. Good food. Lots of it. But a long wait if you're an American foreigner from Connecticut tongue lol.

Lol.

Dominick's is a spot I want to check out. I know a couple of Italian families that make an annual pilgrimage there...

You ever been to John's on 12th street? I think it's 12th street anyway. 2nd ave

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867448
11/22/15 05:50 PM
11/22/15 05:50 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
I'm sure you have... I know you're very familiar with the area... apologies if I asked you this before.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867449
11/22/15 06:14 PM
11/22/15 06:14 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Johns is all right, but if you're in that neighborhood try Il Bagatto on 2nd between A & B.

One of my all time favorites, and everyone I've ever taken there loves it.

In Brooklyn go to al di là instead of Bamonte's, the food is top notch..... or for the Bay Ridge wiseguy experience try Areo, epecially on a Thursday night.

Last edited by helenwheels; 11/22/15 06:21 PM.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: helenwheels] #867468
11/22/15 10:15 PM
11/22/15 10:15 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Johns is all right, but if you're in that neighborhood try Il Bagatto on 2nd between A & B.

One of my all time favorites, and everyone I've ever taken there loves it.

Very good, Helen. You can throw in Joe's on Carmine Street, too.
or for the Bay Ridge wiseguy experience try Areo, epecially on a Thursday night.

lol lol

I'm laughing with you, Helen. Not at you. Because for all of that narration about wives, girlfriends, Fridays, Saturdays and Copa crap in the movie, Thursday night was always the biggest night to hang out everywhere there were wiseguys in the boroughs.

Back in the '80s, Stevie had a place just north of the Bronx, in Yonkers. Every Thursday night there were guys there from all over the place. Roach's sister used to come in from from fucking Queens. She was a staple there. Anyway, the wiseguy crowd would get so fucking boiled from booze that any time a stranger walked in the place after 11 o'clock he got the shit kicked out of him for nothing. That crew was insanely violent back then, especially for their size. Bronx probably remembers. It was the place on Bronx River Road.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: pizzaboy] #867471
11/22/15 10:42 PM
11/22/15 10:42 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
Pizza hows you dad,, Helen areo is still happening on thurs. i thought ponteveccio was the spot

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867474
11/22/15 11:17 PM
11/22/15 11:17 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
I'm out of the loop, lol. Pontevecchio may be hotter now. But I always liked the food at Areo better than pontevecchio.

Out here in the 'Burbs the closest thing we have to a NY wiseguy restaurant is Buona Sera in Red Bank. And Thursday is still the happening night, even here. The food is good though. The crowd is funny - NY transplants, mixed with locals, people come from Staten Island too. You get a lot of older ladies that are shall we say - mutton dressed as lamb. There's a bar/club part of the restaurant that gets very busy

And no worries Pizzaboy, I know what you mean smile

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: helenwheels] #867475
11/22/15 11:45 PM
11/22/15 11:45 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss

In Brooklyn for the Bay Ridge wiseguy experience try Areo, epecially on a Thursday night.

I piss on that place. I was invited there by my youngest he lives near there. Even though I live in Brooklyn I never been there. I read the reviews they called it a wanabe mob dump. Talked about people going there in expensive suits and a lot of expensive jewelry. Also that food was just okay.

I dress like that when I go out. I dress like that when I go to the movies.

I read that so I went wearing a leather jacket. Plus I think I went on a Sunday. I guess that was old people day. Because there were a lot of old people there. Food was just alright nothing special.

My youngest picked up the tab. I wanted to leave the tip. He told me no he left it. We are getting ready to leave the waiter comes up to him and starts talking to him. Evidently, the waiter did not think he left enough of a tip. So my son gave him more money.

If that was me I would have stuck my fingers in the waiters eyes. When he told me I asked my son why didn't he break his fucking arm. He is a black belt instructor in Brazilian jujitsu.

I told him you still like that place?

only the unloved hate
Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867480
11/23/15 12:50 AM
11/23/15 12:50 AM
C
conopizza Offline
Button
conopizza  Offline
C
Button
Footreads, you or your son been to Campania in Bay Ridge, 99th & 4th? I'm still working way through menu but both pizza and entrees are excellent. I like Colandrea New Corner also & shit, I can't remember name but there was excellent trad red sauce joint with low key "mob bar" (allegedly) on 13th Avenue & 72nd or so, in Dyker for years, right by still extant Krispy Pizza...

re: Ozone Park, + Bangladeshi on City Line (Brooklyn) side of Liberty Ave + Guyanese all over Richmond Hill... Fulton St in Woodhaven majority "Spanish" (both islands & Central America).

Back to Williamsburg, real estate $$$ were still relatively low and space avail that as recently as 10 years ago there were still textile shops right on Metropolitan between Graham & Bushwick Aves, with many more stretching up into Bushwick proper and Ridgewood.

I know some people have had mixed experiences there but I did well at Frost Seafood many times.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: conopizza] #867483
11/23/15 01:00 AM
11/23/15 01:00 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: conopizza
I know some people have had mixed experiences there but I did well at Frost Seafood many times.

You mean the little place with the red awnings off Humboldt?

By the way, Cono. You really keep up with demographic shifts. NYC real estate is my living today, although we don't own a Brooklyn property. Astoria, the Bronx, and one property in Greenwich Village. Anyway, I keep up with the shifts because it's in my best interests to do so. But if you just do it as a hobby or from memory, my hat's off to you.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867484
11/23/15 01:02 AM
11/23/15 01:02 AM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss

Originally Posted By: conopizza
Footreads, you or your son been to Campania in Bay Ridge, 99th & 4th? I'm still working way through menu but both pizza and entrees are excellent. I like Colandrea New Corner also & shit, I can't remember name but there was excellent trad red sauce joint with low key "mob bar" (allegedly) on 13th Avenue & 72nd or so, in Dyker for years, right by still extant Krispy Pizza...

I think the place you're thinking of on 13th avenue was Romano, it was between 71st and 72nd street. It was there for years and years.

Last edited by helenwheels; 11/23/15 01:03 AM.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: helenwheels] #867489
11/23/15 01:29 AM
11/23/15 01:29 AM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
i used to go to ashes way back

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: helenwheels] #867506
11/23/15 08:00 AM
11/23/15 08:00 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss

I think the place you're thinking of on 13th avenue was Romano, it was between 71st and 72nd street. It was there for years and years.

I have been to Romano I thought it closed.

only the unloved hate
Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867507
11/23/15 09:43 AM
11/23/15 09:43 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I don't go to a restraunt to order pizza.

There was a pizza place I really liked that was on east 16 street On kings high way armando's. Place looked dumpy but their pizza kicked ass.

They they left decades ago and moved to Jersey. I actually drove to jersey to try and find the place. That is how good the pizza was.

My wife mentioned to me that the same people are making another Amando back here in Brooklyn. It has not been built yet and I don't know where.

When it opens I will try it and give it a review.

only the unloved hate
Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: BennyB] #867508
11/23/15 09:55 AM
11/23/15 09:55 AM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Speaking of pizza, the artichoke pizza guys opened up a sub place right next to one of their artichoke spots called Chubby Mary's. Great great subs but it closed. Never actually had artichoke but I can guess you guys wouldn't like it lol.

Russo's was the best Italian deli I went to downtown.

Re: What Happened to the Mafia in Williamsburg? [Re: pizzaboy] #867512
11/23/15 11:27 AM
11/23/15 11:27 AM
BennyB Offline OP
Made Member
BennyB  Offline OP
Made Member
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Yeah, Bamontes is OK.

Bamonte's is great. Try the mussels and porkchop. Also, if you are going on a Friday or Saturday night call ahead or wait like any other place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull